PDA

View Full Version : Hankster's in da Forum!

Hankster
06-10-2004, 08:38 AM
Hey ya'll! My name is Hank and I'm from Houston, Texas--Go Texans!!! WHOO HOO!!!!

I have 2 grills (mini Sunbeam and #22 Old Smokey) and one smoker (Gourmet American Deluxe Smoker from NB). I'm in the process of doing some modifications to the smoker so I can get better results in smoking some salmon, brisket, ribs and pork roast.

My favorite meats are pork ribs, spicy cajun sausage and slow smoked tender beef brisket. My favorite kind of steak is a porterhouse. My favorite seasonings are Carribbean jerk, Stubbs Grub Rub or Roasted Garlic. My favorite mopping sauces (other than my homemade sauce) are Stubb's and Carolina Treet (NC style), and my favorite finishing sauces are Stubb's Spicy, Ironworks, and KC Masterpiece Original. My favorite Steak Sauces are A1 Thick N Hearty and Lea & Perrin's.

Other than meat, I like to grill/smoke/roast corn on the cob, eggplant, portobello mushrooms, and watermelon.

My favorite beers are Shiner Bock, Abita Turbodog, Bellhaven St. Andrew's Ale, and Sam Adams Boton Lager.

For my fire, I like to use a base of Kingsford or Sam's American Choice charcoal, started in a chimney starter using a wicked chafing dish heater (not sterno) and then topped off with seasoned dry apple, maple or cherry wood.

Take 'er easy, ya'll!!!

brdbbq
06-10-2004, 08:41 AM
Welcome to the group Hank. Just funny ya earlier. So how do you grill/smoke/raost watermellon ? grilled peaches threw me but watermellon has me in a loop. I like all "Your" Beers as well. 8)

parrothead
06-10-2004, 08:42 AM
The hankster. hankarama. hankmeister. hank.

Welcome aboard!

MikeG
06-10-2004, 08:43 AM
Welcome Hank!!
Your are now among brothers that have a passion
for same thing. Different ideas, methods, and opinions
about it but so much in common.
glad to have you with us
Mikeg

kcquer
06-10-2004, 08:46 AM
Welcome Hank, lots of jokers and lots of smokers here. Sounds like you'll fit right in.

Hankster
06-10-2004, 08:58 AM
And if you look at my avatar, ya'll who like The Big Lebowski can see that "Smoker" has multiple meanings here!!!

The_Kapn
06-10-2004, 09:02 AM
Hankster,
Wecome aboard :!:
My favorite beers are Shiner Bock...
My kinda guy.
TIM

tommykendall
06-10-2004, 09:05 AM
My favorite beers are Shiner Bock

Welcome Hank. A couple years ago I was working on a Shiner Bock beer truck at a local chili cook-off. Tasty stuff - seemed to make the women a bit frisky too!

BigAl
06-10-2004, 09:18 AM
Welcome Hank.

Watermelon?

My favorite beers are the ones that are free and cold! In that order. :D :D

Hankster
06-10-2004, 09:26 AM
Welcome Hank.

Watermelon?

My favorite beers are the ones that are free and cold! In that order. :D :D

The Grilled Watermelon is a Weber Restaurant recipie--it's quite good actually!

If the ones I mentioned above aren't available (and they're always cold, man!) free and cold are next on the list, Big Al!!!

Hankster
06-10-2004, 09:27 AM
Welcome Hank. A couple years ago I was working on a Shiner Bock beer truck at a local chili cook-off. Tasty stuff - seemed to make the women a bit frisky too!

now you see why it's a favorite!!!! :wink:

Bill-Chicago
06-10-2004, 10:32 AM
Welcome Hank
Glad to have another Texan in the group.

brdbbq
06-10-2004, 11:01 AM

Why do I find that hard to beleive ?

Bill-Chicago
06-10-2004, 11:07 AM

Why do I find that hard to beleive ?

Cuz we can keep an eye on you all from steeling our stuff.

parrothead
06-10-2004, 11:13 AM

Yeah, like those big hats. I think those were first made in Illinois.

Bigmista
06-10-2004, 11:20 AM
Welcome Hankster!

True Texans are Cowboy fans! HOW BOUT DEM COWBOYZ?

Now give us more details on this Grilled Watermelon!!!

Mista

Bill-Chicago
06-10-2004, 11:42 AM

Yeah, like those big hats. I think those were first made in Illinois.

Pimp Hat turned into "Cowboy" hat

brdbbq
06-10-2004, 11:50 AM
I suppose stir ups came from "Illinoise" as well

Hankster
06-10-2004, 12:21 PM
Welcome Hankster!

True Texans are Cowboy fans! HOW BOUT DEM COWBOYZ?

Now give us more details on this Grilled Watermelon!!!

Mista

NO WE ARE NOT!

THE COWBOYZ SUCK!!! THE TEXANS ROCK!!!

People in Houston and South Texas mostly HATE the Felons...ERRR Cowboys. I have been a lifelong Houston fan and would never, EVER root for the Cowboys. If you listen to SportsRadio 610 here in Houston, there are only two IDIOT cowboy fans in Houston--Cowboy Bill Lamza and the wimpy Cowboy Steve Emailer.

You start talking about the Cowboys in most parts of Houston, you'll be asked politely to leave. You get rude about it, and you get thrown out on your AAAAASSSSS!!!!

Now, I don't mean any disrespect to the City of Dallas and any of our barbecue brethren who live there, as there are some nice folks up there who can make some good Texas barbecue. However, when it comes to football my blood runs Battle Red, Liberty White and Cold Steel Blue for the Texans. My #8 Jersey says CARR, not AIKMAN. And I have a tattoo of the Texans Toro Logo on my right Shoulder.

I am a True Texan, and I am a True FAN of the HOUSTON TEXANS!!!

GO TEXANS!!!

Bill-Chicago
06-10-2004, 12:24 PM
I suppose stir ups came from "Illinoise" as well

Yep. Invented by a Gynocologist here.

brdbbq
06-10-2004, 12:36 PM
GO TEXANS!!!

Nashville Mod

Bigmista
06-10-2004, 12:56 PM
Hankster,

I grew up in Galveston and have been a Cowboy fan all of my life. Staubach was my first QB but my Grandmother started following them when Tom Landry got there. My Granny would rush us home from church to watch the Cowbows.

I have been loyal to 2 teams all of my life. The Lakers and the Cowboys. When the Boys were 1-11 I was still trying to calculate a way for them to get into the playoffs.

It's sounds like you are loyal to your city instead of a team, because if you were loyal to a team, you would still be pulling for the Oilers (Titans).

That being said I respect your enthusiasm. Maybe your team will make the playoffs one day.

Mista

HOW BOUT DEM COWBOYZ!!

kcquer
06-10-2004, 01:04 PM
In the pre Jerry Jones days the Cowboys were my NFC team. Not a 'boys fan no more. Until that little weasel doesn't own the team I won't be either. How big Cowboys fan? I still hate the 'skins almost as much as da Raiders.

Hank, if you're a Texans fan I guess you're probably not interested in hearing me run any smack about Dante Hall :P

GO CHIEFS!!!

Bigmista
06-10-2004, 01:14 PM
Not concerned about Jerry Jones. He pisses me off sometimes too but I pull for the team, not an individual. Same way I hated Karl Malone until he became a Laker. He's on the team now and I pull just as hard for him as I do for Kobe and Shaq.

And don't forget, the Cowboys are tied for the record for most Super Bowl Victories EVER!

If that ain't worth some bragging rights, I don't know what is!

Mista

HOW BOUT DEM COWBOYS!!

Hankster
06-10-2004, 01:22 PM
BigMista:

All I gotta say is 19-10, baby!

And I'm not an Oiler Fan thanks to Bud the A-hole Adams. I am a fan of Moon, Campbell, Wycheck and company, but the Oilers organization betrayed the city when they moved to Tennessee. I am not a fan of fairweatheredness. During the 1970s, I rooted for Pittsburgh, and I have always been a Packer backer. I am also a Texans fan and have been sense McNair got the team. Mark it, Dude!!!

We WILL be in the playoffs THIS SEASON, mark it Dudes.

I don't know how it was in the Houston area back when you lived in Galveston, but now, if you say you're a Dallas fan like Cowboy Bill and his bunch, you're living dangerously because you Don't Mess with the Texans.

If you mess with the Bull, YOU GET THE HORNS!!!

Hankster
06-10-2004, 01:24 PM
KCquer: I respect what the Chiefs were able to do this past season. Too bad about that first playoff game though... Ya kinda peaked a little earlier in the season.

Also, the Chiefs were the original Texans in the old AFL and your owner gave ours the blessing to use the name here. Mark it, Dude!!!!

Hankster
06-10-2004, 01:26 PM
One more thing BM: There are more Houston Texans Special Plates issued than there are Cowboys Special plates issued here in Texans--by 5 to one in fact. Shows the true fans put their money where their mouths and cars are!!!

DON'T MESS WITH THE TEXANS!!!

IF YOU MESS WITH THE BULL YOU GET THE HORNS!!!

brdbbq
06-10-2004, 01:29 PM
The ball teams could KMA before i would buy a license plate to show support. Bunch of overpaid spoiled bastidges.

Hankster
06-10-2004, 01:40 PM
You a Lobo fan, brdbbg?

frognot
06-10-2004, 01:41 PM
Howdy, Hank!
another DFW area brother here. Lifelong Cowboy fan but never thought about getting a Cowboy plate. Almost bought the Hunt Texas ones but waited too late. Might hold off until we get ones like thay have in Virginia :

http://www.parrothead.org/plates/plates.htm

frognot
06-10-2004, 01:42 PM
You a Lobo fan, brdbbg?

Actually, he must like Houston teams cause i heard he's a big fan of Rice!

Bill-Chicago
06-10-2004, 01:45 PM
Raiders Rule

Bigmista
06-10-2004, 01:55 PM
I have never bought any sports memorabillia. Never a Lakers Jersey. Never a Cowboys hat. Hell I played for a Nat'l championship football team in college and the only thing I have from that is my ring. (I earned that piece of jewelry and it's the only piece I wear!)

Money <> Support

Still like your enthusiasm. Been talking about moving back to Houston in a year or two. I'll make sure and watch what I say when I get there. I love the Cowboys but I ain't about to get my ass kicked over them when I ain't gettin paid!

It's never THAT serious.

Mista

brdbbq
06-10-2004, 02:05 PM
You a Lobo fan, brdbbg?

What is a Lobo ? Actually I'm a Keystone fan. :lol:

Bill-Chicago
06-10-2004, 02:06 PM
Think he meant Lesbo

brdbbq
06-10-2004, 02:07 PM
ass kicked over them when I ain't gettin paid!

It's never THAT serious.

Smart Move

Hankster
06-10-2004, 02:15 PM
Lobo's a villain from DC Comics who always calls certain people "Bastitches" and "Bastiges"

BM: It's only those who are REALLY OBNOXIOUS Cowboy fans who keep on screaming "YEE HAW! HOW 'BOUT DEM COWBOYZ" to Texan fans watching the game at Buffalo Wild Wings or Hooters or wherever who get their asses kicked. Houston's a friendly town, and there are Cowboy fans here, but they keep it low key usually. Main exceptions are Cowboy Bill Lamza and Cowboy Steve, who are SO FREAKING OBNOXIOUS in their manners that they DESERVE to get their asses kicked.

Think of that stupid ass cowboy fan who was screaming that **** at Michael Strahan in the Snickers commercial--that's what we hate and won't put up with here.

Plus, I'll say one other thing: Bud Adams pissed off so many people in Houston between his whining for more money from the city when he refused to put a good product on the field, to not allowing tailgating at the Astrodome to being totally fan-hostile that he basically ran himself out of town. PLus Oilers games were usually too sedate--very few people brought signs or dressed up even during the Luv ya Blue days.

Now, under Bob McNair, there are 3 lots for tailgating at Reliant Stadium with HEB judging the best tailgaters for each game. Fans dress up crazy and there are crazy fan contests held each year. People bring signs and wear bull horns and face paint and Reliant Stadium is a tough place for visiting teams to play. The Texans beat the Panthers and pushed the Patriots to overtime this season, and nearly hit 8-8 as opposed to 5-11 because of some bad calls or overtime coin tosses in at least 3-5 games. A number of opposing teams (Chiefs excepted) who have said it's so loud in Reliant it is a TOUGH place to play and many teams are now saying that as the Texans are getting better, it's going to be one of the toughest road trips in the AFC.

When you come back, go to a game and see all the tailgaters cooking barbecue and drinking up beer, see all the partying and see how ALIVE the fans are here for the Texans. You'll be a convert after a couple of years, dude!!!

Bill-Chicago
06-10-2004, 02:16 PM
Hank,

Any chance you like football?

parrothead
06-10-2004, 02:33 PM
Might hold off until we get ones like thay have in Virginia

Those are nice

Hankster
06-10-2004, 02:33 PM
Hank,

Any chance you like football?

Uh... ya think? :shock:

JacksonsDad
06-10-2004, 03:28 PM
The Cowboys lost their luster with me several years ago...met too many of the guys to continue to like 'em. :)

The Texans have a couple more years, but Carr is taking them in the right direction...

Now the Longhorns, there's a True Texas Team!

I have to admit, my pro loyalties lie with Ex Horns as well...Ricky, Priest, Mike Williams...those the guys that I watch...

Hank, regardless of affiliations, glad to have another Texan on board, even if you are from Houston... :lol:

Shiner makes it all a'right anyway..cheers!

Solidkick
06-10-2004, 04:12 PM
Welcome Hankster!. I think you'll fit right in here. If you ever get a chance to eat a meal with Brian, (brdbbq) be sure to serve a rice dish. The poor old guy don't have any teeth (or is it he's missing his dental cup?) and needs something he can get down pretty easily.

Glad to see ya joined up! We're a good bunch!

rusold
06-10-2004, 05:14 PM
Wellcome Hankster,

During the Bum Phillips days LoveYaBlue overwhelmed Bud's level of being an Ahole - IMHO.

And are the Lester guy that calls 610 all the time??

ParrotHead ? What is the connection between Jimmy Buffet and VA?????

R

parrothead
06-10-2004, 06:34 PM
ParrotHead ? What is the connection between Jimmy Buffet and VA?????

No clue.

BBQchef33
06-10-2004, 06:58 PM
Holy Sheet hankster.. 40+ responses on your cattle call on the first day.. you took the record on that one!!! Welcome! Sounds like you fit right in with the rest of us....

(even me.... the big "lurker" with 1200+ posts.)

rusold
06-10-2004, 07:22 PM
One more Phil

He still hasn't confessed to being Lester wish I had tapes of the show.

R

racer_81
06-10-2004, 10:28 PM
Welcome Hank.

I, too, listen to 610 in the morning and afternoon drive times,
despise Butt Adams, and always root for The Texans and whoever
is playing the cowboys.

Oh yeah, I forget who the Lakers fans are, but this is for you.

How 'bout them Pistons!!!

brdbbq
06-11-2004, 06:22 AM
The poor old guy don't have any teeth (or is it he's missing his dental cup?) and needs something he can get down pretty easily.

Mr Kick always brings out my finer points.

Hankster, Houston games sound like a ball. Cowboys are boring and them Jones got the face lift. OMG what a joke.

Bill-Chicago
06-11-2004, 06:36 AM
(even me.... the big "lurker" with 1200+ posts.)

Hmmm. Says over 1300 under your name.

Can't add.

Must be a computer geek

parrothead
06-11-2004, 07:18 AM
Says over 1300 under your name.

Yep. 1200 PLUS another hundred or so. Bill, you have 1200 + posts also. plus 2800

Bill-Chicago
06-11-2004, 07:21 AM
Says over 1300 under your name.

Yep. 1200 PLUS another hundred or so. Bill, you have 1200 + posts also. plus 2800 +39

brdbbq
06-11-2004, 07:28 AM
Prefer "69"

Bill-Chicago
06-11-2004, 08:01 AM
Prefer "69"

While the song "It's Raining Men" is on the stereo?

jt
06-11-2004, 09:02 AM
Not a 'boys fan no more.

Glad to hear this. Was gonna have to rethink that carpooling thing to Chicago :shock:

Glad to have you, Hank. It seems you're going to fit right in.

BigAl
06-12-2004, 12:26 PM
Prefer "69"

Me too, but it is more like "61", 8 less these days! :?

Keep hoping for "77", 8 more :!: :shock: :roll: :wink: :D

kcquer
06-12-2004, 04:15 PM
Big Al, you ever had 71?

Hankster
06-14-2004, 11:49 AM
Uh, I'm not "Lester" the guy who calls about wanting to hurl insults at the visiting team. I'm "Hank on the West Side" an occasional caller who's commented on everything from why Chinaman is a racial slur (my SLF is Chinese American and she's explained it to me) to dropping insults on Cowboy Bill, Steve and Larry in Montrose. I also did a Pirate Freestyle call in when the Bucs played the Raiders "Arrrggghhh... it'll be a deep six into Davey Jones' locker for the loser, and the winner will score the Booty... ARRRRGGHHHH!!!!"

Bigdog
06-15-2004, 08:47 AM
Welcome Hankster. Looks like you sure stired things up with your football comments. There are 2 things that folks here in the central part of the US really get pasionate about: Religion and Football. Oh, I forgot, football is a religion. My bad. :wink:

Hankster
06-15-2004, 10:28 AM
In Texas, Football is Religion and it gets discussed during hockey, baseball and hoops seasons too. Mark it, Dudes!!!

Bigmista
06-15-2004, 12:28 PM
In Texas, Football is Religion and it gets discussed during hockey, baseball and hoops seasons too. Mark it, Dudes!!!

Hankster,

you are right about that! When I was growing up I remember seeing College Scouts at Pop Warner League games. Whole towns in Texas shut down on friday nights for High School Football games!

Ahhh...those were the days!

chad
06-15-2004, 12:42 PM
Whole towns in Texas shut down on friday nights for High School Football games!

Not hard to do when there's only one main street (and it's not Main Street!), two four-way stops, and one flashing light! :D

Go Gobblers!!

Cuero, TX, home for the Fight'n Gobblers!

I'm just pokin' fun - I lived in San Antonio for 9 years and spent lots of time in Jourdanton, Pleasanton, Kerrville, Floresville, Somerset, etc. Even got thru China Grove a few time (easy to miss!) on the way to Victoria (hence my rememberance of Cuero!).

Hankster
06-15-2004, 01:09 PM
I'd like it even better if it were CUERVO!!! heeee heee heee!!!!

chad
06-15-2004, 01:12 PM
Tequila flavored turkey? Hmmm! :twisted:

brdbbq
06-15-2004, 01:22 PM
Chad where ya been ?

chad
06-15-2004, 01:32 PM
Vacation last week - no internet unless I wanted to pay "cafe" prices.

Working to be able to pay for the Bash trip :D

Getting psyched for the election in November! Gotta see if FL can do it again :twisted:

brdbbq
06-15-2004, 02:15 PM
Getting psyched for the election in November! Gotta see if FL can do it again

That's funny

Hankster
06-16-2004, 09:37 AM
LIke that smilie, brdbbq!!! heheheheheeeee