PDA

View Full Version : One weekend, two contests

Alexa RnQ
06-29-2010, 09:10 PM
RnQ is about to embark on another nutso ironman adventure --

On Friday, we're going to drive up to the Williams, Arizona contest, set up and cook as usual.

Directly after turn-ins we're going to break down, pack, and drive like bats out of hell for Durango, Colorado. We'll pull in sometime after 10pm-ish, set up and cook all over again for the entries on Sunday.

Who's done this? Tell me we're not going to die.

More importantly, who thought this was a great idea??? :shock:

Vince RnQ
06-29-2010, 09:13 PM

That would be me.

Dan - 3eyzbbq
06-29-2010, 09:15 PM
I like it! Good luck and be safe about it.

swamprb
06-29-2010, 09:18 PM
You'll fit in nicely with the Portland Posse! Those farkers are true Road Warriors!
Sugar's BBQ, Ella's BBQ, Ciderhouse and Slabtown nothing holds them back!
Black Lake (PNWBA) and Bellevue (KCBS) the same weekend-gamers!

Vince RnQ
06-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Those kids from Piggy D's sure do get piggy with it!

swamprb
06-29-2010, 09:20 PM
Those kids from Piggy D's sure do get piggy with it!

In a big way!

Ryan Chester
06-29-2010, 09:21 PM
RnQ can do anything...Come on!!!

Jeff_in_KC
06-29-2010, 11:13 PM
We are planning the same thing the following weekend... we have a Saturday/Sunday contest in the area (not the norm around here) and I got the hair-brain idea to drive 35 miles east to Warrensburg to compete in a Friday/Saturday contest. My wife would take another cooler of meat for check-in and most of our supplies up to Weston Saturday while I'm doing turn-ins at Warrensburg. Then after awards, I haul butt about 90 minutes northwest to the second contest.

Only one problem... Warrensburg (the Fri/Sat event) currently only has 12 teams signed up. After the issue with Independence last weekend, I'm not going east for less than 30 teams next week. So... if you wanna see if our wild plan works, sign up for Warrensburg so we can give it a whirl! LOL!

bbqbull
06-29-2010, 11:30 PM
I am no veteran at doing comps but here is what I can tell you.
I did the Invitational and the open last year at the American Royal........I was one whipped pit bitch come Sat. afternoon at the awards.
I did have a 2 hr nap in that time period, but I am not 25 yrs young anymore either.
Good luck to you younger whippersnappers who are doing this dual contest thing.

Alexa RnQ
06-29-2010, 11:31 PM
I haul butt about 90 minutes
Lightweight.

http://www.divaherself.com/funny/shiner.gif

Jacked UP BBQ
06-29-2010, 11:42 PM
That is sweet. I wish I could do that around here. Good Luck

Rookie'48
06-30-2010, 12:07 AM
Waterloo / La Porte City, Iowa. Same deal but it's only about 12 miles apart!

KC_Bobby
06-30-2010, 12:11 AM
Waterloo and La Porte Ia do this. Waterloo is Fri/Sat and La Porte is Sat/Sun. The comps are only about 15-20 miles apart from each other which is great for the obvious reason but also because all the serious competitors are going to also do both - so getting their late in the day is not really a disadvantage as nearly all the teams are doing both (other than a few locals)

Pack light, have fun, good luck and drink your Gatorades!

Oh Kay Cee's
06-30-2010, 12:32 AM
Good Luck Mr.Rhythm n Miss. Que!!!! Going for the 3 straight in Durango!!!!

KC

Vince RnQ
06-30-2010, 02:40 AM
Good Luck Mr.Rhythm n Miss. Que!!!! Going for the 3 straight in Durango!!!!

KC

Thanks for the well wishes and congrats on your RGC last weekend. Sorry we didn't get to spend more time together but there's always next time!

Oh, and it should read Ms. Rhythm and Mr. Que. We certainly don't want to have any Miss Ques at a contest. (There's no pun like a bad pun!!!)

trohrs123
06-30-2010, 06:41 AM
did it this past April. Cooked Pork in the Park in Salsbury MD...left from awards to drive 5 hours back to NY to cook Williepalooza...didnt get there until almost 1 am and everyhting had to go hot and fast...will NOT do it again

tonto1117
06-30-2010, 07:42 AM
We know you two can cook back to back's (and win:thumb:) with out a doubt...it's the tear down, drive, set up part that's a killer. I'm sure if you all schedule some power naps and take turns driving you will be fine. Best of luck and be safe!!:wink:

Captain Caveman
06-30-2010, 08:38 AM
We are planning the same thing the following weekend... we have a Saturday/Sunday contest in the area (not the norm around here) and I got the hair-brain idea to drive 35 miles east to Warrensburg to compete in a Friday/Saturday contest. My wife would take another cooler of meat for check-in and most of our supplies up to Weston Saturday while I'm doing turn-ins at Warrensburg. Then after awards, I haul butt about 90 minutes northwest to the second contest.

Only one problem... Warrensburg (the Fri/Sat event) currently only has 12 teams signed up. After the issue with Independence last weekend, I'm not going east for less than 30 teams next week. So... if you wanna see if our wild plan works, sign up for Warrensburg so we can give it a whirl! LOL!

Jeff,
That was my plan too, But Weston was full. That is the weekend of my birthday, and my wife was going to let me do 2 comps in 1 weekend.
Oh well, I guess I will just take the weekend off.
Good Luck!

Good Luck R&Q I am sure you guys will hold up just fine.

Divemaster
06-30-2010, 09:01 AM
We are doing the Back to Back in Iowa... Actually, we are thinking that it was training for the AR...

I like the idea of sending the meat forward. We'll have two trucks so Ramona and one of the guys are going to fly over, get the meat inspected, save our spot, and then come back for the awards...

ThomEmery
06-30-2010, 09:06 AM
RnQ is about to embark on another nutso ironman adventure --

On Friday, we're going to drive up to the Williams, Arizona contest, set up and cook as usual.

Directly after turn-ins we're going to break down, pack, and drive like bats out of hell for Durango, Colorado. We'll pull in sometime after 10pm-ish, set up and cook all over again for the entries on Sunday.

Who's done this? Tell me we're not going to die.

Hey how about doing three in one weekend?
Naw that would be crazy
Good Luck on this new adventure

big matt
06-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Wow you two are BBQ warriors!..that town car is gonna be petal to metal..Farkin Awesome stuff guys!

Alexa RnQ
06-30-2010, 10:27 AM
it's the tear down, drive, set up part that's a killer.
Yup. Just the perfect setup for driving the Colorado mountains at night. :tsk: If there's anything that inspires us to finally master the one-popup, minimal-crap setup, this will be it.

Hey how about doing three in one weekend?
Been there, done that, twice. http://www.divaherself.com/funny/shiner.gif

Capn Kev
06-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Good luck Vince, be safe on those streets of Durango! Drive safe, and have a great 4th of July. Something tells me you have a decent shot at tagging 2 GC's this weekend. :-D

Westexbbq
06-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Good luck and happy trails!

Vince RnQ
06-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Good luck Vince, be safe on those streets of Durango! Drive safe, and have a great 4th of July. Something tells me you have a decent shot at tagging 2 GC's this weekend. :-D

Thanks! I guess the good news is that since we'll be arriving sometime near 10pm on Saturday night and getting set up, there won't be much time to worry about having to sleep in the danger zone!

Winning two contests in two different cities on consecutive days would be awesome but we sure will need a lot of good luck for that to happen. I'm really excited by the challenge of doing it and I know we won't be alone as I've heard that at least two other teams are doing both Williams and Durango this weekend.

Scottie
06-30-2010, 03:35 PM
I've ownne it a few times. Even having to separate 2 kids on my own... So it can be done...

Jeff_in_KC
06-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Jeff,
That was my plan too, But Weston was full. That is the weekend of my birthday, and my wife was going to let me do 2 comps in 1 weekend.
Oh well, I guess I will just take the weekend off.
Good Luck!

Good Luck R&Q I am sure you guys will hold up just fine.

Chad, come on up and cook Warrensburg then... and you can help me tear down for the trip to Weston! LOL!

Vince RnQ
06-30-2010, 04:14 PM
I've ownne it a few times. Even having to separate 2 kids on my own... So it can be done...

Yeah but World Champions can do anything!

G$
06-30-2010, 06:14 PM
Be safe guys. That is no "short hop" from Williams to Durango.

Scottie
06-30-2010, 06:31 PM
Yeah but World Champions can do anything!

Except spell......

Vince RnQ
06-30-2010, 08:10 PM
Be safe guys. That is no "short hop" from Williams to Durango.

With all the miles we travel, 6 hours seems like a short hop these days!

We'll be well rested going into the weekend. All the prep will be done before bed tonight and that means we just have to pack the coolers and the trailer tomorrow evening.

Are you guys coming up to Williams?

tonto1117
07-05-2010, 07:47 AM
:clap2::clap::whoo:A huge congratulations to you both for taking Grand Champion in Williams AZ and following it up with a Reserve Grand Champion in Durango CO!!!:hail:Outstanding!!!!!

Yup. Just the perfect setup for driving the Colorado mountains at night. :tsk: If there's anything that inspires us to finally master the one-popup, minimal-crap setup, this will be it.

Just curios...did the conversation take place between AZ to CO, or on the way home.....:-P:becky:

Diva Q
07-05-2010, 08:57 AM
:clap2::clap::whoo:A huge congratulations to you both for taking Grand Champion in Williams AZ and following it up with a Reserve Grand Champion in Durango CO!!!:hail:Outstanding!!!!!

Congratulations!! Thats AWESOME!!

Rich Parker
07-05-2010, 09:13 AM
Congratulations!

big matt
07-05-2010, 09:21 AM
Awesome job you two!!..all you need is one more and your in the jack for the 3rd time right?...great job and we'll see you in Vista.

thillin
07-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Congrats! That's awsome.

Desert Dweller
07-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Congratulations! I don't know how you did it! I was at Williams w/AZBarbeque Team, and by Sat after awards I was sooooo whipped all I could do was head for the Motel and call it a night. Sorry I did not get a chance to introduce myself, I will look for you at Prescott.

Buster Dog BBQ
07-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Great job.

luckyduk
07-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Awesome job, that's impressive!!!!

Funtimebbq
07-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Congrats to you both for the awsome performance.

Benny

JD McGee
07-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Congrats guys! Now...get some sleep! :becky:

Rub
07-05-2010, 03:37 PM
BBQ Rockstars I tell ya! Congratulations!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

ThomEmery
07-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Very NICE

Captain Caveman
07-05-2010, 04:39 PM
SWEET! Good Job!

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
07-05-2010, 04:45 PM
congrats...I still think the idea of 2 in one weekend is nuts but...congrats you pulled it off..

RobKC
07-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Awesome job!!!

Finney
07-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Congratulations!!!
That's awesome.

Jeff_in_KC
07-05-2010, 09:45 PM
LOL! No posts by Vince or Alexa since! Must still be sleeping! Congrats, you guys! That's awesome! Still no word yet here as to whether we are going to get to try it ourselves. Last I heard, leg one of the Oddessy is still lacking for teams.

Alexa RnQ
07-05-2010, 11:53 PM
We're home now, the trailer's contents have been unloaded and put away, and yes, we're dead puppies.

Just curios...did the conversation take place between AZ to CO, or on the way home.....:-P:becky:
Shortly out of Williams, we were having calls phoned in to us as they occurred -- and you should have heard VQ after the pork and brisket calls! Needless to say, a little adrenaline helped make the drive to Durango go by!

On the way back today, though... yes, the reduced pack was discussed in GREAT detail! :doh:

Thanks to you all for the congrats -- it was a noble goal, we were brave and glad in the attempt, and we might pull it off again someday with a bit less gear in tow.

Matt, we'll see you at the beach, and Bo, we'll see you up in the cool pines!

Vince RnQ
07-06-2010, 12:19 AM
We're back home from our little weekend getaway and we're both still whipped!!

We had to leave Williams for Durango before the awards ceremony but Kim Walton of QN4U called us after each category was announced to let us know what was going on. It must have been pretty exciting as our good friend Jay "Jaybird" Benedict of Otis and The Bird earned 1st Place honors in Chicken & Ribs and we were call for 1st Place in Pork & Brisket. We were 2nd in Chicken and 5th in Ribs and Jaybird was 7th in Pork and 4th in Brisket. Both our teams were Top 10 in all categories so it was down to points and we were fortunate to come out on top. The funny thing was that earlier in the week we had asked Jay if he would take our walks for us as we knew we would be leaving early. He said he'd be happy to. So, when we were saying our goodbyes before leaving for Durango, I held up my hands with fingers extended and said to Jay, "Ten walks today, buddy. That's what we're looking for. Ten walks." I had no idea it would actually happen!! I sure hope Jaybird was plum tuckered out from all those trips to the stage!

Williams was a great event and although a first time contest it seemed like it had been going on for years as everything was so well done. Thanks to everyone involved for all the hard work and for making it such a great day!

We pulled into our contest spot in Durango at about 11:00pm, a few hours behind Kelly of 4 Legs Up and about an hour ahead of Max of Mad Max's BBQ, both of whom had also competed in Williams. Merl met us and we were happy to find that we would be setting up next to our friends Mike and Vanessa of Hoochie Que out of Park City, UT. We've competed with them a few times at events in Utah and we were also neighbors last year at The Jack. Mike helped us unload our trailer and get our canopies up and before we knew it we were prepping meat and cookers.

Although we were both pretty tired, the cook went very well. Alexa had gotten a fairly decent night of sleep at the hotel and I caught a couple of hours on the cot between 4:00am and 6:00am which was enough to make it through turn ins. I then proceeded to crash into a hard hour of sleep back on the cot and woke up about 2:45pm. Awards began about and hour after that and we hit the Top 10 in three of the four categories which was enough to earn the event RGC behind GC Florida Skin & Bones. The folks behind the Durango contest once again did a fantastic job, overcame some lousy obstacles and still managed to bring a qualifier to the teams. This is a great small town contest that we look forward to being a part of for many years to come!

After getting everything packed back into the trailer, we waited with our friend Mike of the Wild Hogs BBQ team over in Buckley Park where we ate some delicious pizza and then enjoyed the wonderful fireworks display that Durango puts on. Mike and Vanessa came back for the fireworks and we all congratulated them again on their 1st Place Brisket call in the contest. They thought their brisket was just awful and told me so just after turn in and it was at that moment that I knew they'd be taking the Big Brisket Call. After the fireworks we all said our goodbyes and I don't think I had been in the hotel room for more than 5 minutes before I was sound asleep!

Looking back, it was a hard weekend but, like all contest weekends, well worth the effort it takes because they are always filled with great moments that become great memories. It was an honor to participate in both the Williams and Durango contests and we're very happy with our results. And about that question that might be on your mind: "Would you do it again?"

My answer: "Hell yes!!!"

Chenernator
07-06-2010, 12:43 AM
Way to go! Looking forward to seeing you in Mesquite.

Ryan Chester
07-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Never doubted you guys for a second. Great job!!!

G$
07-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Congratulations, you guys are incredible.

Vince RnQ
07-07-2010, 12:30 PM
The Glorified Firetender's Recovery Update: After my third consecutive night of getting at least 8 hours of sleep...

...I'm still ready for a nap!

boogiesnap
07-07-2010, 01:19 PM
that sure is mighty impressive. congratulations!

Smokin Mike
07-07-2010, 10:10 PM
that was a awesome story visionquest!