PDA

View Full Version : Va. Beach BBQ - Jake's Smokehouse and BBQ

btcg
05-31-2010, 08:20 PM
Drove to Va. Beach for the weeked, and the wife decided to indulge me: she suggested BBQ, so we got a carry-out from this place called Jake's Smokehouse and BBQ.

Man... what a mistake that was. We ordered a slab of their Memphis ribs and 1/2 BBQ chicken. Must have been inspired by Memphis, Egypt. The ribs and chicken were over-cooked and dry as sand, as were the corn on the cobb and mashed potatoes. Their garlic toast was the only thing moist.

We ordered at their carry-out window, and it was warm, so I asked the kid waiting on us if they had a bar, so we could get a drink while we waited. He tells us that do not have a bar, but we were welcome to come in and have a soft drink while we waited for our order. Another mistake. We went in, sat down, and were ignored by the waitresses and manager.
Gawd awful waste of $32.00.

Grillman
05-31-2010, 09:05 PM
Sweet memories.

And memories are like Starlight....they go on forever.

UVaJester
05-31-2010, 09:37 PM
I could have warned you about that place... I always thought it was some sort of franchise chain becuase of the quality of there food. Sad thing is there is a better (not amazing, but better) place that was about a block down the street from there.

btcg
05-31-2010, 10:12 PM
UVa,

What's the better place?

By the way, writing this from the Ocean Beach Club hotel.

Diver
06-02-2010, 05:09 PM
I have to believe UVA is talking about Malbon Brothers. It is a small raunt in the back of a gas station/convenience store. It's actually pretty good. One of my favorites at the beach but there's not a lot of good q in va beach imo.