PDA

View Full Version : ribfest style questions?!

Gerrit_Boys
07-01-2010, 12:24 AM
There is a small town near me (30mi.) that is having a peoples choice style ribfest BBQ comp for the 4th. It's spare ribs only and they are saying that you need to cook enough product to feed approx. 75 people and all meat will be provided. It's $100 to enter and $500 to win with payout to 3rd and its being billed as the first annual. Aside from home remodeling projects and trying to blow myself up with chinese gunpowder I have nothing going on this weekend in SD. Any thoughts? Should I steer clear? Thanks for any advice:clap2:

Ron_L
07-01-2010, 12:34 AM
What are you cooking in? If you assume one bone tasting portion per person, at 12 usable bones per rack, you'll need space to cook 7-8 racks. Do you have that kind of space?

Also, since you're cooking for the general public, I would cook them to almost falling off of the bone, and go with a sweet sauce.

Good luck!

JD McGee
07-01-2010, 09:35 AM
What ...^^^... said...if you've got the time and the cooker...go for it! :becky: Don't forget to have fun! :cool:

Prairie Smoke
07-05-2010, 03:15 PM
So.... How did it go?

Gerrit_Boys
07-05-2010, 08:17 PM
I ended up building a deck for my dad, painting in the house, & catching the Independence Day Parade & Fireworks. Hope it went well for them, I'd like to take part next year possibly. Those small towns have awesome 4th celebrations! I did get a wild turkey smoked this weekend that turned out real good!!:-D