PDA

View Full Version : Strange Chicken question...

Wager
06-28-2010, 10:12 AM
Looking at the turn in boxes that many have posted on the site I see that people include different cuts for pork and brisket. what about including different cuts for chicken?

I stink at doing typical bbq chicken but I love my wings. what about having 3 thighs split for 6 pieces and 6 wing drummets in a box? also, what about having two seperate sauces? does it count against if you have two different flavor profiles of sauce?

probably a really stupid question but thought I would throw it out there.:icon_blush:

RobKC
06-28-2010, 10:34 AM
It's legal, but....

Let's say you get 3 very good scores and 3 terrible scores. You won't know which pieces/flavors were well received.

Buster Dog BBQ
06-28-2010, 11:21 AM
I would go six full pieces of each if you decide to use multiple pieces of chicken. I would also expect a judge to sample a bit of each and judge the box as is, not based on which one is the best between the two.

Wager
06-28-2010, 12:25 PM
thanks guys. figured it was probably a weird question. I just really like my wings and my bbq chicken is just ok. guess it couldn't hurt either way, bad scores with or without. maybe some feedback on the cards would be interesting.

Finney
06-28-2010, 01:17 PM
If you really like your wings... why wouldn't you just turn in wings?

Candy Sue
06-28-2010, 01:54 PM
Not a wierd question!

I'm thinking about turning in a whole chicken next time, cut into 6 or 8 pieces. Got to practice box arranging. I've done thigh/wing combo successfully, but I didn't use different spices or sauces on the two. I've also done sliced breast and thighs, but it wasn't successful.

mobow
06-28-2010, 08:38 PM
I would agree with Finney. If your wings are really good put them in the box and see how they do. keith

Rookie'48
06-29-2010, 12:16 AM
I would go six full pieces of each if you decide to use multiple pieces of chicken. I would also expect a judge to sample a bit of each and judge the box as is, not based on which one is the best between the two.

What Rod ^^^^^ said.

Wager
06-29-2010, 09:35 AM
thanks guys. i guess it certainly couldn't hurt. I guess i was just concerned that thighs seem to be the only cut that really has a shot and i figured I'd get laughed at for turning in wings.

Divemaster
06-29-2010, 01:47 PM
The best comment card we ever got was when we put Winglettes in with our thighs...

Comment was "The wings didn't help" score... 988

My thought was that they didn't hurt either... lol

pbrianstark
06-30-2010, 08:22 AM
I did wings as part of the back-yard comp. in Nellsonville last year and they were some of the best tasting chicken I have ever smoked.

Divemaster
06-30-2010, 08:26 AM
I did wings as part of the back-yard comp. in Nellsonville last year and they were some of the best tasting chicken I have ever smoked.
But how did they score?

I'm not being a butt head (though other would argue that point), I just know that food that I like normally sucks in comps...

daedalus
06-30-2010, 10:12 AM
This is not a stupid question at all...in fact, it brings up what is, in my opinion, one of the most inconsistent issues facing cooks related to judging. Should I put multiple cuts in a box?
The problem is that cooks have no idea how judges will be approaching multiple cut boxes. Apparently, the KCBS feels that it is up to each judge as to how they handle judging in the case of multiple cuts. We can either choose the best piece and only score it, or we can use an aggregate score based on everything in the box(my preferred method). So, say you decide to put the wings in with thighs, but you know that the wings are better. One judge might only score the wings, and give you a nine, while another judge might do the aggregate thing and give you a 7. You would have no idea how to interpret the scores unless someone is nice enough to give you a comment card. Assuming that both cuts are decent, and the scores are in the 7-9 range anyway, you are not likely to get such a card.
If it were me, at least until KCBS figures out that they need to clarify this issue, I would only put one type of meat in a box. At least that way you know for sure what you are being judged on. I know that most cooks would tell you that you can only win with thighs, and although I must defer to those on here who have much more experience than I do, I say go for an all wing box. At least then you will know.