PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Kingsford Event question?

Derek
04-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Ok this is going to be a real comp and I will have a 22.5 wsm smoker for butt, so my question is this.

I know there is a $200 event fee to get in, and I wanted to know if I can just do a butt and loose out on points in the other 3 catagories?

I will do this for a while until I can buy 2 wsm's but right now I'm building up my team equipment slowly and want to stay in one category for now.

May I do that?

MilitantSquatter
04-25-2010, 07:12 PM
sure you can..

but even with a 22" WSM you could potentially manage all four categories with minimal meat per category, proper timing and holding in a cooler to keep warm until turn in's.

ex. 1 or 2 butts on top shelf, 1 brisket on bottom shelf. When ribs go on in AM, you can squeeze in 1 or 2 rolled up ribs then open them up when butts or brisket are done and put in warming cooler.. chix can go on later or cook on your smokey joe.

Derek
04-25-2010, 07:15 PM
sure you can..

but even with a 22" WSM you could potentially manage all four categories with minimal meat per category, proper timing and holding in a cooler to keep warm until turn in's.True true, However the money will be tough for all the meats right now. and I really want to hone my chops in the butt category and then the brisket and move up slowly as I win more and more.

Thank you for anwsering my q's MS.

MilitantSquatter
04-25-2010, 07:18 PM
True true, However the money will be tough for all the meats right now. and I really want to hone my chops in the butt category and then the brisket and move up slowly as I win more and more.

Thank you for anwsering my q's MS.

you can do that but I'd figure out how to make it happen..

just cut back on all your mid week cooking for a short while !! 1 brisket, one rack of ribs and 6-8 pcs of chicken may only cost $30 and you get the thrill of cooking all categories.

Don't get so caught up in winning this early in the game.. Consistent wins usually take time and focusing too hard on this can take the fun out of it for a rookie comp cook just getting started.

Derek
04-25-2010, 07:20 PM
you can do that but I'd figure out how to make it happen..

just cut back on all your mid week cooking for a short while !! 1 brisket, one rack of ribs and 6-8 pcs of chicken may only cost $30 and you get the thrill of cooking all categories.

Don't get so caught up in winning this early in the game.. Wins are few and far between for many and I can speak from experience that for some doing comps just for the win can take the fun out of it after a while.Thank you for your wisdom and advice MS.

I will do what you said but for the first 2 events as my own team competes I will keep it simple, and then as soon as I pay my mom back from the $600 for the kingsford event, I will go ahead and add more meats.

Thank you ( may I call you bro )?

MilitantSquatter
04-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Thank you for your wisdom and advice MS.

I will do what you said but for the first 2 events as my own team competes I will keep it simple, and then as soon as I pay my mom back from the $600 for the kingsford event, I will go ahead and add more meats.

Thank you ( may I call you bro )?

you're welcome..

bro is so impersonal... I prefer Mr. Squatter :wink: :becky:

Ron_L
04-25-2010, 07:24 PM
You have time. The competition is 3 months away. Maybe you can find someone to help you with the meat costs. I don't know how long of a drive it is for you, but it seems a shame to go there, go through the setup, etc., and not cook all four categories.

But don't let us talk you into something that you aren't comfortable with.

Derek
04-25-2010, 07:31 PM
You have time. The competition is 3 months away. Maybe you can find someone to help you with the meat costs. I don't know how long of a drive it is for you, but it seems a shame to go there, go through the setup, etc., and not cook all four categories.

But don't let us talk you into something that you aren't comfortable with.Thank you Ron, Please forgive my bad grammar. but let me explain.

I just want to EASE into events and all this comp stuff slowly and hone my chops as I go alone, and When I more comfy with the whole event process I will add each catagory in due time.

And I will still go to other events and learn as well.

That's my plan for attack!

Frank Sacco
04-25-2010, 07:57 PM
Thank you Ron, Please forgive my bad grammar. but let me explain.

I just want to EASE into events and all this comp stuff slowly and hone my chops as I go alone, and When I more comfy with the whole event process I will add each catagory in due time.

Derek,
You've captured the attention of many people here on the board. By no means will anyone point you in the wrong direction or give you bad advice. I understand that you're looking to ease into the 4 categories and money is an issue. However, I see your plan of attack as being a little off. Talk to a few friends and see if they would be willing to form a BBQ team. With your current plan you are spending $200 entry to cook $15.00 worth of meat. If you have your brother and two other guys cooking with you, you can split the expenses four ways. Then the financial burder of competion cooking is reduced three quarters. Food for thought...

Solidkick
04-25-2010, 08:07 PM
Thank you Ron, Please forgive my bad grammar. but let me explain.

Derek, I don't like your thinking on easing into competitive cooking one category at a time. You spend 200.00 to enter to cook one category that might pay 250.00 for that category if you win 1st place. There will be an average of 30 to 60 others going after that same prize money in that category. They will be much better competitors than you.
This is a very expense hobby at the competition level. Your Mom's 200.00 would be better served by you practice cooking and donating the product to the Salvation Army or the Food Bank that spending it at a competition.

Hone your skills this year, think about competitive cooking next year.

Coz
04-25-2010, 08:16 PM
More food for thought .It can be done but have you looked at the entries for the Kingsford event? Last year Team of the year winner Pellet Envy Quau Cancer Sucks Chicago last years winners Pork of the North Capt Ron and so on and I will bet there will be a lot more multiple time winners these are just the ones listed on the website as entered now. I dont want to discourage you from trying just be realistic with your goals.If your banking on winning money and competing in only one class chances are slim.I wish you the best.

Derek
04-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Thank you guys, I got plenty of time to think about and I will give it good thinking.
I wish Jerry would want to do the kingsford event, I would ask Ask him but if I remember correctly I he said hes going to be busy for a while.

Derek
04-25-2010, 08:26 PM
Hey guys, Are there any other Michigan comps I can join where the entry fee will not be so much and I still can smoke butt or chicken or what ever the event is?

Thank you for listing to me.

Ron_L
04-25-2010, 08:38 PM
Here is the list of Michigan competitions for this year. You'll have to check out their web sites. Some will let you pay for only one category. Also, check with the organizer for the Kingsford comp. Maybe he'll let you enter only one category for $50 or so.

http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?x=0&y=0&str=mi&fromDate=05%2F01%2F2010&toDate=12%2F31%2F2010

Coz, thanks for including us in your list of teams. I'm not sure we belong in that list, but we're going to do our best to get our first GC this year.

Frank Sacco
04-25-2010, 08:39 PM
Derek check out the link I've attached. It's all the KCBS santioned comps in Michigan. Check the list and see what's best for you.

http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?str=MI&fromDate=mm%2Fdd%2Fyy&toDate=mm%2Fdd%2Fyy&x=0&y=0 (http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?str=MI&fromDate=mm%2Fdd%2Fyy&toDate=mm%2Fdd%2Fyy&x=0&y=0)

Coz
04-25-2010, 08:59 PM
Here is the list of Michigan competitions for this year. You'll have to check out their web sites. Some will let you pay for only one category. Also, check with the organizer for the Kingsford comp. Maybe he'll let you enter only one category for $50 or so.

http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?x=0&y=0&str=mi&fromDate=05%2F01%2F2010&toDate=12%2F31%2F2010

Coz, thanks for including us in your list of teams. I'm not sure we belong in that list, but we're going to do our best to get our first GC this year.

My Friend RGC at Shannon is most likely worth more then all our GCs

BBQ Grail
04-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Derek,
You've captured the attention of many people here on the board. By no means will anyone point you in the wrong direction or give you bad advice. I understand that you're looking to ease into the 4 categories and money is an issue. However, I see your plan of attack as being a little off. Talk to a few friends and see if they would be willing to form a BBQ team. With your current plan you are spending $200 entry to cook $15.00 worth of meat. If you have your brother and two other guys cooking with you, you can split the expenses four ways. Then the financial burder of competion cooking is reduced three quarters. Food for thought...

Derek, I don't like your thinking on easing into competitive cooking one category at a time. You spend 200.00 to enter to cook one category that might pay 250.00 for that category if you win 1st place. There will be an average of 30 to 60 others going after that same prize money in that category. They will be much better competitors than you.
This is a very expense hobby at the competition level. Your Mom's 200.00 would be better served by you practice cooking and donating the product to the Salvation Army or the Food Bank that spending it at a competition.

Hone your skills this year, think about competitive cooking next year.

Derek,

My 2 cents worth...

Hone you skills at home, don't spend that kind of money to cook one meat category. Listen to the sage advice of these two guys.

Derek
04-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Thank you everyone, I've decided to take the advice of everyone here and NOT enter the Kingsford comp until I can afford all 4 meat catagories.

Jerry agreed to let me help him in the next 4 - 6 events so I will have my work cut out me.

Thank you guys for answering all my qtastic questions.

sfisch
04-26-2010, 07:29 AM
Derek,
Just got word this weekend that there will be a 1 day non-sanctioned event in Charlevoix, right near you, on July 2 or 3rd. The entry fee should be very affordable but I think its going to be ribs only.
Keep an eye on the GLBBQA site, I will be updating it as I get the new info.

Scott

Frank Sacco
04-26-2010, 07:34 AM
Thank you everyone, I've decided to take the advice of everyone here and NOT enter the Kingsford comp until I can afford all 4 meat catagories.

Jerry agreed to let me help him in the next 4 - 6 events so I will have my work cut out me.

Thank you guys for answering all my qtastic questions.

you will find that helping Jerry is priceless knowledge. Pay attention to what he has to say, his technique, then apply it to your cooking style. You will walk away from each event feeling more confident! Good luck!!

p.s. You made the right decision

Derek
04-26-2010, 07:42 AM
you will find that helping Jerry is priceless knowledge. Pay attention to what he has to say, his technique, then apply it to your cooking style. You will walk away from each event feeling more confident! Good luck!!

p.s. You made the right decisionThank you Frank, I will do that. and I've all ready learned a lot from Jerry, And I'm literely learning to cook texen style. Since he was orginally from Texas.

but it's going to be sad to miss 1-2 events I really love doing it. Yeah I know I've only got one event under my belt but dayam, I think I got bit by the bug bad!

Oh yes Frank, I have to get a few more outside kitchen gadgets for the team as well so that money that was going to be spent on the kingsford event will be spent on getting 3 tubs, and storage bins and so on.

Thank you so much guys for talking me out of for "NOW"

Spydermike72
04-26-2010, 10:29 AM
Derek, just some words of advice. Keep an eye out for one day events this year like the Rib Burns that Scott mentioned above. Also Silver Lake in September has a backyard event that would be a good event for a beginner to get started in. Comps are a lot of money and if you dont have some family/friends to spread the costs around you are going to spend alot of money.

We all know how bad the bug can bite, but you have to think about these things as well.

Derek
04-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Derek, just some words of advice. Keep an eye out for one day events this year like the Rib Burns that Scott mentioned above. Also Silver Lake in September has a backyard event that would be a good event for a beginner to get started in. Comps are a lot of money and if you dont have some family/friends to spread the costs around you are going to spend alot of money.

We all know how bad the bug can bite, but you have to think about these things as well.Will do, maybe these single day events will get my skillz up and hopefully place period :)

Scottie
04-26-2010, 11:39 AM
More food for thought .It can be done but have you looked at the entries for the Kingsford event? Last year Team of the year winner Pellet Envy Quau Cancer Sucks Chicago last years winners Pork of the North Capt Ron and so on and I will bet there will be a lot more multiple time winners these are just the ones listed on the website as entered now. I dont want to discourage you from trying just be realistic with your goals.If your banking on winning money and competing in only one class chances are slim.I wish you the best.

Man, what are all those sandbaggers going there for? At least I won the free entry at the banquet... :thumb:

Spydermike72
04-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Man, what are all those sandbaggers going there for? At least I won the free entry at the banquet... :thumb:

I can only guess that it is part of the Kingsford Challenge ?? :-D

Derek
04-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Oh yes guys, This will help me learn on my new wsm, I'm getting it before the rib fest.

Should I salt the crap out of the ribs before turn in time? ( I thought I salted the chickens to the point they were salt blocks but the judges had other plans.)

Solidkick
04-26-2010, 12:19 PM
Derek:
I don't know how close you live the Detroit area, but a really good first step in competitive cooking is taking a judging class....with your dietary restrictions, I don't know what taste benefit you would be able to get, but you would learn some other tips.

http://www.kcbs.us/classes.php?type=j&year=2010&month=06&id=2190&db=k

Derek
04-26-2010, 12:46 PM
Derek:
I don't know how close you live the Detroit area, but a really good first step in competitive cooking is taking a judging class....with your dietary restrictions, I don't know what taste benefit you would be able to get, but you would learn some other tips.

http://www.kcbs.us/classes.php?type=j&year=2010&month=06&id=2190&db=kLeast I would be able to put a better turn in box, be able to see what winning chicken looks like and so on :)

Ron_L
04-26-2010, 01:53 PM
Least I would be able to put a better turn in box, be able to see what winning chicken looks like and so on :)

I wouldn't plan on getting that out of a judging class :-D Typically there are a couple of people putting together all of the boxes for the mock judging part of the class. They have to put together many boxes, so none of them will be representative of what a winning entry would look (or taste) like.

Also, the biggest part of judging is taste and tenderness and both require that you take at least on bite of each entry. With your dietary restrictions do you think you can handle 6 bites of chicken, 6 bites of ribs, 6 bites of pork and 6 bites of brisket over a 90 minute (roughly) period? My guess is no. Before signing up for a judging class you should talk to the instructor to see how they feel about you taking the class but not tasting the food. Frankly, I doubt you would get much out of it. The judging class talks about judging criteria, rules, etc. and doesn't cover putting together a box. You should look at a competition cooking class for that type of info.

Ron_L
04-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Should I salt the crap out of the ribs before turn in time? ( I thought I salted the chickens to the point they were salt blocks but the judges had other plans.)

Since none of us have tasted your chicken, there is no way we can answer that question. Did any of the teams around you taste your chicken? What was their opinion of the salt level? Since you are used to very low sodium, what my be a salt block to you may still need more salt to the average person. OR, you could have overcompensated and they really were salt blocks :-D. Also, did you taste any chicken from other teams, and if so, where did they place? If they did well then you have an idea of what the judges were looking for on that day. That doesn't mean that they will like the same thing at the next competition.

Derek
04-26-2010, 02:04 PM
I wouldn't plan on getting that out of a judging class :-D Typically there are a couple of people putting together all of the boxes for the mock judging part of the class. They have to put together many boxes, so none of them will be representative of what a winning entry would look (or taste) like.

Also, the biggest part of judging is taste and tenderness and both require that you take at least on bite of each entry. With your dietary restrictions do you think you can handle 6 bites of chicken, 6 bites of ribs, 6 bites of pork and 6 bites of brisket over a 90 minute (roughly) period? My guess is no. Before signing up for a judging class you should talk to the instructor to see how they feel about you taking the class but not tasting the food. Frankly, I doubt you would get much out of it. The judging class talks about judging criteria, rules, etc. and doesn't cover putting together a box. You should look at a competition cooking class for that type of info.You got a point, That would be too much, I can do taste in 1 bite though ( I got super taste buds ) And I can prove that to anyone!

Since none of us have tasted your chicken, there is no way we can answer that question. Did any of the teams around you taste your chicken? What was their opinion of the salt level? Since you are used to very low sodium, what my be a salt block to you may still need more salt to the average person. OR, you could have overcompensated and they really were salt blocks :-D. Also, did you taste any chicken from other teams, and if so, where did they place? If they did well then you have an idea of what the judges were looking for on that day. That doesn't mean that they will like the same thing at the next competition.A few people did and they tasted my chicken wings, A lot who tasted the chicken said it was good and could have went for more, It could keep the bite out though they said.

they really liked my dr pepper sauce & my hot sauce the best though.

Bbq Bubba
04-26-2010, 03:24 PM
Speaking of wings....WTF happened to the wings at the potluck???

Did i miss them? :tsk:

Derek
04-26-2010, 03:54 PM
Speaking of wings....WTF happened to the wings at the potluck???

Did i miss them? :tsk:They got goobled up in a heart beat and there was any left.

I'll make you some next time I see you.

2Fat
04-26-2010, 04:32 PM
More food for thought .It can be done but have you looked at the entries for the Kingsford event? Last year Team of the year winner --- I dont want to discourage you from trying just be realistic with your goals.

well goldarn it you have got me reconsidering investing retirement money on a trip up north!!-<sf>

Ron_L
04-26-2010, 05:59 PM
It could keep the bite out though they said.

I'm afraid I don't know what that means.

Diva Q
04-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Check Craigslist too !! You never know what you will find - helped me out many times on a tight budget.

Coz
04-26-2010, 06:19 PM
for those of you who know John Bertoldi who is known on this site as Boss Hog also happens to be the organizer of the UP hog Wild contest is in the hospital with chest pains getting tests .Our thoughts and prayers go out to John .

Coz
04-26-2010, 06:21 PM

I asked Rod once if he was chasing Kingsford points but never got a reply.

Derek
04-26-2010, 07:33 PM
I'm afraid I don't know what that means.That the hot sauce was a little 2 hot.

Ford
04-26-2010, 07:43 PM
for those of you who know John Bertoldi who is known on this site as Boss Hog also happens to be the organizer of the UP hog Wild contest is in the hospital with chest pains getting tests .Our thoughts and prayers go out to John .
thanks for the post. Prayers out to John. I was goingto call and finalize vending plans at the contest this week but will wait until next. I'm in just need to get papwerwork finished.

Derek
04-26-2010, 07:44 PM
thanks for the post. Prayers out to John. I was goingto call and finalize vending plans at the contest this week but will wait until next. I'm in just need to get papwerwork finished.It was nice to meet you Ford, and was nice chatting with you!

Ron_L
04-26-2010, 07:56 PM
That the hot sauce was a little 2 hot.

You put hot sauce on your thighs for turn in?

Derek
04-26-2010, 07:58 PM
You put hot sauce on your thighs for turn in?Yes, but we deluted it with the dr pepper sauce though. Too me Jerry, my brother clay & his wife it wasn't hot!

Spydermike72
04-27-2010, 09:00 AM
John is in our thoughts and prayers.

Derek
04-27-2010, 09:15 AM
John is in our thoughts and prayers.Same as mine, I hate it when people gets sick.

On a side note, I've decided to stay with chicken, chicken thighs, chicken wings, and ribs for now to get my feet wet after reading everyones post.

AS soon as I get all the proper equipment and some people I will go ahead and compete in the next years kings ford event.

Stoke&Smoke
04-27-2010, 09:27 AM
Thoughts and prayers sent out to John,

just getting ready to send in our app for this one

Coz
04-27-2010, 04:08 PM
I got a message saying John had a new Stint put in and should be returning home this afternoon.

Derek
04-27-2010, 04:12 PM
I got a message saying John had a new Stint put in and should be returning home this afternoon.Oh I know how he feels about the stint, I already have one installed and a pace maker.

My prayers go out to him!

Boss Hog Wild
05-15-2010, 11:23 PM
Hey folks, just stumbled on this thread while checking some other information. Thank you for your thoughts and wishes. I got one bad spot and they have to keep going in and re-stenting the damn thing because scar tissue forms..... an old left over from too many rads.... In any case.. the roto-ruter man has me back in action. I believe I talked to Derek either on the phone or in an email. We didn't get to this much depth in our conversation. Now that I read all of this, I am glad that all of you were there to give him such sound advice. I hope that I will get to see a lot of you in Kingsford. And Derek... they're all good eggs. That's one of the great things about this sport...... the friends you make along the way.