PDA

View Full Version : Garnish in turn in boxes

Anchors Smokeshop
07-12-2010, 02:49 PM
How many heads/bundles of parsley do I need to fill 4 competition turn in boxes?
If I buy it Friday, how can I keep it fresh and not wilted if its not being used until Sunday?
Any tips would be great! Thanks.

Trucky1008
07-12-2010, 02:51 PM
I'm fairly new to the whole comp thing, but I've been buying 2 bunches of parsley for each box and this seems to be the right amount. I keep them in a smaller cooler with ice and they stay fresh.

RobKC
07-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Yeah, 2 bunches of good parsley should get you by. Wrap the parsley in a damp paper towel and keep it cool.

Ford
07-12-2010, 05:43 PM
I buy 16 and usually throw away 4 but sometimes it's poor or a bunch spoils and then I need more. parsley was 67 cents per bunch last week. I buy 2 green leaf lettuce as well. I have a fridge in the vending trailer so it's no problem but I used a cooler in the past.

Make sure to wash in ice water just before you start making the boxes and put a damp paper towel over the parsley when the box is made.

smknwhlswife
07-12-2010, 08:13 PM
I buy more than what I need so I can pick and choose. If you need them to last longer, you can trim them (like flowers) and them let them soak up some water.

CivilWarBBQ
07-12-2010, 11:51 PM
It all depends on the size of the bundles and their quality. In my area, about half the supermarkets sell big parsley bundles and the others sell puny ones. We usually have the produce manager bring out a fresh case and buy 10-12 depending on size and quality.

Garnish is such a low cost item compared to everything else you spend money on it doesn't make sense to try to cut corners IMO. If you have extra you don't have to worry running short, and several times we've given excess to other teams who ran into trouble with a shortage, spoilage or illegal greens.

big blue bbq
07-13-2010, 07:13 PM
I use about 8 or9 per comp and one head of iceberg lettuce. Publix has the best in our area