PDA

View Full Version : Need help - Catering/Events

Buckscent
07-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I have been Q'ing for a few years and wanting to get into catering and festivals. My delima is that I don't know if I want to get a closed in Q concession trailer or get a smoker on a trailer and add charcoal grill, sinks and burners and use tents and tables to complete the set up. My biggest thing is the things that need to stay cool. Like the tater salad, coleslaw and drinks. If I go the smoker on a trailer route I will need to keep all that stuff in a cooler. I like going that route because you you hit one of the peoples sences which is sight. Can someone give me the pros and cons. I just need help

Thanks

PCDoctor_1979
07-10-2010, 07:21 PM
The first thing you should do is to check with the local health department and possibly the city to see what they require for vending at festivals. The rules vary greatly by state and locale. Once you find out what the rules are, then you can start configuring your set-up. In my case, I have a kitchen built in a 1977 Step Van that I can use to pull a smoker if needed. Works great for serving at festivals or cooking for a catering gig. It's certified by the Health Department as a mobile food service unit.

HBMTN
07-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Here in Virginia it has to be a closed in trailer to get a HD Inspection. Like he said, check with your HD I found out they are not rattle snakes and are great about helping you get it right.

Ford
07-11-2010, 06:19 AM
In Michigan you can sort of do the tent thing but not with cold salads. To sell those you must have an NSF approved commercial fridge. Coolers can only be used for transporting to the site.

I went the trailer route using extreme BBQ trailers. James is a member of the Brethren.

cycle1667
07-12-2010, 10:38 AM
I don't know what your financials are like but have you ever considered a used catering vehicle, aka roach coach? They're NSF compliant refrigeration, water holding tanks, plumbing, great prep space on site and can tow a port a pit depending on the shape they're in.

C Rocke
07-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Health department first...

We use an Extreme trailer as well - Kitchen with a back porch for the smoker. Most important is what is legal, and can be maintained given your business model.