PDA

View Full Version : Rib Food for thought

Smoke'n Ice
05-24-2010, 04:47 PM
At the GAB this past week, I looked at my rib scores from the invite (35th out of 49) and realized that one judge hated them and one found them so-so while the rest were happy. After analyzing, soul searching, brow beating and brain storming with my partner we concluded that the following may have been the reason:
We spend a great deal of effort to get all of the turn-ins from one rack of ribs and have a very uniform display of four and three.
Invitational Data
When we cook the ribs, the smaller ends tend to get darker and dry out somewhat.
The smaller end is usually placed on top of the four which are from the center.
Theorized that the first judge took the smallest as it was on the right, and so-on
Supposition
We may be wrong in how we select the ribs for turn-in, what if we select only the center cut ribs from multiple racks providing all things are equal. ie. taste, color, doneness, appearance.
Open Data
We selected 5 center cut ribs from one rack and placed them on the bottom
We selected 4 center cut ribs from another rack and place them on the top
Results
All 6 judges gave fairly uniform scores
We placed 20th out of 190.

Thoughts and/or comments on the reasoning and solution are requested as this goes against everything we have been taught and read.

CBQ
05-24-2010, 05:35 PM
We spend a great deal of effort to get all of the turn-ins from one rack of ribs and have a very uniform display of four and three.

Taste and tenderness matter more than appearance. Forget those dried up pieces on the end and take pieces from the middle, even if you have to use more than one rack. Your results in the open show this.

I am not sure that taking them all from one rack helps appearance either. The end pieces are smaller, so taking the same sized pieces from different racks will help uniformity as well. Uniform food looks more appealing.

Ron_L
05-24-2010, 05:59 PM
If you are stacking the ribs in the box, the judges are going to see the top set of ribs, and a little bit of the bottom set. Put your best looking ribs on top (but make sure that they are cooked right and taste good since they will be grabbed first). The ones in the back can be less attractive since they won't really be seen. I like to have ribs that are next to each other be from the same rack, but that isn't mandatory. I just think it looks better.

BearCat
05-24-2010, 09:51 PM
I find the ends are for the public, I never seem to get bones from different racks to be even close, so I have been sending in some non favorable selects just for presentation reason. Going forward I will not thanks for info here

CBQ
05-24-2010, 10:07 PM
I find the ends are for the public, I never seem to get bones from different racks to be even close, so I have been sending in some non favorable selects just for presentation reason. Going forward I will not thanks for info here

Ya, don't do it. Taste comes first. So why aren't the bones close? What size racks are you buying?

Divemaster
05-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Normally I look for my best two racks... The center cut of the very best goes on top, 2nd best goes on the bottom layer...

That being said, Dells was the first comp that we were able to get it all out of 1 rack and it actually hurt me on my appearance scores, but not on the taste/tend. scores...

bigabyte
05-25-2010, 12:54 PM
I think Ron is spot on about the appearance. Also, if the ribs you turn in are inconsistent, meaning some from the end which are more done than ones in the center, then taste/tenderness scoring should also mirror that inconsistency.