PDA

View Full Version : I did it but it didn't go over well.

Jacked UP BBQ
06-01-2010, 12:30 PM
I was at Roc City Ribfest this weekend and one of the contests was their house comp, the roc city rib off. It was open garnish inedible was fine. I thought it would be funny to do what everyone always talks about and garnish it with $1 bills. I put foil on the bottom and up the sides to protect the food from hitting the money. Well needless to say, the rep was not very happy with me. I still think it is funny as hell as do most others that were at the comp. It was just fun. BUt the rep and the judges were appalled by this. One point was proven to me in this case. Garnish is huge factor in scoring, because I got all 4 and 5's in appearance and one 7. The ribs were at least a 7 all day. Lesson learned go garnish or go home!!!!

butt head
06-01-2010, 12:37 PM
next time try $5 :becky:

landarc
06-01-2010, 12:37 PM
They were appalled, did they throw the money back at you in disgust when they were done judging?

Jacked UP BBQ
06-01-2010, 12:39 PM
The best part is, they never gave me my money back!!!!!

Alexa RnQ
06-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Now there's one entry I'd really like a photo of. That's a crackup.

Divemaster
06-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Too funny and all to often to tempting!

LMAO!

mgwerks
06-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Maybe next time try lining it with IQ tests...

MattTee
06-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Did you hear back from the judges or are you just going from the scores? How did you end up overall? It was my first comp and I did not do the NEBS or KCBS, just ribs on Saturday.

Jacked UP BBQ
06-01-2010, 01:31 PM
@MattTee - I do not have the results in front of me to see where I ended up. I never looked at the placing. I looked at my scores. I did however talk to a few table captains and a rep who told me how mad everyone was. It was quite obvious they took it out on me. One of the Reps walked over with my box to lecture me but i was not there. The stink and deal they made out of me doing that took any chances I may have had of winning. I was already sour grapes in their books.

B C BBQ
06-01-2010, 01:35 PM
I thought you were kidding when you told us you did that.

Jorge
06-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Personally, I find it funny. As a cook do you think it might have pissed off some judges, and possibly had some impact on the entries following yours?

Dan - 3eyzbbq
06-01-2010, 01:48 PM
:clap2: Slill laughing at that one.

bbqpitstop
06-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Matt, I would have put a note in the lid that all money was laundered and sanitized.....

Alexa RnQ
06-01-2010, 02:00 PM
all 4 and 5's in appearance and one 7.
And silly us, here we were thinking judges were supposed to be scoring the appearance of the meat, not the garnish. http://www.allducks.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/nono.gif :tape:

ique
06-01-2010, 02:08 PM
@MattTee - I do not have the results in front of me to see where I ended up. I never looked at the placing. I looked at my scores. I did however talk to a few table captains and a rep who told me how mad everyone was. It was quite obvious they took it out on me. One of the Reps walked over with my box to lecture me but i was not there. The stink and deal they made out of me doing that took any chances I may have had of winning. I was already sour grapes in their books.

It was supposed to a be fun backyard contest, I see no problem with it...

Lake Dogs
06-01-2010, 02:09 PM
L M A O !!!! Seriously, that's a box worth taking a picture of!!!!!

Oh, I only wish I were there to hear the judges....

:clap2:

Does make you wonder though, if those were $20's, would the
score have been different? Would the money have come back?
My hat's off to you!!!!

Alexa RnQ
06-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Does make you wonder though, if those were $20's, would the score have been different? Would the money have come back?

You know, we had a judging class like that, where an entry was lowballed on scores because it "didn't look like there was enough for six portions". Maybe that was the problem!

goodbuddiesbbq
06-01-2010, 03:17 PM
That's awesome!

You were just givin those dolla dolla bills to put them through school, huh?

"It's just people helping people"

We didn't garnish at all and caught a 4, two 5's, two 6's, and a 7. I think we finished 35th in the rib contest...think we will garnish with dollars next time to try and catch a few more 5's and 6's.

What do you have planned for the next garnish?

MattTee
06-01-2010, 03:49 PM

Seems pretty harmless to me but what the heck do I know.

Spydermike72
06-01-2010, 04:06 PM
That is awesome!!

monty3777
06-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Great idea!! Screw 'em if they can't take a joke!

Coz
06-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Dont know why thet dont like that presentation :tsk: I think it was used up last year!

goodsmokebbq
06-01-2010, 05:02 PM

68th... full results are on the web for the non-KCBS http://www.roccityribfest.com

U2CANQUE
06-01-2010, 05:06 PM
I will say it in public.....you are f***ing the king.....I can see that the vending must have been really great this weekend....I am glad that you had a blast, and thank you for making a smile on my face today.........:crazy:

Rookie'48
06-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Non sanctioned with no rules on the garnish, right? I'd have to give ya at least an 8 just for chitz & grins, hoping that's the way you meant it. Hell, maybe a 9 for origionality.
But then again, what do I know? ;>)

Sledneck
06-01-2010, 06:12 PM
I was at Roc City Ribfest this weekend and one of the contests was their house comp, the roc city rib off. It was open garnish inedible was fine. I thought it would be funny to do what everyone always talks about and garnish it with $1 bills. I put foil on the bottom and up the sides to protect the food from hitting the money. Well needless to say, the rep was not very happy with me. I still think it is funny as hell as do most others that were at the comp. It was just fun. BUt the rep and the judges were appalled by this. One point was proven to me in this case. Garnish is huge factor in scoring, because I got all 4 and 5's in appearance and one 7. The ribs were at least a 7 all day. Lesson learned go garnish or go home!!!!
Was it the same rep that wasnt going to let you compete last year in Troy?

widespread
06-01-2010, 06:14 PM
WTG Matt, I love it... made my day! Where's the picture?

monty3777
06-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Next year hit 'em with the scratch and some cayenne pepper. That's making a statement!!

DawgPhan
06-01-2010, 08:21 PM
I must raise one small point....according to brethren rules..no pictures, didnt happen.

I find it quite hypothetically amusing.

landarc
06-01-2010, 08:26 PM
That is a good point made above...was the number of bills divisible evenly by 6?

Jacked UP BBQ
06-02-2010, 07:45 AM
I put six bills in the box. I didn't take a picture, but showed a few guys before I turned it in. Sled - the reps from troy were there, but they werent't mad, there was another who did not get a kick out of it.

goodsmokebbq
06-02-2010, 07:47 AM
I put six bills in the box. I didn't take a picture, but showed a few guys before I turned it in. Sled - the reps from troy were there, but they werent't mad, there was another who did not get a kick out of it.

Reps did show me the box before they went out to try and find you... Was very hard to keep a straight face.

timzcardz
06-02-2010, 08:05 AM
I thought it would be funny to do what everyone always talks about and garnish it with $1 bills.

I put six bills in the box.

Six $1 bills?

You cheap $#!& !

You got the scores that you deserved! :-P

Pretty funny if you ask me though.

This was one of those Buck-A-Bone things, wasn't it? :wink:

bigabyte
06-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Too funny. However, I'm not sure I would want to eat food that might have touched paper money for only $1 though.

goodsmokebbq
06-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Too funny. However, I'm not sure I would want to eat food that might have touched paper money for only $1 though.

He covered it with foil so the money was never touching the ribs... the edges were showing

swamprb
06-02-2010, 09:57 AM
How much did you make vending?

tonto1117
06-02-2010, 10:24 AM

:clap2::clap2::clap2:....Love it!! Would have loved to be a fly on the wall when that box was opend!!:bow:

BoneDaddy's
06-02-2010, 10:48 AM
maybe I will try it at rockin ribfest next week.....nah, I don't have the ba11s!

Jacked UP BBQ
06-02-2010, 11:18 AM

that would be along the lines of asking hom much you make at your job? :icon_blush:

bbqpitstop
06-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Matt,
How much do you make at your job ? lol

motoeric
06-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Did the rep ever find you to offer up his lecture?

If you weren't breaking the rules it would take some mighty big cajones to think that he/she had the right to lecture you.

Very funny idea! Sorry about the lack of pictures.

Eric

SmokeInDaEye
06-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Matt,
How much do you make at your job ? lol HA!:clap2:

chopshop
06-02-2010, 06:19 PM

you are definitely not bashful. WOW.

smknwhlswife
06-02-2010, 06:27 PM
At least you weren't DQ'ed. Someone stuck the contest's bumper sticker in the lid and got DQ'ed. Don't know if that makes any sense.

daedalus
06-03-2010, 06:59 AM
I will be waiting for your book, "How to Make Friends and Influence Judges" to come out.

Lake Dogs
06-03-2010, 08:01 AM
Did the rep ever find you to offer up his lecture?

If you weren't breaking the rules it would take some mighty big cajones to think that he/she had the right to lecture you.

Very funny idea! Sorry about the lack of pictures.

Eric

I would *hope* that the organizer would look back at their decision
to allow damned near anything as garnish and see it as a mistake. Either
no garnish, or define exactly what is allowed in the box. Leaving it open,
you did nothing wrong, and frankly a lecture was not due. The lecture
should've been directed to the doofus that created the rule(s) for this
portion to start with.

goodsmokebbq
06-03-2010, 08:50 AM
portion to start with.

You should put a little smiley face after remarks like that, because someone might take offense to it...

Jacked UP BBQ
06-03-2010, 08:53 AM
You should put a little smiley face after remarks like that, because someone might take offense to it...

Why would the guy who made the rules be at fault? Rules are rules? No one was at fault here, no rule was broken.

ique
06-03-2010, 09:31 AM
portion to start with.

Lots of contests allow anything goes garnish for ancillaries. The Jack Daniels contest is one example.

Jacked UP BBQ
06-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Lots of contests allow anything goes garnish for ancillaries. The Jack Daniels contest is one example.

I will be using $100 bills when I go to the jack sometime~!!!

Scottie
06-03-2010, 09:52 AM
I will be using $100 bills when I go to the jack sometime~!!!

I want to say they only called first place for those categories? I am not sure if that is even worth it... OK, maybe it is...

bam
06-03-2010, 10:58 AM
I think it was funny but now I know not to do it. :clap2:

Lake Dogs
06-04-2010, 08:37 AM
> Why would the guy who made the rules be at fault? Rules are rules? No one was at fault here, no rule was broken.

Absolutely 100% correct.

I should've added/said this: The lecture, IF one just had to be given,
portion to start with.

Frankly, I'm of the opinion that no lecture was due (to anyone), and the judges
should've scored the entry as presented. If they were miffed, they should've
been excused/relieved. It's an ancillary category where, for lack of a better
description, anything goes, and anything did just that. Hats off to Jacked Up!

> Lots of contests allow anything goes garnish for ancillaries.
> The Jack Daniels contest is one example.

Yep. Most of the comps 'round here have them too. Anything goes, including
a box lined with money. I've been thinking about a soup ancillary I have coming
up and was wondering what to line the bottom of the box with. I think I now
have a new idea! I like it. Green is GREEN. Actually, it might go over better
as the lining on the Margarita and Bloody Mary categories.

I hope if he got scored down on presentation/appearance it was because he
didn't use nice crisp new/fresh dollar bills... Or, perhaps they weren't displayed
in a neat manner that was appealing to the eye. In ancillaries, that I've seen,
garnish IS part of appearance score vs. KCBS sanctioned event garnish.

ique
06-04-2010, 08:41 AM
Nothing beats that walk :clap2:

I want to say they only called first place for those categories? I am not sure if that is even worth it... OK, maybe it is...

goodsmokebbq
06-04-2010, 08:42 AM
I should've added/said this: The lecture, IF one just had to be given,
portion to start with.

Really, again??? Now I have been called many things in my life, but never once, let alone twice have I been called stupid...

OK, by the wife doesn't count :icon_blush:

Lake Dogs
06-04-2010, 08:59 AM
I didnt mean to call stupid. My direct apology to 'ya, Brian.

However, in defense of my opinion, open IS open. If someone wanted to put
parts to a '57 chevy in them, that should be fine, as long as it was done in
a way that wouldn't harm a judge.
Money; no harm...

If there are "unwritten rules", I suggest writing them. I think what Jacked Up
did was very creative, and frankly should've received extra bonus points. IMHO.

Oh, BTW, my wife reminds me constantly of my own stupidity.

Jacked Up, if you're ever considering doing this again, I might suggest making
the same gesture with money that banks use for teller training; fake money.
It's real enough, yet fake, and much less expensive:

http://www.banksupplies.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/545_897/products_id/2367/osCsid/621b5a1468ff554778e26e7bcf19a0c6

goodsmokebbq
06-04-2010, 09:08 AM
I didnt mean to call stupid. My direct apology to 'ya, Brian.

However, in defense of my opinion, open IS open. If someone wanted to put
parts to a '57 chevy in them, that should be fine, as long as it was done in
a way that wouldn't harm a judge.
Money; no harm...

If there are "unwritten rules", I suggest writing them. I think what Jacked Up
did was very creative, and frankly should've received extra bonus points. IMHO.

Oh, BTW, my wife reminds me constantly of my own stupidity.

Thanks, and I agree the reps / table captains should have handled the situation differently. I think the judges might have scored higher if the reps / table captains didn't make such a big deal about it. Lesson learned for open garnish comps in the future I guess...

Next year we are going to have the judging of the Roc City Rib Cook Off done by the general public who would probably appreciate the humor of MAtt's entry. We are going to charge something like $10 bucks from the public to judge and give it all to the Ronald McDonald House here in Rochester. We could raise a bunch of money, and get judges in line with the fun aspect of this comp.

Lake Dogs
06-04-2010, 09:31 AM
Thanks, and I agree the reps / table captains should have handled the situation differently. I think the judges might have scored higher if the reps / table captains didn't make such a big deal about it. Lesson learned for open garnish comps in the future I guess...

Next year we are going to have the judging of the Roc City Rib Cook Off done by the general public who would probably appreciate the humor of MAtt's entry. We are going to charge something like $10 bucks from the public to judge and give it all to the Ronald McDonald House here in Rochester. We could raise a bunch of money, and get judges in line with the fun aspect of this comp.

VERY COOL idea!!! I like it!!!!!! :clap2:

Tweedle
06-04-2010, 12:07 PM
maybe i will try it at rockin ribfest next week.....nah, i don't have the ba11s!

doooo iiiiit!

bam
06-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Who do we sue to get the 6 bucks back? :boxing: