PDA

View Full Version : Any good BBQ in San Francisco?

Rodney
04-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Hey guys-

We'll be playing in SF today through Sunday, and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good place to grab some tasty BBQ.

Thanks!

-Rodney

dannypat21
04-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Just went to San Francisco for the first time last August and although I didnt try any BBQ EVERYTHING else I ate was awesome. I have never had better food than when I was up there. I think I ate about 6 bowls of cioppino. I was on business but want to go back just to eat for a week.

landarc
04-15-2010, 03:14 PM
To be honest, if I was in SF, of course, I live in the area, I would eat something other than BBQ. It is not what we do best here. If you have a car, I highly recommend Phat Matt's BBQ in Oakland, Great American BBQ in Alameda and Sneaky's if you want to order in, they do not have a place to pick up.

BBQ Grail
04-15-2010, 04:11 PM
If you are near a BART station take the train the Montgomery Street Station get off and walk the .75 miles to Phat Matts...

That is the only BBQ restaurant in the SF Bay area that I can recommend. (Mostly because I have not eaten at them all...)

Tell Matt and Charlotte that Bob and Larry sent you and they will treat you extra special nice. (And make sure buy some Peach Cobbler and Pecan Pie)

Chuckwagonbbqco
04-15-2010, 08:19 PM
Memhis Minnies is on Lower Haight street--I would eat there again. Great American BBQ in Alameda is awesome.

SmokeJumper
04-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Ditto on Memphis Minnies as it is easily the best BBQ in San Francisco with great brisket, pork ribs, chicken, and hot link. Also, don't miss the amazing fried cheese and grit sticks.
Big Nates, Lily's and Roadside are OK at best and only OK if you have to get a fix.
In East Bay two of the legends, Flints and Dougs, have recently closed but Everett and Jones is worth a visit for their hotlink and killer sauces and Phat Matts is decent.

Rodney
04-20-2010, 07:56 AM
We went to Memphis Minnie's. It was good! I liked their sauces, brisket and pork ribs a lot. The mac and cheese was pretty good too. I bought a t-shirt. ;-)

Thanks for the recommendations!

SmokeJumper
04-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Rodney, glad to hear you enjoyed Memphis Minnies. It is just around the corner for us so we eat there regularly when we are too busy to fire up the smoker. The owner Bob Kantor is a real interesting guy who used to be a judge on the BBQ competition circuit. Here is an interesting article about him:
http://bbqjew.com/2010/02/17/bbqampa-bob-kantor/
What are the good BBQ places in the Sacto area?

Rodney
04-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Rodney, glad to hear you enjoyed Memphis Minnies. It is just around the corner for us so we eat there regularly when we are too busy to fire up the smoker. The owner Bob Kantor is a real interesting guy who used to be a judge on the BBQ competition circuit. Here is an interesting article about him:
http://bbqjew.com/2010/02/17/bbqampa-bob-kantor/
What are the good BBQ places in the Sacto area?

There's a place just down the street from me called The House of Chicken and Ribs, and they specialize in fall-off-the-bone St. Louis ribs. I personally think they use way too much black pepper, but other than that, their stuff is really good. That's the only "mom 'n pop" stuff I've tried, so outside of that, there's Lucille's Smokehouse and Texas Roadhouse, both of which I like a lot.

SmokeJumper
04-21-2010, 12:26 PM
I'll have to hit The HOCAR on our way to/from Tahoe this weekend. What were the gigs you were playing in SF?

Rodney
04-21-2010, 12:56 PM
I'll have to hit The HOCAR on our way to/from Tahoe this weekend. What were the gigs you were playing in SF?

Haha... I'm not in a band, but I can totally see how you'd get that from my original post. My wife, my mother in law, my two kids and I were literally playing in SF from Thursday through Sunday. Zoo, Academy of Sciences, Alcatraz, Fisherman's Wharf, Halfmoon Bay, Chinatown... that kind of playing. ;-)

The HOCAR... nice. That name's gonna stick. :wink: I'd like to hear what you think of their grub!