PDA

View Full Version : Changes in product

Buster Dog BBQ
05-18-2010, 08:53 PM
So far three items I use in competition the last couple years has now disappeared from my grocers shelves and been substituted with cheaper price/quality products. Being in a town with a dominant grocer really sucks because they have so much control. While I was able to get one item ordered, that probably won't always be the case. Just hate changing during the year.

Anyone else having similar problems?

musicmanryann
05-18-2010, 09:28 PM
I understand your frustration. I may be able to help. What are you talking about?? ;-)

thenewguy
05-18-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm sure I can get it for you Rod- whatcha need?

Plowboy
05-18-2010, 11:17 PM
I'm sure if you called Kraft Foods directly, they can get you the BBQ sauce you need.

Buster Dog BBQ
05-18-2010, 11:28 PM
Great news Todd. With 412 varieties of KC Masterpiece I knew sweet molasses with honey chipolte's days were numbered. :)

But on a more serious note, my grocer had sold 8 pack's of Smart chicken now they phased out all but a couple varieties and replaced with Gold N Plump. He's still going to be able to get me 4 packs but can't guarantee when he will have it. I can always go to another grocer but the product never seems as fresh. I could also change brands but prefer to do that end of the year. The other products I jumped through a lot of hoops to get special orders.

musicmanryann
05-18-2010, 11:47 PM
I special order my chicken every comp week. I assume you are talking Hy Vee right? There are two here in Ames and one works with me, the other not so much. If your guy there won't work with you, then perhaps try another. It stands to reason though that if the chain carries the brand, they can get it for you.

Buster Dog BBQ
05-18-2010, 11:57 PM
I special order my chicken every comp week. I assume you are talking Hy Vee right? There are two here in Ames and one works with me, the other not so much. If your guy there won't work with you, then perhaps try another. It stands to reason though that if the chain carries the brand, they can get it for you.
Actually it was Dahl's. The Hy-Vee closest to my house isn't real friendly on special orders but I was able to get another one to get a product for me special order. Maybe tomorrow night I can get some more details from you.

Buster Dog BBQ
05-18-2010, 11:59 PM
One of my other products was parsley from Lofredo. I used to get a nice one pound cleaned and washed bag. The last one i bought was a different brand and not so good.

DMDon
05-19-2010, 12:34 AM
I have always used Sams baby backs. this year they have a green label on them. They tell me just the label has changed and its the same ribs. I'm not so sure about that, they just don't seem to have the same firmness when trimming them up.

thenewguy
05-19-2010, 12:59 AM
Rod, which Dahl's are you using?
The one on grand seems to always have the smart chicken-although it's about 40-60 cents per pound more than hy-vee.

gordo
05-19-2010, 06:04 AM
Id just like to find a package of chicken thighs that Didn't have the skin from half the chicken neatly tucked under the thigh...:mad:

Whats the going rate for chicken skin per lb.?

BBQ_Mayor
05-19-2010, 06:40 AM
I have always used Sams baby backs. this year they have a green label on them. They tell me just the label has changed and its the same ribs. I'm not so sure about that, they just don't seem to have the same firmness when trimming them up.

Don, you go ahead and use those ribs. I'm looking elsewhere. Used them 3 times and they just don't cook that same as the ribs Sams used to carry. Fatty and there cut uneven. Hopefully they will change back.

Buster Dog BBQ
05-19-2010, 06:57 AM
The Sams bone in butts have taken me two hours longer to cook on average then normal. Same temps
and sizes.

Mike, Dahls by Waukee

BBQ_Mayor
05-19-2010, 07:34 AM
The Sams bone in butts have taken me two hours longer to cook on average then normal. Same temps
and sizes.

Mike, Dahls by Waukee

Haven't noticed that on the butts but the briskets have been taking longer for sure.

Smokin' Joe
05-19-2010, 07:46 AM
I feel your pain Rod, I have ordered Chicken for contest week from HyVee TWICE....and TWICE it didn't arrive. Maybe the third times a charm??

tonto1117
05-19-2010, 07:49 AM
and sizes.

Mike, Dahls by Waukee

Haven't noticed that on the butts but the briskets have been taking longer for sure.

Just curios... could anyone explain the possible reasons/science behind that?:confused:

BBQ_Mayor
05-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Just curios... could anyone explain the possible reasons/science behind that?:confused:

I'm not one to ask for scientific reasoning. :confused:

tonto1117
05-19-2010, 09:05 AM
I'm not one to ask for scientific reasoning. :confused:

Well, if all the variables remain consistent, i:e, cooker temp, apprx meat weight...ect, just wondering why the meats are taking longer to cook. Could it be things such as fat content/or lack there of for example?

2Fat
05-19-2010, 09:16 AM
One of my other products was parsley from Lofredo. I used to get a nice one pound cleaned and washed bag. The last one i bought was a different brand and not so good.

I'm lucky if the produce guy at Roundys has the half case I order when its time to pick it up Thursdays--and when its not Italian parsley its almost a bonus!

2Fat
05-19-2010, 09:23 AM
[QUOTE

But on a more serious note, my grocer had sold 8 pack's of Smart chicken now they phased out all but a couple varieties and replaced with Gold N Plump. I could also change brands but prefer to do that end of the year. The other products I jumped through a lot of hoops to get special orders.[/QUOTE]

Checked out a new meat place in the area--they can't get briskets but am trying a new chicken brand they carry this weekend--bell and evans--should be similar to the Smart chicken I'm hoping. In fact a guy by the name of Jaime may stop and see you in KC this weekend--he is a meat guy of sorts at this new market

DMDon
05-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Don, you go ahead and use those ribs. I'm looking elsewhere. Used them 3 times and they just don't cook that same as the ribs Sams used to carry. Fatty and there cut uneven. Hopefully they will change back.

Let me know when you find something else. I'll make it worth your time.

DMDon
05-19-2010, 09:45 AM

Let me know when you find something else, I'll make it worth your time.

Divemaster
05-19-2010, 09:49 AM
Id just like to find a package of chicken thighs that Didn't have the skin from half the chicken neatly tucked under the thigh...:mad:

Whats the going rate for chicken skin per lb.?
I like when it has more skin... I hate having to try and strech it around the meat... As for price, last purchase I did was $.99/pound...

Well, if all the variables remain consistent, i:e, cooker temp, apprx meat weight...ect, just wondering why the meats are taking longer to cook. Could it be things such as fat content/or lack there of for example?
Diet may have a bunch to do with it too...

Checked out a new meat place in the area--they can't get briskets but am trying a new chicken brand they carry this weekend--bell and evans--should be similar to the Smart chicken I'm hoping. In fact a guy by the name of Jaime may stop and see you in KC this weekend--he is a meat guy of sorts at this new market
If I recall Bell & Evans is pretty good stuff...

musicmanryann
05-19-2010, 10:05 AM
I feel your pain Rod, I have ordered Chicken for contest week from HyVee TWICE....and TWICE it didn't arrive. Maybe the third times a charm??

WTF??

What's even better is when it does arrive and you get it out and it's one day from its use or freeze by date, or the thighs are so small they look like wings.:mad2: I have literally gone to ten different stores before, and had others go to ten other stores trying to find the best, freshest chicken in central Iowa for a contest. I am pretty crazy about it though.:becky:

KC_Bobby
05-19-2010, 10:20 AM
I made 3 trips to my chicken store last night before finally getting what I trimmed

After work - picked up 35 leg quarters and was going to try trim them for thighs
After mowing lawn, I started and after trimming 4 I realized that the thighs looked like chicken nuggets after removing the backbone and leg
8:00 pm - called store and had meat guy pack up 30 thighs (or I thought)
8:40 pm - opened bag and realized he gave me more leg quarters
8:31 pm - called store and talked to meat guy
8:58 pm - returned leg quarters and picked up 30 thighs

The error in getting the leg quarters instead of thighs on the second trip was just a communication error on both of our parts. So no blame on the store, actually I was very happy with the service the meat guy gave me by happily digging through the inventory to get me liked sliced, fully skin pieces.

Moral to the story - don't plan on using a new cut of meat for competition, try it when you have plenty of time. And, if the meat guy is kind enough to package a phone order, double check the bag before leaving the counter.

RobKC
05-19-2010, 10:22 AM
If I recall Bell & Evans is pretty good stuff...

It's very good quality chicken. :thumb:

monty3777
05-19-2010, 10:25 AM
WTF??

What's even better is when it does arrive and you get it out and it's one day from its use or freeze by date, or the thighs are so small they look like wings.:mad2: I have literally gone to ten different stores before, and had others go to ten other stores trying to find the best, freshest chicken in central Iowa for a contest. I am pretty crazy about it though.:becky:

I think I just figured out why all you guys kick our @$$ at every comp. I just buy whatever Sam's has in stock

Jacked UP BBQ
05-19-2010, 10:39 AM

Just so you know, they are IBP with a new label. I made them pull the box from the back to prove it to me.

musicmanryann
05-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Just so you know, they are IBP with a new label. I made them pull the box from the back to prove it to me.

I was going to say the same thing. Perhaps the problems with it are seasonal? April, and First part of May, I had a difficult time finding good butts--too blocky and small. The past couple of weeks it has been easier.

Divemaster
05-19-2010, 10:47 AM
WTF??

I think I just figured out why all you guys kick our @$$ at every comp. I just buy whatever Sam's has in stock
To be honest, I've been buying our local mega-marts (Jewel) brand and have been in the top 10 for the last 7 comps...

Slamdunkpro
05-19-2010, 10:54 AM

Muscle use generates more connective tissue. The more connective tissue a piece of meat has the longer it takes for the heat of the cooker to convert it into gelatin.

So the older an animal is and the more walking around it does means more connective tissue intertwined in the muscle fibers means longer cooking times.

Hey, you asked

Smokin' Joe
05-19-2010, 11:31 AM
WTF??

Funny you should mention that, I just spent an hour going to three stores to get my chicken for this weekend:redface::becky: nad I still don't like what I got:doh:

Jacked UP BBQ
05-19-2010, 12:02 PM
www.smartchicken.com (http://www.smartchicken.com) you will be happy with the product from what I have heard. That is where I am ordering my chicken from now on. All packages come 1lb, so sizes should be pretty darn close

BBQ_Mayor
05-19-2010, 12:23 PM

Yea, it says IBP on the green package too. When I first saw the green lables, it was laying next to one that had the old lable on it and they looked completly different. Both IBP but I'm guessing from different plants.

musicmanryann
05-19-2010, 12:57 PM
www.smartchicken.com (http://www.smartchicken.com) you will be happy with the product from what I have heard. That is where I am ordering my chicken from now on. All packages come 1lb, so sizes should be pretty darn close

It is great stuff. So you are gonna pay to have it shipped? Let me know what you think when you get it the first time.

Buster Dog BBQ
05-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Smart Chicken was good this week.

I trimmed 44 thighs last night and only tossed one.

2Fat
05-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Smart Chicken was good this week.

I trimmed 44 thighs last night and only tossed one.

And I only ordered 7 thighs for this weeks contest<LOL>

BearCat
05-19-2010, 06:54 PM
I actually changed providers by choice this week, went with whole foods you know organic/ green and everything. I was very happy with thighs they trimed and boned for me 16 of them and I would say 12 are almost exactly the same. ribs need some work and it was more expensive. But I am saving the enviorment. Do I get extra points for that?

Smokesman
05-19-2010, 06:56 PM
We will have to try Smart Chicken. Just checked the smart chicken website and it's not available here in Cincinnati. But is up in Columbus where my partner lives. What makes the Smart Chicken so much better? How much per pound is it?

Buster Dog BBQ
05-19-2010, 07:00 PM
We will have to try Smart Chicken. Just checked the smart chicken website and it's not available here in Cincinnati. But is up in Columbus where my partner lives. What makes the Smart Chicken so much better? How much per pound is it?
It's airchilled, never frozen and antibiotic free. I can get for $1.99 lb.

Last year they did a chitty job trimming and bone was splintered or large joint.

Buster Dog BBQ
05-19-2010, 07:01 PM
And I only ordered 7 thighs for this weeks contest
GAB this week. 2 for 1.

Smokesman
05-19-2010, 07:03 PM
I actually changed providers by choice this week, went with whole foods you know organic/ green and everything. I was very happy with thighs they trimed and boned for me 16 of them and I would say 12 are almost exactly the same. ribs need some work and it was more expensive. But I am saving the enviorment. Do I get extra points for that?

Whatcha pay for them chicks from Whole Paycheck?

thenewguy
05-19-2010, 10:15 PM

Last year they did a chitty job trimming and bone was splintered or large joint.
Never frozen...that's a good one.
I've picked up NUMEROUS frozen packs of smart chicken!

Buster Dog BBQ
05-19-2010, 10:46 PM
Never frozen...that's a good one.
I've picked up NUMEROUS frozen packs of smart chicken!
Never frozen like fresh turkey at Thanksgiving :)

2Fat
05-19-2010, 11:35 PM

bought a case of Smart chicken thighs last year and trimmed them all vac pack and froze them --everyone had a broken thigh bone--I didn't like it but the judges didn't seem to mind.
Bell & Evans is supposed to be similiar--air chilled and all--about $2.50/LB from a small meat market--will try to screw it up on sat morn!

Jorge
05-19-2010, 11:42 PM
Never frozen like fresh turkey at Thanksgiving :)

You have to be using a killer brine on that, what is it? That chicken is so over-hyped! I can't believe you are still using it:-P:becky: