PDA

View Full Version : judging bbq sauce

Mr Applejacks
07-13-2010, 12:39 AM
Any ideas on which way to judge Best BBQ Sauce at a rib comp thats coming up?
I was thinking similiar to chili cook off style although I have never been to a chili cook of or judged one
or is there a thread on this subject?
Thanks

Lake Dogs
07-13-2010, 07:07 AM
Have them use whatever scoring system that you have in place for your other
(sanctioned?) events. It's going to be completely subjective. What one person
likes another one doesn't.

Have the sauce turned in using a cup with a top. No reason to have a ton; a very
small cup will suffice. When opened, place a clean spoon in each of the cups
at the table (open them all at the same time). The judges should take a spoon
or two full of the sauce and place it on their plate. They each then have their own
spoon (or multiple spoons). Taste, score. That's about it.

barbefunkoramaque
07-13-2010, 07:09 AM
Yep....its alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll about the sauce.:-P:boxing:

olewarthog
07-13-2010, 08:39 AM
I judge in GBA & there is a sauce contest at every event. Like Lake Dogs said small syrofoam coffee cups (6-8 oz) with lids. If you are doing blind judging, the team number can be put written on the side of the cup with a grease pencil. The tables have unsalted soda crackers & individual spoons at each place, but most judges dip out a spoonful or two & use the plain ole fingertip method. :grin:

Scottie
07-13-2010, 09:23 AM
I want to say the Jack has pork for the judges to sample with the sauce. If not the Jack, then some other contest I went to and that is how they do it. It's no wonder why my chipotle, raspberry, chutney sauce didn't win...

billm
07-13-2010, 10:43 AM
depends on the contest..I know some do both..judge out of bottle then on pork

CivilWarBBQ
07-13-2010, 11:07 AM
First let me state that I think sauce is the biggest crapshoot category at any contest. Winning a sauce category at a sanctioned BBQ contest is more luck than anything.

That said, I believe the best way to judge sauce is by making unseasoned cooked meat available to judge it with. After all, we are talking about a condiment here - what is most important is how it performs when eaten with the meat, not off a spoon.

billm
07-13-2010, 12:00 PM
First let me state that I think sauce is the biggest crapshoot category at any contest. Winning a sauce category at a sanctioned BBQ contest is more luck than anything.

seriously?? why would it be that different than any other category?

lunchlady
07-14-2010, 07:28 AM
I want to say the Jack has pork for the judges to sample with the sauce. If not the Jack, then some other contest I went to and that is how they do it. It's no wonder why my chipotle, raspberry, chutney sauce didn't win...

yup it's at the Jack... also no wonder why our caramel maple Jack sauce placed second to last... how yucky was that ? :puke:
but it was insanely good on the pumpkin custard profiteroles!

note to teams... ask what they are tasting the sauce with (spoon or pork) before you send it in. :doh:

Scottie
07-14-2010, 09:22 AM
thank you Michelle. I just didn't want to say who was doing it.... Honestly, I didn't know they did that at the Jack either. No wonder why my stuff didn't work. I was builing it off the taste of crackers... :becky:

Missed you guys last week.