PDA

View Full Version : for those of you without RV's or campers

boogiesnap
07-08-2010, 09:18 AM
where do you go to get some sleep?
we plan on a pop-up, but for now figured the back of an SUV would do. but it seems most comps don't allow cars to stay on-site.
a tent would be first thought, but, even on asphalt?
a motel would be prohibitive for a number of reasons.
any thoughts?

HUCKS
07-08-2010, 09:21 AM
zero gravity chair under your tent.makes for a pretty good sleep

MikeR
07-08-2010, 09:24 AM
What he said ^^^

HandsomeSwede
07-08-2010, 09:28 AM
A tarp and a sleeping bag rolled out under the EZ UP. Best part about no RV? Doesn't take 4 hours to get out of the parking lot at load out time.

Balls Casten
07-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Our neighbor just got one of these. kind of spendy but seems to be very sturdy.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0054762518361a&navCount=1&podId=0054762&parentId=cat20146&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20075-cat20146&catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20146&hasJS=true

Vince RnQ
07-08-2010, 09:38 AM
I use a cot and a sleeping bag placed under one of our canopies. I'm not a back sleeper so using a zero gravity chair isn't a comfortable way for me to sleep.

ZILLA
07-08-2010, 09:38 AM
I have a Zzzzzzero gravity chair and an oversiZzzzzzzed cot, Which I use depends on how hot it is.

Captain P.J.
07-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Sleep at a competiton? What's that? :becky:

Muddy River Boy
07-08-2010, 09:46 AM
When I have been told that my truck can not be in the cooking area, I tell them that it is MY camper. It is where I sleep and keep all of my stuff. At contests where you do not have access to come and go I just make sure that it is in my spot just like everyone else with a camper. Usually when you put it to them like that they seem to take it a little better.

I once had an organizer tell me that having my vehicle in the cooking area was a fire hazard due to it having a gas tank. Well I said that was fine as long as everone with a motor home moved theirs out of their spots as well. He saw it my way. I personally do not understand why I should be punished because I dont have a big camper or motorhome????

Just my $.02

Sweet Breathe BBQ
07-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Under the canopy in a chair or in the back of the U-Haul with a back of pellets as a pillow

pomah25
07-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Blow up mattress also works great or a beach chair (reclining kind).

Diva Q
07-08-2010, 09:59 AM
I use a cot and a sleeping bag placed under one of our canopies. I'm not a back sleeper so using a zero gravity chair isn't a comfortable way for me to sleep.

I do the same. Although we do have a cargo trailer. I can't sleep sitting in a chair. So I get the cot and Vlad gets his chair (we bring Muskoka chairs) and the kids if they come get their tent.

TN_BBQ
07-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Blow up mattress also works great or a beach chair (reclining kind).

Yup.

An air mattress under the EZ-up will function pretty much like a tent if you have side walls.

I've also slept in the car. Just be sure to get one of those horseshoe shaped traveling neck pillows.

Lastly...don't laugh but I also bring a sleep/eye mask. Inevitibly somebody will have blinking lights or they'll set up a street lamp right next to your spot.

bdodd444
07-08-2010, 10:55 AM
I have a similar cot from Cabelas and sleep under my canopy. It has worked really well. Lights out at 11, check my smoker at 2, and up at 6. The only problem I have had was people not observing quiet time. The canopy doesn't do much for noise. One idea I have been toying with is airconditioning one of my canopies. I was thinking a portable or window unit rigged with the sides down, might make for a nice environment in the heat- kind of a poor mans RV.

sitnfat
07-08-2010, 10:59 AM
We use a portable ac unit. Our e-z up was a cool 69 degrees in lawrenceburg. When I tried to go back to sleep after starting a fire I wished I had brought a quilt. We also use the zero gravity chairs 50 bucks at wally world

boogiesnap
07-08-2010, 11:20 AM
When I have been told that my truck can not be in the cooking area, I tell them that it is MY camper. It is where I sleep and keep all of my stuff. At contests where you do not have access to come and go I just make sure that it is in my spot just like everyone else with a camper. Usually when you put it to them like that they seem to take it a little better.

I once had an organizer tell me that having my vehicle in the cooking area was a fire hazard due to it having a gas tank. Well I said that was fine as long as everone with a motor home moved theirs out of their spots as well. He saw it my way. I personally do not understand why I should be punished because I dont have a big camper or motorhome????

Just my $.02
i agree, my only caveat that i didn't really think of prior is, the vehicle will most likely be locked in. while i don't really have anywhere i can imagine i need to go, but, just sayin'.

outside, on a chair? or a cot?
if i gave you my wife's cell number will you let her know....:mad2:

Balls Casten
07-08-2010, 11:28 AM
I hear people really sleep well in those chairs.

http://smokerspurgatory.com/cooks/americanroyal/webgallery/content/bin/images/large/DSC04129.jpg

Scottie
07-08-2010, 12:00 PM
nice... Balancing hot dog as well...

I hear people really sleep well in those chairs.

http://smokerspurgatory.com/cooks/americanroyal/webgallery/content/bin/images/large/DSC04129.jpg

Finney
07-08-2010, 12:13 PM
I have a Eureka! brand cot that I setup under one of EZ-Ups. That thing sleeps great!

moocow
07-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Are there actually people out there who don't use RV's?:shocked: :-P

Buster Dog BBQ
07-08-2010, 12:45 PM
If I want to take my small 6 x 12 I use an Aero Bed on one of those pads you put under a sleeping bag.

butt head
07-08-2010, 01:47 PM
got a $25 cot at wallmart works for me. :thumb:

Greg60525
07-08-2010, 04:36 PM
I have the answer........get yourself an offset smoker and cook with all wood. Not only do you get no sleep or have to worry about how to get some, you might even get an aerobic workout........up every 20 to 30 minutes stoking the fire, checking the temp, etc..

I use a single 10x10 canopy, but just bought another one to give us more room. I nap in those zero g style lounge chairs, which I find very comfortable.

bodcat
07-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Air mattress in the back of the truck is nice although here in Kansas it can be very humid in the morning.

Bbq Bubba
07-08-2010, 07:35 PM
What is this "sleep" you speak of?

Sticks-n-chicks
07-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Are there actually people out there who don't use RV's?:shocked: :-P

Wow...that's harsh...funny...but harsh...I have to admit I don't miss sleeping in my Tahoe.

The Pickled Pig
07-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Drink enough rum and the sleeping details take care of themselves.:shock:

speedrcer1
07-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Keep in mind, a 5 x 8 uhaul enclosed trailer costs less than $20 a day.

boogiesnap
07-08-2010, 08:25 PM
^^^^HA!^^^
thats what happened last time! 5AM was a major struggle, and slicing brisket was a disaster!

fatigue is definately a factor a newb doesn't account for. and i would prefer to not be a newb for an extended period of time.

i'm trying to get my truck into troy as a "camper".
haven't heard back yet.
i feel that's still risky though. ran out of charcoal, dropped the brisket in the dirt, drank all the beer....:rolleyes:

boogiesnap
07-08-2010, 08:27 PM
hi speedracer, yeah, their cheap for a DAY, but i need it for 4. fri to pack, sat at comp, sun at comp, return mon. might as well get a hotel room at that point, yeah?

Muzzlebrake
07-08-2010, 08:35 PM
many of these contests let you bring your vehicle into the comp area after hours as long as you move it out again in the morning

MilitantSquatter
07-08-2010, 08:43 PM
I like the zero gravity chair and a sleeping bag...

swamprb
07-08-2010, 08:52 PM
I've done an air mattress and sleeping bag in the van or enclosed trailer, once at a local comp I dragged my hammock & frame to sleep in (that was nice!) mostly it's been the ZeroG chair until we got those bigazz Cabelas cots-they rock!!

pigmaker23
07-08-2010, 09:40 PM
there is no room at the Troy Contest to keep your SUV so plan ahead , thanks

i agree, my only caveat that i didn't really think of prior is, the vehicle will most likely be locked in. while i don't really have anywhere i can imagine i need to go, but, just sayin'.

outside, on a chair? or a cot?
if i gave you my wife's cell number will you let her know....:mad2:

watertowerbbq
07-08-2010, 09:42 PM
front seat of the tundra. if they can have a camper at their site, you should be allowed to have your car.

btw, since when is the gas tank of your car a "fire hazard" when it's on a parking lot? sometimes people need to pull their head out and take a deep breath........if that was the case, why do they allow the smoker and charcoal?

JD McGee
07-08-2010, 09:44 PM
I've done an air mattress and sleeping bag in the van or enclosed trailer, once at a local comp I dragged my hammock & frame to sleep in (that was nice!) mostly it's been the ZeroG chair until we got those bigazz Cabelas cots-they rock!!

:thumb:...add earplugs and a few brewskies...snooozzz...:cool:

ZILLA
07-08-2010, 10:46 PM
JD is 100% correct on the ear plugs. I use those expanding foam ones they sell in the gun isle at the grocery store.

Alexa RnQ
07-08-2010, 10:58 PM
in the gun isle at the grocery store.
That's odd. In California, our grocery stores never have gun aisles. :shock:

Rookie'48
07-08-2010, 11:05 PM
in the gun isle at the grocery store.

That is just ONE of the things that I miss about Texas :thumb:.

Jeff_in_KC
07-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Blow up mattress in the floor of the van... space heater up on the console in the cold months and the redneck RV window unit A/C perched on the platform I built for the drivers side window when the temps creep up to unbearable!

Now we've purchased a free-standing 12,000 BTU A/C unit that will make sleeping on cots in the enclosed EZ Up very comfortable! Someone had one in their canopy at Raytown and it was 73 degrees in there while it was low 90's outside! I was sold!

bbqdavarrow
07-09-2010, 06:23 AM
Our neighbor just got one of these. kind of spendy but seems to be very sturdy.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0054762518361a&navCount=1&podId=0054762&parentId=cat20146&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20075-cat20146&catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20146&hasJS=true

I have the Cabelas deluxe cot tent, the double size, your off the ground, your covered without putting up a tent, you just unfold it and your ready to go. You do need some kind of padding, there is a bar going down the center. I have an air mattress I put in there, drawbacks, it is heavy, cost over 200 for the double size and if you are over weight I would not recommend it.

TN_BBQ
07-09-2010, 06:46 AM
hi speedracer, yeah, their cheap for a DAY, but i need it for 4. fri to pack, sat at comp, sun at comp, return mon. might as well get a hotel room at that point, yeah?

I'd agree. You're going to pay over $80 for the trailer and you ought to be able to find a hotel room for that price (plus you get a shower and access to their pool).

dgassaway
07-09-2010, 08:29 AM
That's odd. In California, our grocery stores never have gun aisles. :shock:

Are you sure? It's usually over by the ice and crickets. :becky:

thillin
07-09-2010, 11:10 AM
I use a zero gravity chair in the enclosed trailer. But I'm going to get a cot. I'm a side sleeper.

The 13,500btu rooftop a/c is what really helps me sleep!

rksylves
07-09-2010, 11:20 AM
My truck has a topper on it so after I get all my equipment out I just roll out the air mattress and sleeping bag. About 9:30-10:00 I crawl in, pull the topper hatch down behind me and it's Lights Out til 2:00.

I was at one contest where they told me the truck would have to go out to the parking lot. I replied that I was OK with that as long as all the motor homes and trailers also went out as the truck is my redneck hotel room. The guy just chuckled and walked away.

Russ

Smoke & Beers
07-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Tent and air mattress seems to do the trick for me.

bdodd444
07-09-2010, 12:37 PM
If you really want to go for the "redneck Hilton", check this video out for a cooling system. This should appeal to those of us with UDS's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYS9YhAlwhM

Alexa RnQ
07-09-2010, 12:45 PM
If you really want to go for the "redneck Hilton", check this video out for a cooling system. This should appeal to those of us with UDS's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYS9YhAlwhM

I see a few blocks of dry ice in my immediate future!!! :shock: :thumb: