PDA

View Full Version : Presentation do's and don'ts

FullyInvolvedBBQ
06-29-2010, 05:55 PM
I'm kinda new at this and I was wondering about what the judges look for for Presentation of the four meat groups. Especially in regards to color, arrangement in the box, cuts from the same chunk of meat... and maybe some do's and don'ts. I've only cooked in one competition and I seemed to do OK, but I really had no idea what I was doing. I would hate to get gigged on how I put it in the box!

Red Valley BBQ
06-29-2010, 06:03 PM
Do you have any pics? It would be easier to critique if there were some pics to look at.

FullyInvolvedBBQ
06-29-2010, 06:18 PM
I didn't take any pics, but I'm doing another one on the 9th and 10th (Hobe Sound BBQ Festival) and I'll have to take some then. The biggest problem I had was fitting all 8 ribs in the box. There just wasn't enough room to arrange them neatly. Also, I didn't know if I should use something like an ice cream scoop or just pile up the pork (individual piles or one big one?). One mistake I think I made with the pork was I just pulled it off the butt, instead of chopping it a little. I notice that most everybody gets it into smaller pieces

boogiesnap
06-29-2010, 07:55 PM
take a look at the worst turn in box thread.
do some more looking here, lots and lots of great turn in boxes here.
then wander over to the pickled pig website. they post their boxes, and they win ALOT.

Rub
06-29-2010, 08:06 PM
Hey FIBBQ, when you're at Hobe Sound ask the lead rep to let you look at the photo album they all carry with. It has lots of pics of FBA turn in boxes. It's bad luck for me to take a pic of my box or I'd send you some. :-P

Also if you go to the FBA's facebook page and search around for Jimmy Brod's posts a ways down, you'll see lots of great pics he's posted.

Glad you're coming out and cooking with us!

Ron_L
06-29-2010, 08:07 PM
take a look at the worst turn in box thread.
do some more looking here, lots and lots of great turn in boxes here.
then wander over to the pickled pig website. they post their boxes, and they win ALOT.

Good advice. There are also lots of thread here where folks post pictures of their boxes and get good feedback. Read those and take notes of the feedback.

The real key it to highlight the meat and use the garnish as a frame to make the meat look better. You want the judges to look at the meat and want to take a piece and take a bite.

Bbq Bubba
06-29-2010, 10:03 PM
I don't think they use garnish in the FBA.

You got it easy. :twisted: