PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Safeway BBQ Battle Washington DC June 25th

chopshop
06-10-2010, 12:38 AM
Anyone heading to DC to do the bbq battle. I was there last year and it is an amazing event.

Nature Boy
06-10-2010, 07:45 AM
This will be Dizzy Pig's 6th year there, and we are stoked. Different from any contest I have done, but great real estate for the weekend! So long as it's not 95 degrees, it should be a blast. Stop on by if you see us.
Cheers
Chris

Scottie
06-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Can't wait. My girls are excited.

trohrs123
06-10-2010, 08:33 AM
it will be our first time doing this contest...on a side note for those that did this contest last year...I see the KCBS portion is saturday but the cooks packet says you cant leave until sunday evening...is that rule enforced?

chopshop
06-10-2010, 09:32 AM
it will be our first time doing this contest...on a side note for those that did this contest last year...I see the KCBS portion is saturday but the cooks packet says you cant leave until sunday evening...is that rule enforced?
Im not sure. We vend there too so i really never paid much attention to when the others leave because im stuck there until sunday night anyway. im pretty sure that the competitors that were on the side street were able to get out on saturday.

Dan - 3eyzbbq
06-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Chix swine and bovine left saturday night so it can be done. They cleared it ahead of time though

Slamdunkpro
06-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Yes, you're pretty much fenced in for the weekend. Also I'd suggest bringing a hand truck or pull cart. Last year some people had to go a long way for water.

Dan - 3eyzbbq
06-10-2010, 12:44 PM
Yea, I had enough electric next to me to run a small town. Water had to be carried about a mile to my site.

Scottie
06-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Yea, I had enough electric next to me to run a small town. Water had to be carried about a mile to my site.

Good, I'll be able to have both AC units going in my RV... I'll allow other competitors to join in the cool air with me.... I'll just have to think of something to use as a bartering point to let them in. Is DC close enough to Baltimore for crabs or crab cakes? :becky:

Dan - 3eyzbbq
06-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Good, I'll be able to have both AC units going in my RV... I'll allow other competitors to join in the cool air with me.... I'll just have to think of something to use as a bartering point to let them in. Is DC close enough to Baltimore for crabs or crab cakes? :becky:

:puke:

Crabs.....ugggh.

Beefs :thumb:

Big Ugly's BBQ
06-10-2010, 02:25 PM
:puke:

Crabs.....ugggh.

Beefs :thumb:

Don't listen to 'em Scottie, you want some crabs/crab cakes, I'll see what I can do....

I've gotten Dan to expand his food variety a bit, just not with crabs. Ask him about Shrimp's from Martin's......

Scottie
06-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Don't listen to 'em Scottie, you want some crabs/crab cakes, I'll see what I can do....

I've gotten Dan to expand his food variety a bit, just not with crabs. Ask him about Shrimp's from Martin's......

Looks like I will be bringing some beefs for the contest!!! :thumb:

Slamdunkpro
06-10-2010, 07:44 PM
You're going to be right in downtown DC - There will be an abundance of crabs available just a couple of blocks over:twisted:

Oh, you meant Blue crabs:becky:

chopshop
06-10-2010, 09:41 PM
[QUOTE=Slamdunkpro;1306916]You're going to be right in downtown DC - There will be an abundance of crabs available just a couple of blocks over:twisted:
14th & k st to be exact. i wouldnt know :-P im just going by what someone else told me.

Pickin' Porkers
06-11-2010, 08:19 AM
The Pickin' Porkers will be there doing both contests!!! Count us in on any crab cake orders.....

Scottie...we'll try to win some cash for ya...

Scottie
06-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Is now a bad time to ask if there is a dominant MBN rib cooker that isn't cooking this event and wants to? My team will supply everything!!! :becky:

See you there Roger and you know we'll be rooting for you.

So where is 14th street? :shock: :tape: :roll:

chopshop
06-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Is now a bad time to ask if there is a dominant MBN rib cooker that isn't cooking this event and wants to? My team will supply everything!!! :becky:

remember what i said? someone told me about it....its right across the street from the crown plaza i stayed at last year. too funny, me and matt from jacked up bbq were walking back to the hotel last year and from pennsylvania ave to K st. is like the red light district. Its worth the walk just to take in the sights. they line 14th st. like parking meters

Jorge
06-11-2010, 10:40 AM

I think you should let the girls do the presentation!

Scottie
06-11-2010, 11:35 AM
I think you should let the girls do the presentation!

Not a bad idea... Couldn't be worse than what I am going to do..

Slamdunkpro
06-11-2010, 02:02 PM

All the "business" has actually migrated to the 13th street corridor - 2 blocks east and 1 block north:twisted:

Yazoo's
06-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Presentation is the easy part. If you (or anybody)want to go over the main points of a presentation we will be happy to walk anyone through it. Look us up on Saturday if you have time, or if you are just doing ribs watch a couple of hog presentations and adapt for ribs.

Rick Hamilton
06-22-2010, 06:51 AM
Cooked it last year. Can't make it this year. Between the cost and heading the opposite direction to take our son to camp it just isn't working out. Couple of tips...

1. Bring more extension cords than you think you need
2. Bring more hose than you think you need
3. Be patient with load in. Load out is actually pretty easy.
4. It is going to be HOT and HUMID. You are cooking on asphalt. Watch out for each other and signs of heat related issues.
4. Thats about it.

This has got to be the most unique spot for a cook-off. I wish I could have made it back this year. Good luck to everyone.

Burk504
06-22-2010, 07:55 AM
My co-captain and I volunteered for a team out of Atlanta (5 Star BBQ) last year at this and it was so awesome that we started Smokis Porkis BBQ. This will be our 3rd contest under that name and hope to bring home a little something for momma this time!

I hope to meet all of you...please stop by and introduce yourself to us young'ens.

Jeff

ThomEmery
06-22-2010, 08:21 AM
I had hopes of making this one
But life.......... Have a good un

Scottie
06-22-2010, 10:29 AM
anyone have the cooks packet for this? I've managed to put mine in a safe spot and I can't find that safe spot. If anyone has extra wrist bands, I could probably use a couple of those. I think those are in that envelope int he safe location I have secured...

Thanks!

If the rules for the MBN are in there, that would be great. I have no clue what we are supposed to do, except cook ribs and bull**** with a on-site judge...

QN
06-22-2010, 12:15 PM
anyone have the cooks packet for this? I've managed to put mine in a safe spot and I can't find that safe spot. If anyone has extra wrist bands, I could probably use a couple of those. I think those are in that envelope int he safe location I have secured...

Thanks!

If the rules for the MBN are in there, that would be great. I have no clue what we are supposed to do, except cook ribs and bull**** with a on-site judge...

That would be three on site judges...
See you there. Travel safe.

trohrs123
06-22-2010, 05:01 PM
after reviewing the cooks packet...are they really as strict as they say...it seems that everything you do results in expulsion...from bringing in your own alcohol, generator, no glass bottles, no radio during turn in times or after 9pm..etc...is it that bad??

DCFIREMANN
06-23-2010, 08:27 AM
No it is not that bad. It is a great event. If you go and don't have fun you don't know how to have fun!!!!!

rogwadd
06-25-2010, 11:40 PM
Good luck everyone. Let's hope the temps don't push 100 and the humidity stays reasonable. I've jotted down all the team names on today's Washington Post insert and will see if I can look some of you up tomorrow.

Roger

watg?
06-27-2010, 06:47 PM
any word?

Finney
06-27-2010, 07:15 PM
any word?

I've been checking all over the place and haven't seen anything yet.

ThomEmery
06-27-2010, 07:20 PM
I put a text into 3 Eyz Central

BenderQ
06-27-2010, 07:27 PM
Dang, I judged both days and I'm on the edge of my seat!

tonto1117
06-27-2010, 07:36 PM
All Iv'e heard so far is Quau GC and Cool Smoke RGC. Cool Smoke wins brisket on the KCBS side.

Brauma
06-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Tuffy... !!!

ThomEmery
06-27-2010, 08:28 PM
All Iv'e heard so far is Quau GC and Cool Smoke RGC. Cool Smoke wins brisket on the KCBS side.

What a year they are having

tonto1117
06-27-2010, 08:42 PM
What a year they are having

Indeed they are Thom! Couldn't be happier for Mike and Beth!:thumb:

Finney
06-27-2010, 09:19 PM
This was posted on the BBQ Forum:

Grand: Quau: I hear 2nd Rib and a 1st pork
Res Grand: Cool Smoke: 1st Chicken, 1st Brisket
All I know, Congrats to Mike and Tuffy

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
06-28-2010, 11:29 AM
any one have any more results.. Im sure there is alot of Brethren names at the top of the lists!

Finney
06-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Pork Barrel BBQ won the peoples choice for best sauce.

Roger and Marsha Wise (Pickin Porkers) took 3rd in both the Shoulder and Whole Hog MBN event and 5th Overall in the KCBS event.

Kit R
06-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Yazoo Delta Q took the MIM-style GC. They got a really awesome trophy that featured a huge wooden Washington Monument. I think I know now where those really high entry fees went.....

ALX
06-29-2010, 12:36 AM
You boys take a hint...:thumb:

Sledneck
06-29-2010, 07:22 AM
Congrats to fellow Long Island crew TNT Dynamite on 1st in ribs & 3rd in brisket

Sauced!
06-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Yazoo Delta Q took the MIM-style GC. They got a really awesome trophy that featured a huge wooden Washington Monument. I think I know now where those really high entry fees went.....

High entry fees? They are pretty cheap when you consider $375 got you in to the 4 KCBS categories, 1 MBN category, the Ranchers Reserve Best Beef Category and the BBQ Sauce contest! :cool:

Kit R
06-30-2010, 12:04 PM
High entry fees? They are pretty cheap when you consider $375 got you in to the 4 KCBS categories, 1 MBN category, the Ranchers Reserve Best Beef Category and the BBQ Sauce contest! :cool:

Well, there was also the $150.00 for electric hookup. So we paid $525.00 total for a 20' x 20' space and no water hookup. It was a lot of money for a two person (one family team) in comparison to other contests in the region.

Sauced!
06-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Well, there was also the $150.00 for electric hookup. So we paid $525.00 total for a 20' x 20' space and no water hookup. It was a lot of money for a two person (one family team) in comparison to other contests in the region.

Didn't realize the fee for electric. I'd say its still not out of line for all those contest entries and chances for a call but thats just me. I will say that is steep for an electric hookup.

Scottie
06-30-2010, 09:06 PM
We got to cook in 2 major contests with some of the best of the best teams in both contests. Our view was straight down Pennsylvania Ave and my kids got to walk over and see all the major sites of DC. We got to sleep on the streets and we weren't homeless. .. if given the opportunity, I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Yazoo's
06-30-2010, 10:36 PM
An amazing pain in the ass contest, still, one of the coolest places ever to cook. When you can look one way and there's the Capital, look around and see the Washington Monument and say you are cooking bbq on Pennslvania Avenue- there is a lot of value to that. A contest everyone should try at least once.

Last year we planned ahead and took our daughter for a tour of DC. Go see all the reasons why we are still the best Country in the world. Also, you just can't cook a whole hog in Paris in front of the Eiffel tower, but by gosh I cooked one in front of the most important places in our country.

Kit R
07-04-2010, 10:52 PM
An amazing pain in the ass contest, still, one of the coolest places ever to cook. When you can look one way and there's the Capital, look around and see the Washington Monument and say you are cooking bbq on Pennslvania Avenue- there is a lot of value to that. A contest everyone should try at least once.

Last year we planned ahead and took our daughter for a tour of DC. Go see all the reasons why we are still the best Country in the world. Also, you just can't cook a whole hog in Paris in front of the Eiffel tower, but by gosh I cooked one in front of the most important places in our country.

I think that captures it pretty well. I should be cynical about the venue since my spot was literally two blocks from my office, but it's still pretty neat. Yes it was over $500.00, load in was a pain in the ass (particularly for the "little guys" who had to wait as the big rigs went in ahead of us) and the only water I got was what I could carry in a Homer bucket. But I got to cook on a half block that had you guys as well as current and former KCBS TOY and the current MABA TOY. And we actually got a call in chicken, so I can always point to that golden bird and say I earned him on the streets of Washington DC.