PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Brick City BBQ & Blues - Mexico MO, June 18-19

trueque
05-20-2010, 10:42 AM
I just registered for this comp having heard good things about last years experiences. Anyone else care to add their experiences or tips for making the best of this event? Also looking for others planning on attending.

http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?year=&month=&id=2234

Munkee's Pit
05-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Natural Born Griller's will be there.

This is a great contest. It is held in a private park with lots of room, green grass and big shade trees. There is beer garden and live music on Friday night, and the Shriner's have a hot breakfast for everybody early Saturday morning. Just be ready to meet lots of people and have a good time.

trueque
05-20-2010, 12:53 PM
Good to hear. This will be my first KCBS comp after only two unsanctioned events (Schlafly Porksteak Championship & Jakey in June) and am looking forward to it. I enjoyed the short phone conversation I had with Jon Oliver, explained the layout and resources available and made me feel welcomed as a newbie.

I probably won't have any banners identifying our father and son team, so I would like to walk over and meet your team if you don't mind Phil. Looking forward to it.

Munkee's Pit
05-20-2010, 01:36 PM
Sounds good.... There will be plenty of other brethren there too.

mrichard
05-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Blazin' Blues will be making the short treck from Fenton, MO. We are very excited about this event because we have heard so many good things about it.

vexter1
05-22-2010, 09:38 AM
H*QUE is supposed to be there - we're planning on it - just got to get equipment back in order after the Elks Lodge RV fiasco...this will be our first time there.

Solidkick
05-22-2010, 09:42 AM
T and I with grandkids in tow will be there cooking. D & J have other plans that weekend, but the Belly Brothers will be there...

stlgreg
05-22-2010, 04:21 PM
i inquired about a entry form and never heard anyting
didnt return my phone message either

Nomanerz
05-23-2010, 11:10 PM
THREE BROTHERS (Different Mothers) will be there!...Looking forward to meeting/seeing all of the Brethren!!!....artie

bbq ron
05-24-2010, 06:16 AM
sounds like a great event, and can you tell me how to get a registration form and exactly where it is being held at.
thx Ron :-P:-P

trueque
05-24-2010, 11:03 AM
i inquired about a entry form and never heard anyting
didnt return my phone message either

Greg,
Only link I am aware of is from KCBS site. I also never received an email replies from my two emails and called twice to a busy line. However, once I got ahold of Jon Oliver on the phone, he was a very nice and accommodating person to talk with. The registration was in my mailbox two days later. I look hope you give the phone another try...

http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?year=&month=&id=2234

trueque
05-24-2010, 11:18 AM
sounds like a great event, and can you tell me how to get a registration form and exactly where it is being held at.
thx Ron :-P:-P

Ron,

I am not familiar with the area, but was told it is being held at Little Dixie Shrine Park which is approximately 2 miles north of Hwy. 54 and Rt. J. Hope that helps.

bbq ron
05-24-2010, 11:53 AM
thanks for the info. got an e-mail from Jon this morning and entry form is on its way.
therefore, Jo Jo's pullin pork should be there :-P:-P

paydabill
05-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Anybody need a dishwasher? I do not think Brian can do this one.

vexter1
05-24-2010, 03:30 PM
I talked to Jon - the official address is 23847 Hwy J Mexico, MO 65265 - I can't tell if maps.google or maps.bing has it right - the arial views looks like something like a park is there - but hard to say.

Sounds like a great contest - H*QUE is looking forward to it!

Munkee's Pit
05-24-2010, 04:58 PM
Anybody need a dishwasher? I do not think Brian can do this one.
We might be able to work something out. Give Jamey a call.

paydabill
05-25-2010, 08:29 AM
We might be able to work something out. Give Jamey a call.

I do not think Jamie wants to mess with your MoJo!!!

Muddy River Boy
05-25-2010, 01:40 PM
In one fashion or another the Muddy River Boys will be there. Not sure if my protege' (son Cole) will make it or not. He broke and tore all of the ligaments in his ankle a week before school got out. Me and pops will be there though.

Cant wait.

Clint
Muddy River Boys

Q-Stream
05-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the information on where the contest will be held. I'm not cooking, but I will be judging.

Laird
CBJ

Fredbird
05-27-2010, 05:55 PM
I'll be teaming up with "Paydabill" for this contest. I look forward to seeing everybody. Come by for a cold brew!:-D

Fredbird
06-07-2010, 08:30 AM
Bump. Who's in?

Solidkick
06-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Bump. Who's in?

more important...where do we go? If the directions were on the entry form, I mailed them back....:redface:

paydabill
06-07-2010, 02:46 PM
more important...where do we go? If the directions were on the entry form, I mailed them back....:redface:

Ok here are your directions - head west on I 70 until you get hit I 35. Travel that aways and oyu will ned up in Mexico. Maybe I will have a chance at winning something. :thumb:

LOL

Solidkick
06-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Ok here are your directions - head west on I 70 until you get hit I 35. Travel that aways and oyu will ned up in Mexico. Maybe I will have a chance at winning something. :thumb:

LOL
Why is it no one has any love for ol' Kick anymore?? Snodgrass said he wouldn't miss us at Hannibal this year either....

smknwhlswife
06-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Why is it no one has any love for ol' Kick anymore?? Snodgrass said he wouldn't miss us at Hannibal this year either....

We love you!! That would put you near us!!!:thumb:

Fredbird
06-09-2010, 08:10 AM

It sounds like somebody needs a reach around! :-P

BTW, the contest is at the Little Dixie Shrine Park which is located about a mile north of Mexico on Route J.

paydabill
06-09-2010, 08:29 AM
It sounds like somebody needs a reach around! :-P

BTW, the contest is at the Little Dixie Shrine Park which is located about a mile north of Mexico on Route J.

Reach Around - man I am not sure if want to cook with you anymore!:rolleyes:

Solidkick
06-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Bringing the 35 cup coffee maker...coffee at Kick's Saturday morning.....(like that is anything new....LOL)

I have to work part of the morning, so it will be noonish before we pull in....save me a good spot close to the electric and portapots!

Solidkick
06-13-2010, 09:24 AM
BTW...if you see me with a piece of duct tape over my mouth :tape:, it means I've had too much Miller Lite....as some will testify, you get a 6 pack in me and I'll tell you everything I do, cookingwise, step by step....the duct tape will signify the wife has caught me talkin' and is sayin "shut the fark up!" :tape::shock:

Looking forward to meeting many new brothers this next weekend!

Fredbird
06-14-2010, 08:53 AM
Bringing the 35 cup coffee maker...coffee at Kick's Saturday morning.....(like that is anything new....LOL)

I have to work part of the morning, so it will be noonish before we pull in....save me a good spot close to the electric and portapots!

I like being close to the coffee. Do you want Bill and I to save you a spot?

I'm looking forward to meeting some new Brethren, come on by for a beer!

mrichard
06-14-2010, 09:02 AM
Does anyone know what time the cooks meeting is taking place? We are looking forward to this event!

Fredbird
06-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Does anyone know what time the cooks meeting is taking place? We are looking forward to this event!

I haven't heard an exact time. Most likely it will be sometime Friday evening. What time will get to the competition? Do you need someone to get your boxes for you?

lazyjacres
06-14-2010, 12:27 PM
[QUOTE=I have to work part of the morning, so it will be noonish before we pull in....save me a good spot close to the electric and portapots![/QUOTE]

I've already worked your spot out with Jon. You're gonna love it..... ;^)

ZouBQue
06-14-2010, 12:38 PM
BTW...if you see me with a piece of duct tape over my mouth :tape:, it means I've had too much Miller Lite....as some will testify, you get a 6 pack in me and I'll tell you everything I do, cookingwise, step by step....the duct tape will signify the wife has caught me talkin' and is sayin "shut the fark up!" :tape::shock:

Looking forward to meeting many new brothers this next weekend!
Hey Gary,

I'll be bringing a case of Miller Light to Mexico. Feel free to come over and drink a six pack or so!!

paydabill
06-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Hey did you set us up next to you guys or am I in the doghouse?

I've already worked your spot out with Jon. You're gonna love it..... ;^)

ZouBQue
06-14-2010, 02:22 PM
H*QUE is supposed to be there - we're planning on it - just got to get equipment back in order after the Elks Lodge RV fiasco...this will be our first time there.
What happened?

vexter1
06-14-2010, 07:18 PM
What happened?

RV threw a rod on the way home - so we've since sold off our big rig and rv and consolidated down to an insulated cooker and a toy hauler - unfortunate, but we're getting along just fine.

We had to bout out of this contest at the last minute. We've been working on a family vacation to Florida for a while and this weekend was the one for everyone but me - so we pulled out - sorry we'll miss ya'll on this one - but we'll enjoy some good seafood and beach time for ya instead - catch everyone on the next go 'round in Glasgow - take care and best of luck to everyone this weekend!

Solidkick
06-16-2010, 12:14 PM
It's not too late to get in this one....call Jon Oliver @ 1-573-581-9001

rweller
06-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Vexter1, tell Jen I'm asking who the heck goes to FLorida in the summer time to vacation :crazy: :razz:. You need to save that for winter. Or you could be like us and go to the Dominican Republic in Feb...:grin::grin::grin:.
Its time to be going to BBQ contest not taking vacations in FLorida. Was looking forward to seeing you guys. Oh well.
When you going to be back? was going to try and get with you next weekend (6/26) after I judge at Eldon.

vexter1
06-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Vexter1, tell Jen I'm asking who the heck goes to FLorida in the summer time to vacation :crazy: :razz:. You need to save that for winter. Or you could be like us and go to the Dominican Republic in Feb...:grin::grin::grin:.
Its time to be going to BBQ contest not taking vacations in FLorida. Was looking forward to seeing you guys. Oh well.
When you going to be back? was going to try and get with you next weekend (6/26) after I judge at Eldon.

Yeah - this was a last minute trip ;) been working on traveling with Mom and Dad for a while..should be fun!

We'll be back on the 23rd - give me a call or email and we'll get together after Eldon - see ya soon!

crichison
06-17-2010, 02:09 PM
I've never meet any of you guys, but I plan to come by Friday evening as a spectator. Look forward to meeting some of the people from here.

paydabill
06-17-2010, 03:30 PM
I've never meet any of you guys, but I plan to come by Friday evening as a spectator. Look forward to meeting some of the people from here.

Come on by our trailer, it will be the white one with two idiots outside checking the magic 8 ball on what to do.

Or we will be the one feeding Kick the beer and keeping Sweet T distracted while we get out all of his recipes.

Solidkick
06-17-2010, 05:57 PM
Come on by our trailer, it will be the white one with two idiots outside checking the magic 8 ball on what to do.

Or we will be the one feeding Kick the beer and keeping Sweet T distracted while we get out all of his recipes.
I resemble that last remark.....:clap2: Though T says she's not easily distracted!

you'll know our trailer...it's the one advertising the Brethren site on the doors....and watch for the Brethren banners....

ZouBQue
06-17-2010, 10:46 PM
Best of luck to all the brethren in Mexico tomorrow. i'll see you there! Just look for the black and gold spicewine and say "hi". Gary... don't forget to stop by for your complimentary six pack of beer I have waiting for ya!! :)

trueque
06-18-2010, 07:16 AM
Getting coolers packed now and heading up shortly with the new toy hauler (new to me anyway). Best of luck to everyone and looking forward to meeting as many new brethren as possible. Please feel free to stop by and say hi as well.

Solidkick
06-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Congrats to Gilley's Barnstorm BBQ on the GC and One 2 BBQ on the RGC!

The Bellys were 6th overall...14th in chicken, 5th in ribs, 5th in pork and 3rd in brisket. The weather was wonderful..(NOT)...I am happy with the brisket placing...I don't know that I've ever experienced the meat drying out that fast after slicing, and the streak of perfect 9's in presentation came to an end (the 4 previous contests). Five 8s and one 9 this time around....one 9 more than I would have given it..LOL....

Speaking of judging...and derailing this thread....you sure can tell the difference between contests that have KC/KS area/central MO judges and ST.L./IL area/central MO judges....overall points difference will be about 20 points different about every time. It seems so strange the difference between one side of the state and the other...makes you wonder if it has something to do with the classes themselves and how they are trained...oh well....just me thinking out loud again....it is what it is....

Congrats to all that walked this weekend! And it was nice meeting new Brethren brothers, hope to see you again soon!

trueque
06-20-2010, 02:37 PM
I had a great time meeting many of you this weekend, but am terrible with names until I get a chance to speak with you a couple of times. I am just hard headed like that it seems.

Had the pleasure of enjoying many firsts this weekend. This was my first KCBS comp, first time out with my 26' Hobbi and first call on brisket (4th). A first for my son Hayden as well since he won his first Kids Q. Yeay for Hayden!

All in all it was a very good weekend out and a great experience. A few of us had to be towed out of the grass/mud to the pavement in order to on our way, but Jon Oliver and company stuck with us and did a great job all weekend!

crichison
06-20-2010, 09:30 PM
It was nice meeting several of you guys Friday evening, hope to make it to a few more of these events this summer.

rweller
06-21-2010, 09:57 AM
Speaking of judging...and derailing this thread....you sure can tell the difference between contests that have KC/KS area/central MO judges and ST.L./IL area/central MO judges....overall points difference will be about 20 points different about every time. It seems so strange the difference between one side of the state and the other...makes you wonder if it has something to do with the classes themselves and how they are trained...oh well....just me thinking out loud again....it is what it is....

Mr Kick. I judged this contest and this is an interesting observation. The reason I say its interesting is because I thought most of the Judges were from the Central part of Mo. I know there were several from the Columbia area. I'm from Illinois and I only seen 4 others that I recognized that I presume are from the St. Louis Area. These were the only judges that I have seen at other contest this year and this was my 6th contest.
Which side of the state judges higher. I presume the KC area.

I'm not sure if it has to do with the way were taught or what. I do know there are a number of variations in the way judges judge. As I have learned from talking to other judges.
There are also differences in the way a REP does contest. I seen the REP this weekend do some things I have never seen before. But I guess, each do it there on way just like judges.

Good luck to you in futures contest.

Solidkick
06-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Mr Kick. I judged this contest and this is an interesting observation. The reason I say its interesting is because I thought most of the Judges were from the Central part of Mo. I know there were several from the Columbia area. I'm from Illinois and I only seen 4 others that I recognized that I presume are from the St. Louis Area. These were the only judges that I have seen at other contest this year and this was my 6th contest.
Which side of the state judges higher. I presume the KC area.

I'm not sure if it has to do with the way were taught or what. I do know there are a number of variations in the way judges judge. As I have learned from talking to other judges.
There are also differences in the way a REP does contest. I seen the REP this weekend do some things I have never seen before. But I guess, each do it there on way just like judges.

Good luck to you in futures contest.

Just going by what I was told by one of the Central MOFO judges....he said he only recognized 5 from the area, which led me to assume the rest was from the east side of the state....interesting....very interesting....
Thanks very much for taking the time to answer!

mrichard
06-21-2010, 02:45 PM
What a great ran event. Blazin' Blues will be next year for sure. Congrats to everyone who got a call or placed

paydabill
06-21-2010, 03:16 PM
Had a great time. I just assumed they were all central Mo judges. You never know, according to the KCBS site it was 100% certified.

Would love to do it again next year.

mrichard
06-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Does anyone know the name of the band that played friday night? They were great!

trueque
06-21-2010, 06:10 PM
OK, got setup with Photobucket to share some photos from this comp. Eventually, I will be posting these from my own website that I am currently updating to add my bbq team website.

2007 26' Hobbi...
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx278/michaeltrue/Brick%20City%20BBQ%20and%20Blues%20June%2018-19%20Mexico%20Mo/IMG_0904.jpg

True Family BBQ setup ...
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx278/michaeltrue/Brick%20City%20BBQ%20and%20Blues%20June%2018-19%20Mexico%20Mo/IMG_0902.jpg

True Family BBQ setup #2 ...
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx278/michaeltrue/Brick%20City%20BBQ%20and%20Blues%20June%2018-19%20Mexico%20Mo/IMG_0901.jpg

WSMs with my CyberQ ...
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx278/michaeltrue/Brick%20City%20BBQ%20and%20Blues%20June%2018-19%20Mexico%20Mo/IMG_0898.jpg

Hayden making presentation boxes while I cooked bacon ...
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx278/michaeltrue/Brick%20City%20BBQ%20and%20Blues%20June%2018-19%20Mexico%20Mo/IMG_0894.jpg

trueque
06-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Here are my turn-in boxes ...

Hayden's Kids Q ...
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx278/michaeltrue/Brick%20City%20BBQ%20and%20Blues%20June%2018-19%20Mexico%20Mo/IMG_2581.jpg

Chicken ...
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx278/michaeltrue/Brick%20City%20BBQ%20and%20Blues%20June%2018-19%20Mexico%20Mo/IMG_2583.jpg

Ribs ...
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx278/michaeltrue/Brick%20City%20BBQ%20and%20Blues%20June%2018-19%20Mexico%20Mo/IMG_2585.jpg

Pork ...
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx278/michaeltrue/Brick%20City%20BBQ%20and%20Blues%20June%2018-19%20Mexico%20Mo/IMG_2589.jpg

Brisket ...
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx278/michaeltrue/Brick%20City%20BBQ%20and%20Blues%20June%2018-19%20Mexico%20Mo/IMG_2590.jpg

mobow
06-22-2010, 07:09 AM
I was one of the judges for the kids Q. Your sons burger was very good. Congrats to him and sorry I did not get down to talk with you friday night. I am interested in getting me a weber cooker and was wanting to ask you some questions. But I got distracted. Maybe next time. keith

bluesdevilleband
07-15-2010, 06:15 AM
Does anyone know the name of the band that played friday night? They were great!

We are called the Blues Deville Band and have been playing at the Brick City BBQ and Blues for three years now.

We are located in Central MO so we can make it just about anywhere in the state to play. We'd love to be invited to play more cook offs. We always have a blast.

Thank you to all of you who came out in Mexico and had a good time.

If you ever need to get hold of us you can obviously now reach me here or on Facebook at "The Blues Deville Band" or at www.bluesdevilleband.net (http://www.bluesdevilleband.net) or email me at info@bluesdevilleband.net

I am very much an amateur with the BBQ but Jon Oliver has been teaching me however, it isn't likely I would ever be brave enough to compete so I'll just stick to playing the guitar :)

Sincerely,

Kyle Caraway
Blues Deville Band Founder

Solidkick
07-22-2010, 10:38 AM
I'll put a plug in for you....these guys are awesome! Being a musician with over 40 years of stage experience, these guys know what they are doing and are a value at any price. I've worked with the bass player years ago, so it was like old home week.