PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Smokin in the Junction, West Des Moines IA May 29-30

Buster Dog BBQ
05-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Who's coming to West Des Moines and historic Valley Junction?

musicmanryann
05-05-2010, 01:04 PM
I just got the confirmation email from them. Looking forward to this, if only for the fact that the drive is 40 minutes from my house.

DMDon
05-05-2010, 01:15 PM
We're in. Did they open this up to more than the 30 teams advertised

Buster Dog BBQ
05-05-2010, 01:20 PM
We're in. Did they open this up to more than the 30 teams advertised
42 is what he said.

I hear ya Ryan. I have about 15 minutes to go.

Paola Greg
05-05-2010, 01:35 PM
I've requested information on it but not received yet. Is it a first year event.
We probably want to enter. ...

pat
05-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Dirty Pig will be there! Can't wait. Not sure I like the noon check-in time though.

musicmanryann
05-05-2010, 01:41 PM
I've requested information on it but not received yet. Is it a first year event.
We probably want to enter. ...

Here is where you can download the registration form:

http://www.valleyjunction.com/index.cfm?nodeID=10062&audienceID=1&action=detail&eventid=19941

I would fill it out and get it in asap, as I know they had a tough time making room for 42, but they have saig they are full. Let us know what you find out Greg.

Paola Greg
05-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks Ryan, I faxed the entry in, then got an email from Brian that they were full with a waiting list.
So, good luck to you all up there.

musicmanryann
05-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Thanks Ryan, I faxed the entry in, then got an email from Brian that they were full with a waiting list.
So, good luck to you all up there.

Well darn. Hopefully a spot opens up so you guys can make it.

Paola Greg
05-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Hopefully a spot opens up so you guys can make it.

Not interested in a waiting list Ryan, I think we'll head east that weekend over to Versailles, MO

Scottie
05-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Not interested in a waiting list Ryan, I think we'll head east that weekend over to Versailles, MO

Come on up to Westmont Greg... We'll have beefs... :wink:

BBQ_Mayor
05-05-2010, 02:33 PM
We're in.... I think. At least the money was sent in long ago.

musicmanryann
05-05-2010, 02:44 PM
One of you should have received a confirmation email this afternoon, Ray.

KC_Bobby
05-05-2010, 03:24 PM
We got our confirmation emails right before noon today.

DMDon
05-05-2010, 06:17 PM
This is starting to sound like a recipe for disaster. Packing 42 teams in a spot originally designed for 30 and then not letting anyone set up until noon. I envision teams finally getting into their spots at 3pm and then still having to set up and get meat inspected. I hope I am wrong.

Buster Dog BBQ
05-05-2010, 07:02 PM
This is starting to sound like a recipe for disaster. Packing 42 teams in a spot originally designed for 30 and then not letting anyone set up until noon. I envision teams finally getting into their spots at 3pm and then still having to set up and get meat inspected. I hope I am wrong.
Remember last year? The block to the east of Maple brought 3 streets together and everyone was coming in from three directions. It was a nightmare then and that was without anyone have a big trailer. They should at least make people come in one specific direction.

They did say meat inspectors on had asap when you setup.

Ponderosa BBQ
05-05-2010, 07:13 PM
The ponderosa will be there I'm planning a potluck dinner at my spot who's in and whatcha bringing.

Shotgun
05-05-2010, 08:55 PM
One of you should have received a confirmation email this afternoon, Ray.
Yes, we are in got the confirmation today. See you all there.

watertowerbbq
05-05-2010, 09:07 PM
I received my confirmation e-mail today. I can't wait!!! Really looking forward to seeing everyone and having a good time. Good luck to everyone.

From what I thought Brian Sweeney said earlier was that the 30 teams were going to be in a parking lot so I'm hoping that the 12 additional teams are on the street. If we are all on the street, it's going to be interesting setting up and getting out.

Buster Dog BBQ
05-05-2010, 09:13 PM
The ponderosa will be there I'm planning a potluck dinner at my spot who's in and whatcha bringing.
A spoon, fork and a plate.

KC_Bobby
05-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Anyone hear a reason we can't get in until noon? Not that the time is a big deal if teams were to come spuratically ... but I have this feeling many regulars will all be there in line by 11:30.

Buster Dog BBQ
05-05-2010, 10:19 PM
I looked at Google Maps and it looks like a nice size parking lot behind the main Valley Junction Drag. Housing on the other side of the street.

ModelMaker
05-06-2010, 04:58 PM
I had a confirmation to judge when we got back from camping today. Figureing on spending some time sayin "Howdie" Fri. night then tasting all the goodness Sat. morn.
See ya there.
Ed

Rookie'48
05-06-2010, 07:13 PM
I'll probably show up Friday evening to visit with everyone.

thenewguy
05-06-2010, 07:33 PM
You two can show up friday...but I ain't coming until saturday...
As for the check in time...I'm only abotu 7 minutes away so the mafia bus will be there @8am! The reason for the late check in(or so I was told) had to do with other "events" going on that day. I dunno. It's gonna be a nightmare regardless.

BBQ_Mayor
05-06-2010, 08:41 PM

I'm sure we'll be in for something Moe. Sounds like fun, will let you know later on what we'll bring.

Rod, why don't you just bring a feedbag.. Much easier and less messy.

watertowerbbq
05-06-2010, 09:59 PM

I'm in but not sure what just yet.

KC_Bobby
05-06-2010, 10:12 PM
Don - this one's on you to determine what we're bringing. Hopefully we'll have meat prepped by than. :becky:

Ponderosa BBQ
05-07-2010, 12:27 AM
I think im gonna roll out the griddle and do hot fresh ponderosa angus ribeye cheese steaks

BBQ_Mayor
05-24-2010, 08:16 AM
Anymore word on the parking situation at this contest? Is there map somewhere?

Buster Dog BBQ
05-24-2010, 08:37 AM
Anymore word on the parking situation at this contest? Is there map somewhere?
Brian told me yesterday all spots are 40 x 15 except one. I guess he just did the map yesterday.

PCDoctor_1979
05-24-2010, 08:52 AM
Just to address a few concerns I've seen in this thread today. We've been given permission by the City for a lot more space to accomodate the additional teams. The contest is not on 5th street like last year. Since all the spaces are the same size we have not pre-assigned spaces. You will get slotted in as you arrive and we will publish the map once all are settled in. There are three areas where teams will be placed with multiple entrances to each - should avoid the bottleneck we had last year with only one entrace to the cooking area. If your vehicle does not fit in the 40x15 space, there is another parking lot nearby as well as street parking available. Maps of the area went out with the cook's confirmation. You can PM me if you need another copy. The noon opening is part of the deal we made with the local merchants and police department with respect to closing 6th street. Payouts are being adjusted updwards since we are paying out all entry fees plus $5,000 in checks, trophies and ribbons. The final payout schedule will be in the cooks packet. Did I miss anyone's questions? Thanks for your interest and see you on Saturday!

Buster Dog BBQ
05-24-2010, 08:59 AM
Just to address a few concerns I've seen in this thread today. We've been given permission by the City for a lot more space to accomodate the additional teams. The contest is not on 5th street like last year. Since all the spaces are the same size we have not pre-assigned spaces. You will get slotted in as you arrive and we will publish the map once all are settled in. There are three areas where teams will be placed with multiple entrances to each - should avoid the bottleneck we had last year with only one entrace to the cooking area. If your vehicle does not fit in the 40x15 space, there is another parking lot nearby as well as street parking available. Maps of the area went out with the cook's confirmation. You can PM me if you need another copy. The noon opening is part of the deal we made with the local merchants and police department with respect to closing 6th street. Payouts are being adjusted updwards since we are paying out all entry fees plus $5,000 in checks, trophies and ribbons. The final payout schedule will be in the cooks packet. Did I miss anyone's questions? Thanks for your interest and see you on Saturday!
Thanks so much for posting this Brian. Is the lot the one right behind 5th street? And props to you for adjusting prize money. Another contest a few weeks ago had an extra 10-12 teams and did nothing with the additional entry fee money.

PCDoctor_1979
05-24-2010, 10:31 AM
Adjusting the prize money is just the right thing to do. We make our money from food and beverage concessions. The contest areas are the lot behind the buildings west side of the 100 block of 5th street and the grass lot on 6th.

Ponderosa BBQ
05-25-2010, 01:37 AM
Hey gang about the potluck I won't be able to do cheese steaks because I won't be able to arrive until around 6:00-6:30pm Ill bring something though.

BBQ_Mayor
05-25-2010, 06:29 AM
Hey gang about the potluck I won't be able to do cheese steaks because I won't be able to arrive until around 6:00-6:30pm Ill bring something though.

I was wondering about that when i heard you would be tearing up here from Mo. late in the afternoon.
Still at your site? Whats the main coarse?

KC_Bobby
05-25-2010, 08:27 AM
Let's figure out where the potluck will be after we all get set up and figure out who's centralized and has space. Depending on when we all get set up might play into this too.

My goal is to get our trailer on the road by about 6am to arrive DM by around 10.

pat
05-25-2010, 09:08 AM
I have a feeling there will be several of us hanging out by the Casey's until noon check-in time hits! :becky:

BBQ_Mayor
05-25-2010, 10:17 AM
Let's figure out where the potluck will be after we all get set up and figure out who's centralized and has space. Depending on when we all get set up might play into this too.

My goal is to get our trailer on the road by about 6am to arrive DM by around 10.

Good idea Bobby. :thumb:

My goal is to leave my place at 10am and get there about 10:45. :becky: It's nice to be close for a change.

musicmanryann
05-25-2010, 10:24 AM
I have a feeling there will be several of us hanging out by the Casey's until noon check-in time hits! :becky:

I'll be hanging out at the Tavern munchin on a pizza and sippin a cold one!:becky:

Buster Dog BBQ
05-25-2010, 10:26 AM
Where you guys at? I'm already here in line.:cool:

pat
05-25-2010, 10:35 AM
I'll be hanging out at the Tavern munchin on a pizza and sippin a cold one!:becky:

You buying? :thumb:

KC_Bobby
05-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Question - I'm not familiar with Valley Junction. Is there a competitor entrance and if so, what intersection?

Looks like the website took down some info for competitors, now the info focuses on the public. I don't recall getting this info yet from the organizer. Did I miss it?

Buster Dog BBQ
05-25-2010, 04:25 PM
Question - I'm not familiar with Valley Junction. Is there a competitor entrance and if so, what intersection?

Looks like the website took down some info for competitors, now the info focuses on the public. I don't recall getting this info yet from the organizer. Did I miss it?
Last year we entered on Maple from various directions. Brian said there will be multiple entrances.

KC_Bobby
05-25-2010, 06:31 PM
Anyone know the 3 locations teams will be parked in? Here's a Google map of the area. I assume the big lot along 6th street between Elm and Maple is one area. If each team gets 4 parking spots (pull through) that lot can get 20-25 teams in it.

Buster Dog BBQ
05-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Bob, I drove by there last night. Pretty big parking lot. I would guess he will park us like the North KC contest where you are in in a parking stall taking up a couple spots. If we are parked like BBQlossal then there is only room for 4 teams between the medians. With almost 50 teams that may only get 30 teams on the pavement. Now, there is a grass lot that is kitty corner from the southwest side. That I believe is overflow and so is some street parking.

cbagby64
05-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Any body know if turn ins will be in the same spot as last year? Hopefully you can cut threw the building if so, otherwise it looks like a long walk.

watertowerbbq
05-25-2010, 07:51 PM

Brian,
I have a few questions.

1. Do we all have to check in at the 6th and Maple and then we will be directed to the spots?

2. Are all of the spots on pavement or are some on the grass?

KC_Bobby
05-25-2010, 08:01 PM
Rod, I've never been to NKC - but I assume our spaces will be about 2 parking spaces wide and both parking spaces long to make 40' which will make all spaces pull though. Which will be important with a lot of teams pulling in right about the same time.

musicmanryann
05-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Rod, I've never been to NKC - but I assume our spaces will be about 2 parking spaces wide and both parking spaces long to make 40' which will make all spaces pull though. Which will be important with a lot of teams pulling in right about the same time.

And those of us who need extra help backing into even not so small spaces.:becky:

ModelMaker
05-25-2010, 08:38 PM
And those of us who need extra help backing into even not so small spaces.:becky:

And thus begins the problems of being a upper crust BBQ team.
Enjoy.
Ed

KC_Bobby
05-25-2010, 09:36 PM
Ryan, we all need help backing up at night in a downpour - especially when you're trying to get within inches of a Hummer.

Balls Casten
05-25-2010, 10:18 PM
Good news for the Castens ... no travel this weekend! So I may be hangin around if anyone needs a dish washer or trash hauler, I can be had cheap.

BBQ_Mayor
05-26-2010, 07:30 AM
Any body know if turn ins will be in the same spot as last year? Hopefully you can cut threw the building if so, otherwise it looks like a long walk.

I wasn't there last year. Where are the turn ins going to be? And will 6th street be blocked off? I'm assuming so since they plan to put teams there.

Info I saw put us in the 100 block so that would have us between Railroad Ave and Maple St.

cbagby64
05-26-2010, 08:21 AM
Last year 6th was closed, that's where they had the stage, vendors, inflatables, etc. Looks like it will be nice weather

Pyle's BBQ
05-27-2010, 01:39 AM
Last year 6th was closed, that's where they had the stage, vendors, inflatables, etc. Looks like it will be nice weather

It was 5th that was closed last year. We will be in the lots next to 6th from what I understand.

Thanks to Brian for getting all that were on the waiting list into the comp. Going from 30 to over 50 does make for some logistical nightmares.

Thank God I will not be flying solo this year. See you all on Saturday.

Doug, if you are look for a place to hang out, stop by, we will have at least one bottle of Maker's Mark.

monty3777
05-27-2010, 07:39 AM
Good luck to all you folks. I wish we could be there!

hondad
05-28-2010, 11:46 PM
if anybody could use some rookie help Saturday night or Sunday........i volunteer. not a competition guy, just a back yard smoker, but i would be glad to pitch in where needed if anyone needs an extra hand.

BBQ_Mayor
05-29-2010, 06:46 AM
if anybody could use some rookie help Saturday night or Sunday........i volunteer. not a competition guy, just a back yard smoker, but i would be glad to pitch in where needed if anyone needs an extra hand.

Don't need an extra hand but your welcome to swing by say hey.

watertowerbbq
05-29-2010, 07:21 AM

Stop by and say hi!

moocow
05-29-2010, 07:33 AM
Good luck guys, looks like its going to be a nice weekend!

Ken V
05-16-2011, 10:42 PM
My bad, thought this was this years.

TomB
05-17-2011, 08:41 PM
I'll be there this year. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

cbagby64
05-17-2011, 09:29 PM
We'll be there again. First comp of the year, can't wait!