View Full Version : Drug Bust at Memphis in May

Sledneck
05-18-2010, 07:41 AM
Tent Busted with Drugs at BBQ Fest
Updated: Monday, 17 May 2010, 8:32 PM CDT
Published : Monday, 17 May 2010, 8:32 PM CDT

Lauren
Lee
Memphis, Tn - There was a major drug bust at Tom Lee Park this weekend.

Three members of Shotwell Smoker's were arrested after deputies found several back packs filled with drugs at Barbecue Fest. Investigators say the team is believed to be selling drugs out of their tent.

Barbecue Fest is known for its party almost as its known for its pork, and Memphis in May encourages the celebration.

"We don't do this just for the seriousness of the competition, we do it for the celebrating of Memphis," says Diane Hampton, President of Memphis in May. "So we expect people to have a good time. We also expect them to play by the rules."

But one team broke the rules this weekend.

Roy Hanes, Michael Happ, and James Innocenti were arrested on possession and distribution charges. Happ was also charged with possession of a fire arm while committing a felony. He had a loaded glock in the tent.

"One of the deputies walked in, smelled marijuana, asked permission to see of they could go inside the booth," says Steve Shular, spokesperson for the Shelby County Sheriff's Office. "They did and that's what led them to the discovery."

Deputies found nearly 100 prescription pills, including Xanax, hydrocodone, morphine, oxycodone and other varieties. They found about 2 ounces of marijuana, a small amount of cocaine, drug paraphernalia, and nearly $6,000 in cash.

"Based on the large variety of drugs and the fact there was a large amount of cash that was also found on the person and a couple hundred found on another, the charges support there could have been some dealing and distributing going on there," says Shular.

Memphis in May officials and volunteers who worked directly with the team tell Fox13 no one had any idea what was going on at booth S-200.

"It's totally unacceptable, it's against our rules, team rules, it's against the rules for the public," says Hampton. "So obviously we're very disappointed the team would choose to behave this way."

Memphis in May plans to send a message that this behavior is not and will not be tolerated.

"This team had been very involved for several years in the competition," says Hampton. "And we really had not had any problems with them. Its safe to say this will be the last year they compete."

All three men bonded out of jail on bonds ranging from $30,000 to $50,000.

No other arrests were made during Barbecue Fest this weekend.

timzcardz
05-18-2010, 07:48 AM
I guess that some competitor's secret ingredients are secret for a reason.

blues_n_cues
05-18-2010, 07:52 AM
some people......:rolleyes:

Alexa RnQ
05-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Really, with the emphasis on "partying" at events, is anyone surprised?

Capn Kev
05-18-2010, 08:19 AM
A little snort here, a little snort there, and who needs a BBQ Guru...you're able to stay up all night minding those pit temps!! :laugh::becky::laugh::becky:

Jacked UP BBQ
05-18-2010, 08:28 AM
That is funny chit

Slamdunkpro
05-18-2010, 08:32 AM
But it was just garnish!:becky:

Muzzlebrake
05-18-2010, 08:54 AM
sounds like a party, thats a bunch of hillbilly heroin!:shock:

dumbasses! everyone knows thats why you have the hookers there, the cops always bust them first....duh:becky:

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
05-18-2010, 09:07 AM
talk about secret ingredients that keep the judges wanting more...

BogsBBQ
05-18-2010, 09:18 AM
I guess maybe I'm a prude, but I don't find this at all funny. The last thing I want to worry about is some crazed lunatic hillbilly who is hopped up on coke and carrying a gun. A lot of people bring their families, including young children and impressionable teens, to competitions. I like a good party just as much as anyone else, but this type of behavior is a safety threat to the public and the other teams.

Extreme
05-18-2010, 09:20 AM
could have been their dish to pass at the POT LUCK:shock:

pahutchens
05-18-2010, 09:23 AM
I guess maybe I'm a prude, but I don't find this at all funny. The last thing I want to worry about is some crazed lunatic hillbilly who is hopped up on coke and carrying a gun. A lot of people bring their families, including young children and impressionable teens, to competitions. I like a good party just as much as anyone else, but this type of behavior is a safety threat to the public and the other teams.

I think its safe to say it doesn't have to be a hillbilly...

drewc
05-18-2010, 09:30 AM

I agree with you, I don't find it funny either. It just puts a tarnish on the competition. Someone had to be buying the stuff. I am not saying other teams were, but it will be something people will not forget about. It ruins the good that we do in BBQ for other things and causes.

Sledneck
05-18-2010, 09:49 AM
Well then i guess you havent cooked sayville:-D

swamprb
05-18-2010, 09:55 AM
They must have been under the influence, or practicing for Hempfest?

http://hempfest.org/drupal/node

There are no BBQ vendors-they should be a shoo-in with their rap sheet!

deguerre
05-18-2010, 10:14 AM
The weapon in connection with everything else did make this a very serious issue for me.

Muzzlebrake
05-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Please don't think that me laughing at them or making a joke at their expense means I think that what they were doing is smart. I've never been to MIM but from what I know of its reputation it has that "Big Party" label plus some very intense big time comp BBQ, so I'm not really all that surprised there were guys like these there.

I don't want to have to worry about a crazed lunatic on with a gun either, no matter if he's been doing rails of coke or 6 packs of Shiner and when the cops tazer his dumbass and make that moron do the perp walk out of the comp, believe me I'm going to be the dude laughing at him.

SirPorkaLot
05-18-2010, 11:08 AM
Tent Busted with Drugs at BBQ Fest
Updated: Monday, 17 May 2010, 8:32 PM CDT
Published : Monday, 17 May 2010, 8:32 PM CDT

Lauren
Lee
Memphis, Tn - There was a major drug bust at Tom Lee Park this weekend.

Three members of Shotwell Smoker's were arrested after deputies found several back packs filled with drugs at Barbecue Fest. Investigators say the team is believed to be selling drugs out of their tent.

Barbecue Fest is known for its party almost as its known for its pork, and Memphis in May encourages the celebration.

"We don't do this just for the seriousness of the competition, we do it for the celebrating of Memphis," says Diane Hampton, President of Memphis in May. "So we expect people to have a good time. We also expect them to play by the rules."

But one team broke the rules this weekend.

Roy Hanes, Michael Happ, and James Innocenti were arrested on possession and distribution charges. Happ was also charged with possession of a fire arm while committing a felony. He had a loaded glock in the tent.

"One of the deputies walked in, smelled marijuana, asked permission to see of they could go inside the booth," says Steve Shular, spokesperson for the Shelby County Sheriff's Office. "They did and that's what led them to the discovery."

Deputies found nearly 100 prescription pills, including Xanax, hydrocodone, morphine, oxycodone and other varieties. They found about 2 ounces of marijuana, a small amount of cocaine, drug paraphernalia, and nearly $6,000 in cash.

"Based on the large variety of drugs and the fact there was a large amount of cash that was also found on the person and a couple hundred found on another, the charges support there could have been some dealing and distributing going on there," says Shular.

Memphis in May officials and volunteers who worked directly with the team tell Fox13 no one had any idea what was going on at booth S-200.

"It's totally unacceptable, it's against our rules, team rules, it's against the rules for the public," says Hampton. "So obviously we're very disappointed the team would choose to behave this way."

Memphis in May plans to send a message that this behavior is not and will not be tolerated.

"This team had been very involved for several years in the competition," says Hampton. "And we really had not had any problems with them. Its safe to say this will be the last year they compete."

All three men bonded out of jail on bonds ranging from $30,000 to $50,000.

No other arrests were made during Barbecue Fest this weekend.

This was more than just a team partying at an event.
With that much pills they would have been comatose had it been for personal use. :shock:

The loaded Glock in the tent is a bit much combined with all the pills too :tsk:

DawgPhan
05-18-2010, 11:12 AM
this thread is full of lightweight custies and squares...100 pills and 2ozs isnt a huge amount...certainly not 2 backpacks full. There were probably dozens of loaded handguns @ MIM this year.

SirPorkaLot
05-18-2010, 11:18 AM
this thread is full of lightweight custies and squares...100 pills and 2ozs isnt a huge amount...certainly not 2 backpacks full. There were probably dozens of loaded handguns @ MIM this year.

I agree with the loaded handgun statement, but not in connection with all the pills.

I am not sure I can hang partying with you though, if you think 100 pills ""including Xanax, hydrocodone, morphine, oxycodone" isn't a huge amount for "personal use"

Alexa RnQ
05-18-2010, 11:21 AM
this thread is full of lightweight custies and squares...100 pills and 2ozs isnt a huge amount...
Gee, if "square" is synonymous with "legal", count me in!

Sorry, but I'm troubled by the fact that another poster here unknowingly had his small daughters eleven spaces away from a drug dealer, because even if his "custies" were "lightweights", dealing is still dealing.

The prevalent attitude that BBQ contests are a loose party venue is exactly what attracts that sort of activity. And no, it's not just MIM and the "megazone" contests -- I'm sure you've all seen a thing or two at local events.

No, contests are not church picnics, and I wouldn't want to be held to that standard either. But when we repeatedly turn a blind eye to chitfaced drunks, when contests are promoted as party venues, we can't expect that arrests won't be more common at contests either.

Lake Dogs
05-18-2010, 11:26 AM
^^^^^^ my $0.02 what she said

DawgPhan
05-18-2010, 11:31 AM

Sorry, but I'm troubled by the fact that another poster here unknowingly had his small daughters eleven spaces away from a drug dealer, because even if his "custies" were "lightweights", dealing is still dealing.

The prevalent attitude that BBQ contests are a loose party venue is exactly what attracts that sort of activity. And no, it's not just MIM and the "megazone" contests -- I'm sure you've all seen a thing or two at local events.

No, contests are not church picnics, and I wouldn't want to be held to that standard either. But when we repeatedly turn a blind eye to chitfaced drunks, when contests are promoted as party venues, we can't expect that arrests won't be more common at contests either.

Would you have felt better if that team had trucked in 3 cases of patron and 15 kegs of budweiser for the weekend?

The point is that no one wants to be next to the team that can't handle their party favors regardless of the variety. We have all been next to the team of firemen who are totally wasted and singing the entire GnR catalog @ 2am.

I just dont think that this gives BBQ the black eye that some want to toss out. I am sure that there were lots of guns, drugs, booze, and probably even sex during the week long party that happens in memphis.

DawgPhan
05-18-2010, 11:33 AM
I agree with the loaded handgun statement, but not in connection with all the pills.

I am not sure I can hang partying with you though, if you think 100 pills ""including Xanax, hydrocodone, morphine, oxycodone" isn't a huge amount for "personal use"

I wouldnt touch any of that stuff...I dont even like taking advil, but I know that people with pill habits can easily eat a dozen or more pills in a day.

Jacked UP BBQ
05-18-2010, 11:33 AM
The weapon in connection with everything else did make this a very serious issue for me.

No worse than all the teams at all comps that have guns on them drinking all night. It happens at every comp, these guys just got caught.:drama:

Alexa RnQ
05-18-2010, 11:35 AM
Would you have felt better if that team had trucked in 3 cases of patron and 15 kegs of budweiser for the weekend?
Not much. There is just no need for that, period.

The point is that no one wants to be next to the team that can't handle their party favors regardless of the variety.
Particularly if they're of the illegal variety.

I just dont think that this gives BBQ the black eye that some want to toss out. I am sure that there were lots of guns, drugs, booze, and probably even sex during the week long party that happens in memphis.
BBQ has already got that black eye, this isn't new. And just because stuff is going on, doesn't make it okay. We as competitors certainly need to ensure that our corner of the yard isn't bringing down the po-po, because as you point out, they've got plenty to work on.

billm
05-18-2010, 11:39 AM
understand your concern but is a guy bombed on booze carrying a gun any safer?. Seems a bit hypocritical..Id rather take my chances with the guy smoking pot personally
in the end none of it has to do with cooking bbq..dont know why they bother going to cookoff

Lake Dogs
05-18-2010, 11:39 AM

The point is that no one wants to be next to the team that can't handle their party favors regardless of the variety. We have all been next to the team of firemen who are totally wasted and singing the entire GnR catalog @ 2am.

This is taking this thread down another path, but....

You've equated a bunch of too-drunk firemen to drug dealers?

Same / Same ?

I dont think so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Muzzlebrake
05-18-2010, 11:42 AM
its not just guns, I don't want to be next to the team that gets together and comes out once a year and gets wasted on umbrella drinks tripping over the firepit or knocking over a lit grill either. Just cause its legal don't mean its all good. There are morons everywhere.

deguerre
05-18-2010, 11:47 AM
No worse than all the teams at all comps that have guns on them drinking all night. It happens at every comp, these guys just got caught.:drama:
Point well taken, but my thinking is that firearms mixed with mind altering substances - legal or not - especially ones that lower impulse control, are a bad combination. I can understand the self defense issue, particularly in Memphis, but...

Alexa RnQ
05-18-2010, 11:53 AM
I can understand the self defense issue, particularly in Memphis, but...
I can understand it too. And I think it's a shame that there are any contests where self-defense is a valid concern.

Lake Dogs
05-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Point well taken, but my thinking is that firearms mixed with mind altering substances - legal or not - especially ones that lower impulse control, are a bad combination. I can understand the self defense issue, particularly in Memphis, but...

<-- was a card carrying member of the NRA and still supporter of the
right to bare arms [own many guns myself; proudly]

However, I truly believe that there are certain places where guns, even
carried legally, just aren't appropriate. IMHO, a BBQ contest is one of
those places. If we, as competitors, need defending and weaponry, I'm
sure there are enough large and very sharp knives floating around. That,
and hot fire pokers, etc. No real need for nice handgun... IMHO.

Then, add it in the possession of a drug dealer? HELL NO.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the rookie teams getting drunk
and falling all over themselves and our WSM's, etc. Different topic
altogether. Plus, I doubt there were very many of those teams that
qualified to enter MIM.

blues_n_cues
05-18-2010, 12:03 PM
while memphis is not the nicest town in the world it only takes a couple of bad apples to draw an unkind light.
that being said,any kind of mood altering/enhancing substance in combination w/ any kind of weapon is a recipe for less than fortunate events.
forget about the gun-we're all packing serious knife collections.
just something to think about.

BoneDaddy's
05-18-2010, 12:20 PM
I would say that given those were the only arrests in a week long mardi-gras like party, the bbq world did a great job! No, BBQ does not have a black eye and yes, drug dealing goes down all over the place. 3 bad apples out of the thousand folks cooking!

deguerre
05-18-2010, 12:26 PM
while memphis is not the nicest town in the world it only takes a couple of bad apples to draw an unkind light.
that being said,any kind of mood altering/enhancing substance in combination w/ any kind of weapon is a recipe for less than fortunate events.
forget about the gun-we're all packing serious knife collections.
just something to think about.
Thank God knives don't have an effective range of, oh, say 50 meters.:-D

Big George's BBQ
05-18-2010, 01:35 PM
talk about secret ingredients that keep the judges wanting more...
Make the Judges hungry and want to eat more

MattG
05-18-2010, 03:02 PM

Amen Sister

BBQPETE
05-18-2010, 03:17 PM
Why bring Hillbillies in to this

Jacked UP BBQ
05-18-2010, 03:28 PM
These guys were not drug dealers, they were guys with money and drugs just looking to party. I am sure there was going to be more than three people there at some point through the weekend. A couple ounces of weed, a hundred pills, and 6k is not really that much considering how long they would be there. I do not do drugs but know a lot of junkies in my area and that is nothing for a good weekend.

SmokeInDaEye
05-18-2010, 03:40 PM
It's a shame. I saw a guy entering the park with a team tee and wristbands on who was wacked out beyond belief. Should have noted the team.

The in park police and SWAT presence was definitely much heavier this year versus my last trip in 2007 and I can only imagine this incident will lead to random site searches, etc.

Smokin Turkey
05-18-2010, 06:59 PM
This sounds pretty serious to me. I can believe it happened but I'm disappointed that it did. I don't at all have a problem that there was a loaded handgun if the person had a valid CCW and was not intoxicated as I am a big supporter of responsible CCW. I do have problems with the pills and coke and stuff. I just wish we could legalize the weed and everyone get over it but that's another thread.

IMHO the people who don't smoke MJ only don't do it because it is illegal and for no other reason.

Now after all that is out - I don't think this will tarnish the image of competitions. I do think it gives organizers something else to worry about in the event security column and possibly even liability insurance. I'm also sure even though it is common sense, I'm sure you will start seeing "no drugs" and "no firearms" in the rules section of the comp organization forms.

NateOwsley
05-19-2010, 01:36 AM
I don't want my team to be next to the drug dealer or the drunk to be honest with you. If it's an event where families are coming and checking things out have a little decency and self control. I don't mind a few drinks and brews, but if you're chitfaced or bringing loaded weapons and drugs you should be asked to leave. imho.

tmcmaster
05-19-2010, 02:20 AM
Anyone else see the glaring irony in that?

tmcmaster
05-19-2010, 02:35 AM

Could not agree more!!!:clap2:

The Pigman
05-19-2010, 05:38 AM
They heard we smoke fatties.................

Smokin Turkey
05-19-2010, 06:03 AM
They heard we smoke fatties.................

That's just wrong. Lol!

Sledneck
05-19-2010, 07:15 AM
I am sure nothing like this happens at the royal friday night.........

Jorge
05-19-2010, 08:16 AM
These guys were not drug dealers, they were guys with money and drugs just looking to party. I am sure there was going to be more than three people there at some point through the weekend. A couple ounces of weed, a hundred pills, and 6k is not really that much considering how long they would be there. I do not do drugs but know a lot of junkies in my area and that is nothing for a good weekend.

I bet the assistant DA that prosecutes will make a different case.:becky::laugh: Drugs, large amount of cash, pistol.

DawgPhan
05-19-2010, 08:24 AM
I bet the assistant DA that prosecutes will make a different case.:becky::laugh: Drugs, large amount of cash, pistol.

Yeah but there are crappy assistant DAs making crappy cases all over the country...If they dont have evidence of sales besides cash then that seems like a fairly weak case. They didnt mention any evidence of distribution like baggies, scales, things broken down in the units...no one saw them doing hand to hands. just guys with drugs and money..

Jacked UP BBQ
05-19-2010, 08:31 AM
I believe in my area over a certain weight they can charge with intent to distribute, I think it is 50 grams. Two ounces in 56 so they are screwed!

Jorge
05-19-2010, 08:35 AM
Yeah but there are crappy assistant DAs making crappy cases all over the country...If they dont have evidence of sales besides cash then that seems like a fairly weak case. They didnt mention any evidence of distribution like baggies, scales, things broken down in the units...no one saw them doing hand to hands. just guys with drugs and money..

It will probably be a plea deal anyway. All good points though. Based on one short story, I don't have enough info to know what evidence was collected/obtained.

Muzzlebrake
05-19-2010, 12:43 PM
6k and over 100 painkillers is a lot. 2 ounces unless its packaged for sale in smaller bags and "a small amount of cocaine" is probably not that big a deal to cops. Over 100 assorted forms of pain killers with a side of Xanax? We just had a big expose in a local paper about Oxy's which apparently people are now smoking like crack or meth. $60 a pill street value! You do that math...... Those dudes were slinging hillbilly heroin and got busted!

Lets also remember that MIM is far from being a normal contest. They pride themselves in being in the same league as St Paddy's in Savanna and Mardi Gras. I'm sure there are some very adult things happening especially after dark

Boshizzle
05-19-2010, 07:22 PM
That reminds me of the show "Futurama" when the the robot "Bender" learned a secet ingredient of a great chef. Everyone loved his food. It turned out that the secret ingredient was LSD.

What are some people thinking, or not thinking, now days?

DakotaBBQ
05-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Funny how people act like they think that those were the only illegal substances there. Get that many people together and you can't act surprised when someone finds something. I'm sure that was just a tip of the iceberg. They just got caught.
I have only been to one comp. and sure enough, in the middle of the night, the cocky, obnoxious drunk found our spot. If you are gonna drink, do drugs or whatever, I don't give a rats pajamas, it's your body and your life, but stay in your own damn spot and keep it to yourself! If I wanted to be bothered by some dumb, smart ass drunk that can't hold his wine then I wouldn't have gone to a BBQ comp.