PDA

View Full Version : Contest Results BrickStreet BBQ Marietta, OH

roksmith
06-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Great Weekend.. Except for the little storm right around turn in.

Congrats to Grand Champion Timothy T and the BBQ High Rollers.
Great Job 3Eyez BBQ for Reserve Grand Champion.

Chicken
1st District Barbeque
2nd Jacked UP BBQ
3rd BlackSmith Barbrcue Co.
4th Hoosier Crawdaddy
5th Can't Stop Grillin'
6th Getta Que
7th Kick Back Cove Racing & BBQ
8th Chix, Swine, and Bovine
9th Rolling Smoke BBQ
10th Smokin' Scotsmen

Ribs
1st Williams' Smokem' If You Got Em
2nd Brutus and Company
3rd Extreme Roasters
4th Regal BBQst
5th Timothy T and the BBQ High Rollers
6th Cowboy Dan
7th Hoosier Drawdaddy
8th Whiskey Bent BBQ
9th 3Eyez BBQ
10th Hoosier Smokin' Daddy

Pork
1st Regal BBQ
2nd Extreme Roasters
3rd Wrangler BBQ
4th Bronze Star BBQ
5th Cowboy Dan
6th Rubbed Smoked and Sauced
7th 2 Worthless Nuts
8th Timothy T and the BBQ High Rollers
9th 3Eyez BBQ
10 Hoosier Smokin' Daddy

Brisket
1st 3Eyez BBQ
2nd BlackSmith Barbecue Co.
3rd Getta Que
4th Kick Back Cove Racing & BBQ
5th Timothy T and the BBQ High Rollers
6th Can't Stop Grillin'
7th Jacked Up BBQ
8th Cowboy Dan
9th District Barbecue
10th Velvet Smoke

Full Results will be posted on the website

EatonHoggBBQ
06-14-2010, 03:12 PM
OK, who used the Teriyaki sauce on their pork turn in? Was it one of the Brethren here? It was delicious. :thumb: :thumb: It was nice to taste something different.

Jacked UP BBQ
06-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Are you serious????? My pork got hammered down there. I guess the lack of cbj may have haunted me. I heard a lot of judges calling it the pulled pork category. I put anything but pulled pork in my box!!!!

Scottie
06-14-2010, 03:28 PM
A lot of contests do that Matt. I always tell the organizer that they need to say pork.... We don't need to be knocked down because we do not only have pulled in the box.

EatonHoggBBQ
06-14-2010, 04:04 PM
Well I was judging pork. I've never heard any one call it the pulled pork category.

Bbq Bubba
06-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Maybe I should use that on my brisket when I cook in Ohio.
OK, who used the Teriyaki sauce on their pork turn in? Was it one of the Brethren here? It was delicious. :thumb: :thumb: It was nice to taste something different.

EatonHoggBBQ
06-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Maybe I should use that on my brisket when I cook in Ohio.

I don't know about Teriykai, but it appears that pineapple flavored brisket is popular in Ohio. But you didn't hear that from me. :icon_shy

sfisch
06-14-2010, 06:41 PM
There ya go Bubba, pineapple-teriyaki flavored brisket.
Can we call dibbs on next yrs parking spot, the parking garage was a great spot, had a really good time and glad to have met some new friends.

Scott

Dan - 3eyzbbq
06-14-2010, 07:38 PM

Thanks! :bow:

Jacked UP BBQ
06-14-2010, 08:44 PM

WOW great minds think alike!
:thumb:

Smokesman
06-15-2010, 04:45 AM
Are you serious????? My pork got hammered down there. I guess the lack of cbj may have haunted me. I heard a lot of judges calling it the pulled pork category. I put anything but pulled pork in my box!!!!

Matt & Dan,

Great meeting you both. Dan, congrats on reserve! Matt, thanks for all your help and congrats on the 2 walks - wish I could have tried some of your chicken.

Absolutely tanked our ribs which is our strong-point. Matt, if you recall they were done early and instead of wrapping them tightly in plastic wrap and possibly sacrificing tenderness (overdone) I tried to hold them for over an hour in a foil tent and they dried out. Also, our homemade glaze was prepped before but not cooked and I didn't get heat on it until after chicken turn-in so I only had about 5 minutes to heat and get it on the ribs - so the combo of almost raw glaze and opening/reheating dug us a nice little hole. Won't make that mistake again!

Matt - what was your concern about "lack of cbj"? Was the CBJ % much lower with the big jump in teams from last year - I didn't hear anything?

See you on the flipside one day and good luck! Matt S.

Smokesman
06-15-2010, 04:51 AM
I don't know about Teriykai, but it appears that pineapple flavored brisket is popular in Ohio. But you didn't hear that from me. :icon_shy

Sometimes it is tough to tell on here when someone is blowin' smoke or serious??? Pineapple? More than once?

Thanks for judging! What was your overall impression?

U2CANQUE
06-15-2010, 06:48 AM
Chicken

2nd Jacked UP BBQ

Brisket

7th Jacked Up BBQ

Damn, I am guessing that we did not end up even close to on the same tables there....he he he....

had a good time, congrats to you Dan, hellova showing for your "home field".....was good to see everyone......and now off to the next adventure.....

EatonHoggBBQ
06-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Sometimes it is tough to tell on here when someone is blowin' smoke or serious??? Pineapple?

Thanks for judging! What was your overall impression?

Maybe some one was using pineapple juice as a tenderizer and that's where the flavor came from.

Overall impression on the food that I judged was, very good.
Brisket, like I said, was the best I've ever had.

The highlight of the trip was I got to meet the 2 Worthless Nuts. :shock:

Jacked UP BBQ
06-15-2010, 10:26 AM
WOW - pineapple brisket, that is interesting. I had the most inconsistent scoring ever at this comp. Not complaining, its just weird the way the scoring went. Especially on pork, here are my scores
pork 899...988...756...768....576...888
ribs 998...888...677...668...676...889
judges 3, 4, and 5 were tough cookies!!!!!

fordfanaw
06-15-2010, 04:03 PM
jacked up;
lol...i know what you mean about the pork scores. we must been on the same table. our pork scores was 767 765 899 988 988 776. little all over the place.
smokem if you gotem bbq

NRA4Life
06-15-2010, 04:27 PM
I was also there judging this contest this past weekend. It was a good time, had some good food and some that wasn't so good. Also got to meet a few of the Brethren while I was there.

Bbq Bubba
06-15-2010, 06:16 PM
My brisket tenderness scores were 9,9,8,7,6,5. ? Were there some toothless judges there?
WOW - pineapple brisket, that is interesting. I had the most inconsistent scoring ever at this comp. Not complaining, its just weird the way the scoring went. Especially on pork, here are my scores
pork 899...988...756...768....576...888
ribs 998...888...677...668...676...889
judges 3, 4, and 5 were tough cookies!!!!!

Ford
06-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Nope - just some people that think tender is falling apart and others that think it needs a pull test first. Heck probably some of the judges were newbies and had never had brisket before the class and thought it should be cooked like pot roast.

You can't teach taste and tenderness so we see scores like these. I figure if I don't get a 5 on the sheet then scoring was pretty good. Been doing pretty good so far this year.

Jacked UP BBQ
06-15-2010, 08:05 PM
My brisket tenderness scores were 9,9,8,7,6,5. ? Were there some toothless judges there?

Funy you say that about the toothless judges. There actually was one there that I was talking to about chicken skin. All I was thinking is would I be way out of line to call the kcbs and say it should be a requirement for them to have all teeth? How can a person with only fangs judge chicken or ribs?? WTF

fordfanaw
06-15-2010, 09:55 PM
wow i must not done as bad as i thought if everyones getting the same type of scoring as us

U2CANQUE
06-16-2010, 06:44 AM
Funy you say that about the toothless judges. There actually was one there that I was talking to about chicken skin. All I was thinking is would I be way out of line to call the kcbs and say it should be a requirement for them to have all teeth? How can a person with only fangs judge chicken or ribs?? WTF

I still laugh about our conversation about that one.....

Big Ugly's BBQ
06-16-2010, 07:08 AM
I still laugh about our conversation about that one.....

Matt came by and told me that, I laughed my a$$ off! Don't know what that judge was thinking. Should have taken a pic of the guy...

U2CANQUE
06-16-2010, 07:18 AM
was good to see ya Chris.....I am sure that you guys got to celebrate with Dans family.....now just have to ensure that the folks in the greater Jeffersonville Indiana area have a better dental plan than that of southern OH.....

Big Ugly's BBQ
06-16-2010, 07:26 AM
Tell me about it!

Good to talk to ya, you headed to the mid-atlantic area anytime soon?

U2CANQUE
06-16-2010, 07:47 AM
Not unless Matt will accept me onto his team....I leave the 30th for Fort Bragg, and I will be on assignment there until late Dec, early Jan....going to most likely at least try to get Shelby, NC in....a great contest, and no others around that date......
Hoping to make the NE trek next year though.....a lot that I want to do up that way...

Spydermike72
06-16-2010, 09:18 AM

Actually they were 7,5,7,7,6,8... :becky::becky::becky: J/K...

Big Ugly's BBQ
06-16-2010, 11:06 AM
Not unless Matt will accept me onto his team....I leave the 30th for Fort Bragg, and I will be on assignment there until late Dec, early Jan....going to most likely at least try to get Shelby, NC in....a great contest, and no others around that date......
Hoping to make the NE trek next year though.....a lot that I want to do up that way...

I seem remember another fall contest in eastern NC. Also I think Gastonia is later in the year. just some suggestions

U2CANQUE
06-16-2010, 01:34 PM
I seem remember another fall contest in eastern NC. Also I think Gastonia is later in the year. just some suggestions

I was thinking about that one....they were really working on advertising that one up when I was down in Lincolnton a couple weeks ago....and I think that Myrtle Beach is still up in the air...

Big Ugly's BBQ
06-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Rocky Mount, Oct 8/9, have heard nothing but good things. I also hear the organizer know what he's doing, plus some really cool trophys. We'd be down there, but we're committed already to one here in MD.

beardjp
06-17-2010, 10:30 AM
Hey lets take it easy on the Southeast Ohio dental plan.LOL I was scratching my head when I looked at more scores too.

Chicken 888 656 986 767 889 988

Ribs 788 687 877 878 666 788

Pork 778 667 998 877 688 666

Brisket 878 978 689 778 976 988
Brisket was the biggest surprise. We barely got it in the box for turn-in, it was falling apart. It was sliced like a good meat loaf.

I was so shocked by the score on the brisket I ended up on the ground. LOL

Bbq Bubba
06-17-2010, 02:23 PM
See! They liked it so they could gum it! :rolleyes:

Great lookin boxes, nice talkin with ya! :thumb:

roksmith
06-17-2010, 04:21 PM
While we're posting boxes... here were ours

http://brickstreetbbq.com/images/brutus/chicken.jpg

http://brickstreetbbq.com/images/brutus/ribs.jpg

http://brickstreetbbq.com/images/brutus/pork.jpg

http://brickstreetbbq.com/images/brutus/brisky.jpg

Chappy
06-18-2010, 04:24 PM
Hard to get bite through skin without 4 front teeth! :) That's pretty funny. I can't believe how many 5's and 6's there were. That's crazy.

goodbuddiesbbq
06-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Everything that I cooked came out way faster than I was hoping, but I think I learned a few things.

1. It was great to chat up the RSS boys, Hoosier Crawdaddy & Extreme Roasters...quite possibly the best customer service ever and good dudes.
2. My ribs cooked about 2.5 hours faster than normal (can't completely figure it out) and got a call.
3. My chicken thighs were so bad in the humidity, that I threw in my unbrined/unmarinated drumsticks and went 11th. Shocked!!! That is a tell tale newbie judge sign.
4. My pork was very solid for what I am capable of cooking and I thought it looked great in the box. 987 788 999 888 755 655 - ouch! I'm gonna need a pint of bitter for that one.
5. My brisket was as good as I have cooked in a long time, however, I think the judges were looking for pull & tug because mine was the same that took 4th out of 70 two weeks prior in Rochester. I didn't put burnt ends in because the slices were fantastic...that was the wrong idea, it got slammed!!!

Worse finish in a long time, but I'm drumming it up to new judges...it's easiest that way.

Oh yeah, I cannot reveal the brother that jumped in and helped me in the 11th hour when I found out that it would be a solo effort for Team Whiskey Bent...as I still need to resign him to another 10 day contract. You know who you are...Thanks!

fordfanaw
06-18-2010, 10:42 PM
hey wiskey bent,

thanks alot for the tips and info. nice meeting you was a plesure meeting you and being beside you.i know who the helper was.lol

smokem if you gotem bbq

goodbuddiesbbq
06-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Congrats on those ribs, brother!

I don't think you need my advice or tips...just check out my scoring. Back to the retooling of my flavor profiles in the northeast aka midwest.

fordfanaw
06-22-2010, 11:02 PM
lol.... i can always learn a little from everyone.