PDA

View Full Version : Injection Direction

ModelMaker
07-12-2010, 05:26 PM
I did another brisket trial Sat and injected it with Kosmos beef. I noticed there was some staining in the brisket slices during post cook slicing.
Does injecting with or against the grain make any difference as far as leaving a dark spot in the slices? I don't think I saw any problem before with my other injection liquid.
So was it how I injected or what I injected it with?
Ed

Shotgun
07-12-2010, 06:32 PM
I would say with what you injected with. I have tried kosmos and havent noticed a problem. What are you mixing it with?

Ryan Chester
07-12-2010, 06:46 PM
I've probably done 50 briskets injected with Kosmos and have never seen any streaking. Im guessing its probably from whatever you mixed it with.

CBQ
07-12-2010, 07:11 PM
If the injector was dirty, bacteria can cause staining. Some hot sauces can as well - did you mix anything in with the Kosmos? Direction of injection should not matter.

Goin Que Que
07-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Go with the grain, I also use Kosmos just mix it at room temp. I'm new at competeing but I start at thin end of the flat and lay the injector as flat as possible 30 deg. angle or so and inject every inch on a grid patern, flip it over and do it again.

John

Kosmo's Q
07-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Hi Ed let me see if I can help. What did you use to inject the brisket with? What temp was the brisket when you injected it? Did you inject evenly? And finally are you resting the brisket any after injecting? If you would like you can PM me and I'll give you my number and you can call me tonight if you would like.

boogiesnap
07-12-2010, 09:08 PM
never had staining with Kosmo's.

Rookie'48
07-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Ed, I've used Kosmo's mixed with Swanson's salt free beef broth about a half dozen times with no problem. I inject with the grain & rub the night before cooking then let it rest in the fridge. I hope this helps.

BBQ_Mayor
07-13-2010, 06:55 AM
Judges don't count agianst staining.....do they?:rolleyes:

Lake Dogs
07-13-2010, 07:03 AM
Judges don't count agianst staining.....do they?:rolleyes:

Oh, come now, you know some judges some times do all types of
silly, stupid, unnecessary, and often downright wrong stuff. If they
think the staining didnt look appetizing, they'll downgrade. Worse,
if they think it somehow negatively effected the taste, more down.
Hell, if it somehow made them think it wasnt moist (even though
moisture should have nothing to do with presentation and appearance,
because the appearance of being moist and actually being moist have
little to do with one another) they'd downgrade.

billm
07-13-2010, 07:11 AM
one thing I like about Kosmos is that there is no staining...i inject with the grain as well

billm
07-13-2010, 07:12 AM
Oh, come now, you know some judges some times do all types of
silly, stupid, unnecessary, and often downright wrong stuff. If they
think the staining didnt look appetizing, they'll downgrade. Worse,
if they think it somehow negatively effected the taste, more down.
Hell, if it somehow made them think it wasnt moist (even though
moisture should have nothing to do with presentation and appearance,
because the appearance of being moist and actually being moist have
little to do with one another) they'd downgrade.

dont forget they may also think you are trying to hide something under that stain :-P

ModelMaker
07-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks for all the thoughts! It may well have been that I injected and had it on the heat pry within 30 mins. Next time I'll inject quite abit earlier.
And hows that for customer service from the Koz hisself!!!
A+.
Ed