PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Smokin' on the River - Glasgow MO, July 16-17

trueque
06-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Next up for me is Glasgow. Who else is attending? If you have attended in previous years, please give us all the skinny on this comp to make the best of this event.

http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?year=2010&month=07&id=2096

ammoore
06-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Big O' Dang O' BBQ will be there.
We did attend last year and enjoyed the contest very much.
Very Relaxing, large rv campground type spots.
Last year the weather was very mild...but we heard that in all years past the temperatures are almost unbearable.
We had power last year but crossing our fingers this year. The organizer already called trying to get us to plug into someone else or split a 15amp. (and yes we sent in our registration in the "get in early to guarantee power" window)

see ya there
-Aaron

beam boys bbq
06-20-2010, 06:20 PM
stay for the sat night get together it is an pot luck from all the teams that stay sat night and lot of liquor but it is an blast :thumb:

Jeff_in_KC
06-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Big Creek BBQ will be there. Maybe. As long as the Big Muddy decides to settle the fark down! According to the National Weather Service, the Missouri River is doing some major flooding at Glasgow today:

THE FLOOD WARNING CONTINUES FOR THE MISSOURI RIVER AT GLASGOW. * AT 4:30 PM SUNDAY THE STAGE WAS 33.2 FEET. * FLOOD STAGE IS 25.0 FEET. * MAJOR FLOODING IS OCCURRING AND MAJOR FLOODING IS FORECAST. * FORECAST... THE RIVER WILL CONTINUE TO FALL TO A STAGE OF 32.0 FEET BY MONDAY MORNING. * AT 32.0 FEET... HIGHWAYS AND GRAVEL ROADS IN LOW-LYING AREAS NEAR GLASGOW ARE UNDER WATER THIS INCLUDES STATE HIGHWAY 240 WEST OF GLASGOW. THE CITY PARK IN GLASGOW ALSO BEGINS TO FLOOD. * AT 27.0 FEET... MANY AGRICULTURAL LEVEES ARE OVERTOPPED. WIDESPREAD FLOODING OF RURAL AREAS OCCURS. SECONDARY ROADS AND HOMES BEHIND LEVEES MAY BE INUNDATED. * AT 25.0 FEET... FARMLAND ALONG THE RIVER FLOODS.

Solidkick
06-20-2010, 09:53 PM
I had heard Stump Island was on the verge of going under....

I won't make this one...though I've mentioned to the other Bellys about cooking this one...I'm in time off lock out at work due to inventory and can't get the Friday off.

DocStl
06-21-2010, 07:04 AM
Ques Your Daddy will be returning again. One of my favorite venues

Lion Bout The Q
06-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Lion Bout The Q will be there... Looking forward to cooking again...

Jeff_in_KC
06-23-2010, 05:23 PM
Updated flood info:

Issued by The National Weather Service
Kansas City/Pleasant Hill, MO
3:42 pm CDT, Wed., Jun. 23, 2010
THE FLOOD WARNING CONTINUES FOR THE MISSOURI RIVER AT GLASGOW. * AT 2:30 PM WEDNESDAY THE STAGE WAS 30.0 FEET. * FLOOD STAGE IS 25.0 FEET. * MODERATE FLOODING IS OCCURRING AND MODERATE FLOODING IS FORECAST. * FORECAST... THE RIVER WILL CONTINUE RISING TO NEAR 30.2 FEET BY EARLY THURSDAY MORNING. THE RIVER WILL THEN SLOWLY FALL AND LIKELY REMAIN ABOVE FLOOD STAGE THROUGH THE FIRST HALF OF NEXT WEEK. * AT 27.0 FEET... MANY AGRICULTURAL LEVEES ARE OVERTOPPED. WIDESPREAD FLOODING OF RURAL AREAS OCCURS. SECONDARY ROADS AND HOMES BEHIND LEVEES MAY BE INUNDATED. * AT 25.0 FEET... FARMLAND ALONG THE RIVER FLOODS.

Jeff_in_KC
06-23-2010, 09:47 PM
Got an email from one of the organizers tonight... very good back up plan in place! He says the water has actually left the park as of today. As long as there is no more flooding, they should be dry and looking good.

Lion Bout The Q
06-24-2010, 11:25 AM
here I thought we should re name it smokin' IN the River

vexter1
06-24-2010, 05:09 PM
H*QUE is due to be there. Looking forward to it!

Lion Bout The Q
06-24-2010, 06:29 PM
H*QUE is due to be there. Looking forward to it!
It will be good to see you guys again, Shannon...Are you cooking Columbia too?

vexter1
06-25-2010, 08:21 AM
It will be good to see you guys again, Shannon...Are you cooking Columbia too?

Boone County Fairgrounds - we'll be there - be great to see you guys again as well!!

paydabill
06-25-2010, 08:33 AM
Lit and loaded will be there - plus Jamie from Natural Born Grillers. It is the only event that my whole family likes to go to. Plenty of room, that is unless they have to rope some areas off like they had to do 3 years ago due to flooding.

vexter1
07-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Congrats to all who took calls over the weekend - that was a tough comp with the rain/mud/mosquitos! That place turned into a mess after that rain overnight - ACK!

mrichard
07-18-2010, 08:54 PM
This was a such a great event and we cannot wait to return next year. Congrats to everyone that survived the muddy conditions and had a good time cooking some bbq. Special thanks to H-Que for diggin our chocks out of the mud after we ran over them.

Lion Bout The Q
07-18-2010, 11:01 PM
It was good to see everyone there..Luckily we were on top of the hill and stayed out of the mud..Congrats to all who had calls

Jeff_in_KC
07-18-2010, 11:33 PM
In my six years of competitions, I've never seen anything like Paul and Marlee Walz (The Smokin' Walzs) had to endure after getting up Saturday morning! They were right along the river in that really fine dry dust the river left behind in massive amounts. The water was up to their ankles in their EZ Up and right up to the firebox on his Spicewine! He literally had to dig a canal to let the water drain back to the river and drag some of his stuff to higher and drier land to be able to continue. We helped him move part of it. He was about to throw in the towel and decided to give it a shot. Remarkably, he did all that work AND got his ribs and chicken going in time to get all four categories turned in! A fantastic display of overcoming adversity! Congrats to the Walzs for winning the war this contest became with the Friday night storm!

trueque
07-19-2010, 07:23 AM
In the short time I have been involved with the bbq circuit, I have met and made friends with some of the nicest, most giving people. This is truly a great American competition! Congrats to The Smokin' Walzs for persevering and getting everything turned in.

vexter1
07-19-2010, 08:34 AM
No doubt!! Aaron from Big O Dang O BBQ was ankle deep in water for the rest of the contest after Friday night and his EZ UP got mangled/destroyed as well - but he hung right in there. We could not believe his and his wife's spirits (and she's pregnant!) while they continued work through the water/mud mess ther park became.

A tough hot, muddy, muggy weekend to be sure - but still was fun to see everyone and get our cook on. Great people on the circuit to be sure!

This Is How We Que It
07-19-2010, 12:15 PM
You know that it was Big Creek's fault that it rained. Anyone know the story of the team that packed up and left Sat morning?

vexter1
07-19-2010, 12:27 PM
I had heard it was Come and Get It that left early - as it was put to me they weren't very happy anyway (something to do with their space/spot) and I guess it all got topped off with the weather/mud and they left. The details were sparse and that was about all I heard from an official source. Kind of shame to come all that way, setup, cook and then leave...waste of time and effort - if you've come that far - hell finish it on out - everyone else is.

beam boys bbq
07-19-2010, 05:59 PM
We all survived mud fest 2010 :clap2::thumb::becky::clap2:

the team that left has been judging for an while and been giving bad scores over the last few years when they were judging they have be reported to KCBS and they just started to cook again
In my thoughts I think it is funney that they can't hang with us--wether the heat and all of the crap us cookers have to go threw to get our meet turned in on time
the cooking gets ruff and they pack and run :doh:

love you all
that made the weekend
i know the reps and the people of glasgow
where happy that we stayed

Jeff_in_KC
07-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Who is "Come and Get It"? They won't be judging here at our contest if they'd ever ask and I'd probably have to advise them against cooking it because it always rains at least a little bit and I have a special place down along the banks of Big Creek I'd be glad to put 'em if they wanna run off like that and also hose our teams with bad scores when judging. If ya can't run with the big dogs, stay the heck on the porch!

Jeff_in_KC
07-19-2010, 08:16 PM
You know that it was Big Creek's fault that it rained.

:twisted: All part of my evil plan to take over the world! :twisted:

This Is How We Que It
07-19-2010, 08:18 PM
We all survived mud fest 2010 :clap2::thumb::becky::clap2:

the team that left has been judging for an while and been giving bad scores over the last few years when they were judging they have be reported to KCBS and they just started to cook again
In my thoughts I think it is funney that they can't hang with us--wether the heat and all of the crap us cookers have to go threw to get our meet turned in on time
the cooking gets ruff and they pack and run :doh:

love you all
that made the weekend

i know the reps and the people of glasgow
where happy that we stayed

That truck that you pull your trailer with. Didn't I see that same truck in the movie Road Warrior? :-D

Lion Bout The Q
07-19-2010, 09:20 PM
I almost feel guilty for being on top of the hill and not down in the mud ...almost.....:confused: It was one of the hottest contests we have been to also..not as bad as Pacific last year, but close..

trueque
07-20-2010, 10:01 AM
I almost feel guilty for being on top of the hill and not down in the mud ...almost.....:confused: It was one of the hottest contests we have been to also..not as bad as Pacific last year, but close..

Hey, I really enjoyed being at the top of the hill. Going to request the same spot next year. Good meeting you and the other good people on the hill top.

mrichard
07-20-2010, 01:36 PM
We have competed next to "Come and get it" two times this year. Each time, neither of them would acknowledge us and had a very sour attitiude even when we tried to create conversation. I dont understand why two people would spend so much effort and time trying to kick if they aernt going to enjoy it. Isnt that why we all cook anyways?

Matt

vexter1
07-20-2010, 03:22 PM
That's part of the fun is getting to know the teams and creating new relationships - it's one of the facets of the sport I enjoy the most - although my wife says I'm awful good about meeting new teams and friends during cleanup time - ROFL!

Lion Bout The Q
07-20-2010, 07:23 PM
Hey, I really enjoyed being at the top of the hill. Going to request the same spot next year. Good meeting you and the other good people on the hill top.
It was good to meet you... I am sure we will be seeing you on the circut..maybe next time we can sit around and talk about H Que and their BBQ Secrets...

beam boys bbq
07-20-2010, 10:34 PM
That's part of the fun is getting to know the teams and creating new relationships - it's one of the facets of the sport I enjoy the most - although my wife says I'm awful good about meeting new teams and friends during cleanup time - ROFL!

tell me how you get your wife to clean up i need to know :heh::thumb:

vexter1
07-21-2010, 08:06 AM
It was good to meet you... I am sure we will be seeing you on the circut..maybe next time we can sit around and talk about H Que and their BBQ Secrets...

ROFL - what secrets? We're just outright lucky that's all ;)

vexter1
07-21-2010, 08:08 AM
tell me how you get your wife to clean up i need to know :heh::thumb:

It involves a fair amount of money after the comp for shopping trips :heh:

She does a great job - I'm just glad she puts up with the hobby right along side of me ;)