PDA

View Full Version : list of must haves for a comp

Goddahavit
04-25-2010, 08:43 AM
I have seen the checklists, but i need to know what are must haves?

I know i need a fire extinguisher , I just read i need a wash setup? 3 tubs or something?

Where can i find out this stuff?
Thanks, Eric

Red Valley BBQ
04-25-2010, 09:07 AM
The 2010 KCBS rules state:

17) The following cleanliness and safety rules will apply:
a. No use of any tobacco products while handling meat.
b. Cleanliness of the cook, assistant cooks, cooking
device(s) and the team’s assigned cooking space is
required.
c. Shirt and shoes are required to be worn.
d. Sanitizing of work area should be implemented with
the use of a bleach/water rinse (one cap/gallon of
water). Each contestant will provide a separate
container for washing, rinsing and sanitizing of
utensils.
e. First aid is not required to be provided by the contest,
except at the election of the contest organizer.

I would recommend 3 tubs for cleaning of utensils (bus tubs work well), fire extinguisher, a first aid kit, and a metal bucket to collect and hot ashes in so they can be disposed of properly.

The complete rules are on the KCBS website, but it you are not a member, you can't get to the part of the website where it is listed. PM your email if you need a copy of the rules. There is also a sheet called "Your First Cookoff" which is a wealth of information, which I could also send to you.

Goddahavit
04-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Thanks, much appreciated, i'll check it out.

eric

Bayou Boogie BBQ
04-25-2010, 09:23 AM
Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get you one of those plastic utility sinks with the removable legs. Put a 5 gallon bucket underneath to catch the water and you have yourself a great setup to wash stuff. It always worked for me.

Ron_L
04-25-2010, 10:11 AM
The rules and the cook's handbook are right here on the Brethren..

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13877

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and get you one of those plastic utility sinks with the removable legs. Put a 5 gallon bucket underneath to catch the water and you have yourself a great setup to wash stuff. It always worked for me.

You still need two other bins for rinse and sanitize according to the rules.

Let's see... Other essentials...

Tables
leg extenders to get one table up to counter height
chairs
ez-up or similar
some way to heat water (very nice for cleanup on cold days)
instant read thermometer
sharp knives
welding gloves for handling hot smoker parts
insulated food handling gloves

There is lots more :-D

nthole
04-25-2010, 01:58 PM
Best bet is to look through all the checklists and see what is common across them. Some people have trailers, some have easy-ups, some have pole canopies, but in the end, we've all got a lot of the basic stuff.

Also head out to a comp with a notepad and just start writing down all the stuff you see teams using.

If you'd like our checklist you can PM me.

biggs98
04-25-2010, 02:50 PM
COLD BEER!!!!!:clap2:

ShutYrMouth
04-25-2010, 02:59 PM
beat me to it biggs
food just doesnt turn out correctly without some
:thumb:

2Fat
04-25-2010, 04:22 PM
and you need a back-up plan for when something essential to your cooking doesn't work, breaks, etc--some redundancy is necessary!! And if you depend on electricity for your cooking bring your own--just in case!

Smoke'n Ice
04-25-2010, 05:21 PM
COLD BEER!!!!!:clap2:
Now this covers a lot of territory. There is near beer (examples are Bud, Bud Lite, etc) that were once in the same area as real beer and then there is the National Beer of Texas, SHINER BOCK, the only good beer for competition:boxing:

Check on weather forecast for area and pack accordingly. Ie: Hot, Cold, Rain, Mud and, as others have said, after you do YOUR check list, do a cookoff in your back yard and add anything that you had to go back inside for and eliminate anything you did not use.

Bayou Boogie BBQ
04-25-2010, 05:52 PM
"You still need two other bins for rinse and sanitize according to the rules."

I think this rule is open to interpretation. I've been to many events where most of the cooks washed their dishes at a community water hose. 3 compartment sinks are required by health departments for Vendors and caterers where I live. The Fire Marshalls almost always come by to check my extinquisher, but I've never been asked if I have 3 seperate bins by anyone. Any event organizers on here want to tell us what you require at your events, or if it's something that's checked? I don't think you have to have 3 bins if you are not going to re-use your utensils or pans at the event. But I could be wrong...wouldnt be the first time.

Coz
04-25-2010, 06:08 PM

I think this rule is open to interpretation. I've been to many events where most of the cooks washed their dishes at a community water hose. 3 compartment sinks are required by health departments for Vendors and caterers. I've never been asked if I have 3 seperate bins. Any event organizers on here want to tell us what you require at your events, or if it's something that's checked? I'd like some clarification if possible.

Interprete it how you may if its a KCBS contest rule 17d states each contestant will provide a seperate container for washing,rinsing and sanitizing of utinsels.
And we have been checked at several contests for 3 tubs.

Bayou Boogie BBQ
04-25-2010, 06:14 PM
Interprete it how you may if its a KCBS contest rule 17d states each contestant will provide a seperate container for washing,rinsing and sanitizing of utinsels.
And we have been checked at several contests for 3 tubs.

Nothing is that cut and dry. For instance, if I use only disposable pans and utensils, do I still need a 3 compartment sink? Or what if I don't plan on using my pans again and through them into a plastic bin to bring home and wash later? Is the 3 bins still necessary?

Ron_L
04-25-2010, 06:16 PM

I think this rule is open to interpretation. I've been to many events where most of the cooks washed their dishes at a community water hose. 3 compartment sinks are required by health departments for Vendors and caterers where I live. The Fire Marshalls almost always come by to check my extinquisher, but I've never been asked if I have 3 seperate bins by anyone. Any event organizers on here want to tell us what you require at your events, or if it's something that's checked? I don't think you have to have 3 bins if you are not going to re-use your utensils or pans at the event. But I could be wrong...wouldnt be the first time.

I have been asked at competitions before, so why take a chance? To me, the rule is pretty clear...

Each contestant will provide a separate
container for washing, rinsing and sanitizing of
utensils.

Now if you aren't going to re-use anything and won't be washing at all, maybe you'd be OK without these. It's so easy to have three bus tubs (or similar), or a sink and two bus tubs to be sure that you are compliant.

Goddahavit
04-25-2010, 06:18 PM
I picked up 3 small containers, big enough for utensils, i didn't see anything on how large the tubs needed to be.
i also picked up a small camping table on clearance as i don't want to loose any table space as it seems to be in premium.

Test cook this weekend, first time for all 4 meats to the turn in schedule.

boy time does get short in between turn ins doesn't it!
Eric.

Ron_L
04-25-2010, 06:31 PM

Yes it does :-D At some point, however, you'll work out a system that suits you and it will get easier.

Bayou Boogie BBQ
04-25-2010, 06:54 PM
Eric.

But it's one heck of an adrenaline rush! You're gonna love it.

Derek
04-25-2010, 07:38 PM
List from what I've seen.

*Tongs.
*Tables
*Bins for water ( 3 of them )
*Money / Drinks / personal food.
*Rubs / Spices / Containers for kitchen ware.
*Thermo Probes ( 3 of them one may break )
*Turkey fryer to start your chimney / boil water / exedra..
*Lights / portable power / tents/ ez up canupies / exedra.
* Knifes / towels / soap / hand wipes.
*hooch / jim / makers mark / beer.

Coz
04-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Nothing is that cut and dry. For instance, if I use only disposable pans and utensils, do I still need a 3 compartment sink? Or what if I don't plan on using my pans again and through them into a plastic bin to bring home and wash later? Is the 3 bins still necessary?

Do as you wish.. $6 worth of bus tubs Vs possible being sent home The rule state you will have them.

Bayou Boogie BBQ
04-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Lighten up Coz. I never said I didnt have em. I just think it's an odd rule that deserves discussion. But that's me. I like to ask questions. That's supposedly the best way to learn stuff.

Burk504
04-27-2010, 08:35 AM
These are the two best checklists I've found. Might help.

http://www.smokingunsbbq.com/docs/checklist.pdf

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pt_uavAC5mGFvCj1eSkhPCA

Jeff_in_KC
04-27-2010, 08:48 AM
Lighten up Coz. I never said I didnt have em. I just think it's an odd rule that deserves discussion. But that's me. I like to ask questions. That's supposedly the best way to learn stuff.

When it comes to people's safety and health, no rule is odd. There are a lot of things they have left open to interpretation in the KCBS rules because of the way they are (or aren't) written - which they seem to be working on gradually - but this doesn't seem to be one of them.

JD McGee
04-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Game plan / timeline...what you need to do...and when you need to do it. :cool:

big brother smoke
04-27-2010, 11:52 AM
Music

SmokinOkie
04-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Use the KCBS rules for what you HAVE to have. Doesn't matter if we say you need X number of tubs, but the rep on site will use those rules. Biggest things I've seen are the tubs, bleach water and a fire extinguisher.

Your question is pretty hard to answer since it depends on how much of an "A" type you are; do you need everything, do you need just a little.

The best way to find out is do a practice cook. Do it in your backyard after looking at the checklists.

Figure out what you need for personal comfort (tents, chairs, lights, powers, water, food, beer, etc)

Figure what you need for the contest (smoker(s), meats, rubs, sauces.

The hard part to answer is what tools you're need to do the work.

Set up in your backyard, practice (you need to practice timing) and then add or subtract from the checklist items you need / don't need.

Russ

thillin
04-27-2010, 12:38 PM
I use a 5 day 5 gallon cooler to store my hot water in. I can fill it with hot water on Friday afternoon and it stays hot through Sat afternoon. If for some reason it starts to cool, a gallon of hot water of the turkey fryer makes it last. Still too hot to handle most of the time.

Goddahavit
04-27-2010, 01:39 PM
Use the KCBS rules for what you HAVE to have. Doesn't matter if we say you need X number of tubs, but the rep on site will use those rules. Biggest things I've seen are the tubs, bleach water and a fire extinguisher.

Your question is pretty hard to answer since it depends on how much of an "A" type you are; do you need everything, do you need just a little.

The best way to find out is do a practice cook. Do it in your backyard after looking at the checklists.

Figure out what you need for personal comfort (tents, chairs, lights, powers, water, food, beer, etc)

Figure what you need for the contest (smoker(s), meats, rubs, sauces.

The hard part to answer is what tools you're need to do the work.

Set up in your backyard, practice (you need to practice timing) and then add or subtract from the checklist items you need / don't need.

Russ
Thanks, I know I need to practice, lol I am doing a full cook practice this weekend, but for some reason, I missed the section on the tubs. I bought a few cheapies this weekend, and a extinguisher as well. I just want to make sure I dont miss the obvious must haves(extinguisher tubs, etc ?) as Im wrapped up in the details.

Seemed a simple proposition, but I can see i'll be packing the kitchen by the time we roll out.

Bayou Boogie BBQ
04-27-2010, 06:22 PM
When it comes to people's safety and health, no rule is odd. There are a lot of things they have left open to interpretation in the KCBS rules because of the way they are (or aren't) written - which they seem to be working on gradually - but this doesn't seem to be one of them.

Do you use 2 extra tubs at home to wash your dishes? Me either. Is it unsafe or unhealthy the way you wash your dishes at home? No. That's what makes this rule odd to me. I have a self contained BBQ trailer. I wash my dishes in a sink just like I have at home with hot water and antibacterial dishsoap. Is that unsafe? I do bring along the required extra tubs and bleach because it is in the "rules". I hate it when people get self-righteous with me.

rle5766
04-27-2010, 06:25 PM
Rain Coat!

big brother smoke
04-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Not being self righteous, but, if you use the wash, rinse, sanitize method at home it would be safer on a 1-10 continuum.

Bayou Boogie BBQ
04-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Not being self righteous, but, if you use the wash, rinse, sanitize method at home it would be safer on a 1-10 continuum.

Since I don't know what a 1-10 continuum is, I'm not sure how to respond. LOL

big brother smoke
04-27-2010, 06:32 PM
On a scale of 1 -10

Bayou Boogie BBQ
04-27-2010, 06:35 PM
On a scale of 1 -10
Oh! Then you are correct. But I still think it's overkill.

SmokinOkie
04-28-2010, 08:11 AM
Thanks, I know I need to practice, lol I am doing a full cook practice this weekend, ...

Seemed a simple proposition, but I can see i'll be packing the kitchen by the time we roll out.

You'll do fine, just take good notes during the practice, with what's suggest here.

Hey you can start a new list for comps from a new guy perspective. Doesn't hurt to pass on what you learn.

The biggest thing I used my practice cook for in the beginning was how to set everything up and pack it (rubs in one box, tools in one, paper stuff in once, etc)

You WILL go nuts the first time with the "I know I packed it now where did I put it"

Oh, on the checklist, don't forget to put the meat. I know I did (once) and others have also, forgotten one of the meats when they left. Packed everything else, just forgot the chicken (it was inside the house fridge, not my contest fridge)

CivilWarBBQ
04-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Cash.

When discover that thing you left behind/broke/don't own, a trip to the nearest WalMart does the trick as long as you have cheddar in your wallet.

early mornin' smokin'
04-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Things I usually forget; food for myself other than bbq, ice, tap for keg