PDA

View Full Version : Pigs not hogs

Meat Burner
04-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Our club is puttin on their 4th KCBS competion event in August and the promotors wants to do a hog comp. They want me to put it together and I have no clue. There will only be about a dozen, or less entries so want to keep it simple. How would you all handle this as our first pig comp. This will be small pigs, dressed out about 40 - 50 lbs furnished to the teams.
I know this is a big question, but we need this to be simple as the first time out. Thanks brethren but KISS!

Bentley
04-30-2010, 12:43 PM
What specifically did you want to know? Scoring, presentation, cooking times…

Meat Burner
05-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Hey Bentley. When would the on-site judges go to the site? I was thinking of having all the judges go at once to judge for appearance and then have the teams turn in a box, without garnish, to be judged on taste and tenderness. What times would you suggest to do this? The normal KCBS turn in times will begin at 11:30 or 12:00 on Saturday. I simply do not know how best to do this. Thanks.

TN_BBQ
05-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Do it the way you'd do pulled pork. Request that they include meat from the loin AND the limbs (ham or shoulder) Normally they'd turn in from all 3 regions, but a tiny lil hog won't have much meat on the hams or shoulders.

One of the issues with cooking a hog is trying to determine which piece of the hog to put into the box for judging. Difficulty in cooking a hog is getting it to cook evenly.

Meat Burner
05-01-2010, 11:55 AM
Thank TN brother. This will be a pretty informal category. Was thinking of having the judges do their presentation judging about 90 minutes before normal turn-ins and the meat to the judges in a box for taste/tenderness about 45 minutes after that. Does that sound reasonable? Or would you do the judging after the competition categories?

Bbq Bubba
05-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Who are you gonna have on site judge if your using KCBS judges?
Are the pigs being furnished for free?
Is there prize money involved.
Real P.I A. to cook a pig, even a small one with the other 4 meats going.

Meat Burner
05-01-2010, 09:22 PM
I agree Bubba. It wasn't my call to include the hog entry. The judges will be KCBS CBJ's and we'll see how it goes. The pigs are furnished to the team free of charge but they have to turn it in after the judging for public sampling. No money, just a trophy, at least for this year. The turn in time is a real concern. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bbq Bubba
05-01-2010, 10:14 PM
I agree Bubba. It wasn't my call to include the hog entry. The judges will be KCBS CBJ's and we'll see how it goes. The pigs are furnished to the team free of charge but they have to turn it in after the judging for public sampling. No money, just a trophy, at least for this year. The turn in time is a real concern. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

That makes it even tougher since those teams will need HD licensing.

Good luck bro!

Meat Burner
05-01-2010, 11:43 PM
Thanks Bubba. The HD is okay as they keep pretty close tabs of what is going on. They are not a$$ holes and are really pretty helpful as long as you don't do something stupid. The HD folk don't just look for something wrong, they give advise as how to proceed per the competition. If you just as them what to do, they will help you through it. Maybe we are lucky around here for the competitions as I know they are really strict with the restaurants, as they should be.

Bentley
05-02-2010, 11:08 AM
I think you got some good answers...Can't ad much more, hope it works for you!