PDA

View Full Version : Can't-miss BBQ joints while vising MIM?

kfx
04-30-2010, 02:20 PM
My buddies and I are going to the Memphis in May competition in 2 weeks, can't wait to party & eat some Memphis BBQ.

I've thoroughly researched all the legendary BBQ joints, but we have limited time and want to spend a lot of time at the competition, so if anyone has opinions on what places are can't-miss I'd love to hear them.

So far the top of my list is (I figure we'll be able to make 5-6 places):
Cozy Corner
Central BBQ
Rendezvous
Payne's Original
Germantown Commissary

Of course there's also Corky's, A&R, Leonard's Pit, both Neely's, BBQ Shop, Top's...any Memphis locals who can help me out?

deguerre
04-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Here's Diva-Q's blog entry on her Memphis trip with some restaurant reviews: http://divaq.ca/my-memphis-experience

deguerre
04-30-2010, 03:11 PM
If you have to leave out - I'd remove Rendevous, Corky's and Tops, even though I'm partial to Tops sauce.

TooSaucedToPork
05-02-2010, 06:48 AM
If you have to leave out - I'd remove Rendevous, Corky's and Tops, even though I'm partial to Tops sauce.

I would agree, except for Corky's...If you are just coming in to Memphis for the weekend it is definitely something to see...and eat

I would do:
Cozy Corner
Gus's Fried chicken
Corky's
Germantown Commisary
Central BBQ
BBQ Shop

but that is just me

I would also suggest going to eat at Natural Born Grillers in Southaven, but they will be competing, so I would go over there and get a little bite :-)

Neil Gallagher

Warthog
05-03-2010, 06:50 AM
There goes my diet!. Heading for Memphis on the 8th. Will be there 8 days so the wife and I should have plenty of time to take it all in.

ScreamingChicken
05-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Do you know where you're going to be staying? That might be a factor in your decisions.

When I was in Memphis 2 years ago the Pig-N-Whistle in Millington (http://www.pig-n-whistle.com/location_millington.asp) served our group of 45 some good food without advance notice, although the bar service was understandably slow.:wink:

Brad

TooSaucedToPork
05-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Remember all Brethren are invited to attend a meet and greet in booth R-78 starting around 5pm on Thursday...so there is some Ques for ya :-)

Neil