PDA

View Full Version : Mandalay Bay KCBS Contest

MrSmoker
07-24-2004, 02:17 PM
It would be nice if the Brothers could be represented in Vegas the date is Oct. 29 & 30. What if somebody close didn't want to compete but was willing to furnish a smoker and and a team could fly in. Or they could team up together. Just wanted to plant seed and see what happens.

parrothead
07-24-2004, 02:45 PM
I went out last year to check it out. Had a good time. Have to check the schedule.

chad
07-24-2004, 02:56 PM
Already committed to cook offs in October and November - could probably afford to fly out but would wind up sleeping in the cookoff tent!

As everyone should already understand you need a lot more than just a cooker -- tents, tables, cooler, ice, drinks, seasonings, charcoal, wood, water, a place to sleep, entry fees, meat, garnish, food for a couple of days, etc. etc. etc.

My rough estimate for a local cook off is $400.

A national "fly in" team would be great but you better have someone local who at least knows where the grocery store is.

mook
07-24-2004, 05:38 PM
HornBri and I have been discussing competing at the Mandalay Bay event. Problem is i would not be able to get him off the tables to cook.

If any brothers are interested in joining us let me know.

chad
07-24-2004, 07:10 PM
Yep! Lot's of distractions!! :twisted:

Sure would be fun, though!

parrothead
07-24-2004, 07:52 PM
If anyone does it, I will make it out there.

hornbri
07-25-2004, 03:35 AM
I would like too. The dates work for me. Mook and I could prolly drive in and bring most of the gear.

I think that event has a chili cook off as well, I may have to try that.

BBQchef33
07-25-2004, 08:05 AM
The Farkin Team Brethren are sweeping the Country!!!
Schedule look good from here too....

Wife just read this post... Shes got friends there...she stays with them. In her words...

We're IN !!!

So if the westcoast chapter will have me... I'm there too.

If we can get 6 or more.. MULTIPLE TEAMS!!!!

This is soo friggin cool!!! and im am psyched.....

In the immortal words of Jim Minion.... he sent me a PM after the grillkings event.....

"In your first competition.. you've were Bitten........ Your Soul is no longer your own. "

JIm.. your so right.. :)

david
07-25-2004, 09:46 AM
Now that I'm working I might be able to get down there. My sister lives in vegas, and we've never visited, so it might be time for a trip.

MrSmoker
07-25-2004, 11:34 AM
I'll be there, i was planning to judge, but i would rather team up with some Brothers.

Bigmista
07-25-2004, 12:05 PM
HornBri and I have been discussing competing at the Mandalay Bay event. Problem is i would not be able to get him off the tables to cook.

If any brothers are interested in joining us let me know.

I'm definitely interested. Maybe we could put together a West Coast team!

willkat98
07-25-2004, 02:04 PM
I won't be there.

Halloween Mod.

Its still too important for my kids.

And don't let Phil fool you. He won't be there either. If there is one holiday he needs to spend at home, it is Halloween

JacksonsDad
07-25-2004, 02:20 PM
Man, a chance to meet some of the Brethren, Q, and gambling...I wish I could go. I am already on a plane that weekend for Denver to watch my Longhorns stomp all of over CU....

We must insist on 1) a full report and 2) pictures! Hey, we need someone designated as the "roving reporter" who will post information at the end of the each day!

Instead if the quote from the great movie Field of Dreams, "Build it and they will come!" I propose a new slogan, "Smoke it, and they will come!" I'll leave any interpretations of that left you y'alls imaginations, I am sure some one will chime in with some thoughts!....

Hook 'em Horns!

BBQchef33
07-25-2004, 02:41 PM
sh*t, bills right.. I read this as Oct 2 & 3..in fact, just told John its the 2 & 3... and he has a wedding... If I would have read it right, i would have bills same response.

Ya see.... only reason I would have to be here is for the kids and sharon(halloween is her holiday)... So I just said "Sharon, vegas competition is day before halloween"
her response...."Halloween in Vegas?? sounds good to me!!"

So Im still in.

But that don't mean I can't fly home Saturday after the competition if they brothers dont mind cleanin up. :)

MrSmoker
07-25-2004, 03:31 PM
sh*t, bills right.. I read this as Oct 2 & 3..in fact, just told John its the 2 & 3... and he has a wedding... If I would have read it right, i would have bills same response.

Ya see.... only reason I would have to be here is for the kids and sharon(halloween is her holiday)... So I just said "Sharon, vegas competition is day before halloween"
her response...."Halloween in Vegas?? sounds good to me!!"

So Im still in.

But that don't mean I can't fly home Saturday after the competition if they brothers dont mind cleanin up. :) No problem Phil i'll help clean up,it's only a 5hr. drive for me, i probably won't come home until Sunday anyway.

icemn62
07-25-2004, 03:34 PM
Too bad it is during the Holiday. Halloween is my Mother-In-Law's B-day, And it is still an important time for the kid. The Grand kid will only be about 3 months old, so he won't care. Wish I could go and at least see what the competition is all about. The gambling would not be bad either.

mook
07-25-2004, 05:44 PM
Allright so it looks like this is gonna happen.

Horn and I can bring most of the gear. Any and all of the brothers would be welcome to help out. Mista and Big Mofo can travel together (yes I did just volunteer you both. iceman, you can hop in the car with those two and still be back in LA in time for the OL inlaws BD celebration.

Phil no sweat fly home saturday night, we will clean up behind you.

Mr.smoker, it would be great to have someone who's judged before on teh team.

David, DF, Parrot, John, and all the rest of y'all, come on out. it will be a lot warmer in Vegas then in most of your hometowns.

chad
07-25-2004, 07:49 PM
David, DF, Parrot, John, and all the rest of y'all, come on out. it will be a lot warmer in Vegas then in most of your hometowns.

Thanks for the invite but can't make it this year!

Tim and I are competing Oct 1-2 and mid-November here in FL so $$$ and time are already obligated. Also, have a Labor Day cookoff/meeting/judging school going with FL BBQ Association. Busy, Busy, Busy!!

If, however, it works and we (THE BRETHREN) start getting a calendar together it would definatley be worth shooting for next year. Of course we, THE BRETHREN, may be looking at dates in KC or Memphis or Lynchburg, too!! :D

I could definately see us getting a "national" team together for the American Royal Open next year! :D

hornbri
07-28-2004, 07:07 AM
WOW I have been working so much i have had no time to vist the board. Mook told me I better check out the thread.
I am excited.
Mook - we need to see if we can still get in. I heard once they were cutting off entries as soon as it got full. What was the entry on this one? I am in Ireland another 3 weeks so I will look to you to help work at the details.

Bigmofo300lbs
07-28-2004, 02:37 PM
Horn and I can bring most of the gear. Any and all of the brothers would be welcome to help out. Mista and Big Mofo can travel together (yes I did just volunteer you both.)...

Well, seeing as 10/31 is my b-day then I should be able to make this happen. How many teams are we having there? One? Multiple?

Bigmista
08-04-2004, 12:18 PM
MrsMista just gave me the go ahead since I can't make the Midwest Bash. What are the costs going to be and when do we start preparing?

parrothead
08-04-2004, 12:21 PM
MrsMista just gave me the go ahead since I can't make the Midwest Bash. What are the costs going to be and when do we start preparing?

Send me a check for 2k for a down payment and we will go from there.

Bigmista
08-04-2004, 12:44 PM
Ummmm...the check is in the mail?

badger
08-04-2004, 12:47 PM
Greg,

I will be taking care of the books on this one... please only send cash to me. You all should have my address. :roll:

Bigmista
08-05-2004, 12:06 PM
Seriously, has anyone checked to see if there is a spot available for this contest and how much it costs?

jminion
08-05-2004, 02:25 PM
I believe entry fees are $400 and there is still room from the last I heard.

hornbri
08-05-2004, 02:39 PM
Mook? you checked on this right?

Bigmista
08-05-2004, 05:01 PM
I sent an email to arlie somebody with the KCBS. No response yet.

Bigmista
08-05-2004, 05:09 PM
Just found this online...

http://www.bbqdan.com/events/heatin_up_the_bay_10-29-04/entry_form_2004.html

Still searcing for more info...

jminion
08-05-2004, 05:57 PM
Here is all the info on the permoter for this competition.

Arlie Bragg
ARLIEQUE@COMCAST.NET
Arlieque Inc.
PO Box 846
Mt. Juliet, TN 37122
Office: 615-758-8749
Cell: 615-477-7447

Bigmista
08-09-2004, 10:11 AM
OK,

I have infor from Arlie Bragg. He says spots are going fast for the competition since it was on tv. We need to get moving. We need to figure out who the head cook is going to be, and who is going to be in charge of the money. Entry fee is $400. We also need to make commitments on who is going to be there.

This is a big contest and we want to do it right so we need some solid commitments. Who's in?

parrothead
08-09-2004, 10:56 AM
I thought I was going to make it, but with the restaurant thing I will not be able to break away on the weekends for at least a couple of months.

Bigmista
08-09-2004, 11:31 AM
Is everyone else givingup on this or are there just not enough people online yet?

kcquer
08-09-2004, 11:35 AM
Anyone know where I can find results for last years contest? I've done several searches and am not coming up with anything useful.

willkat98
08-09-2004, 12:03 PM
I sometimes impress even myself with how smart I am.

Results brought to you by a guy, you guessed it, from Chicago

http://www.bbqdan.com/events/heatin_up_the_bay_11-7-03/overall_top_ten.html

Final results at the bottom of this page.

Go to the promoter's team mod

kcquer
08-09-2004, 01:15 PM
Thanks Bill, found what I was looking for.

Bigmista
08-09-2004, 02:09 PM
Still looking for team members...

BBQchef33
08-09-2004, 02:14 PM
I'm in. How many definites are there?

chad
08-09-2004, 02:39 PM

The Klose will be one heck of a checked bag!

cabo
08-09-2004, 03:06 PM

But! But! Honest officer I’m just going to Vegas to cook & that 1,100 lbs. suit case is just my BYC. :shock:

Yea Right! The next thing your gonna tell me is that your BBQchef33 of the BBQ Brethren. :roll:
Come with me, we gonna do a strip search.
Might as well call the “Brethren” & tell ‘em you’re gonna be late….HEHEHEHE. :roll:
Hey guys we got a live one here…. :twisted:

Good luck, wish I could be there!!!!!!! :!: :!: :!: 8)

MrSmoker
08-09-2004, 03:15 PM
You can count on me!

Jorge
08-09-2004, 03:16 PM

Just in case, Nu-Temp or any other probe...with the rest of the bags down below, but don't be surprised if it raises a flag. Take your chances on a stylus for a PDA if it's in the cabin.

badger
08-09-2004, 03:35 PM
I am in. I can't help out a great deal financially, but will be able to pitch in some.

I do have the following that you guys are welcome to:

6.5x10 utility trailer
Heavy Offset Smoker
Bandera
WSM
Weber Performer (you would probably want to bring a regular kettle)
EZ-UP canapy
Fold up chairs
1 large fold up table, and a small one

Bigmista
08-09-2004, 03:45 PM
I can bring a couple of fold-up tables, a cooler, Utensils, A small bullet type smoker and some chairs.

I will chip in on the entry fee and the meat.

I think theplan was for BigMOFO300lbs to ride up with me. Has anybody talked to him lately?

BBQchef33
08-09-2004, 04:18 PM
I'll fly to sacramento thursday and take johns trailer or someone from NoCal can drive it down.

MrSmoker
08-09-2004, 05:35 PM
Holy S*it i get to meet the Grand PooBah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrSmoker
08-10-2004, 08:24 AM
I went out last year to check it out. Had a good time. Have to check the schedule.It looks like this is set up in a parking lot,did you happen to notice if they allowed any RV's or 5th wheels to park at the site?

parrothead
08-10-2004, 08:54 AM
If In remember right from last year there were a few small campers scattered around. I guess as long as it fits inside your alotted space.

Bigmista
08-10-2004, 09:26 AM
I went out last year to check it out. Had a good time. Have to check the schedule.It looks like this is set up in a parking lot,did you happen to notice if they allowed any RV's or 5th wheels to park at the site?

According to the form, you can buy extraspace for RV's but you can only sleep in it on the night of the cook-off.

mook
08-12-2004, 09:43 AM
Sorry to chime in so late. Count on Hornbri and me.

Mista, sorry I have not gotten back to you, busy busy busy mod.

John, we should talk, Horn and I will be driving down and would be happy to have you, and your equipment along.

Now for the financial aspect, I will pitch in on the entry fee as well.

badger
08-13-2004, 01:40 AM
Mook,

Give me a call sometime, I definitly want to talk.

650-222-8516

hornbri
08-15-2004, 05:40 PM
Ok I am back from Ireland looks like this is bouncing from around still.

Who is in, by reviewing the list I see:
Me
Mook
MrSmoker
BBQChef
BigMista
BigMofo
John

I think we should just do one team, I dont need to cook, i think it will be fun to hang out and just drink beer.

If people want to send me a check for 50 bucks each, i will pitch in the extra 50 and send in the form this week.

Me and mook can get a trailer and pack up my truck for the weekend (john thats your ride :))

Sound good? Any objections?

Solidkick
08-15-2004, 05:50 PM
If people want to send me a check for 50 bucks each, i will pitch in the extra 50 and send in the form this week.

Just wondering, if you send in the check and the forms, doesn't that make you the head cook? Don't know that you then could set back and observe. Jim?, BrooklynQ? Midnight? What's your opinion?

hornbri
08-15-2004, 05:56 PM
Umm i could walk the turn in boxes in or something...

Actually, i was thinking i would just list someone elses name down as head cook.

icemn62
08-15-2004, 07:54 PM
Trying to re-arrange schedule. I will come down to view, if possible for 1 day. don't think I could make both, unless I can convince wife that I am taking her away for romantic time together. "Hey Look there, must be something going on in that parking lot, lets go look." Think that may work.

mook
08-15-2004, 11:05 PM
The head cook is the point person for the team. There is no requirement for cooking time and no check to see if the head cook is actually cooking.

John, look for a phone call on Monday.

Bigmista
08-16-2004, 12:57 AM
OK...a possibly stupid question but I am asking anyway.

Where are we going to sleep?

I know we will be sleeping outside by the smokers the night of the cookoff (which is allowed) but what about Thursday night and Saturday night? I know we will want to get there early to make sure we have everything we need. ANd I know no one is going to want to drive home on Saturday after the contest when we have been up most of the night before.

This will be Halloween weekend in Vegas. Room rates are thru the roof! Especially on that end of the strip.

Comments? Suggestions?

mook
08-19-2004, 06:24 PM
SLEEP??????????