PDA

View Full Version : Need to vent about contest this weekend

tennispro
06-28-2010, 05:38 PM
I am cooking in a rib contest on Sat. We were told this is going to be the first year that we will be aloud to sell ribs. But we have to buy them on site from a local meat market. The price is $4 a slab:-D you can't beat the price.

Now for the bad part. I just got an email from the guy running it that I will not be aloud to start my contest ribs till noon to be fair to the other teams. It says right in the entry or that "Rib fest officially starts at noon but cooking will be allowed to begin before that. Judging will begin at 4 pm sharp."

Now am i reading that wrong or does it not say that I will be aloud to start cooking before noon??? I have cooked this contests two times before and won both times. I am starting to wonder if this is to handycap me in some way. Both times I cooked before we were aloud to start our contest ribs at 11.

I was told in the email that I could start cooking the ribs to sell at 11 and could start selling them at noon. Now how in the :tape: am I supposed to get ribs done in an hour to start selling them?? I really don't want to waist the money to buy ribs to sell if people really think they are going to be getting good ribs after 1 hour.

I guess they have a new guy running it this year and its shows that he does not have a clue what he is doing.

What should I do??

Jeff_in_KC
06-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Don't cook non-sanctioned contests.

TN_BBQ
06-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Don't cook non-sanctioned contests.

Yup.

You might also ask the guy for a little clarification.

If all else fails, just punt on the contest, display your trophies and make a mess load of money selling ribs.

Grillman
06-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Yup.

You might also ask the guy for a little clarification.

If all else fails, just punt on the contest, display your trophies and make a mess load of money selling ribs.

Yes,,,,but ask for a hard copy of the rules.
Don't take some persons word on how things work.
This guy you talked to; may be reading the rules wrong himself.

Bbq Bubba
06-28-2010, 08:38 PM
He's telling you that since your cooking ribs all day as a vendor, you can't start your comp. ribs till noon to make it fair to the other teams.

NRA4Life
06-29-2010, 05:23 AM
He's telling you that since your cooking ribs all day as a vendor, you can't start your comp. ribs till noon to make it fair to the other teams.

That is what I see too. I don't see where he's telling you that you can't cook your vending ribs early.

BBQchef33
06-29-2010, 09:00 AM
That is what I see too. I don't see where he's telling you that you can't cook your vending ribs early.

i agree.. Vendors that compete many times are there the night before cooking vending meats, but cant start cooking their competition food until after meat inspections in the morning. I think this is a similar situation. I doubt the restricition are on vending foods too.

Rib turnin is at 4, and the contest starts at noon. I think thats fair..

tennispro
06-29-2010, 08:16 PM
I was told that I could start cooking the vending ribs at 11 and expect people to be buying them starting at 12. No chance in hell that I can pull that off:thumb:

I was told today that because the way that the entry form reads that they are going to allow me to start all my ribs at 11 if I want.

I am just worried on how many ribs they think someone can sell if they are only going to give us an hour to start cooking before people are going to show up.

I guess I will buy 15 slabs and hope that I can get them all sold in the last hour. They are not sure how many people are going to be around to buy ribs.

Meat Burner
06-29-2010, 08:46 PM
Sounds like they may not realize the misinformation given you. Give them a call for clarification as TN said. May not be what you think. Obviously only given an hour for having ribs ready is a mistake somewhere. Help them straighten the rules out. Good luck and let us know what happened.

Smoke & Beers
06-30-2010, 08:12 AM
Sounds like they may not realize the misinformation given you. Give them a call for clarification as TN said. May not be what you think. Obviously only given an hour for having ribs ready is a mistake somewhere. Help them straighten the rules out. Good luck and let us know what happened.

Do you know anyone else that is attending? What's their take on it? The more complaints they receive, the better they will listen...just sayin...:heh:

Bbq Bubba
06-30-2010, 09:18 AM
I was told that I could start cooking the vending ribs at 11 and expect people to be buying them starting at 12. No chance in hell that I can pull that off:thumb:

I was told today that because the way that the entry form reads that they are going to allow me to start all my ribs at 11 if I want.

I am just worried on how many ribs they think someone can sell if they are only going to give us an hour to start cooking before people are going to show up.

I guess I will buy 15 slabs and hope that I can get them all sold in the last hour. They are not sure how many people are going to be around to buy ribs.

I still think your confused but if that is really the case, why would you even bother?
You know you won't have ribs ready till at least 3:00, don't waste your time and money.

Worst case cook them the day before and reheat to serve. At least you'll have product ready for sales.

markpmc
06-30-2010, 12:36 PM
I did an unsanctioned contest a few weeks which the locals who took their meat home to marinate won. We had a meeting a few hours before turn in to decide home many ribs to put in the box !@?

That was last unsanctioned contest. period.

txschutte
06-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Non sanctioned can be run well or terribly just like a KCBS contest. Look at the rules, read all info, and call an organizer if something isn't clear. If they are trying to handicap you, you are probably eons ahead of the competition anyhow, so make the step up to sanctioned.

Jacked UP BBQ
06-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Only cooked sanctioned events so you have an orgination to bitch about!!!!!

Jeff_in_KC
06-30-2010, 10:32 PM
Only cooked sanctioned events so you have an orgination to bitch about!!!!!

I'm trying to decide if I should even ask what you meant by that... :confused:

tennispro
07-01-2010, 05:46 PM
I do cook KCBS contest when I am able to.

I only cook this one because its so close to my house 9 miles. That and it was the first contest that I ever did and I was able to win.

I was really only cooking the contest for the fact that we can sell ribs. I am tossing around the idea of opening a rib place and am trying to get my name out there.

I called the guy running it today and everything is just as I read it. We can't by our ribs to sell till 11 am so I hope to have them ready by 3. Worst case I just take them home and sell them to guys at work:thumb:

I will post how everything goes (I just have to remember this one is just for fun)

Jeremy

tennispro
07-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Well guys it went alot better than I thought it was going to. The only speed bump was when we had to wait for our vending ribs. We wanted to buy a case of ribs and they did not want to sell us that many up front. They were worried that we would not be able to sell them all.

After we got the ribs and got everything started I dialed the pit into 250 and let her go. Today I got the best burn out of my pit since I bought it. I used 14 pounds of charcoal and 5 logs that were less then 20" long and about 4" accross. I got 5 hours with out any trouble and I still had charcoal at the bottom of the basket when I took it out.

Well we sold all our ribs and I wish I would have bought more. We had a better turn out then I tought we would get. I cooked 12 slabs and they were gone in no time. I had a couple people that wanted to buy whole slabs after they tried the ribs but I did not have enough left at that point.

We ended up 2nd in the contest because those ribs got kind of overcooked because of the higher temp then I normaly cook. But I will take away the money and gift card from the local meat shop for $150

I will do this contest again if they iron the last couple wrinkles out.

motoeric
07-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Great job!

Glad it worked out for you.

Eric