PDA

View Full Version : Rookie question on competition??

Jeff Selle
05-11-2010, 08:37 PM
I need some help... I am cooking at an amatuer rib cook-off this weekend and we have two turn-in's ... spares and baby backs. I wonder if I should use two different flavor profiles or just stick with one for both types of ribs? I am sure there are several theories, but I have yet to read anything about this... I am wondering if there is a common practice at these type of events...

big blue bbq
05-11-2010, 08:38 PM
I generally use the same rub no matter what type of ribs I am cooking. Never done a rib only contest where you have to do two, but if it is good to your liking, do it again. The next time you will know if you should have done something different.

Jeff Selle
05-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Yep, I supose you are right big blue bbq... I just want to be prepared for the judges... But I suppose I will learn more at the cooks meeting. I guess I can just prepare to cook two profiles -- just in case.

Ford
05-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Do you think you have a good flavor profile? Yes then stick with it. No then I think you're screwed. I don't know a single competition cook that doesn't go into a contest thinking they have it right. It may not win but I'm confident every time.

So agian - are you confident in your flavor profile?

JD McGee
05-11-2010, 09:47 PM
I would use the same smoke, rub, and sauce on both. :thumb: The only difference will be the texture so be sure to mind your times and temps...good luck Jeff!

CajunSmoker
05-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Ford said it! Turn in what you think is your best product.

Jeff Selle
05-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks everyone, just checking. I am confident with a couple of my profiles... I just didn't know if there was protocol I was missing. @ JD thanks for the tips. I'll let you know how it goes...