PDA

View Full Version : GrillKing...Here we come. !!! ..UPDATE: And we Won!!!

BBQchef33
07-16-2004, 09:38 PM
Well ladies..

The day is here.. The first team to compete under the The Brethren Flag is going coming out tomorrow morning. 4AM Parrothead and I are competing for the King of the Grill title at the Grillkings cookoff on Long Island, NY.. BruceSieg is also flying under our colors as a second entry.

Were competing in all 5 catagories, brisket, ribs, butts, chicken and sauce. We're stayin with our own techniques that are tried and true among us all. Rubs brines and sauces are from this group.... We be representing The Brethren!!

Todays the day guys, We see if were as good as we hope.....

Wish us luck!!!

BBQ- Brethren
Brothers in Smoke
Northeast Chapter.

The_Kapn
07-16-2004, 10:06 PM
GrillKing competiition----HUM------sounds familiar!
Bring home the trophy for all of us.
"We Be Rootin""
TIM

kcquer
07-16-2004, 10:15 PM
Have a great time, meet some Q people and The Very Best of Luck To Ya! Go Kick Some Ass!!!

Solidkick
07-16-2004, 10:45 PM
Have a great time, meet some Q people and The Very Best of Luck To Ya! Go Kick Some Ass!!!

Yea, kick some Ass for the MoFos have got your back! ;)

Have fun! Be safe, and wear shoes!

chad
07-16-2004, 10:58 PM
Kick Ass!

chad
07-16-2004, 11:01 PM
Don't forget: boil the ribs then cook them over a real hot fire with lots of Kraft sauce :twisted:

Neil
07-17-2004, 06:55 AM
Don't forget: boil the ribs then cook them over a real hot fire with lots of Kraft sauce :twisted:

That is not funny.

Neil
07-17-2004, 06:59 AM
Bring home the crown and display it proudly. I won my first Rib King crown last weekend at the Hess Lake Farms Rib Off. It was my first attempt with the Bandera. Love that Beast.

chad
07-17-2004, 08:02 AM
That is not funny.

Junior, you don't know me well enough to tell me what's funny! :D

You want to make a bet there's not ribs boiling on LI right now? :twisted:

The Brethren should do well -- Make those turn-in times, guys! :D

kcquer
07-17-2004, 08:17 AM
Don't forget: boil the ribs then cook them over a real hot fire with lots of Kraft sauce

Chad, Neil's right, that not funny, it's farking hilarious!!! I'm not sure I would have gone there, oh but I'm glad you did!! :twisted: :lol: :mrgreen:

chad
07-17-2004, 08:24 AM
Hey, I've survived two Bashes and a Quadaffe SCUD missle launch! I can poke fun if I want to! :D

Bigmista
07-17-2004, 11:32 AM
Good luck guys!

But most of all have a great time!

P.S. I thought the Kraft remark was hilarious. Just don't tell them that. We might be able to get them as a sponsor for the cruise!

willkat98
07-17-2004, 12:21 PM
They just turned in chicken at 1pm.

Next is sauce, then ribs at 3. Butt at 4, Brisket 5 (CST)

Phil was winded running to turn in.

Got about 2 hours sleep

badger
07-17-2004, 01:38 PM
I hope all is going well. Knowing Phil, he is doing what he does best and will kick some ass!

Bigmista
07-17-2004, 07:14 PM
Is there any news on the contest yet?

Tommy is out here and he wants to know.

mook
07-17-2004, 07:23 PM
Hopefully those farkers swept the damn thing and are busy Celebrating!!!!!!

willkat98
07-17-2004, 07:53 PM
ANYONE WHO TALKED TO PHIL OR GREG TONIGHT Read THIS

No matter what you heard ( I heard Greg crying in the background) make sure Phil and Greg post what the results are.

Phil spoke to me, on extremely low sleep, and told me what happened.

It was their first cook. A learning experience.

I promised I would'nt say how they did ( and I only knew 1 catagory anyway)

So anyone who talked to them today, lets sit back and wait for the full write up of "Our first cook!"

I can't wait for the pictures!

(I hope they remembered to take pictures)

No matter what happened, I am proud to have known a couple brothers (BBQchef33, Parrothead, RBNSWNGS, Barfly) that took the time to try

And don't think I'm slighting the Cali connection, 2Fat, Midnight, Minion, and all the other competitors here, but this was there first.

I have envy-itis

Just wish I didnt have wife-itis

mook
07-17-2004, 08:04 PM
****, I just hope those farkers had fun. It is definetly a learning experience. What we like in the back yard may not be what the judges are looking for.

Congrats to the brothers for gettin out there. i am lookig forward to getting out and doing it again soon.

chad
07-17-2004, 08:15 PM
You KNOW they had fun! Phil got to show off his Klose to some folks and cook!!

Bigmista
07-17-2004, 08:29 PM
I'm sure they had a ball. Then they panicked. then they had some fun, then they rested. Then they started drinking.

Then they went to the contest....

BBQchef33
07-17-2004, 10:31 PM
HINT:

Ribs

Chicken

and a Bounty

See photos

nuff said.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

details to follow.

jminion
07-17-2004, 10:33 PM
Congrats guys!!!!! Now you have the bug, your souls are not your own!

mook
07-17-2004, 10:33 PM
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

Way to show them how to cook Brothers!!!!!

Bigmista
07-17-2004, 10:35 PM
I'm really proud of you guys!!

kcquer
07-17-2004, 10:35 PM
Farking Awesome Guys!!! Well Done!!!

Solidkick
07-17-2004, 11:01 PM
Look out Jack Daniels and American Royal! Looks like the "Brothers" may have put themselves in a position for an invite!

Totally AWESOME Guys! Way To Go! I can't wait to get home from work tomorrow night and read the whole story.

(I could only hope "The Belly Brothers BBQ Team" has 1/4 the success you had this weekend ,next weekend.)

Jorge
07-17-2004, 11:08 PM
Phil, you going to loan Greg the trailer to haul all his loot home? Well done guys!

cabo
07-17-2004, 11:19 PM
AMAZING!!!
You guys did an awesome job. Congratulations, I may not be able to sleep tonight just out of excitement for you.. I had to call and wake my cousin up when I saw the pics to tell him to get on the site and take a look.
Iíll be glued to the site tomorrow to read the details.
Congrats again. First time out, FANTASTIC!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Heath
07-18-2004, 12:25 AM
Congrats Guys, that's the best news ever!!!

badger
07-18-2004, 12:38 AM
CONGRADULATIONS!!!! 8) 8) 8) You two guys must be estatic today! Very well done!

Neil
07-18-2004, 05:22 AM
Congratulations. How sweet it is as Jackie used to say.

MrSmoker
07-18-2004, 06:39 AM
Way to go guy's,job well done. Why is having fun so much like work?

chad
07-18-2004, 07:08 AM
Great job!

Thanks for the call last night - that way I could go to bed knowing the Brethren done good!!

Like everyone else, I'm waiting for the full report!!

Congratualtions!

racer_81
07-18-2004, 07:11 AM
Damned proud of you guys. That had to be a lot of fun, despite the long hours,
the lack of sleep and "face planting" Hugh.

Congratulations !!!

Neil
07-18-2004, 07:48 AM
Great pics. Where did you get the Brothers in Smoke hats and shirts?

icemn62
07-18-2004, 07:52 AM
CONGRATS, I would just love to go to a competition, let alone have the balls to enter. Congrats, I think I will help you celebrate by drinking cans and cans and cans of beer.

rbsnwngs
07-18-2004, 08:00 AM
CONGRATULATIONS

I'm glad if someone had to win Ribs it was you guys. It feels preety good up there doesnt t you guys did a great job yesterday and deserve to win. I hope you had as much fun as i did despite all the work you had to do.
As for me i did not have the good fortune to repeat as KING but did place 3rd in wings. It was nice standing next to Phil and Greg although i wish i was on the top platform.

AGAIN GUYS YOU DID A FANTASTIC JOB AND DESERVE TO WIN.

MrSmoker
07-18-2004, 08:24 AM
Did you take any pictures of your entries you could share with us?

BrooklynQ
07-18-2004, 09:10 AM
Hey - New member to the group.

Met Phil and Bill at the Grill Kings. Great Guys who truly deserved to win! They let me hang out an bother them all day and watch as they cooked.

I was only a spectator at this year's Grill Kings, so I wandered from cooker to cooker, getting fed like a stray cat. Their food kept me coming back, I mean their bubbling personalities kept me coming back. Their chicken and ribs were easily the best.

Thanks for letting me hang with you. Next year I'll be taking the trophy from you!

Robert

rbsnwngs
07-18-2004, 09:42 AM
No pic sorry to busy feeding the crowds.

BBQchef33
07-18-2004, 10:34 AM
Thanks Will... an congrats for making it with us to the podium... Was a good feeling to be up there and moved to amazing when they called us the second time.!

robert.. it was a pleasure to have you hang with us.. Instead of tryin to take the trophy.... Stick around and you join in on the Northeast Chapter. Theres strength in numbers. :mrgreen:

imported_admin
07-18-2004, 11:25 AM
Photos are in the gallery.

I'lll be posting the days events and a play by play later tonight. right now, gotta go unload the trailerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Thanks to everone sending notes and calling!!! Makes yesterday extend into today.

Its Great to be A Brethren!

markbet
07-18-2004, 12:40 PM
CONGRATS GUYS!! I was told that I was learning from the best, now you have proved it.

markbet
07-18-2004, 12:50 PM

Real funny......I deserve to have my nose rubbed it. :wink:

charliec
07-18-2004, 02:53 PM
way to go guys!!
you made us all proud!!!
job well done
charliec

parrothead
07-18-2004, 03:01 PM
Met Phil and Bill at the Grill Kings.

Uh... nice to meet you too, Rapheal.

LOL!

parrothead
07-18-2004, 03:03 PM
CONGRATULATIONS

I'm glad if someone had to win Ribs it was you guys. It feels preety good up there doesnt t you guys did a great job yesterday and deserve to win. I hope you had as much fun as i did despite all the work you had to do.
As for me i did not have the good fortune to repeat as KING but did place 3rd in wings. It was nice standing next to Phil and Greg although i wish i was on the top platform.

AGAIN GUYS YOU DID A FANTASTIC JOB AND DESERVE TO WIN.

Good to see you up there also brother. Congrats. And good seeing you again.

willkat98
07-18-2004, 03:13 PM
Met Phil and Bill at the Grill Kings.

Uh... nice to meet you too, Rapheal.

LOL!

LOL
I just saw that.

It was Greg Robert.

I am the thin one. Couldnt make it mod

parrothead
07-18-2004, 03:24 PM
Couldnt make it mod

That is the only thing that would have made it any better.

And we might not have been so damned tired with a third. We took first in the first two turn ins. If we were more on the ball and not as tired maybe we would have been able to snag one or both of the other categories.

It's Bill's fault we didn'nt sweep it all mod. LOL

parrothead
07-18-2004, 03:44 PM
Alright, I may finally be caught up on my sleep. What a great time! A little tiring but I know if I had to get on a plane next weekend and do it all over again, we could do even better. I think we learned a lot. I know I learned a lot.

The picture of a couple standing next to Phil and I holding up a trophy, was a great couple we met that was set up right next to us. He took first place in briskit. With any luck, he will be popping his head in here any day now to introduce himself.

One very interesting thing was that we met probably half a dozen brethren.

Picture: Phil tending to whatever we are just about to turn in. I am at our "turn in table" trying to sift through the lettuce leaves to find the perfect ones to garnish with and someone walks up, sees our banner, and says "Hey, I belong to that group". This happened more than once.

Okay, enough of that. I have a concert to go to, and rather than put out little bits and pieces here and there, I will wait for Phil to post his entire rendition of what happened and add to that.

Phil, thanks for the oppurtunity to compete with you. It truly was an excellent experience.

rusold
07-18-2004, 04:00 PM
Wow - what a great first competiition.

I think you should take on FoodTv and get your own real Q show

R

BrooklynQ
07-18-2004, 06:16 PM
Sorry Parrothead. Names were never my strong suit. Phil and Greg. Now I remember. By whatever name - you guys cooked the best Q there! Congratulations again.

Phil - sorry to sound stupid - but what is the Northeast Chapter?

chad
07-18-2004, 06:58 PM
Do you guys understand how weird it could/will get when we, the Brethren, have 3 or 4 teams from different parts of the country all qualify for MIM or Jack Daniels! :D

stlmike
07-18-2004, 09:07 PM
Tremendous job guys! Too bad more of us couldn't be there to cheer you on when you were presented the brass!
Mike

The_Kapn
07-18-2004, 09:40 PM
Do you guys understand how weird it could/will get when we, the Brethren, have 3 or 4 teams from different parts of the country all qualify for MIM or Jack Daniels!
David-
That ain't weird--that is scary :lol:
And, it "will"--not "could" happen!
Phil and Greg--So damn proud of you--
TIM

icemn62
07-18-2004, 09:50 PM
Congrats to the winning team. I am proud to be able to brag about the job yall done did.

nancdb
07-18-2004, 10:18 PM
Congratulations! I'm honored to be in the company of such talented people. You have many people proud of your accomplishments. Nancy

badger
07-19-2004, 12:14 AM
Congratulations! I'm honored to be in the company of such talented people. You have many people proud of your accomplishments. Nancy

I just wish some of that talent would rub off on me. :)

ciret
07-19-2004, 12:40 AM
Great job guys. I'm proud to be a member of this group, and can only hope to get to the level of you experts.

==>Eric :D 8) :D 8)

Cuelio
07-19-2004, 12:44 AM
Wow! Words fail me. I'm so proud to be in the brethren! Gentlemen, you rock!

MikeG
07-19-2004, 07:16 AM
Great job guys!!!!!!!!
Congradulations on the win!!
MikeG

mrkkti
07-19-2004, 08:08 AM
Congratulations! Now if osmosis would just kick in!

spoon
07-19-2004, 09:19 AM
There are a couple new sheriffs in town! Congrats.

jt
07-19-2004, 09:26 AM
Farking Awesome!

cheez
07-19-2004, 10:34 AM
WOW - Way to go guys!!!!!! I was away last week and am trying to catch up on the posts.... happened to read the stuff leading up to the competition first, then had to jump to this thread to see how you fared. Awesome!!!! We always knew the Brethren were winners, but now it's public knowledge! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BBQchef33
07-19-2004, 01:20 PM
The Final results are posted at the Grillkings website

WWW.Grillkings.com

BBQ-Brethren team

First place RIBS
First Place Chicken
Fifth Place Brisket
Seventh Place Pork
Fourteenth in Sauce.

Not bad for a first showing.

Quick calculations gave us best overall score, but they dont have a best overall, only best in show.

I will be posting the play by play tonight. A little busy at work today.. sorry guys for the delay.

badger
07-19-2004, 01:29 PM
Yeah, It looks like you would have had the best overall. I guess that would be the "Grill Kings" award if they did the same as the first year.

Bigmista
07-19-2004, 01:46 PM
Do you guys understand how weird it could/will get when we, the Brethren, have 3 or 4 teams from different parts of the country all qualify for MIM or Jack Daniels! :D

Sounds like a great party to me!

BBQchef33
07-19-2004, 01:55 PM
Yeah, It looks like you would have had the best overall. I guess that would be the "Grill Kings" award if they did the same as the first year.

"Grill King" is the HIGHEST single score of ANY one catagory. Like a "best in show. "

badger
07-19-2004, 02:01 PM

"Grill King" is the HIGHEST single score of ANY one catagory. Like a "best in show. "

Confused mod.

I'll stick to my legos.

racer_81
07-19-2004, 02:12 PM
The Final results are posted at the Grillkings website

WWW.Grillkings.com

BBQ-Brethren team

First place RIBS
First Place Chicken
Fifth Place Brisket
Seventh Place Pork.

Not bad for a first showing.

Quick calculations gave us best overall score, but they dont have a best overall, only best in show.

I will be posting the play by play tonight. A little busy at work today.. sorry guys for the delay.

14th in sauce too. Amazing. Shoulda used some Illinois sauce, I hear it was invented there.

Bigmista
07-19-2004, 03:01 PM
I wanna grow up to be like you guys!

Wait...uh...let me get back to you on that.

BBQchef33
07-19-2004, 03:23 PM

Confused mod.

I'll stick to my legos.

how this john.

Put ALL the scores in ALL the catagories in a one dimesional array. Sort descending by Score. #1 is the GrillKing.

computer weenie mod.

Bigmista
07-19-2004, 03:38 PM
computer weenie mod.

When did you start adding "computer"?

Self Amusement Mod

badger
07-19-2004, 03:46 PM
computer weenie mod.

Self Amusement Mod

LMAO mod.

Stucue74
07-19-2004, 03:49 PM
Congratulations guys. That's awesome, looks like you swept the competition. Details, details, please....did you do 2/2/1 method? How did you do the chicken? Did you brine?, etc.

Real proud of you guys!

frognot
07-19-2004, 04:02 PM
Big time congrats to all y'all! Done real good!

BigAl
07-19-2004, 04:02 PM
Late on this post but never toooo late to say great job!!!!!!!!!

Here is to ya!

BBQchef33
07-19-2004, 04:29 PM
computer weenie mod.

Self Amusement Mod

DELETE user mod.

Bigmista
07-19-2004, 04:36 PM
computer weenie mod.

Self Amusement Mod

DELETE user mod.

What? Who me?

*whistling while walking off*

rusold
07-19-2004, 05:56 PM
Phil,

I searched their page for Dirks (the king) - no 880.

The highest score in a category I found was

1st- Phil Rizzardi "BBQ Brethren" - 863 :D :D

R

parrothead
07-19-2004, 10:34 PM
Shoulda used some Illinois sauce,

Made it in my own kitchen, in Morris, Illinois. I cracked it open for the competition and put it in the containers. I took a taste and told Phil I wasn't happy with it. It was the first batch that I made completly from scratch. I'm talking homemade ketchup and all. I'll take 14th for a first crack.

racer_81
07-19-2004, 10:37 PM
Shoulda used some Illinois sauce,

Made it in my own kitchen, in Morris, Illinois. I cracked it open for the competition and put it in the containers. I took a taste and told Phil I wasn't happy with it. It was the first batch that I made completly from scratch. I'm talking homemade ketchup and all. I'll take 14th for a first crack.

Good deal. Homemade ketchup sounds good - and 14th is nothing to sneeze at for a first crack.

My comment was to rile up Bill, but apparently he is asleep (or equivalent) somewhere.

Good job BBQ team.

parrothead
07-19-2004, 10:37 PM
I searched their page for Dirks (the king) - no 880.

The highest score in a category I found was

1st- Phil Rizzardi "BBQ Brethren" - 863

They did it weird. The highest score over any category got the grill king belt. In that category, the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place winners became the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners.

parrothead
07-19-2004, 10:40 PM
Also, as long as we are at it, there were only 2 teams that placed in the top 10 in all 4 meat categories.

Phil and I with 3144 total and Will breakstone with 2976.

Brethren wiped out the entire thing.

chad
07-19-2004, 10:45 PM
I'll bet you were the type that would bust the curve in a class in high school, too! :D

parrothead
07-19-2004, 10:55 PM
I'll bet you were the type that would bust the curve in a class in high school, too!

You know it brother.

Brethren before my our time mod.

BBQchef33
07-19-2004, 11:27 PM
Also, as long as we are at it, there were only 2 teams that placed in the top 10 in all 4 meat categories.

Phil and I with 3144 total and Will breakstone with 2976.

Brethren wiped out the entire thing.

And if KCBS would have sanctioned, that would have made us Grand Champions. Since there is no other competition in NY state, that would have made us State Champs, which would've put us at the JD invitational.

should've, would've, could've.

I'll take the sweep anyday.

willkat98
07-20-2004, 07:15 AM
My comment was to rile up Bill, but apparently he is asleep (or equivalent) somewhere.

Should added a cup of Jack Daniels.

First Place, hands down

MikeG
07-20-2004, 07:22 AM
If if's and but's were candy and nuts we could
all have a party...
the botton line: as we southerns would put it:
Ya'll stomped a mud hole in their asses and
then walked it dry..
I am so proud of you guys!!!
Mikeg

shock
07-20-2004, 07:35 AM
Way to kick ass and take names!

Jorge
07-20-2004, 07:47 AM

Confused mod.

I'll stick to my legos.

how this john.

Put ALL the scores in ALL the catagories in a one dimesional array. Sort descending by Score. #1 is the GrillKing.

computer weenie mod.

At least you didn't SAY bubble sort.....

parrothead
07-20-2004, 10:11 AM
Found another one. Joseph Dirk "The Long Island Porkers" scored a total of 3105 points. Still puts us on top.

parrothead
07-20-2004, 10:26 AM
Not to burst our own bubble here, but there were not a lot of serious cookers there. We saw what we believe to be a pork misshap that turned into a lump of charcoal in a farking smokey joe. There were quite a few there with nothing more than a couple of standard weber grills. I would say about half of the contestants had some means of offset smoking, so that still isn't too bad. I have a feeling though that if next year gets you an invite to the Jack Daniels, it will bring people from neighboring states and I would expect to see alot more competition cookers coming out of the wood work.

rbsnwngs
07-20-2004, 10:30 AM
The brothers and I are the only 2 teams that finished in the top 10 in all the meat catgories
Not bad for first timers (The Brothers) and A guy whos first compition was last years event

chad
07-20-2004, 10:43 AM
Just for clarification: are the points based on KCBS 180? Otherwise what reference?

parrothead
07-20-2004, 10:52 AM
I believe that it was based on 3 equal parts of appearance, texture/tenderness, and taste. 10 judges, score 1 to 10 which would give a total of 300 points possible, so I have no idea how they end up with the final number. Maybe the categories aren't equally weighted and a perfect score would be 1000? I'm not sure. Phil has spoken to the guy at grill kings and we will be getting our score breakdown so we can see what we need to improve on. I'll die if it was presentation that hung us up on the beef and pork.

chad
07-20-2004, 10:58 AM
I'll die if it was presentation that hung us up on the beef and pork.

Come compete in FBA - nothing but the meat in the turn-in box - no garnish, no pooled sauce - nothing but meat! I'm cooking 'que not salad! :D

I'll have more details after the Labor Day Fun Fest/Judges training/team cooking seminar. :mrgreen:

chad
07-20-2004, 10:59 AM
I asked because I see they offer KCBS judge training -- one would think they'd get KCBS sanctioned if that's the case. :D

parrothead
07-20-2004, 11:04 AM
I asked because I see they offer KCBS judge training -- one would think they'd get KCBS sanctioned if that's the case.

That's what they are working on. They are trying to get a judge base together.

jminion
07-20-2004, 11:20 AM
In August I should have finished training to be a KCBS CBJ trainer and I'm now a KCBS Rep, would love to go east and train judges and Rep the contest, I'm willing to travel!

BrooklynQ
07-20-2004, 11:53 AM
I asked because I see they offer KCBS judge training -- one would think they'd get KCBS sanctioned if that's the case.

That's what they are working on. They are trying to get a judge base together.

I don't know about that. I'm a CBJ and offered my services and was told thanks but no thanks. I was talking with some of the judges and was told that it was "all cousins and extended family." I'm not saying that the judges weren't honest - I agreed with many of their winnners, but I did find that remark curious.

Dean, the guy who ran the show, said to me that they are working on becoming KCBS sanctioned, but haven't found a venue that would allow a two/three day sleepover event. If he wants sanctioning, he's going to have to tighten up the rules and procedures a lot.

stlmike
07-20-2004, 11:58 AM
Jim,
I love to take the first step towards competing by becoming a KCBS certified judge. I think that this would be a good insight into what it would take to win. If you set something up in the St. Louis area, let me know.
Mike

racer_81
07-20-2004, 12:49 PM
In August I should have finished training to be a KCBS CBJ trainer and I'm now a KCBS Rep, would love to go east and train judges and Rep the contest, I'm willing to travel!

Jim - is there anything related to learning to be a judge - or being a judge - that can disqualify a person as a contestant in future events?

BrooklynQ
07-20-2004, 12:53 PM
[quote=jminion]Jim - is there anything related to learning to be a judge - or being a judge - that can disqualify a person as a contestant in future events?

There's not that stops a judge from competeing, except you can't judge at the same contest you're cooking at.

rbsnwngs
07-20-2004, 01:19 PM
The governers proclamation is in the works and the event will be sanctioned next year. I was told that thyey are looking at haveing it at Heckser state park next year. Jim and Linda Mullan (I belive thats there last name) are coming over from PA to run the class in Sept.

jminion
07-20-2004, 01:38 PM
Judging class just gives you a basis in the rules and an idea what to look for as a new judge. As a competitor taking the class helps you get a good idea what other competitors are doing for turn-ins and that is very helpful.
Jim

MrSmoker
07-20-2004, 02:19 PM
Jim,
I love to take the first step towards competing by becoming a KCBS certified judge. I think that this would be a good insight into what it would take to win. If you set something up in the St. Louis area, let me know.
Mike We just had the class about six weeks ago and the local asso. put it together. We needed 25 people at 35.00 ea. to cover the cost of flying in the instuctor etc. we ended up with 35 total. Some of the members did the cooking.

Solidkick
07-20-2004, 05:00 PM
parrothead,

I have a feeling though that if next year gets you an invite to the Jack Daniels, it will bring people from neighboring states and I would expect to see alot more competition cookers coming out of the wood work.

I have a feeling you are right! When I talked to Buzz last week, he said there were cookers there from Texas and Cinncinati, Ohio. The event was in Shannon IL.

Jorge
07-20-2004, 05:08 PM
We aint got none down here, so we have to travel.

fivelombardis
07-20-2004, 08:44 PM
Congratulations guys, you did an awesome job...maybe one day i'll have the balls...and money to enter a competition!!

SoCalCraigster
07-20-2004, 09:49 PM
You are Grill Kings!
Colonel Sanders was just demoted to a buck private!!

L8

ckkphoto
07-20-2004, 11:50 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! WOW!!!! This is too cool! You guys have a right to be really REALLY proud. And your wives have a right to hush and let you appreciate your success. :wink:

racer_81
07-21-2004, 12:24 PM

Should added a cup of Jack Daniels.

First Place, hands down

Well, then, their BBQ entries would have had a nice yellow
tint to the glaze from all the piss in that JD crap.

Some fine Ky bourbon would do wonders......

colt45
07-21-2004, 12:57 PM
outstanding fellas... I take it that the "call my cell phone" message was about this phil? was on vacation in wisconsin until monday... this is so cool...

josh

willkat98
07-21-2004, 01:28 PM
outstanding fellas... I take it that the "call my cell phone" message was about this phil? was on vacation in wisconsin until monday... this is so cool...

josh

Breath Colt, 1 more to 300.

colt45
07-21-2004, 01:39 PM
WHEW!!!

MrSmoker
07-21-2004, 01:59 PM
All your entries looked great. I can't believe you didn't sweep the contest. I wish i could make wings like that,the pulled pork had a nice bark,ribs & brisket looked awesome.Displays were right on i would have liked to have been there judging. That's some good eats!

BBQchef33
07-21-2004, 05:33 PM
we swept to some extent. We took 1st in 2 catagories, 5 & 7 in the other 2 and were 1 of only 2 teams to place top 10 in all 4, and we beat the othe team by about 300 points. So Points wise we were also best overall. good enuf for me on our first time out..

Bigdog
07-27-2004, 10:56 PM
Congrats Phil and Co. on your victory. You guys made us proud. We need a flag now to advertise our group. Anyone interested?