PDA

View Full Version : Scraping chicken skin

Goddahavit
04-22-2010, 08:31 AM
Hello, all, have my first comp coming up in a month or so, so I have been trying this bite through skin thing....

Well, it sounds easy enough, scrape the skin, to take the fat off.

Well, I'm not having much luck, am I missing something?

Can anyone give me an idea how to cut or scrape this off? I thought I was using a sharp knife, I tried holding the blade straight up and down, and scraping, but nothing seemed to come off.

i tried slicing it off but now I have holes, lol not so good.

obviously I'm missing the technique, any ideas out there?

Thanks, Eric

musicmanryann
04-22-2010, 08:35 AM
You are taking the skin off and scraping the inside of the skin, right?

Divemaster
04-22-2010, 08:39 AM
Part of the scraping process is to remove the extra fat found on the inside of the skin. The other part is to actually make small holes on the membrane to allow the remaining fat to render out on to the meat....

Oopps... I mean that's the theory... not what I do... Really.... Don't listen to the man behind the curtain....

Jacked UP BBQ
04-22-2010, 08:47 AM
Don't waste your time scraping skin, I use to do it and never helped on placing

Goddahavit
04-22-2010, 08:54 AM
You are taking the skin off and scraping the inside of the skin, right?

Yes, inside meat side of the skin.

jacked up, thanks, I appreciate the input, its a nasty thing, and if its not going to help...

I have personal issues with the whole soft skin, so im open for any suggestions as I search for ideas.

Divemaster
04-22-2010, 09:02 AM
I've found that most of the chicken thighs I get have very differant thickness'... I scrape them to make them as thin and uniform as I can...

musicmanryann
04-22-2010, 09:30 AM
Yes, inside meat side of the skin.

jacked up, thanks, I appreciate the input, its a nasty thing, and if its not going to help...

I have personal issues with the whole soft skin, so im open for any suggestions as I search for ideas.

Sorry I had to ask j.i.c. lol.

It seems it may be easier if they were pulled right out of the fridge, it would be more difficult to scrape em'. Just a thought.

ique
04-22-2010, 09:35 AM
I used this method in the past for many years and it was helpful in acheiving good bit through skin.

Remove the skin and flip over.

Start the scraping 360* around the edges where there is significant fat build up. Then move into the center. I found using a dull knife helped, the key is not to tear the skin, especially in the center. You should end up with skin that is almost see through. Take your time, it takes awhile to get the hang of it.

Save the fat to make schmaltz for your breakfast toast :-P

C Rocke
04-22-2010, 09:42 AM
Easiest to do when the skin is quite cold, and we only do one or two at a time, and keep the rest in the fridge until we're ready. Use knife at an angle - go slow, it really takes a lot of time to get the hang of it as others have said.

big brother smoke
04-22-2010, 09:55 AM
I never knew how fat damn thighs were until I started scraping the skin. I do not eat thighs anymore unless they are boneless or I have scraped the skin. Use a knife that is not sharp.

Smoke & Beers
04-22-2010, 09:57 AM

We entered our first ever contest a couple of weeks ago and did numerous practice runs and experimenting with scraping the fat in the weeks leading up to the comp...very time consuming and not that easy of a task...even with a sharp Kiwi knife...:becky:
So about a week before the comp, we decided not to scrape and ended up taking 6th out of 84 teams...not too bad. :thumb:
By the way, the team next to us started prepping their chicken around 11pm and finished around 4:30am and they placed somewhere in the 60's in the chicken category.

Scottie
04-22-2010, 10:00 AM
Honestly, I think it's a waste of time. If you did want to do it, I would get one of these.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31C5R53PYPL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I think it is more important of what kind of chicken you are buying. I have found that the cheaper chicken has thicker skin. If you go natural, the skin is a lot thinner. Just my observations...

KC_Bobby
04-22-2010, 10:06 AM
I hate chicken!

now back to your regularly scheduled thread

Divemaster
04-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Wow, this is rare... I actually agree with Scotty!:tea:!

The quality of the chicken makes a HUGE differance in how much you have to scrape.

Alexa RnQ
04-22-2010, 10:15 AM
I just don't care, as long as any monster fat goobuses are removed, and as long as I never have to eat thigh meat ever again in my entire life.

Goddahavit
04-22-2010, 10:25 AM
LOL you all have great advise, I usually just take off the skin at home.

I'll try with a duller knife, and the cold thing might help, I had all the chicken out as I was doing it.

I did not buy the cheap yellow chicken, but not sure it was exactly quality, I might have to check around a bit.

Thanks, all
Eric

Scottie
04-22-2010, 10:57 AM
LOL you all have great advise, I usually just take off the skin at home.

I'll try with a duller knife, and the cold thing might help, I had all the chicken out as I was doing it.

I did not buy the cheap yellow chicken, but not sure it was exactly quality, I might have to check around a bit.

Thanks, all
Eric

It's funny. One off-seasonw hen I was playing with this method. I tried just about anyway possible. I didn't find a dull knife woukld work. I even tried a putty knife. I found the best thing was a super sharp knife. Even the paint scraper wasn't was good as the knife. The paint scraper has sharp corners, whereas the knife doesn't...

I also know of many cooks will only use the yellow chicken. They say they do it for consistency of the chicken. Honestly, I agree that you can't get more consistent chicken. And if it works for your methods, don't shut the door on anything, because it doesn't sound right. Keep an open mind to trying any method. Experimentation is your friend.

Tweedle
04-22-2010, 11:07 AM
When i scrape the skins I salt them all first put them in the fridge for 30 min or so then use my straight razor and shave them works like a charm.

The Giggler
04-22-2010, 11:19 AM
When i scrape the skins I salt them all first put them in the fridge for 30 min or so then use my straight razor and shave them works like a charm.

Not to be critical, Tweedle, but I hope you're not taking those salted thighs to a competition. Salt = seasoning according to the rules. Even if you are taking off that salt with the straight edge razor. If you were to add any seasoning prior to the official meat inspection, you are in violation of KCBS rules.

Jacked UP BBQ
04-22-2010, 12:25 PM
I have non scraped practice chicken on right now, I am just practicing for skin not anything else. I figured I would feed the office crew, just some store bought rub and sweet baby rays. I will let you know how the non scraped skin came out.

2Fat
04-22-2010, 12:43 PM
ya know if your chicken is so juicy when the judges take there 1st bite that it is running down their chin no one is thinking about the skin too much--just saying--------

SteerCrazy
04-22-2010, 01:29 PM
I put the skins in my brine with the chicken then scrape after the brine. They seem to scrape a lot easier. We took 7th in chicken last year at our 2nd ever comp. I find scraping is a pain and have a new method that doesn't require scraping thankfully

KC_Bobby
04-22-2010, 01:31 PM
So you're scraping them at the comp?

SteerCrazy
04-22-2010, 01:36 PM
So you're scraping them at the comp?

Yeah, I trim at home and bring the trimmed chicken and skins to the comp. Have inspected then put them in the brine on site, scrape after brining.

Uncle Buds BBQ
04-22-2010, 01:47 PM
I'll try with a duller knife
I use a throw away Bic razor. Helps me to get the right angle on the skin. Takes me about 2 hours to do 24 thighs and I cuss every #$% dang minute!

I hate chicken! :twisted:

Jacked UP BBQ
04-22-2010, 01:49 PM
I just did thighes and ate them. They tasted gross like always because I hate thighes, but the skin and tenderness got 8's across the board from everyone. The skin was bite through and didn't trim anything or scrape anything.

Burk504
04-22-2010, 04:25 PM
I have gotten pretty good at scraping the fat with a sharp knife but I HATE it! Takes all of the fun out of BBQ.

Does anyone share tips on bite through skin without scraping? I would be forever indebted to you!

B C BBQ
04-22-2010, 04:40 PM
I have 8 thighs in the cooker right now. They came from Hannaford which means they are all different sizes and shapes and different skin thicknesses. That means I had to resize and I did scrape some of the fat off of the skin(not all). I much prefer the natural chickens I get for the restaurant. They are much more consistent and you can pretty much see the flesh through the skin.

We'll see how these turn out with rub I made and probably a dunk of a modified spicy sweet baby rays.

repoman013
04-22-2010, 04:41 PM
boil them? i hear that works on ribs lol

B C BBQ
04-22-2010, 05:56 PM
Other than the Hannaford sizing issues the chicken turned out great. Bite through tender skin on every bite, every piece(not a single piece pulled off the meat either. Pretty tasty chicken but I am still going to stick with the natural birds, unless I can find some thighs in packages of consistent sizes I can practice with.

I would post a picture but don't know how to do that.

clk219th
04-22-2010, 08:06 PM
We just got into the KCBS competitions. We have only done one so far. The teams that won in chicken turned in chicken thighs that were deboned and skin scraped. We tried the skin scraping at a local competition this pat weekend. What a pain!!!!!!!! And, when we cooked our chicken, the skin shrank up and some of it fell off. Don't know if it's worth the effort if you wind up with skinless chicken thighs to turn in.

Jeff_in_KC
04-22-2010, 08:33 PM
If you pull the skin totally off the thigh, you'll HAVE to pin them back on with toothpicks before cooking or that shrinking is gonna happen. Plus, the toothpicks allow the skin to stretch, thereby making it even thinner.

Oh and the razor thing, I'm tempted to call bullchit on that! One swipe and it's clogged up. I'd have to rinse and clean damned near between every stroke on the skin! Maybe that's why it took two hours to do! LOL!

I'm making it official to end the Lady Schick stuff... I no longer (at least not now) cut the fat off, partly because I'm using such high quality bird that it really doesn't require it. But when I did scrape fat, I basically filleted it off with a VERY sharp Japanese steak knife. Worked great! And slicing it off really does work better when the skin is cold. The method I used got us several first place bird turn-ins over the last three years. Maybe it was more the recipe but it worked great for us.

bodcat
04-23-2010, 01:06 AM
I apologize for hijacking the thread, but what brand of chicken does everyone use? It all looks the same to me in the grocery store.

Alexa RnQ
04-23-2010, 09:09 AM
We've used plain old multipack chicken from Costco.

Woodreaux BBQ
04-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Sam's Pilgrim Pride. Not jacked up with broth.
I scrape skin and it does take a couple of hours. I go through 2 multi pack to get 12 comp chicken thighs. The rest we feed the crew and guests Friday night. Cheap and quick food along with some pit beef

Podge
04-23-2010, 12:35 PM
[QUOTE=Divemaster;1259262]Wow, this is rare... I actually agree with Scotty!:tea:!

The quality of the chicken makes a HUGE differance in how much you have to scrape.[/QUOTEt

that makes 3 of us

RobKC
04-25-2010, 12:06 AM
I used to scrape, but no more. It would take a couple hours to prepare 12-16 thighs for a comp. Most of the time I use Smart Chicken from HyVee or Price Chopper. If Whole Foods has decent sized thighs, I'll use them.

Jeff_in_KC
04-25-2010, 02:31 AM
I used to scrape, but no more. It would take a couple hours to prepare 12-16 thighs for a comp. Most of the time I use Smart Chicken from HyVee or Price Chopper. If Whole Foods has decent sized thighs, I'll use them.

And the Sugar Creek Chicken Champ should know, right? :clap2::clap2::clap2:

markpmc
04-25-2010, 08:18 AM
Here are my thoughts. Scraping the skin is not much fun at all. I think we're all going through extra trouble to remove fat that will render during the cooking process IF we slow down and let it cook longer.

I went down this scraping path all last year and my scores were worse. I know that some are having success w/ this method, but remember the fat should render if you cook long enough.

Mark

Dale P
04-25-2010, 09:25 AM
I use my dremel tool with a fine drum sander. Only takes 1 minutes per thigh.

Be careful and make sure you wear goggles, rain coat, and hip waders.

Or just fillet the fat off with a Rapala knife.

lsffbabw
04-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Here are my thoughts. Scraping the skin is not much fun at all. I think we're all going through extra trouble to remove fat that will render during the cooking process IF we slow down and let it cook longer.

I went down this scraping path all last year and my scores were worse. I know that some are having success w/ this method, but remember the fat should render if you cook long enough.

Mark

How low do you have to go in order to render the fat on a 6-8 ounce piece of chicken? Seems to me you would have that little thigh good and done by the time you could get that fat rendered.

markpmc
04-27-2010, 07:51 AM
How low do you have to go in order to render the fat on a 6-8 ounce piece of chicken? Seems to me you would have that little thigh good and done by the time you could get that fat rendered.

My current experiment using leg quarters is 2-3 hours in a smoker. This renders all of the fat and as you pointed out does take the chicken nearer to 200. The next step is a butter or sauce jacuzzi. I don't have the times worked out for everything, I don't have another contest until the fall. IT's time for the beach down here on the gulf coast.

Mark

Born2Smoke
04-27-2010, 02:02 PM

Oh Touhce Matt....Chicken Liposuction has worked just fine for us. We haven't placed lower than 7th (besides Arkansas...lol) with our chicken since we switched.

ique
04-27-2010, 03:03 PM

But *not* scraping hasnt helped you with placing either, right? :laugh:

Jacked UP BBQ
04-27-2010, 03:09 PM
But *not* scraping hasnt helped you with placing either, right? :laugh:

I have just had really bad judging:roll:. I just started not scraping and 56th in salisbury is like a top ten to me in chicken!:crazy: I would love to tell you the new method for roc city, instead I will waive to you from the stage!:boxing::thumb:

Jacked UP BBQ
04-27-2010, 03:13 PM
Oh Touhce Matt....Chicken Liposuction has worked just fine for us. We haven't placed lower than 7th (besides Arkansas...lol) with our chicken since we switched.

Well I haven't placed better than last!!!!:pray:

KC_Bobby
04-27-2010, 03:19 PM
I'm considering going scrapeless this weekend ... I'll continue to ponder that until I start trimming chicken later this week and then decide based on how much fat I have bought.

Meat Burner
04-27-2010, 09:33 PM
Not to be critical, Tweedle, but I hope you're not taking those salted thighs to a competition. Salt = seasoning according to the rules. Even if you are taking off that salt with the straight edge razor. If you were to add any seasoning prior to the official meat inspection, you are in violation of KCBS rules.

I would agree as well. And brining would be the same infraction. Anyone else have any thoughts about this?

CivilWarBBQ
04-28-2010, 12:17 AM
If you pull the skin totally off the thigh, you'll HAVE to pin them back on with toothpicks before cooking or that shrinking is gonna happen.

Have to disagree with you there Jeff.

I remove the skins and replace them and have never used a toothpick. Shrinkage is no problem for me with my cooking method.

NateOwsley
04-28-2010, 12:23 AM
Have to disagree with you there Jeff.

I remove the skins and replace them and have never used a toothpick. Shrinkage is no problem for me with my cooking method.

I don't have any problems either 95% of the time, every once and a while one will shrink up, but if you can get them to overlap when you put them on the pit, you shouldn't have any problems with shrinkage.

Finney
04-28-2010, 05:49 AM
There's shrinkage?!?!?!? :shock:

LOL :redface:

roksmith
04-28-2010, 06:03 AM
I would agree as well. And brining would be the same infraction. Anyone else have any thoughts about this?

Yup.. if you're doing either of those regardless of the reasoning, you are still seasoning prior to inspection.
It's fine onsite after inspection, but not at home prior to.

I've also not needed the toothpicks.. as the skin seems to re-adhere to itself and the meat.. but if I finish them on a hot grill, got to be careful not to put them seam side down or the skin will pop apart.

jmoney7269
03-13-2013, 07:30 AM

we just won a GC in La Grange TX last weekend. we just kinda got really serious this year. used to we just went because we knew alot of people there and just partied. well cookoffs get to expensive when you do alot of them to just party. to answer your question, i would think cooking @ 350-400 would do it. this is gonna be my plan of attack. on our chicken halves turn in or even bite sized peices we always get great bitethrough non fatty skin and we dont do any thing special besides the marinade and seasoning. it probably has alot to do with the cooker imo but we will see. we get whole 4.5 lb fresh young chickens done in 1hr 10 min. super juicy, nice skin, and tasty.

Goddahavit
03-13-2013, 11:18 AM
we just won a GC in La Grange TX last weekend. we just kinda got really serious this year. used to we just went because we knew alot of people there and just partied. well cookoffs get to expensive when you do alot of them to just party. to answer your question, i would think cooking @ 350-400 would do it. this is gonna be my plan of attack. on our chicken halves turn in or even bite sized peices we always get great bitethrough non fatty skin and we dont do any thing special besides the marinade and seasoning. it probably has alot to do with the cooker imo but we will see. we get whole 4.5 lb fresh young chickens done in 1hr 10 min. super juicy, nice skin, and tasty.

Wow blast from the past, lol still a good topic, but quite a bump!!

jmoney7269
03-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Google search! That's where it took me, this is my home BBQ forum now, so had to read it. Legends (useful threads) are never forgotten

Kave Dweller
03-13-2013, 12:44 PM
Part of the scraping process is to remove the extra fat found on the inside of the skin. The other part is to actually make small holes on the membrane to allow the remaining fat to render out on to the meat....

Oopps... I mean that's the theory... not what I do... Really.... Don't listen to the man behind the curtain....

I believe the last time I talked to you about chicken you said, "i've never had first place chicken". It was St Charles where you won first place a couple hours later. . . .

Buzzsaw BBQ
03-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Our team uses a four inch metal putty knife held at a slight angle. This works awesome and the cooked chicken come out perfect. For what ever its worth.

JUST SMOKIN'
03-15-2013, 12:34 PM
I had an old fart that used to skin mink skins tell me that I should get a pkg of cheap plastic picnic knives. I hold it at a 45 degree angle and use a light sawing and scraping motion, starting from the middle. Works great. The fastest way I ever did it. No holes in the skin and you can read a newspaper through it !

polishdon
03-15-2013, 01:49 PM
I find it easier if you lay the skins out, then "score" the fat with a nice sharp knife, not all the way through the skin obviously. Then I scrape with a serrated clam knife from that scored line towards the outside.

I think scraping is well worth the work. Big pain in the rear, but our scores have always reflected our extra effort.

tnjimbob
03-15-2013, 02:28 PM
I use a cheap spoon from the dollar store to scrape skins. Seems to have a little sharper edges and helps to scoop up the fat as you go. Time consuming and a PITA, but I must have done something right. Got a First Place call in chicken last year.

BC Squared
03-16-2013, 12:39 PM
Don't bother, there are a lot of easier ways to achieve good skin. If you must...use a filleting knife, it works great.

txschutte
03-16-2013, 12:56 PM
This has been an enigma for me. I have scraped skins, but still didn't like how it turned out.

I went to Smart Chicken, and the fat on those thighs seems to be thinner and easier to render out without having to scrape skins.

It just took about 100 thighs to finally realize I was on the right track.

Wampus
03-16-2013, 01:46 PM
Yep....we don't scrape skin anymore since going with Smart Chicken.

......you Quintessential Chatty Farker you....