PDA

View Full Version : Competitors Input Needed

motoeric
04-23-2010, 02:46 PM
Hi,

I need to gauge interest and I need it fairly quickly, so your input is very much appreciated.

How interested would you be in participating in an event that:

1) Was a true BBQ contest (standard categories)
2) Was a State Championship and a qualifier
3) Had NO cash prizes and instead had Gift Certificates for particular stores and trophies

and 4, which is the biggee

4) was free to enter.

There would be NO entry fee at all.

That's the general gist. There may be something like a $50 or $75 registering fee that is given back to you when you arrive to ensure that there aren't hundreds of people sign up and then don't show.

Any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

Divemaster
04-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Sounds kind of like Poorque - Princeton WI (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75530&highlight=poorque) except I think that the prizes are better...

Not to beat a dead horse, but I think it's a great way to entice a group that may not have been willing to shell out the cash for their first comp. I like it... Gives me a chance to help others like I was helped a couple of years ago...

early mornin' smokin'
04-23-2010, 02:50 PM
ding ding ding, winner winner chicken dinner, we'd be there, sounds like an awesome idea.

Ron_L
04-23-2010, 02:53 PM
It depends on what store. If it is a local store and I am coming from three or four hours away, then that wouldn't interest me. If it was within an hour or so drive then i wouldn't care. National chains would appeal to anyone regardless of distance (assuming it's more than a $25 gift card :-D)

Lake Dogs
04-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Close bye, yes, I'd be interested. Sounds like fun. Hey, throw in the ability for teams
to actually sell BBQ, and we definitely have a winner!!!

early mornin' smokin'
04-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Eric are you somehow hinting you may be having a no entrance fee comp on long Island some time soon.

BBQchef33
04-23-2010, 03:28 PM
lets say its Kinda like having a contest in the smithaven mall parking lot and prizes are gift cards to the stores in the mall.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
04-23-2010, 03:38 PM
cool trophies??? yes I would do it!!! As long as it wasnt really far a couple of hours would probably be o.k.

Sal

motoeric
04-23-2010, 03:45 PM
To clarify, it's not the Smithhaven Mall, but that's a great analogy.

Also, there is nothing currently set. Just some possibilities we are looking into.

Eric

SmokeInDaEye
04-23-2010, 03:46 PM
If I can do Williepallooza, I can do this thing.:boxing:

Kidding aside, sounds interesting.

SmokeInDaEye
04-23-2010, 03:47 PM
To clarify, it's not the Smithhaven Mall, but that's a great analogy.

Also, there is nothing currently set. Just some possibilities we are looking into.

Eric

I'm partial to Roosevelt Field mall.

BBQ_MAFIA
04-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Interested but need Dates.

BogsBBQ
04-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Would be interested, but depends where it was located (i.e., how easy it is for me to get to).

biggs98
04-23-2010, 04:51 PM
I think it sounds like a home run. I'd do it:thumb::thumb:

Cue's Your Daddy
04-23-2010, 07:26 PM
i would be in

nancee
04-24-2010, 10:34 AM
In if date works

ieatbbq
04-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Good Idea however it would ultimately depend on the distance. Keep us posted.

Sledneck
04-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Nope, im in it for the cash!

lcbateman3
04-24-2010, 11:21 AM
It would be great if it was closer to me :)

KC_Bobby
04-24-2010, 11:37 AM
Hi,

1) Was a true BBQ contest (standard categories)
3) Had NO cash prizes and instead had Gift Certificates for particular stores and trophies
4) was free to enter.

Eric

Based on that, the event would be sanctioned right?

Depending on the worth of the gift certificates (value to me) would determine my interest. If HD, Lowes, Dicks Sporting Goods, Best Buy, Sears etc is going to provide a good size payout to top finishers overall and top 10 per category I could be interested. If the gift card payout was worth a small amount it would have to be in my backyard to consider it.

I wouldn't be interested in a gift certificate to Spencer's Gifts, Orange Julius, GAP, Banana Republic, Musicland, Glamor Shots, Build a Bear, - whether it's worth $5 or $1500.

biggs98
04-25-2010, 12:50 AM
I'm hoping something like this takes off, especially if it's on LI. We need more comps on LI.

Smoker'sLoungeBBQ
04-25-2010, 05:23 AM
I'm hoping something like this takes off, especially if it's on LI. We need more comps on LI.

I'm with Biggs, I would pretty much cook any comp on L.I., as there aren't that many opportunities.

MAsQue
04-25-2010, 07:27 AM
If I can do Williepallooza, I can do this thing.:boxing:

Kidding aside, sounds interesting.

If you can do Williepalooza, you can do ANY THING.

Given that prizes are relevant only if you have some reasonable expectation of winning one, I'll go to a free local contest where the prizes are boxes of stale crackers.

motoeric
04-25-2010, 11:24 AM
Nope, im in it for the cash!

I'll see if I can get them to pipe in 'At Folsom Prison' for you. Will that do?

Eric

trohrs123
04-25-2010, 01:11 PM
always willing to support a local contest!!

early mornin' smokin'
04-25-2010, 06:36 PM
let's see, so far I see "chubby hubby", TNT, ma's que, smokers lounge, SIDE(as long as we dont interfere with his busy schedule), im sure BBQ Brethren would try and make an appearance, SLED wants to get paid, and count Early Mornin Smokin in, who else is with us???

timzcardz
04-25-2010, 06:51 PM
We'd be interested.

Tweedle
04-25-2010, 06:56 PM
I would be interested in that, When and where?

speedrcer1
04-25-2010, 07:07 PM
I'm partial to Roosevelt Field mall.

Sunrise Mall, Massapequa. West entrance is 20 yards from Big Daddy's restaurant!
Sounds like a good way to get my feet wetter.

Westexbbq
04-25-2010, 07:14 PM
If you can do Williepalooza, you can do ANY THING.

Given that prizes are relevant only if you have some reasonable expectation of winning one, I'll go to a free local contest where the prizes are boxes of stale crackers.

I'll pass on the stale crackers, but would most likely be there, not square.
Lots of details to fill in, all in due time I am sure.

motoeric
04-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Currently, there is no event planned.

There are no details.

If and/or when that changes, I'll let people know.

I didn't want to investigate possibilities if people weren't interested, hence the questions.

Thanks!

Eric

timzcardz
04-25-2010, 08:42 PM
I also wouldn't be opposed to doing a comp in conjunction with one of the wineries.

Frank Sacco
04-25-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm all about it!!

QansasjayhawQ
04-25-2010, 10:56 PM
OK - are we talking about an actual contest, or merely the concept?

If it's a concept, then that's cool. Who/what is the beneficiary of the contest?

I never enter a contest thinking about the money because I see it all as a donation to whatever charitable cause the event is organized around. Those going for the money obviously haven't run their operations through a spreadsheet. No matter even if you are the T.O.Y. it won't cover your expenses . . . just sayin' . . .

I like the concept - but how are you going to cover the sanctioning fees?

As Schultz would say 'Interestink . . . very interestink . . .'

motoeric
04-25-2010, 11:24 PM
OK - are we talking about an actual contest, or merely the concept?

If it's a concept, then that's cool. Who/what is the beneficiary of the contest?

I never enter a contest thinking about the money because I see it all as a donation to whatever charitable cause the event is organized around. Those going for the money obviously haven't run their operations through a spreadsheet. No matter even if you are the T.O.Y. it won't cover your expenses . . . just sayin' . . .

I like the concept - but how are you going to cover the sanctioning fees?

As Schultz would say 'Interestink . . . very interestink . . .'

The beneficiary's would be the teams who would have another contest to enter, a contest that is free and the possibility of winning trophies, gift certificates and bragging rights...

and

The venue that would be hosting would enjoy having something going on that people would be attracted to.

Why are you assuming that it would be sanctioned? It might be or it might not, but it's not a given.

Eric

early mornin' smokin'
04-26-2010, 07:56 AM
I live out in "wine Country" and could honestly say, there's only a handful of wineries that have the actual free space to do a comp, and if you need any leg work done, i think i would know where to start. PM me Eric if you want me to start poking around

MAsQue
04-26-2010, 09:23 AM
I live out in "wine Country" and could honestly say, there's only a handful of wineries that have the actual free space to do a comp, and if you need any leg work done, i think i would know where to start. PM me Eric if you want me to start poking around

Call it "The North Fork Wine and Swine" competition? Tie it into that weekend of wine tasting that the wineries hold each year? Might sell to the wineries as part of their promotion and opening a tie-in to what is perceived as predominately a beer market?

early mornin' smokin'
04-26-2010, 09:30 AM
MA's every weekend out here is a weekend of wine tasting....But I love the "N Fork Wine and Swine" idea. Would probably be an awesome venue to make it a $1 rib people choice type thing also. I dont have much info or an idea how that works, but i think it would make it a little more interesting to teams that were worried there wouldnt be any money involved.

KC_Bobby
04-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Why are you assuming that it would be sanctioned? It might be or it might not, but it's not a given.

Doesn't an event have to be sanctioned by some BBQ organization for the following - at least the Jack Qualifier part

Sledneck
04-26-2010, 11:25 AM
Doesn't an event have to be sanctioned by some BBQ organization for the following - at least the Jack Qualifier part
no sir, Jack doesnt require it to be a sanctioned event. As long as it has a proclamation with the minimum teams and chix, pork and beef its all good, same gos for the royal

rookiedad
04-26-2010, 11:26 AM
martha clara would be a great place to have this! i also know a guy who owns a winery out there that had expressed interest to me about doing a wine and bbq thing at one time.

early mornin' smokin'
04-26-2010, 11:37 AM
My team mate and i were just discussing martha clara, they have the most open space, Ive got a lot of friends in the wine business, im actually going to martha clara thursday nite and was going to pick there brains as to which weekends they were already booked for weddings and stuff.

RookieDAD, which winery does your friend own, ive been to pretty much all of them!

Cue's Your Daddy
04-26-2010, 11:49 AM
DId i miss where the winery part came up. I am lost. I would be in but who said winery.

timzcardz
04-26-2010, 11:52 AM
DId i miss where the winery part came up. I am lost. I would be in but who said winery.

I also wouldn't be opposed to doing a comp in conjunction with one of the wineries.

I guess I threw it out there.

Sledneck
04-26-2010, 02:45 PM
vineyards to hoity toity for us whitetrash competitors

MAsQue
04-26-2010, 03:03 PM

Just remember to hold your pinkie finger out and try not to swig straight from the bottle. Loud belching after eating and scratching your privates in public will just make you appear more "authentic".

early mornin' smokin'
04-26-2010, 03:07 PM
you should see some of the trash that shows up at these places, in limos. Ive seen more manicured people at a bbq comp than at the vineyards!

Westexbbq
04-26-2010, 03:10 PM

Don't forget that time we cooked and hung out in the Hamptons with the rich and famous.......:bow:

MAsQue
04-26-2010, 03:15 PM
MA's every weekend out here is a weekend of wine tasting....But I love the "N Fork Wine and Swine" idea. Would probably be an awesome venue to make it a $1 rib people choice type thing also. I dont have much info or an idea how that works, but i think it would make it a little more interesting to teams that were worried there wouldnt be any money involved.

I thought I remembered one weekend a year where the wineries did a larger than usual promotion, but that may have been a while ago. (These days, a lot of things seem to have been a while ago.) It is probably too late to work something into the Strawberry Festival, but there's still five months until the Maritime Festival. Both of which already involve food.

Sledneck
04-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Don't forget that time we cooked and hung out in the Hamptons with the rich and famous.......:bow:
exactly my point!if you recall they withheld the photos of us being there :rolleyes:

Sledneck
04-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Will there be a fudge and chocolate contest attached to the event?

early mornin' smokin'
04-26-2010, 03:31 PM
MA's...i Thought about the strawberry festival, there's already a ton of food vendors, and honestly there's no place to put us. As far as the maritime festival goes, that's in the town of greenport, and once again, no real spot for us. Every weekend out there from basically now til november is primetime. We just have to find a place, and honestly someone who really knows what goes into planning a comp(i sure as hell dont even have a clue) besides trying to convince a place.

Smoker'sLoungeBBQ
04-26-2010, 05:09 PM

Agreed, and they're notoriously overprotective of their property, as they should be. I don't think any of them would be too keen on having a bunch of drunk dudes with fire traipsing all over their vineyard for a weekend. I could be wrong though.

Sledneck
04-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Agreed, and they're notoriously overprotective of their property, as they should be. I don't think any of them would be too keen on having a bunch of drunk dudes with fire traipsing all over their vineyard for a weekend. I could be wrong though.

Bingo! I have found in my search that Long Island is not a very BBQ friendly place.

motoeric
04-26-2010, 07:20 PM
You guys realize that vineyards have parking lots, right?

Eric

rbsnwngs
04-26-2010, 07:32 PM
you can count Queer Eye in what ever you decide to do