PDA

View Full Version : The KCBS Secret

musicmanryann
05-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Just saw on Facebook what looks to be the secret "Big News" that everyone has been talking about for the past week or so. Looks like KCBS has partnered with SAM's Club. According to Mike McCloud from MMA and Kelly Cain from KCBS,

"Sam's will be the official supplier of KCBS, with lots of other great things planned, including: a club competition series...A Team of the Year Prize purse...sponsorship of major BBQ events throughout the US...member discounts and more!" (paraphrase)

This is pretty cool. Considering how much cash I have given to Sam's since I starting BBQ'ing, it is nice to see them giving some of it back. :-D

musicmanryann
05-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Looks like there are more details to follow on the KCBS website...

Tweedle
05-11-2010, 09:44 AM
YES I have one of those near me! (well 60 miles but that's close here lol)

lcbateman3
05-11-2010, 09:47 AM
N/m found it.

bigabyte
05-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Very cool!:cool:

Ron_L
05-11-2010, 09:50 AM
I would be excited if I could buy decent meat at Sam's :( No packers, ribs in three packs with typically only one usable rack per pack, lousy chicken.

Oh well...

BBQ_Mayor
05-11-2010, 09:54 AM
That'd be awesome. Now if they would stock enough for us, that would be even better.

Divemaster
05-11-2010, 09:55 AM
I would be excited if I could buy decent meat at Sam's :( No packers, ribs in three packs with typically only one usable rack per pack, lousy chicken.

Oh well...
I agree... I stopped buying at Sams couple of years ago for those very reasons....

I do like the thought that they may be sponsoring some/more events.

Scottie
05-11-2010, 10:01 AM
I just find it funny that it is not announced by KCBS.. Instead, it is on 2 personal Facebook pages and not even on the KCBS website. I mean, unless McCloud and Kelly can speak for KCBS. But then again, I would of thought a deal like this would of had to of been approved byt hte Board before MMA. Then again, I am starting to get that feeling that MMA and Cates are teaming up. As the SOTW series are now going for full KCBS sanctioning...

I welcome Sam's. I am sure it will be better than the Restaurant Depot deal...

EatonHoggBBQ
05-11-2010, 10:01 AM

Oh well...

^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said.

Buster Dog BBQ
05-11-2010, 10:03 AM
That'd be awesome. Now if they would stock enough for us, that would be even better.
Can they order case quantity for you? THere are enough of you going to the one in Ames you think for the summer they could stock up if you asked.

Finney
05-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Sam's Clubs will start carrying "PRIME" beef soon. (this info from the "new face of BBQ" for Sam's Club... I can't tell you who that is until it is annouced officially)

I know you could find it in some stores, some times... when a supplier had to ship Prime to fill a order for a lesser grade. But now they will stock it.

Buster Dog BBQ
05-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Sam's Clubs will start carrying "PRIME" beef soon. (this info from the "new face of BBQ" for Sam's Club... I can't tell you who that is until it is annouced officially)

I know you could find it in some stores, some times... when a supplier had to ship Prime to fill a order for a lesser grade. But now they will stock it.
Prime what? Steaks? Our Costco now carries prime grade ribeye, sirloin and prime rib roast but nothing else. They also dont carry bone in butts or full packers and rarely spare ribs. Luckily our Sam's does sell those.

KC_Bobby
05-11-2010, 10:13 AM
I just find it funny that it is not announced by KCBS.. Instead, it is on 2 personal Facebook pages and not even on the KCBS website. I mean, unless McCloud and Kelly can speak for KCBS. But then again, I would of thought a deal like this would of had to of been approved byt hte Board before MMA. Then again, I am starting to get that feeling that MMA and Cates are teaming up. As the SOTW series are now going for full KCBS sanctioning...

I welcome Sam's. I am sure it will be better than the Restaurant Depot deal...

I agree that it should have been announced on the KCBS site first - so they could link their facebook posts back to the site to create traffic to go there.

That said, I think facebook is a great way to get the word out. Over 3,300 people could possibly see that message instantaneously. We can't dismiss how fast social media gets the word out as it pushes the news rather than makes users come and find it.

Finney
05-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Prime what? Steaks? Our Costco now carries prime grade ribeye, sirloin and prime rib roast but nothing else. They also dont carry bone in butts or full packers and rarely spare ribs. Luckily our Sam's does sell those.

It is my understanding that they will have Prime Briskets as well as all the steak type products.

Divemaster
05-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Can they order case quantity for you? THere are enough of you going to the one in Ames you think for the summer they could stock up if you asked.
From what I've seen, you could always get 'case prices' but you had to buy the case sight unseen... Yes, you'll get the weight at a lower price but you don't get to select the meat.

I've had no problems with Rest. Depot since they go by 'Case Weight' and not simply the weight of a case. In other words, you could select 6 briskets from the shelf and as long as their combined weight is greater than the 'case weight' you get the lower price. Now on the other hand, I understand that there aren't as many Depots as there are Sam's Clubs and that I'm lucky that I have both some what close to me, but I'll stick with Depot.

Arlin_MacRae
05-11-2010, 10:51 AM
:pop2:

Rich Parker
05-11-2010, 11:49 AM

Oh well...

Sounds like you visit my Sam's Club.

mgwerks
05-11-2010, 12:16 PM
From what I've seen, you could always get 'case prices' but you had to buy the case sight unseen... Yes, you'll get the weight at a lower price but you don't get to select the meat.

I've had no problems with Rest. Depot since they go by 'Case Weight' and not simply the weight of a case. In other words, you could select 6 briskets from the shelf and as long as their combined weight is greater than the 'case weight' you get the lower price. Now on the other hand, I understand that there aren't as many Depots as there are Sam's Clubs and that I'm lucky that I have both some what close to me, but I'll stick with Depot.
I'm with you. It's better than anhour to RD from my house, but i have found their staff and selection far above par, whether in meats or general merchandise. Always helpful people. As long as I can had-select my product, I'll make the drive.

PimpSmoke
05-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Last time I went to Sams I bought two cases of butts (all they had at the time) and they were mostly pretty crappy.

They wouldn't let me open the boxes to look at them, not that it would have mattered because they only had three or four more in the case anyway. Price was good though, I'll say that much.

Smokin' Joe
05-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Sounds like another positive step for the growth of KCBS and BBQ....I can't see how that's bad; reguardless of where you buy your product or how it was announced.

Good job outta KCBS/MMA IMHO.

Oh, and a couple other things (all my opinion)-
no way the board didn't know about this...

the release wierdness is called marketing (its what we pay MMA to do), look at the buzz it generated for several days, the splash will be bigger as a result once it is officially posted (our government, the NFL, NASCAR, and others do it all the time...its called warming up the system)...

ThomEmery
05-11-2010, 03:14 PM
I agree that it should have been announced on the KCBS site first - so they could link their facebook posts back to the site to create traffic to go there.

That said, I think facebook is a great way to get the word out. Over 3,300 people could possibly see that message instantaneously. We can't dismiss how fast social media gets the word out as it pushes the news rather than makes users come and find it.

BBQ on FB is expanding greatly
It is superior to some forums

KC_Bobby
05-11-2010, 04:35 PM
agree

However us members know little about the partnership. Having the social media posts link to a press release on the KCBS website for us to read would answer a lot of questions.

Like Smoker Joe says above - I think this is great and I'm not bagging it a bit. I do know I wish I knew more about it though.

ThomEmery
05-11-2010, 04:57 PM
There apparently will be a more formal announcement Wed

Boshizzle
05-11-2010, 05:46 PM
You will also be seeing some bigger prize money at comps too. It seems that BBQ Pitmasters has lured in a lot of big money sponsors. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new Ford Pickup offered to a GC soon.

chibi
05-11-2010, 07:49 PM
its pretty sad I work at Sams and this is how I found out.
But should be a good thing for both KCBS and Sams

JD McGee
05-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Too bad they didn't partner with Restaurant Depot...that would have been a killer combo! :cool: Kudos to KCBS! :thumb:

ThomEmery
05-11-2010, 09:35 PM
$30,000 in added money for ToY
That works

grossepellets
05-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Maybe the new prizes will be a briquette machine or a new Lump charcoal maker! Or even your own kiln to make your own BGE's! or maybe not as thats just me thinking again without my foil cap on

Rookie'48
05-11-2010, 10:19 PM
There apparently will be a more formal announcement Wed

Most likely right after the BoD meeting.

Jeff_in_KC
05-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Cool! I hope I can get cheap steam pans, aluminum foil, nitrile gloves, cases of water and EZ Ups. Meat? LOL! Doubt Sam's is ever gonna carry Wagyu! :thumb:

Timmy
05-12-2010, 12:31 AM
So I wonder if I will be able to cancel my paid membership to Sams and get it free through KCBS.
I'm not holding my breath. :rolleyes:

tmcmaster
05-12-2010, 12:58 AM
I get some pretty decent stuff from my local Sam's. And the case prices are always very good. I call, and 2 days later, pick it up. I am looking forward to this.:thumb:

Divemaster
05-12-2010, 12:53 PM
So I wonder if I will be able to cancel my paid membership to Sams and get it free through KCBS.
I'm not holding my breath. :rolleyes:
Not according to the press release.... (http://kcbs.us/news.php?id=243)

Samís Club becomes Official Supplier of KCBS

May 12, 2010

What a way to kick off National Barbeque Month! On behalf of your Board of Directors, we are proud to announce that Samís Club (http://www.samsclub.com/), the nationís largest warehouse club, is now the ďOfficial Supplier of KCBS!Ē

ďWe are very excited to be working with Samís Club and integrating them like never before into the world of competition barbeque,Ē said Carolyn Wells, executive director of KCBS. ďSamís Club has long been a preferred choice of barbeque teams throughout our network, but this new relationship (http://kcbs.us/news.php?id=243#) will bring additional benefits to all of our members, from teams and event organizers to judges and backyard grillers.Ē

As part of the agreement, Samís Club will immediately become a presenting sponsor for several of our industryís biggest events. The KCBS-sanctioned events that Samís selected for 2010 include: the Daytona BBQ Challenge in Daytona, Fla.; the Big Easy BBQ Challenge in New Orleans, La.; the American Royal Barbeque in Kansas City, Mo.; the Jack Danielís World Championship Invitational BBQ in Lynchburg, Tenn; the Smoke on the Water BBQ Festival in Pine Bluff, Ark.; and the Alabama DegaQue Championship in Talladega, Ala.

Additionally, Samís Club will provide prizes at contests throughout the season, and for the first time in KCBS history, it will provide funding (http://kcbs.us/news.php?id=243#) for a significant prize purse for the prestigious KCBS Team of the Year points chase!

ďSamís Club is jumping into competitive barbeque in a major way,Ē said Mike McCloud, president and CEO of MMA Creative (http://www.mmacreative.com/), the KCBS agency of record. ďWe are very excited to welcome them to our growing list of KCBS corporate partners. With their support and investment, along with companies like Kingsford and Rancherís Reserve, weíre finally seeing the kind of recognition and rewards that our industry deserves.Ē

McCloud added that KCBS members will now receive a 25% discount on individual Samís Club memberships, and that Samís will provide members-only promotions to KCBS in the coming year.

Samís Club also agreed to support another major KCBS initiative for 2010: the development and presentation of the Louisiana Tailgate & BBQ Festival (http://www.louisianatailgate.com/) in New Orleans, featuring the Big Easy BBQ Challenge and the Great American Tailgate Expo. KCBS is playing a key role in developing the programs for the expo and conference, and Samís involvement will help make the event even more exciting for brands, vendors, members and competitors.

Expanding the expo concept even further, Samís is currently planning a new ďClub Competition and ExpoĒ series that will be featured at Samís Clubs throughout America. The goal for the expos is to support the KCBS mission, which is to promote and celebrate barbeque as a sport and culinary art form. Look for more information on this exciting development this summer.

Many other ideas and programs are being discussed by Samís Club and KCBS representatives, so stay tuned for exciting announcements as we build on this new partnership. In the meantime, we hope that all KCBS members will welcome and support our newest corporate partner in the sport of barbeque!

Derek
05-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Yes I love Sam's club. I have a business account there and it's only a 20 minute drive from where I live.

bigabyte
05-12-2010, 01:06 PM
A 25% discount on membership sounds good to me. It sure beats full price. It didn't say anything about any changes in store in regards to products in the stores however.

This Is How We Que It
05-12-2010, 01:15 PM
My membership re-newel is at the end of the month. Do we have to give them a special code for the discount?

Divemaster
05-12-2010, 01:18 PM
I'm actually hoping they keep the relationship with Rest. Depot. I actually prefer them to Sam's for my meat and general items... I can't remember the last time I went to Sam's....

bigabyte
05-12-2010, 01:26 PM
I'm actually hoping they keep the relationship with Rest. Depot. I actually prefer them to Sam's for my meat and general items... I can't remember the last time I went to Sam's....
I have a feeling Rest. Depot blew that one...just guessing.

rweller
05-12-2010, 03:50 PM
This is a great addition of sponsorship for the teams that compete at these events throughout the year. Hopefully it will help with prize money.
I hope KCBS doesn't forget about the members that don't compete. The 25% off membership will be nice the next time my membership is due but like bigabyte says it would be nice to get some kind of in store discount as well. That way everyone can take advantage of being a KCBS and Sam's club member.
I guess we will see.

Jeff_in_KC
05-12-2010, 04:08 PM
I already have a free account through my wife's work. I want discounted merchandise...

musicmanryann
05-12-2010, 04:34 PM
I already have a free account through my wife's work. I want discounted merchandise...

You keep winning like you have been, and you will be getting discounted merchandise, at least indirectly.:wink:

Smokesman
05-12-2010, 08:36 PM
I'm with you. It's better than anhour to RD from my house, but i have found their staff and selection far above par, whether in meats or general merchandise. Always helpful people. As long as I can had-select my product, I'll make the drive.

Big fan of restaurant depot. Fortunate to have several sams, costco and a RD all in the metro Cinci area. Very happy with RD's meat selection and they have spares already trimmed to st. louis which is a nice time saver for a get together. still prefer to trim my own spares for comps. rd's overall selection is killer.