33 Sherwood Three
34 Potbelly Smokers
35 Okie John Que Nobi
36 Team EMS
37 Beer B Q'ers

Great job everyone and great top 5 finish Pat!!! :becky::becky::becky:

Trucky1008
05-09-2010, 07:27 AM
This was our first ever comp and we had a great time, and got three walks to boot! Of course we're now hooked on comps. :-D

Pork Patrol BBQ

pat
05-09-2010, 07:33 AM
Thanks Matt! Had a great time this weekend (except for the gale force winds). Congrats to Pork Patrol BBQ on their kick ass finish for their first comp!! You are now hooked.

Congrats to all the brethren who walked!

Buster Dog BBQ
05-09-2010, 07:43 AM
This was our first ever comp and we had a great time, and got three walks to boot! Of course we're now hooked on comps. :-D

Pork Patrol BBQ
Great job guys. Keep it going.

Buster Dog BBQ
05-09-2010, 07:46 AM
Thanks Matt! Had a great time this weekend (except for the gale force winds). Congrats to Pork Patrol BBQ on their kick ass finish for their first comp!! You are now hooked.
Pat, the squirrel was strong with you this weekend. Nice showing.

pat
05-09-2010, 07:48 AM
Pat, the squirrel was strong with you this weekend. Nice showing.

I should of brought that little fella home :laugh:

BBQ_Mayor
05-09-2010, 07:58 AM
It was really great to get the new rig out to give it a try and to get cooking again. We'll take the 10th place finish to start the year, could have easily been worse with that line up of teams. The trailer was great to have in the cold and windy weather.
Great showing by the brothers, congrats to all of you.
And Pork Patrol, it was nice meeting and talking with guys. I think you had a little squirrel luck too.

Shotgun
05-09-2010, 07:59 AM

Pork Patrol BBQ

Nice guys and it was nice meeting you.

Trucky1008
05-09-2010, 08:07 AM
It was funny how them little fellas kept trying to get in our trailer, maybe it had something to do with the peanuts we kept feeding them!

It was nice putting faces to the names of the Brethren. We felt fortunate to be on "Brethren Row". Great job Pat and Rod on your finishes.

Trucky1008
05-09-2010, 08:19 AM
Smokehouse 72- It was a real pleasure meeting you guys. Even though the weather sucked and we froze our azzes off, we had a blast and can't wait for our next comp (haven't decided which one, maybe LPQ). All the competitors seemed very friendly and helpful, but the Brethren members we met were amazing. :thumb:

JBI
05-09-2010, 08:35 AM
Don, it was great meeting you. Congrat's on your three calls!!!:clap2:

Trucky1008
05-09-2010, 08:58 AM
Don, it was great meeting you. Congrat's on your three calls!!!:clap2:

It was nice meeting you too Joel, thanks.

Rich Parker
05-09-2010, 09:36 AM
Congratulations to all who walked!

Smokin' Joe
05-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Looks like you all survived the weather, it was brutal here. Congrats to all who heard their name, looking forward to seeing most of you next weekend in Austin.

garyk1398
05-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Congrats to all! Outstanding showing!

thenewguy
05-09-2010, 11:23 AM
It felt good to get back in comp mode! I coulda done without the wind though.
Congrats guys on the calls! I was pretty happy with the results, although I thought my chiken was better than that. Oh yeah- I thougth my ribs were a little better too....and my pork-well you get the point!
It was great getting to see everyone again, I just wish wasn't behind all weekend so I couldn't relax and gossip more!

BBQ_Mayor
05-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Looks like you all survived the weather, it was brutal here. Congrats to all who heard their name, looking forward to seeing most of you next weekend in Austin.

Most of us? Are there some of us you don't want to see?:wink: Never mind, I don't want to know. :becky:

Smokin' Joe
05-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Most of us? Are there some of us you don't want to see?:wink: Never mind, I don't want to know. :becky:

:tape: :becky:

monty3777
05-09-2010, 01:38 PM

O.K., I got the hint!

It was a lot of fun seeing the Smokehouse trailer! Also good to meet some more brethren. Pat, Trucky (x2), JBI (thanks for the batteries!!), Char (am I forgetting anyone)? Here is a pick of Bubba Q. Bubba Knapp was the first person I ever met at a competition and he is a great guy. Meeting his wife in CB was another honor. I know he comes around here, but I'm not sure if he is registered. Either way, here is a pic of the winner:

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk281/monty3777/DSC01255.jpg

BRBBQ
05-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Congrats to all the Brethren, I had the pleasure of talking with some of you. Most I talked to were on Brethren row and Spanky and the Meat Mafi over there by himself!

BBQ_Mayor
05-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Congrats to all the Brethren, I had the pleasure of talking with some of you. Most I talked to were on Brethren row and Spanky and the Meat Mafi over there by himself!

I'm glad you stopped by. It was nice to put a name to a face.

monty3777
05-09-2010, 05:42 PM

Did we get a chance to meet? I was over on the side streets.

pat
05-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Hey Nate it was great meeting you. I forgot to have you sharpen my knives :doh:

Buster Dog BBQ
05-09-2010, 06:47 PM
He made mine so sharp that Chuck Norris looked at them and p!ssed down his leg. Not Nates leg, Chuck's leg.

pat
05-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Chuck Norris was in CB? No wonder the wind was so strong.

monty3777
05-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Chuck Norris was in CB? No wonder the wind was so strong.

That's one of the reasons we had our worst overall score ever. I was busy training with Chuck at the YMCA - showing him some new moves I have been working on - and I forgot to watch the fire. Oh well, it's all in the name of martial arts :rolleyes:

monty3777
05-09-2010, 07:12 PM

You too, Pat. And congrats on such a high finish. I'll get your knives next time :thumb:

Solidkick
05-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Nice job all!! :clap2:

JBI
05-09-2010, 09:27 PM
O.K., I got the hint!

It was a lot of fun seeing the Smokehouse trailer! Also good to meet some more brethren. Pat, Trucky (x2), JBI (thanks for the batteries!!), Char (am I forgetting anyone)? Here is a pick of Bubba Q. Bubba Knapp was the first person I ever met at a competition and he is a great guy. Meeting his wife in CB was another honor. I know he comes around here, but I'm not sure if he is registered. Either way, here is a pic of the winner:

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk281/monty3777/DSC01255.jpg

It was great meeting you too!! Thanks for the cookies!!! My daughter loves them!!

BRBBQ
05-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Did we get a chance to meet? I was over on the side streets.
I don't believe so, I did walk around friday looking for some brethren. Saturday I had to wait until judging was over before I could talk with anyone. I'm thinking I judged everyones brisket, alot of you were high in the standings:becky: Of course we don't know who turned what in, but I seen alot of good brisket. I felt sorry for some folks though, the judge next to me seemed to give out to many 6's his paper was in view, so I looked.

pat
05-09-2010, 10:27 PM
the judge next to me seemed to give out to many 6's.

I got some of those :bow:

monty3777
05-09-2010, 10:30 PM
I felt sorry for some folks though, the judge next to me seemed to give out to many 6's his paper was in view, so I looked.

I got that guy! :doh: :heh:

musicmanryann
05-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Wow--what a great weekend! Congrats to all Brethren who heard their name called, but especially to Pork Patrol ending up in the Top 10 overall with 3 calls, for their first contest! I also liked Brethren row--we were a force over there on the north block!

Thanks DP for the chili and wings, and Monty for the beer and knife sharpening--you are a gentleman and a scholar.:clap2: I'll let you know when I get the chance to try it.

Thought the contest was well-run and we had all the amenities we look for. The only complaint I had was the awards ceremony; seemed like an afterthought. They could have just as quickly called top 10 in the 10 minutes that they alloted for the ceremony, but only top 7. We were lucky enough to get two of the ribbons, and they were all generic and reminded me of the ones I used to get on relay day in elementary school--very nice on that day, but by the end of the summer you have no recollection of what you got them for. lol.

Buster Dog BBQ
05-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Wow--what a great weekend! Congrats to all Brethren who heard their name called, but especially to Pork Patrol ending up in the Top 10 overall with 3 calls, for their first contest! I also liked Brethren row--we were a force over there on the north block!

Thanks DP for the chili and wings, and Monty for the beer and knife sharpening--you are a gentleman and a scholar.:clap2: I'll let you know when I get the chance to try it.

Thought the contest was well-run and we had all the amenities we look for. The only complaint I had was the awards ceremony; seemed like an afterthought. They could have just as quickly called top 10 in the 10 minutes that they alloted for the ceremony, but only top 7. We were lucky enough to get two of the ribbons, and they were all generic and reminded me of the ones I used to get on relay day in elementary school--very nice on that day, but by the end of the summer you have no recollection of what you got them for. lol.
Ryan, these are a step up from two years ago when it was a single ribbon. Still all looked the same. The Belton contest I did last week was the same and to top it off my finish was the same for two categories so the generic ribbons were the same too. They had an olympic torch on them.

Fastest awards ceramony ever. Too bad she wasn't in Minnesota last year for that four hour marathon.

Big George's BBQ
05-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Congrats to all who walked

monty3777
05-10-2010, 12:39 PM

I agree - I went to the contest thinking that it would be really unorganized. I was glad to discover that, with a few minor issues that you get at every comp., the contest was run well. I appreciated the fact that the awards ceremony was not drawn out - but I also agree that going to 10th place seems reasonable. This may be more out of my own selfishness because at least we would have gotten a call.

I see they only had 82% CBJs. I think in the future I will try and avoid comps with such a low CBJ turnout.

Bride of Roo(BQ'n)
05-10-2010, 07:17 PM
Sorry for being so slow to get here to comment...but First and Foremost THANKS to all you guys who cooked butts for our next Operation BBQ. Your help is greatly appreciated, and also big thanks to those of you who gave us your extra meat. I convinced Tom that you covered it with some other sauce so no secrets could be revealed...

You guys all rock, it was great fun to see so many of you again.

Buster Dog BBQ
05-10-2010, 07:59 PM
Sorry for being so slow to get here to comment...but First and Foremost THANKS to all you guys who cooked butts for our next Operation BBQ. Your help is greatly appreciated, and also big thanks to those of you who gave us your extra meat. I convinced Tom that you covered it with some other sauce so no secrets could be revealed...

You guys all rock, it was great fun to see so many of you again.
I was going to give you my meat but the city workers grabbed it out of the garbage and were too busy eating it. Thanks to Tom for noticing.

thenewguy
05-10-2010, 08:39 PM
You're kiddin'.....right?

PimpSmoke
05-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Nice. Good show

trucky9754
05-10-2010, 09:02 PM
I just want to thank all the Brethren's we met at the comp in CB's. Had a great time and got to meat a bunch of you guys. I just hope you guys didn't hear Trucky1008 and I yelling at each other. I hope we kept it clean. Learned a bunch this past weekend and I think Don and I both got the itch now. I think we are going to trap a few of those squirrels and take them to the next competition we attend. I think they gave us some good carma. Another bit of information, as Don and I were leaving, one of the promoters came up to Don and I and thanked us. She said the entire row of teams (mostly Bretherns) on the north side cleaned up their spots perfectly. She said the other two streets were left with junk all over the place. She said she had to even clean up a pile of ashes someone just tossed onto the roadway. It's nice to know the Brether's group leave with a good impression. Again Thanks to all and hope to see you in the near future.

PORK PATROL BBQ
Trucky9754 (Dennis)

FEC100
CS009
Gasser Weber
Red (2) thermopen
Official MOINKER
KCBS Member

Buster Dog BBQ
05-10-2010, 09:22 PM
You're kiddin'.....right?
Nope. I had one butt that was not good. So I tossed it. Tom saw the guys grab it (and 3 pieces of chicken I just threw on that were too small to turn in) out of the garbage and were eating in the back of the truck.

Plowboy
05-10-2010, 09:25 PM
I see some Plowboys alumni in there. Way to go... you know who you are. :thumb:

monty3777
05-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Nope. I had one butt that was not good. So I tossed it. Tom saw the guys grab it (and 3 pieces of chicken I just threw on that were too small to turn in) out of the garbage and were eating in the back of the truck.

I see a new motto in there somewhere. Heck, I'd be bragging to my mother if folks were willing to dig my Q out of the garbage and eat it!!!! :thumb:

bbqkrazy
05-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Hey Nate, great getting to talk with you and the others at the contest. Wife wants your wife to make a tin or pack of the pig cookies and bring them to the Ottumwa contest for me to buy. Dont care what the price is just bring em!! :)

F.Y.I... our trailer now has AAA bats back in stock BUbba-Q

monty3777
05-11-2010, 08:31 AM
She said the other two streets were left with junk all over the place. She said she had to even clean up a pile of ashes someone just tossed onto the roadway. It's nice to know the Brether's group leave with a good impression. (Dennis)

I may have been one of the folks who left some ashes. However, there is a reason for that. There were no ash cans or grease cans off the main square - though we asked for some to be provided. That means we were carrying hot grease and live coals nearly a block. After doing that several times my frustration level was through the roof. Imagine carrying grease and ash in that wind aan entire city block. It was dangerous and unnecessary. So I put what was left of my ashes in a pan of water and left them there so that the organizers could have the same experience I had. That was our little act of rebellion. Now that I think about it that was a little childish. But few people accuse me of being a grown-up!

KC_Bobby
05-11-2010, 10:29 AM
At one recent comp I was looking for an grease dump to dump my water from the BWS. One organizer told me to just dump the grease in the ash dump. For those of you who have never done this - I don't recommend it.

Next organizer that tells me to do that, I'm going to hand him the bucket and let him do it himself.

monty3777
05-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Hey Nate, great getting to talk with you and the others at the contest. Wife wants your wife to make a tin or pack of the pig cookies and bring them to the Ottumwa contest for me to buy. Dont care what the price is just bring em!! :)

F.Y.I... our trailer now has AAA bats back in stock BUbba-Q

Done and Done! Good seeing you again, Bubba!

ModelMaker
05-11-2010, 07:30 PM
At one recent comp I was looking for an grease dump to dump my water from the BWS. One organizer told me to just dump the grease in the ash dump. For those of you who have never done this - I don't recommend it.

Next organizer that tells me to do that, I'm going to hand him the bucket and let him do it himself.

Ouch!! I'm hurtin from LOLin.. All I can see in my minds eye is a similar picture of the volcano from two weeks ago......
Ed

KC_Bobby
05-11-2010, 09:12 PM
I'd never dumped grease/water on ash before and I was tired so I didn't give it much thought. However, fortunately I started dumping real slow and it didn't take but a second to realize that was a HUGE mistake. No harm done other than my red shirt was gray - as was my face and cap

Divemaster
05-12-2010, 02:00 PM
Great Job Gang!

Charcoalloungers
05-12-2010, 08:47 PM
I got that guy! :doh: :heh:
I got that guy too...666 followed by 999, geesh, gimmie a break! Great contest and cograts to Bubba Q, Parrothead and all those that walked. Personally, I think I spent to much time in the Purple Turtle:doh:

monty3777
05-13-2010, 10:23 AM
I got that guy too...666 followed by 999, geesh, gimmie a break! Great contest and cograts to Bubba Q, Parrothead and all those that walked. Personally, I think I spent to much time in the Purple Turtle:doh:

Same thing happened to me with chicken. BTW, what team were you with?

KC_Bobby
05-13-2010, 11:53 AM
I had scores from 999 to 777 to 965 in chicken at our last comp. However, I do not view that as judging error - I see it as a cooking error within the chicken category since I turn in individual pieces.

As much as we as cooks try to get each thigh (or other piece of chicken) to cook exactly the same - they are not going to be exact for various reasons including the meat itself and the smoker. I think it's very possible that the taste and tenderness can very a few points from piece to piece. As for appearance - well who knows.

Had I cut up a breast and knew the 2 slices were beside each other then I would question the judging.

Buster Dog BBQ
05-13-2010, 12:00 PM
I had scores from 999 to 777 to 965 in chicken at our last comp. However, I do not view that as judging error - I see it as a cooking error within the chicken category since I turn in individual pieces.

As much as we as cooks try to get each thigh (or other piece of chicken) to cook exactly the same - they are not going to be exact for various reasons including the meat itself and the smoker. I think it's very possible that the taste and tenderness can very a few points from piece to piece. As for appearance - well who knows.

Had I cut up a breast and knew the 2 slices were beside each other then I would question the judging.
I think you could say this about all but pork to be honest. There is always the dry factor.

musicmanryann
05-13-2010, 12:41 PM
I think you could say this about all but pork to be honest. There is always the dry factor.

Yes, but not to the same degree. Each piece of chicken you put in the box could potentially come from a different animal. Most of the time we are choosing one brisket to put in the box and ribs we choose the best two slabs, but the best one showcased.

monty3777
05-13-2010, 01:07 PM
For the record I don't blame the judges for our poor showing. The proof of the pudding is the fact that teams who usually finish at the top finished at the top as usual. I assume that I turned in something that was just not consistant. I'm dissapointed in myself for being inconsistant.

Charcoalloungers
05-13-2010, 04:41 PM

Good point. It's just so much easier to blame the judges!..lol

Charcoalloungers
05-13-2010, 04:45 PM
Same thing happened to me with chicken. BTW, what team were you with?
Charcoal Loungers. We were the 5th wheel camper parked up in the northeast corner. Didn't put my banner up cause of that insane wind.