PDA

View Full Version : Help--how to smoke a pork loin

nancdb
06-16-2004, 10:10 PM
:?: I haven't used a smoker in a long time so would appreciate some help. I have a Brinkman Smoke n' grill which is electric. How do I calculate how long to cook meat in the smoker? Is it different for each kind of meat? I want to cook a pork loin in the smoker this weekend for company and need to know how to have the pork ready when we're ready to eat. Also, I'd like a good marinade or rub for the pork. Thanks so much for your help. I'm really looking forward to learning how to smoke lots of things. Nancy

Wayne
06-16-2004, 10:48 PM
Why don't you go to the Brinkman web site and see if they have any recommendations and recipes. The way that I do pork loin (which is kind of dry) is to stab a knife through the thing and stuff it with a smoked sausage. Then stab the thing about every inch with a fork to pierce the skin on the sausage. Rub with your favorite stuff and slather the thing with cheap yellow mustard before cooking. The mustard helps keep the roast juicy and is not noticable after the roast is cooked. Then I put the thing in the smoker for about 5 hours, till the internal temp is about 160 to 180 and the meat is still moist. The juices in the sausage bast the loin from the inside out and make the dry old loin really juicy and tender. It also looks great when you slice it and have a circle of sausage in the center of the loin slice. I have yet to have any left over.

BigAl
06-16-2004, 10:49 PM
Chicago Bill, where are you?.....
Bill does a lot of pork loin.

Use the search feature above. search on 'pork AND loin'....author 'willkat98'. Select Forum = Q-talk. You will get a lot of good tips.
Welcome.

BBQchef33
06-17-2004, 12:46 AM
rule of thumb is about 45minutes to an hr per lb for a slicing loin.

Put on your favorite rub. If your going to slice it, and smoke till internal temps are about 145-150, then foil it and bring it to 165. Remove an let rest. Temps will climb to the 170s. If your concerned about temps, you can go as high as 170-175 before letting it rest, but I find that 165 works best and gives me a roast a little beyond medium with so much juice in the foil that i never need to make additional gravy.

another method if your adventerous, using a long bonin knives, but an X slit in the end going down as far as you can into the middle. Do this on bothe ends trying to meet in the moiddle, then stuff something down into the X. i like eiter itlaian or polish sausage. A zuccini works well also. juices render inside form the stuffing and roast comes out even more moist.

gary
06-17-2004, 05:49 AM
:?: I haven't used a smoker in a long time so would appreciate some help. I have a Brinkman Smoke n' grill which is electric. How do I calculate how long to cook meat in the smoker? Is it different for each kind of meat? I want to cook a pork loin in the smoker this weekend for company and need to know how to have the pork ready when we're ready to eat. Also, I'd like a good marinade or rub for the pork. Thanks so much for your help. I'm really looking forward to learning how to smoke lots of things. Nancy

Go to the recipe link under all things pork and use
Bills(TK Method) Pork loin
Bill did this at B2 and it was by far the best pork loin I have ever tasted.
Just my .02
:)

kcquer
06-17-2004, 06:33 AM
As Wayne points out a pork loin is very lean by Q standards and therefore easy to dry out. Any of the above methods will prevent this, and properly done pork loin is one of my favorites.
As for timing for company start plenty early, it's better and easier to hold meat that's done than it is to rush it if it's not done. Put the wrapped loin in a small insulated cooler (as a small warming oven) and it will stay quite warm for a long time. Good luck and welcome.

parrothead
06-17-2004, 08:22 AM

He has a date with Mickey and Minnie this week.

tommykendall
06-17-2004, 10:08 AM
Bill doesn't do pork loins. Check with Dingleberry.

willkat98
06-18-2004, 03:24 PM
Bill does a lot of pork loin.

Use the search feature above. search on 'pork AND loin'....author 'willkat98'. Select Forum = Q-talk. You will get a lot of good tips.
Welcome.

Recipe Section uinder Pork

Bill's (TK MEthod) pork loin.

Its all about temperature, especially in the Smoke n Grill. That was my first unit, and it churns out an awesome loin, BUT too high a temp and you got leather.

Electric should help stablize temps.

Hope I'm not too late

nancdb
06-18-2004, 08:51 PM
I just want to thank all of you for your advice! I'm looking forward to trying your suggestions. I've been ill and now am on the road to recovery so am really looking forward to trying new things. Nancy

BigAl
06-18-2004, 08:56 PM
Welcome, Nancy!

Please go over to the Cattle Call and introduce your self.

Glad you are on the road to recovery!

racer_81
06-19-2004, 10:16 AM

Welcome Nancy.

I've smoked one pork loin - and it turned out moist. Here's what I did.

Make a paste of prepared yellow mustard and a little beer or water. Paint the loin with this paste. (Most of the mustard taste goes away in the smoking process)

Sprinkle the pasted loin with your favorite rub.

Using about a 1lb of bacon (maybe more) and toothpicks, wrap the pasted, rubbed loin in bacon strips.

Then smoke the wrapped loin at 200-225 until an internal temp of about 175 (I always error on the high side for pork temps).

The combination of the mustard and the bacon will keep the loin from drying out. Plus, the bacon is a nice extra tasty treat.