PDA

View Full Version : Pork Box: Need Help!

mrice2311
07-11-2010, 11:52 PM
We entered our first competition this past weekend in Kettering. All in all I felt pretty good, we finished 34 out of 51 teams. Our brisket, chicken and ribs all went pretty good and finished respectfully. Then there is the pork. It came out great off the cooker, tasted good, moist, maybe a little overcooked. Then the presentation. We were trying to pull out six nice chunks and it didn't work at all, so we found ourselves hurrying to get something in the box. What is a good presentation for pork in the box? Pulled, chopped, chunks? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Alexa RnQ
07-12-2010, 12:20 AM
Pulled, chopped, chunks?
Any of the above can work. What's important is that the meat be arranged attractively, appear moist and inviting, and practically sit up and beg for the judge to take some. If it makes you want to dive right in, you're on the right track!

NRA4Life
07-12-2010, 05:50 AM
Mike, did you take any pics of your boxes? You'd probably get a lot of feedback from the members if you show what you turned in and ask for feedback.

TN_BBQ
07-12-2010, 07:19 AM
Slicing the money muscle into 6+ pieces and placing it in the box with pulled pork makes for an attractive box.

mrice2311
07-13-2010, 02:21 AM
This is what we turned in. You can see the pork was awful :roll: The chicken could use some improvement, too.

BBQ_Mayor
07-13-2010, 06:43 AM
The biggest thing I'm seeing is the parsley looks like it is tossed in the box. The stems are pointing up. If your going to use parsley, tuck the stems down. Green fluffy part up. Also, try to keep the greens as close in color as possiable. I see light greens, yellows and dark greens.
Brisket looks like it could have been cut on the wrong angle but can't quite tell from the pic. Ribs look like they are on the right track. I really like the chicken look. Could use a glaze or shine look to it. Pork looks good, just add more in the box. Fill it up.

Ron_L
07-13-2010, 08:02 AM
How did the wings score? I've thought about using wings but haven't tried it yet.

For the pork, brush them with the sauce instead of drizzling it on top like that. It will give them a nice shine. Also, turn the park towards the judges. Most of the bar is facing the back of the box. I would also try to put more in the box.

The previous comments on the parsley are good advice.

Capn Kev
07-13-2010, 08:12 AM
Try this...

1) Google the term "pork turn in box"
2) Click on the "Images" link above your search and it will pull up all the photos associated with that term search.
3) Go through the photos until you see a box you like: http://www.bigcreekbbq.com/images/2006_laurie/12_pork_turn_in.jpg
or this: http://image46.webshots.com/47/5/78/60/372857860zeYzMp_fs.jpg

Explore :thumb:

billm
07-13-2010, 10:47 AM
personally I dont think that pork box is as bad as you say..you can only arrange chunks or pulled so much
I would say maybe add some more meat in there and not do the sauce the way it is
I like the way the wings are arranged too ..never had the guts to try wings in a comp though

luckyduk
07-13-2010, 05:18 PM
I am interested how the wings scored, they look crispy, but I would devour a couple or 6. I agree with what was said above. The brisket looks like it may have been cut a little off, also I like to trim the fat off of my brisket a little and put the fat down in the box. Ribs are good looking...I cannot comment on the pork since that is my weakness!!!

mrice2311
07-13-2010, 10:19 PM
Thanks to all who commented, we really appreciate the advise. We decided to roll the dice and try wings in our first competition. We didn't expect to do great in the comp since it was our first, but thought something different like wings might get us somewhere. We actually drizzled a glaze across the wings before turn in. The wings got us 37 out of 51. One judge gave us 9's across the board. The rest of the scores were 7's and 8's. We will definitely put a lot more time into the parsley in the box.

Southern Home Boy
07-13-2010, 10:44 PM
With nice big chunks like that, I'd dunk each individual piece in sauce before boxing it. Provided your sauce isn't too thick, that is. If you dunk the pieces then let them drain for a few seconds on a paper towel THEN box 'em up, it can make all the difference in the world.

You just have to find the balance between a nice, glossy sheen from the sauce and hiding too much of the texture of the meat.