PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Do?

FatBoyz
05-24-2010, 11:46 AM
What would you do it you where at a comp and you where derected to your site by a comp rep and all set up trailer level and everything unstraped.... then thay come to you and say you must move ... your in there bar having a drink so you say" il do it as soon as i finish my beer"thay say we can move it for you! You say " YEA right go for it"...
Then your friend sitting next to you says there goes your trailer... you look out and low and behold it is your trailer on a tow truck.... all your chit is in a pile and your cords are draging behind.And no this is not a hypathetica Question. Let me also say this was not me but a very respected cook.

Ford
05-24-2010, 11:50 AM
I might get a little upset.

Bbq Bubba
05-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Only at the Dells. :(

Ron_L
05-24-2010, 12:11 PM
I would be upset, but if he really did say "Yea right, go for it" he did give them permission, sarcastic or not :-D Still, they shouldn't have done it unless it was blocking access or egress for emergency vehicles AND there was an emergency.

RobKC
05-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Before becoming a smartass, I think I would have at least gone outside to find out why they wanted me to move and where they wanted me to move. After getting all the answers to my questions, I could very well shift into smartass gear.

FatBoyz
05-24-2010, 12:21 PM
this was already discused i was shorting the story some there was no reason to make him move!thay could have moved the othe guy who was not even there! andit was them that sent him the map showing his site witch was where thay put him !!! another clarical error i guess...

DawgPhan
05-24-2010, 12:23 PM
If this happened just say what team and what contest so the rest of us know to never attend that contest again. Save us all the hassle of dealing with mouth breathing idiots like this. please

FatBoyz
05-24-2010, 12:36 PM
i was told it is ok to say who ... it was mark bourne team name The Heat is on... Dells comp

BearCat
05-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Personally would have replied "as soon as I am done with this beer" however if they wanted to move it themselfs at that point I would have started out to see what was going on why and if I was instructed to set up there.

DawgPhan
05-24-2010, 12:49 PM
i was told it is ok to say who ... it was mark bourne team name The Heat is on... Dells comp

This seems like a good signal to everyone that this contests shouldn't be bothered with...didnt they try and include gift cards and trophies in the prize money and now towing people's rigs?

Everyone should just stay away from this contest in support of contests just being straight with the teams.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
05-24-2010, 01:32 PM
1st off I need to know something.

did the competitor just set up or did the organizer show them were to set up when they got on site? how long were they set up?

I have gotten to a comp with a map in hand and found that I was moved because of electric issues etc....thats why I always have the organizer place me where they want me to avoid anything like having to set up tare down and start over again.

I think its bullchit to mess with some ones equiptment and should not have been moved/towed. I hope nothing was damaged.

I must a be a nice guy cause I would have walked away from the beer and tried to work with organizer.

Sal

RobKC
05-24-2010, 01:39 PM
I think its bullchit to mess with some ones equiptment and should not have been moved/towed. I hope nothing was damaged.

I must a be a nice guy cause I would have walked away from the beer and tried to work with organizer.

Sal

I agree on both counts. Nobody is going to move our trailer/equipment except us, no matter who is right or wrong.

BBQchef33
05-24-2010, 02:43 PM
i guess im a hardnose... if someone hooks up my trailer that is NOT ready for transport, meaning all is unstrapped and flying around...and drags it and my equipment around the site needs to be prepared for some not to pleasant NY attitude.

IMO, if they placed me there, and im unpacked and set up, they need to make other adjustments. To knock down again, and setup somewhere else is alot of work.

CivilWarBBQ
05-24-2010, 02:55 PM
This sounds like one side of an emotional story. Rather than jump to conclusions and raise a lynch mob, I'd be inclined to hear the other perspectives directly from the parties involved.

This sort of inflammatory hearsay post often leads to a lot of hard feelings, sometimes for little reason. Go easy now, y'all.

FatBoyz
05-24-2010, 03:25 PM
this is from the peoples mouth.. many saw it and most knew what happend... it was a stupid thing to do. he was derectid to park there it took him an 11/2 to get all set up and level... this was yet another dumb azz thing at this comp...

The Turk
05-24-2010, 03:39 PM
This sounds like one side of an emotional story. Rather than jump to conclusions and raise a lynch mob, I'd be inclined to hear the other perspectives directly from the parties involved.

This sort of inflammatory hearsay post often leads to a lot of hard feelings, sometimes for little reason. Go easy now, y'all.

Well unfortunetly that is what happened. They didn't give him a chance to move it they just did it. Anyone who knows Mark can just imagine how pissed off he was. They dragged off his custom featherlight trailer without any regard. Good Luck to them next year getting teams back.

Jeff_in_KC
05-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Not sure they would have any say in the issue but Mark should at least let the KCBS office know what happened with this.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
05-24-2010, 03:50 PM
this is from the peoples mouth.. many saw it and most knew what happend... it was a stupid thing to do. he was derectid to park there it took him an 11/2 to get all set up and level... this was yet another dumb azz thing at this comp...

thank you for answering my question. Since he was directed to set up there they had no right to touch anything of his for any reason (not that there is ever a reason)! sounds like this comp shouldnt happen again. any idea of what the kcbs reps said about it?

Coz
05-24-2010, 04:38 PM
And something I didnt see mentioned here was this happened on THURSDAY .

G$
05-24-2010, 05:27 PM
That must have been a pretty big beer, or a pretty fast moving "repo crew". It is almost unbelievable they were prepared to move someone else's trailer that fast with what essentially amounts to no advanced warning.

PimpSmoke
05-24-2010, 06:11 PM
There were moving fast enough that I mistakenly thought his truck broke down or something and that might have been his other teammates. I took them probably 10 minutes tops, and they didn't secure everything. I was right across the main aisle from his site when they did it.

Buster Dog BBQ
05-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Still haven't read why he had to move. Mark's been around BBQ a long time and knows what's right and wrong, so I doubt he setup or parked in the wrong. Were there no volunteers to take to the site? What an incredible liability it is on the organizers part if something did happen to that trailer.

G$
05-24-2010, 06:30 PM
There were moving fast enough that I mistakenly thought his truck broke down or something and that might have been his other teammates. I took them probably 10 minutes tops, and they didn't secure everything. I was right across the main aisle from his site when they did it.

Wow. Just Wow.

CajunSmoker
05-24-2010, 06:35 PM

Dam:mad2: They would have seen some louisiana fireworks if they came in farkin with my stuff to make accomodations for someone that wasn't even there yet after they had directed me to set up there.:boxing::boxing::boxing:

FatBoyz
05-24-2010, 08:27 PM
hell i have not even goten into the porta potty issue...

BBQ Grail
05-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Personally I would never have, even sarcastically, told someone I didn't know to "YEA right go for it" You just never know how someone is going to react. Whether or not they should have actually moved it or not, I wouldn't have handled it that way.

It would appear having a beer in the bar was more important than handling the situation. They didn't handle it correctly...for sure...but neither did you (or whoever).

Just my opinion...fire suit on...and I'm out...

Coz
05-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Mark parked exactly where the people showed him to park. 2 porta potties for 62 teams unless you rented one for your site.

The Turk
05-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Personally I would never have, even sarcastically, told someone I didn't know to "YEA right go for it" You just never know how someone is going to react. Whether or not they should have actually moved it or not, I wouldn't have handled it that way.

It would appear having a beer in the bar was more important than handling the situation. They didn't handle it correctly...for sure...but neither did you (or whoever).

Just my opinion...fire suit on...and I'm out...

Bull@#it, the organizers were Clueless and Way out of Line!

PimpSmoke
05-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Mark parked exactly where the people showed him to park. 2 porta potties for 62 teams unless you rented one for your site.

That did kinda suck, I'm glad I was close to them.

BBQ Grail
05-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Bull@#it, the organizers were Clueless and Way out of Line!

Not arguing the point of whether or not an organizer was out of line. If it would have been me, I would have handled it differently.

Billy's question was "What would you do?"

I would have put down my diet coke, walked outside and probably told them to pound sand. But I wouldn't have said "Yea, right go for it."

CivilWarBBQ
05-25-2010, 09:59 AM
Sounds odd for sure. Still, I'd like to hear from teh other side - there could be issues we don't know about. Did the fire marshall show up and demand the trailer be moved or he was going to shut the event down? Did an emergency vehicle need to get through that was blocked? Was cook directed to the site by an unauthorized person?

Whatever the reason, it does seem as if the thing was not handled very tactfully. Just goes to show it takes more than prize money to make cook teams turn out for a contest.

WineMaster
05-25-2010, 11:29 AM
What would you do it you where at a comp and you where derected to your site by a comp rep and all set up trailer level and everything unstraped.... then thay come to you and say you must move ... your in there bar having a drink so you say" il do it as soon as i finish my beer"thay say we can move it for you! You say " YEA right go for it"...
Then your friend sitting next to you says there goes your trailer... you look out and low and behold it is your trailer on a tow truck.... all your chit is in a pile and your cords are draging behind.And no this is not a hypathetica Question. Let me also say this was not me but a very respected cook.

Thats about the time he should have taken them seriously. Also the time that i'm sure Egos stepped in.

FatBoyz
05-25-2010, 11:34 AM
yup my question is what would you do! I know i would have asked them if you put 2 of us in the same spot and im here first well movehim please as i am set up already...hell for that madder i would think the organizer would have thought that thru them selfs... I also think in that position i would have said somthing sarcastic my self...because i would be pissed in the first place that thay put me there move the other guy... i have had that haqppen to me before sorry billy we put this guy in your spot and could you please set up here? shure no biggy...

Scottie
05-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Well unfortunetly that is what happened. They didn't give him a chance to move it they just did it. Anyone who knows Mark can just imagine how pissed off he was. They dragged off his custom featherlight trailer without any regard. Good Luck to them next year getting teams back.

I am sure he was spitting mad. I would of been as well. That sucks it had to happen to Cheese.

FWIW Turk, I believe that this will be a one and done contest anyway.

Candy Sue
05-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Sometimes bad stuff happens at contests. Hate that for Mark, hope his gear was good! As cooks we have the right not to support such events. I have a short list, thank goodness. But there's a not-far-away contest that I wouldn't go back to because of events of 2 years ago. Way it goes...

DawgPhan
05-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Sometimes bad stuff happens at contests. Hate that for Mark, hope his gear was good! As cooks we have the right not to support such events. I have a short list, thank goodness. But there's a not-far-away contest that I wouldn't go back to because of events of 2 years ago. Way it goes...

And dont just look at these situations and think that since you had a good time that you should go back. The next time it could be you. I am an EZ-up and WSM guy and if someone asked me to pack up, I would have to just ask for a refund and back up and head home. I simply could not pack and un-pack again and still cook the contest. It takes too much work.

Dont just stand by and let your fellow cooks get screwed over by bad contest organizers...it isnt like this was the first straw with this contest.

Brauma
05-25-2010, 05:05 PM
What did Mark do? Did he set back up and cook? I wouldve been so farkin mad I couldnt see straight. It's a wonder someone didnt get an azz whippin.

tonto1117
05-25-2010, 05:50 PM
And dont just look at these situations and think that since you had a good time that you should go back. The next time it could be you. I am an EZ-up and WSM guy and if someone asked me to pack up, I would have to just ask for a refund and back up and head home. I simply could not pack and un-pack again and still cook the contest. It takes too much work.

Dont just stand by and let your fellow cooks get screwed over by bad contest organizers...it isnt like this was the first straw with this contest.

I am sure he was spitting mad. I would of been as well. That sucks it had to happen to Cheese.

FWIW Turk, I believe that this will be a one and done contest anyway.

Yep,yep and yep! Have only been competing for a little over 2 years and learned ALOT about things to look for with first time contests like this one. This one has really been an eye opener for me and has changed my way of thinking about our future choices.

Ford
05-25-2010, 06:39 PM
I strongly encourage all of you who had problems with any contest to fill in a critique form. If you listen to the minutes of the May BOD meeting you will hear the discussion on contest problems. If there are major problems the BOD will discuss and will either have the Rep talk with them to make sure things get fixed or even notify them they won't be sanctioned next year. BUT it only works if cooks send in their comments on the appropriate form that is handed out at the contest and is also available in the downloads section of the KCBS website.

And 2 porta pottys for teams sounds worse than at Grand Rapids a few years back when it flowed out the doors. Hopefully those that order a unit shared with neighbors.

Divemaster
05-26-2010, 01:02 PM
I strongly encourage all of you who had problems with any contest to fill in a critique form. If you listen to the minutes of the May BOD meeting you will hear the discussion on contest problems. If there are major problems the BOD will discuss and will either have the Rep talk with them to make sure things get fixed or even notify them they won't be sanctioned next year. BUT it only works if cooks send in their comments on the appropriate form that is handed out at the contest and is also available in the downloads section of the KCBS website.
I couldn't agree more. Good comp or bad, we should all be filling them out!

And 2 porta pottys for teams sounds worse than at Grand Rapids a few years back when it flowed out the doors. Hopefully those that order a unit shared with neighbors.
From what I understand, that was NOT the case.

PimpSmoke
05-26-2010, 03:46 PM
There was a large restroom area with accesible toilets and a hand washing station, but it was inside the festival grounds and I doubt most of the teams even knew they were there.

The Turk
05-26-2010, 06:32 PM
What did Mark do? Did he set back up and cook? I wouldve been so farkin mad I couldnt see straight. It's a wonder someone didnt get an azz whippin.

Yes he did stay and cooked it. Finished 11th I beleive.

Coz
05-26-2010, 08:36 PM
From what I understand, that was NOT the case.[/QUOTE]

You were there at the time how many did you think were there?

Squeel Appeal
05-27-2010, 05:55 AM
Well what would i do , hum lets see I would first say hold that thought and let me finish my beer , then ask him why should I move thats were you put me, then if the conversation continued I would have given him a double handed middle finger . told them if I had to move my gear I wanted a refund , if I didnt get that open a case of whoop ass on somebody. I am a proud graduate of the Stone Cold Steve Austin University top of my class majoring in whoopass and beer drinking!! LOL

Divemaster
05-27-2010, 08:55 AM

From what I understand, that was NOT the case.

You were there at the time how many did you think were there?
We only had the two near the judging tent... To be honest, I never really looked for any others...

Peteg
05-27-2010, 09:54 AM
There were two on the opposite side of the grounds as well. There were also nice restrooms inside Buffalo Phils within about 300 feet of the front gate.

Smokesman
05-27-2010, 10:56 AM
There are certainly several details missing from this discussion. It doesn't sound like the team was moved so another team could have that spot. If the moved team was in fact placed in error near a means of egress, in a more expensive vendor spot, or near the judging tent then the appropriate action was to first apologize for the mistake then "Amish" style get a group together to carefully move and re-setup the affected team. A refund of all or a portion of the entry fee would also be appropriate because of the time and inconvenience involved.

Irregardless of how he was approached about the problem by reps, it sounds to me like the team captain who got moved had already been drinking and went straight into smart-ass mode and wasn't cooperative. I do think it is odd though that no one with a clearer head intervened to come up with a better solution that the rather heavy handed moving of the team.

Lake Dogs
05-27-2010, 01:39 PM
Nothing that a good napalm strike wouldn't have fixed....

daedalus
05-27-2010, 03:08 PM
I'm pretty sure that had that happened to me, I would have spent the weekend in jail. It would have gotten really ugly really fast.

The Turk
05-27-2010, 03:24 PM
There are certainly several details missing from this discussion. It doesn't sound like the team was moved so another team could have that spot. If the moved team was in fact placed in error near a means of egress, in a more expensive vendor spot, or near the judging tent then the appropriate action was to first apologize for the mistake then "Amish" style get a group together to carefully move and re-setup the affected team. A refund of all or a portion of the entry fee would also be appropriate because of the time and inconvenience involved.

Irregardless of how he was approached about the problem by reps, it sounds to me like the team captain who got moved had already been drinking and went straight into smart-ass mode and wasn't cooperative. I do think it is odd though that no one with a clearer head intervened to come up with a better solution that the rather heavy handed moving of the team.

Well you would be wrong on may levels. "What sounds to You like" is a hell of an assumption. This contest organizer did just about everything wrong. And this team captain was having a drink if the Host facility, trying to support them when the heavy hand of a confused organizer came down.

Jorge
05-27-2010, 03:29 PM
I've followed this from the beginning. Some folks have some or most of the facts from at least one side. Some folks have it second and third hand. And some folks are just talking chit, in my opinion.

Billy asked what people would do, and he got some answers. Absolutely nothing wrong with that! Now we've moved on to making inferences or WAGs about what happened and what kind of state of mind people were in.

In another week I'm expecting to find out who shot JFK.

Coz
05-27-2010, 04:49 PM
I've followed this from the beginning. Some folks have some or most of the facts from at least one side. Some folks have it second and third hand. And some folks are just talking chit, in my opinion.

Billy asked what people would do, and he got some answers. Absolutely nothing wrong with that! Now we've moved on to making inferences or WAGs about what happened and what kind of state of mind people were in.

Tanya shot him

Smokesman
05-28-2010, 03:58 AM
Well you would be wrong on may levels. "What sounds to You like" is a hell of an assumption. This contest organizer did just about everything wrong. And this team captain was having a drink if the Host facility, trying to support them when the heavy hand of a confused organizer came down.

I wasn't there. I was asked my opinion and that is what you got. This thread asks a question and is a good discussion however it is very thin on details and no one who was actually there has shared in more detail what actually happened...so those of us that were not there are left guessing.

So what actually happened? For the life of me I can't imagine an organizer even asking one comp team to move only to be replaced by another comp team - it doesn't make any sense?

This comp was also part of a festival. Assuming no other issues (fire marshall, etc) were involved then the only "guess" that does make sense is the comp team was placed (in error) in a more expensive vendor spot? If no other vendor spots were available then I do believe a move is warranted.

It takes two to tango my friends! If the contest organizer was a jerk from the outset then shame on him but it sounds like a personality clash from the beginning on both sides. If the organizer was just plain off his rocker and was showing preference to one comp team by making another move then the team captain should have instead said "Stop!" and gotten the KCBS rep involved IMMEDIATELY! That is what I would have done.

crd26a
05-28-2010, 07:52 AM
I'd have asked if I could have a Klondike bar

monty3777
05-28-2010, 09:57 AM
What happened at the cook's meeting? I would think that if this happened to me that's where I'd sound off in a big way. If this is what actually happened - and I'm inclined to think it did - then teams who participated should gather together and formally boycott next year's contest. Send a letter with all the team names included to sponsors of the event, event coordinators, and KCBS. I certainly wouldn't let the issue die.

The_Kapn
05-29-2010, 09:21 AM
Interesting situation.

I, for one, would like to hear what led up to the "move".

Until then, it is impossible for me to comment on this.

TIM

Smokesman
05-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Interesting situation.

I, for one, would like to hear what led up to the "move".

Until then, it is impossible for me to comment on this.

TIM

Ah, come on there, put your fire suit on and jump on in with some WAG's. : )

Seriously, as this "sport" grows it is a good discussion to have because many more first time comps will be showing up so the likelihood that this could happen to another is good. How you react is key to the turnout! Hopefully someone with more first hand knowledge will shed more light.