PDA

View Full Version : Other than KCBS

Texana
04-27-2010, 02:52 PM
I have lurked around here off and on for several years. Everyone seems to be friendly and pretty knowledgable and this is a good thing.

What I would like to do is see a little more discussion from time to time concerning some Texas events ... after all there must be a few Texans hanging around here that do events other than KCBS ....

So if your a TGCBCA, IBCA, LSBS etc .... chime on in ....

Now on to business ....

TGCBCA had a great cook off this past weekend. 33 Teams competed at the Texas Paralyzed Veterans Cookoff. It was a well run event as always with a lot of good cooks competeing.

Congratulations to Dennis May / Smoking in the Dark for his GC and Jan Canterbury / We Be Smokin Too for her RGC. I managed to pull in a 6th overall with a 5th Chicken and 5th Rib .... Also congrats to Darwin / Zilla for his 2nd place Rib ... with only 5 solo cooks under his belt he has managed to walk at least once in all of them.

This weekend we will be at Pappa's Ice House in Spring Texas cooking for a good cause. This one is to benefit Childrens' Kids Camp and is sanctioned by TGCBCA. If your in the area drop by and say hello.

So thats about all for now ... thanks for giving me a chance to talk about what we do here in Texas ....

Jorge
04-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Those names are familiar in Texas!:becky::laugh:

There are several members here that cook in Texas, and I'd like to see more folks that cook down here participate. I know that a couple of guys have made the trip down from KC to cook here in DFW the last couple of years and had a great time.

Thanks for lighting the fire, Craig!:becky:

ZILLA
04-27-2010, 03:07 PM
I agree Craig, and thanks for your encouragement in my cooking. I'll miss that fine waitress with the Vollyball body at Papa's Ice House this year. Give her a squeeze for me. I'm resting up for the Invitational. Oh by the way, I'm six for six, just for the record. :wink:

motoeric
04-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Sounds like a great event! Do you have any photos?

Eric

hcj3rd
04-27-2010, 04:37 PM
I have cooked in a couple TGCBA and IBCA events this year. They are always well run events with a lot of good cooks. I haven't had the success Texana and Zilla have had but I've come on a little bit lately. Of course Texana has been on a roll this year. GC last 2 years in a row at San Antonio Rodeo with 222 teams in 2009 and 241 teams in 2010. GC at Hold'em and Hit'em earlier this year with 121 teams. The boy can flat cook. I encourage everybody to come out and participate in our events if the logistics work out.

thillin
04-27-2010, 08:23 PM
There are a hundful of us IBCA cooks in North Texas. Tony76248 took Grand in Muenster this past weekend in a LSBS cook(122 cook). Chromesporty took 3rd in Chicken at Terrell State cookoff. Sometimes we just don't post as much as our comps aren't as popular here.

G$
04-27-2010, 09:16 PM
I think the discussion ratio is probably proportional to the number of contests out there. KCBS at the top, IBCA, FBA, MIM etc filling the rest.

FWIW, I'll be doing my second IBCA contest of the year this weekend. They are certainly growing on me.

swamprb
04-27-2010, 10:03 PM
I think the popularity of IBCA cooks is pretty cool, judging from the amount of teams participating in the events in Texas and a lot of West Coast events are having dual KCBS/IBCA cooks which makes me want to get on the ball and start to try to figure it out myself.

There have been a couple Whole Hog cooks at PNWBA events over the last couple years since I've been around, and I've heard there could be some KCBS or IBCA events along with the PNWBA one hour turn ins. That's something I'd need work on!

I've searched around the IBCA and TGCBBA sites but wasn't able to glean much info, and the lack of turn in box pics is kind of frustrating-but like one guy told me-"how many pics of ungarnished meat in a box do you need?" or "If your chicken tastes good leftover-it'll do well in IBCA".
I'd still be interested in checking out any links from any of the other associations, and its always a good thing to hear from the Brethren participants and their accomplishments. It may be regional, but its still BBQ!

thillin
04-27-2010, 10:39 PM
..I've searched around the IBCA and TGCBBA sites but wasn't able to glean much info, and the lack of turn in box pics is kind of frustrating-..

I try to post pics here after all my comps. Best I can do for you is 3rd place brisket, 4th place chicken and 9th place ribs.:becky:

And between IBCA & LSBS, there are more cookoffs in a 100 mile range than I can do.

ThomEmery
04-28-2010, 07:41 AM
Always more IBCA events being added
I am talking with a promoter about bringing the IBCA to the Northwest

Texana
04-28-2010, 07:52 AM
One thought I might add about photos ... one reason you might not see many posted is because one looks pretty much like another. For those that might not know TGCBCA, IBCA, LSBS etc do not use any type of garnish in their turn in trays ... We also turn in fully jointed chicken halves ... thus one tray with a chicken half looks like another, looks like another, looks like another .....

Texana
04-28-2010, 07:55 AM
.... Sometimes we just don't post as much as our comps aren't as popular here.

I think you are probably correct. My goal in starting this thread and others in the future was and will be to bring more awareness to our Texas style events.

And like Thom said IBCA is branching out in different directions. Thanks Thom for your IBCA events in CA .....

G$
04-28-2010, 09:22 AM
And like Thom said IBCA is branching out in different directions. Thanks Thom for your IBCA events in CA .....

As it stands now, FOUR IBCA events in Arizona this year.

Dustaway
04-28-2010, 01:15 PM
There are a hundful of us IBCA cooks in North Texas. Tony76248 took Grand in Muenster this past weekend in a LSBS cook(122 cook). Chromesporty took 3rd in Chicken at Terrell State cookoff. Sometimes we just don't post as much as our comps aren't as popular here.

Congratulations to Tony & Chromesporty I enjoy doing all of them with the exception of CTBA they can have all the bite sizes pieces

You keep that up Thom and you might be able to join the family :laugh:

thillin
04-28-2010, 10:06 PM
I'll try to post more about our area comps. And I'll include pics of turn in boxes as well.:becky:

Meat Burner
04-28-2010, 10:55 PM
I have lurked around here off and on for several years. Everyone seems to be friendly and pretty knowledgable and this is a good thing.

What I would like to do is see a little more discussion from time to time concerning some Texas events ... after all there must be a few Texans hanging around here that do events other than KCBS ....

So if your a TGCBCA, IBCA, LSBS etc .... chime on in ....

Now on to business ....

TGCBCA had a great cook off this past weekend. 33 Teams competed at the Texas Paralyzed Veterans Cookoff. It was a well run event as always with a lot of good cooks competeing.

Congratulations to Dennis May / Smoking in the Dark for his GC and Jan Canterbury / We Be Smokin Too for her RGC. I managed to pull in a 6th overall with a 5th Chicken and 5th Rib .... Also congrats to Darwin / Zilla for his 2nd place Rib ... with only 5 solo cooks under his belt he has managed to walk at least once in all of them.

This weekend we will be at Pappa's Ice House in Spring Texas cooking for a good cause. This one is to benefit Childrens' Kids Camp and is sanctioned by TGCBCA. If your in the area drop by and say hello.

So thats about all for now ... thanks for giving me a chance to talk about what we do here in Texas ....

Tesana, this forum seems to gravitate to the KCBS as it is so widespread. Maybe, more local Texas forums would serve you better.

Jorge
04-29-2010, 08:14 AM
Tesana, this forum seems to gravitate to the KCBS as it is so widespread. Maybe, more local Texas forums would serve you better.

Texana is aware of the forums you mention. His intent was to encourage more participation, on this forum, from cooks that do cook in Texas.

Based on numbers I expect that KCBS discussion will be dominant in terms of volume. There is still room for IBCA, TGCBCA, LSBS, NEBS, PNWBA, etc.. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to participate.

swamprb
04-29-2010, 10:27 AM

You might want to check out the PNWBA Calendar of Events to see where any IBCA events might fit in. As it stands now, the saying goes, "we're contest rich, but cooker poor!".