PDA

View Full Version : A Day in Brooklyn... Pizza Crawl !!!!!!

MilitantSquatter
07-09-2010, 05:02 PM
My father and I headed from Long Island into Brooklyn, (where we were both born & raised) to hit up several of the more well respected or legendary pizza joints in NY for an afternoon Brooklyn pizza crawl.

First stop was Difara's in Midwood section, home to Dom Demarco.. but we pulled up at 11:30AM and they were closed for a vacation.

Next stop was Totonno's, one of the original pizza joints in the US opened in 1924 . Located on Neptune Ave. in historic Coney Island section. Still uses the original coal oven. Haven't been there in a long time. Only choices are whole pizza pies (large or small) with a few optional toppings. Best thing was Mrs. Ciminieri @ comes to the table and all she says is " You guys know what ya want ?" How's that for Brooklyn service !!

Next stop was into Bay Ridge section of Brooklyn to L&B Spumoni Gardens on 86th St. Opened in 1939 and famous for their square sicilian slice and their homemade Spumoni. Used to go here a lot as a kid.. Pizza is OK (not a big fan of the square pie. Spumoni was as awesome.

Then we headed to north to Red Hook/Carroll Gardens section.. He wanted to try House of Pizza & Calzone as this was his local pizza parlor as a kid. New owners and not nearly as good as he remembered. Nothing more than an average NY street slice without much character (there's bad pizza in NY too).

Last was to Grimaldi's located on Old Fulton St. under the Brooklyn Bridge (see last pic - you can see part of bridge above the storefront) - also using a coal oven
Very long wait these days (about 30 minutes) as it's become a tourist trap... you wait outside until they call you in based on space limitations.. Good as I remembered.. Nice crust but I was stuffed at this point.

Totonno's edged out Grimaldi's on this day...

Taking a tour through the streets of Brooklyn was fun and makes you appreciate how different NY is from many other places.

We plan to go back soon for DiFara when they re-open and then maybe hit up two other places I want to get to.. Wouldn't mind another stop at Totonno's (and maybe a hot dog from Nathan's around the corner on the boardwalk !!! )

Thanks for looking !!

bbqbull
07-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Thanks for your thoughts on a tour of the best pizza places in your area.
No I could eat the arse out of a skunk.
Gotta go and start supper.

leanza
07-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Freekin tour of Mecca. Wow and thanks

Bob S
07-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Sounds like a great day Vinny:thumb:

ZILLA
07-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Looks good Vinny. My dad grew up in Bay Ridge, 6th ave. Cant remember the cross street. I'd love to do that trip.

leanza
07-10-2010, 09:32 AM
I would like a first hand opinion. Vinny, what does that coal fire bring to the pizza, in flavor, texture and appearance? Ive seen, but never beheld.

Westexbbq
07-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Dats a great trip for youse guys,
tanks.

MilitantSquatter
07-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Thanks guys..

I would like a first hand opinion. Vinny, what does that coal fire bring to the pizza, in flavor, texture and appearance? Ive seen, but never beheld.

I think the most noteable difference is the texture and appearance of the crust.. Notice the color in the fpizza pic... Dough is stretched thin and combined with the really high heat it produces a crispiness that does not exist on a standard stlice via gas oven at lower temps and even different from the Naples style pizzas that use the fine flour that comes out softer even with high heat.

Here's a shot of the underside at Totonno's ...can't find my pizza pic from Grimaldi's.. hope I didn't delete it. :doh:

leanza
07-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Nice char. I bet the pies are done in just a couple of minutes. Can you taste the coal influence? And that cheese in the first pic at Totonno's, it looks extremely white, it's mozz correct? and the sauce looks so simple.

MilitantSquatter
07-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Nice char. I bet the pies are done in just a couple of minutes. Can you taste the coal influence? And that cheese in the first pic at Totonno's, it looks extremely white, it's mozz correct? and the sauce looks so simple.

Yes.. they cooked very quickly... I think the coal produces a crust similar to what you might taste in a wood fired oven.

Anchors Smokeshop
07-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Pizza from Brooklyn? FUHGEDDABOUDIT! :thumb:

frognot
07-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Vinny, great info and pics!

Sawdustguy
07-12-2010, 06:59 AM
Next stop was Totonno's, one of the original pizza joints in the US opened in 1924 . Located on Neptune Ave. in historic Coney Island section. Still uses the original coal oven. Haven't been there in a long time. Only choices are whole pizza pies (large or small) with a few optional toppings. Best thing was Mrs. Ciminieri @ comes to the table and all she says is " You guys know what ya want ?" How's that for Brooklyn service !

One of my clients is Mini-Circuits on Neptune Avenue across from the canal. When I offer to take them out to lunch they always ask to go to Totonno's. My boss loves it because it's a cheap lunch on the expense report.

Swineola
07-14-2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the pizza scoop! It sounds like you had a great time.

I have heard from a friend that DiFara's is THE place to go. Sorry they were closed, I would love to hear how the results turned out with them in the mix.

Road tripping for food is heaven.

Sledneck
07-15-2010, 08:35 AM
Difara opening in Vegas (http://bbqilluminati.blogspot.com/2010/07/difara-pizza-to-open-in-las-vegas.html)

MilitantSquatter
07-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Difara opening in Vegas (http://bbqilluminati.blogspot.com/2010/07/difara-pizza-to-open-in-las-vegas.html)

pfft... not gonna be the same...

Sledneck
07-16-2010, 08:00 AM
no chit, i like the part about analyzing the water. Though i have heard that is true and a few place in Florida actually do import the water it all about Doms handling of the pies that make it what it is

vraknari
07-16-2010, 01:25 PM
First stop was Difara's in Midwood section, home to Dom Demarco.. but we pulled up at 11:30AM and they were closed for a vacation.

I played my hs lax in the area way before DiFara became this great pizzeria. And from what I remember, well I don't remember anything, it didn't really stand out to me at all.

Back then there also wasn't a two hour wait for pizza pies. But I guess Dom moved alot faster in the late 80's..