PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Rebuild

thillin
05-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Starting to update my comp trailer to expand it's use as a catering trailer as well. Here are couple of my aqcuisitions this week.

Commercial Refrigerator
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/thillin/DSCN5011.jpg

3 Compartment Sink
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/thillin/DSCN5010.jpg

Hand Sink
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/thillin/DSCN5013.jpg

And I bought a water heater on eBay today. Water tanks and pump next. Going to FRP the walls and ceiling, and vinyl flooring. That should get me ready to pass HD inspection.

BRBBQ
05-08-2010, 01:34 AM
Nice looking stuff. I really don't see why people need to buy a Commercial Refrigerator! A refrigerator looks like a refrigerator to me.

Ford
05-08-2010, 06:24 AM
Nice looking stuff. I really don't see why people need to buy a Commercial Refrigerator! A refrigerator looks like a refrigerator to me.
A number of reasons but the big one is being able to clean them. No extra corners, crisper crawers, door fittings, etc. Just straight sides and a bottom so real easy to get out all the nasties on a regular basis.

And you also want commercial for space. They are designed for steam pans. 2 side by side . with 4 shelves you can stack a lot of pans.

Bbq Bubba
05-08-2010, 09:01 AM

Because it's the law. :thumb:

Bbq Bubba
05-08-2010, 09:03 AM
You've got a good start!
Have you already done a plan review with your H.D.?
What size water heater are you using? Have you found your fresh and grey tanks yet?
I love a new trailer build! :thumb:

BRBBQ
05-08-2010, 09:06 AM
I can see the corner thing and being easier to clean, I really don't get it being a required thing, your not eating off it. I also thought they should have a thermometer for reading temps? Either way I'd take all of them, they look nice and clean.

thillin
05-08-2010, 09:39 AM
You've got a good start!
Have you already done a plan review with your H.D.?
What size water heater are you using? Have you found your fresh and grey tanks yet?
I love a new trailer build! :thumb:

Yes, I've come to know the HD inspector fairly well between the emails and phone calls. And I've kept all emails with his approvals.

I'm going with a gas water heater the Excel tankless 1.6gpm.

Grey tank will be sprayer tank and I'm waiting to hear if they will approve a sprayer tank for fresh water. I'll post some more pics along the way. Now I'm looking into water pumps and wether or not if i need an accumulator.

Bbq Bubba
05-08-2010, 09:56 AM
How are you going to install a sprayer tank under your trailer?

thillin
05-08-2010, 10:56 AM
How are you going to install a sprayer tank under your trailer?

They can be installed under the sinks as well. If I find a deal on a tank that I can mount under neath, I'll get it.

Bbq Bubba
05-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Could be wrong but don't think the HD will let you have your grey water inside the kitchen.

thillin
05-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Could be wrong but don't think the HD will let you have your grey water inside the kitchen.

local HD inspector gave the OK as long as it's sealed and seperate from the fresh tank.

barbefunkoramaque
05-08-2010, 02:17 PM

Here's why. It's not really the ease in cleaning as much as the nature of the refrigerator function itself.

Primarily a home fridge is meant to keep food within the proper range in a home that is already envirnmentally controlled (about 70 degrees). Second we do not open our fridges at home the same way we do a commercial (or rather the extent). Home units mostly are opened during meal prep time and intermittently after that.

Now... compare that to what a typical vendor might use it for. One... the outside temp can be (as in my case back in a tournament in Texas in the 1990s, 120 degrees! LOL ), Next, let's say your vending and instead of cooking for your family your cooking for 500 or a thousand. How many times might you open the door?

The unit basically needs to be able to get BACK down to temp quickly and also be able to keep temps in line in warmer environments. Remember, refrigeration is the REMOVAL of heat and transferring it someplace else (outside the unit). If you outisde is already hot, that less heat you can remove. The heat has to be removed from the refrigerant too (outside air through a coil) before it goes back to do its job... transferring heat energy from inside the unit back to the outside.

So, in essence, Commercial units are more efficient, durable and capable than their home counterparts.

Not unlike a good "ho" is for getting the job done in comparison to some Emo College girl.... hold it... no, college girls are still pretty good at getting the job done these days... from what I see.

CBQ
05-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Not unlike a good "ho" is for getting the job done in comparison to some Emo College girl.... hold it... no, college girls are still pretty good at getting the job done these days... from what I see.

Not only the funk master, but the master of the analogy as well! :-P First time I have seen commercial kitchen equipment compared to street walkers...

chopshop
05-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Because it's the law. :thumb:

not in NJ. they recommend that you have a commercial(nsf or ul) unit but it is not required.

thillin
05-13-2010, 08:54 PM
My fridge wasn't responding to the thermostat adjustments, so I ordered a new thermostat. It's very responsice after the swap. This is set on 5 on 1-10.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/thillin/DSCN5026.jpg

And my gas water heater arrived today as well.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/thillin/DSCN5030.jpg

And since it's energy start rater, it quatifies for a 30% tax credit:clap2:

KC_Bobby
05-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Can you give me a little info on that water heater?

thillin
05-13-2010, 10:16 PM
I got it from them on eBay $40 cheaper than their own site.

Excel 1.6 gpm LPG Ventfree tankless gas water heater 10002P1

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-6-gpm-LPG-Ventfree-tankless-gas-water-heater-10002P1-/260597310074?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3caccf627a

thillin
05-13-2010, 10:20 PM
Smoke'n Ice has the same heater set up to use the small 1lb LPG canisters.

KC_Bobby
05-13-2010, 10:53 PM
What kind of water source and pump are you using?

thillin
05-14-2010, 07:46 AM
What kind of water source and pump are you using?

Here is the pump he uses.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-pumps-water/shurflo-pump.htm

I plan on the same and will use a fresh water tank.

He said he also uses this accumulator:
http://www.superiorsupplyonline.com/shurfloaccumulators.html

KC_Bobby
05-14-2010, 08:11 AM
Thanks, that's basically the route I want to go in our trailer.

thillin
05-14-2010, 09:07 AM
I found 4x8 FRP panels at Lowes for $25 each. Anyone seen any cheaper?

KC_Bobby
05-14-2010, 09:14 AM
I was fortunate enough to find mine on craigslist when I needed them. A contractor had some extra from a project.

monty3777
05-14-2010, 09:16 AM
You have probably posted them before, but any pics of the trailer itself?

thillin
05-14-2010, 09:39 AM
You have probably posted them before, but any pics of the trailer itself?

They're somewhere. It's just a basic 6x10 Haulmark with a rooftop a/c at the moment. It has served me well at comps, but I want to be able to cater/vend as well.

thillin
05-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Bought the water pump, accumulator and a 21 gallon fresh water tank on eBay last night. Already have drain drops, PVC and elbows. Need to pick up a drain valve, input hose and external connection. As well as water line and connectors to start dry plumbing it.

thillin
05-30-2010, 02:14 PM
Water pump, accumulator and tank all arrived this week. With the help of a few emails from Mack, I should be able to make some good progess the next couple of weeks. Could probably finish in a week, but I'm working 60+ hours this week. Need to be able to pay for all this somehow...

Bbq Bubba
05-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Explain the purpose of the accumulator?

thillin
05-30-2010, 02:30 PM
It has an air bladded that can be adjusted if needed to help with consistant water pressure. It is also helps reduce the amount the pump cycles on and off.

thillin
05-30-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm also taking another one of Mack's ideas.

I'm adding a hose attachment off of the hot water line. I will be able to attach a hose to provide water ouside. Easy way to fill up the Spicewine water pan or clean up.

thillin
05-30-2010, 02:38 PM

BTW, I did get confirmation via email from my inspector. As long there is no leakage and I can clean around the tank as needed, tank can be inside the trailer.

Bbq Bubba
05-30-2010, 04:20 PM
I assume you'll just vent outside? Time for some more pics! :)BTW, I did get confirmation via email from my inspector. As long there is no leakage and I can clean around the tank as needed, tank can be inside the trailer.