PDA

View Full Version : Our second contest is soon

Tweedle
04-20-2010, 09:01 AM
I am sure this has been covered a million times but I want to make sure, as I don't want a dq before we start.

We did one contest last year and brought everything in the original packaging and prepped it at the contest. That was a nightmare. I believe I have read that you can prep the meat before ariving as long as it is not sauced marinated or otherwise added to. Is that right? If i can do all of the trimming at home that would save me hours of work at the contest.
Also I had also read on here that you should bring the origianl packaging with you. why is that?

Divemaster
04-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Yes, you can do all of the trimming at home. None of the meats can be seasoned. And yes, it's going to save you a ton of time!

As for the original labels, I've never been asked for them. I normally buy for 4-5 contests at a shot, do my trimming, and then freeze them. The original labels would do them no good. The only thing I would make sure of is the weight of your pork butts (over 5 pounds).

If you're still concerned, contact the organizer and let them know what you are planning.

Mind you, the above is true for KCBS and I don't know how others do it...

monty3777
04-20-2010, 10:38 AM
One thought on this - I ccoked the Great BBQlossal in Des Moines last year and the rules stated that meat must be in the orig. packaging. Knowing that was not necessary as per the rules of KCBS I called Anne and she said that indeed the meat needed to be in the orig. packaging. Here is a link. See the fifth FAQ:
http://www.pork.org/bbqlossal/Default.aspx?c=FAQ

I attended a CBJ class in Des Moines prior to the contest taught by Mike Lake. Anne and I were discussing the "rule" and we asked Mike. Of course Mike indicated that it was o.k. to bring meat already trimmed. HOWEVER, he also indicated (though I don't know why) that if the contest organizers insist on meat that is in it's packaging then you need to go along with that.

All this could have been because the BBQlossal was grandfathered into the KCBS. And certainly the hog didn't come in its orig. packaging. But this experience has always left me wondering just who gets to enforce the rule.

Lake Dogs
04-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Monty, the original packaging might have been a local health authority/inspector
rule.

monty3777
04-20-2010, 11:49 AM
Monty, the original packaging might have been a local health authority/inspector
rule.

Nope, at least that never came up in conversation. Like I said, the folks who organize the contest simply wanted the meat in the orig. packaging. I think a KCBS rep would be able to mitigate if an organizer wanted to push this, though. I have never heard of anyone actually having a problem. However, those wierd exceptions to the rule are out there - and if the president of KCBS says to go with the organizer then I guess that's what a person should be prepared to do.

Divemaster
04-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Yes, you can do all of the trimming at home. None of the meats can be seasoned. And yes, it's going to save you a ton of time!

As for the original labels, I've never been asked for them. I normally buy for 4-5 contests at a shot, do my trimming, and then freeze them. The original labels would do them no good. The only thing I would make sure of is the weight of your pork butts (over 5 pounds).

If you're still concerned, contact the organizer and let them know what you are planning.

Mind you, the above is true for KCBS and I don't know how others do it...

Nope, at least that never came up in conversation. Like I said, the folks who organize the contest simply wanted the meat in the orig. packaging. I think a KCBS rep would be able to mitigate if an organizer wanted to push this, though. I have never heard of anyone actually having a problem. However, those wierd exceptions to the rule are out there - and if the president of KCBS says to go with the organizer then I guess that's what a person should be prepared to do.
I would just drop them a line to be sure... Like I said, I've never run into a problem with it...

JD McGee
04-20-2010, 06:52 PM
What organization is sponsoring / sanctioning the event? I would make sure you have a copy of the rules from them. We trim all our meats at home prior to a comp...the only time we need the original packaging is if we are vending to the public and will be inspected by the local HD. Good luck. :cool:

vexter1
04-20-2010, 07:08 PM
Ditto all of the above - I'm using a local meat provider this year - butcher paper only - checked with KCBS before doing so - totally legit - so no worries for you IMHO.