PDA

View Full Version : sub contracting bbq services

bige39
04-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Hey Brothers, thinking about asking a couple of catering companies to outsource their bbq catering to us. We cook it they serve it. Was wondering how would I price the meats, with labor and what i need to to cook with to sell to them or they buy everything and we cook it for an hourly rate. What say you?

Bbq Bubba
04-14-2010, 08:05 PM
I say good luck. :thumb:

Chuckwagonbbqco
04-14-2010, 10:36 PM
I don't think that you will have much luck with contracting cooking for caterers. You could prove me wrong. I cater and do not outsource any cooking--even side dishes and desserts. Most caterers have their own equipment and prefer to cook the meat themselves.

C Rocke
04-14-2010, 10:38 PM
May be better to hook up with a corporate event company - We contract with a few out here.

KnucklHed BBQ
04-14-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm assuming that you would be asking non-bbq type caterer's? It might be something they would consider if they are asked to specifically do bbq...

But most people choose their caterer based on the type of foods they do right? Guess I'm saying that I wouldn't choose a french catering biz and then ask them to kick out some Q for me... ya know?

You might be able to get some restaurants to start carrying your brisket & butts tho so they can offer a true BBQ product to compliment their menu... assuming you're inspected & all dat crap.

landarc
04-14-2010, 11:39 PM
I would also contact event venues, a friend of mine out here just bought into a restaurant that has a thriving room rental business and BBQ is something that was apparently a pent up demand. He does his own cooking, but, I bet you can find some event locales that would be willing to contract some cooking to you.

CivilWarBBQ
04-14-2010, 11:58 PM
In my experience, the only time one caterer subs to another is when they don't have the capacity to cover a job because of its size or double booking. Even then there has to be a good relationship between the two, as it is a very risky thing to hand your customers over to the competiton and trust that they won't take them away.

lazybonesmoke1
04-23-2010, 08:52 AM
If you can prove to the caterers that they will make money using your product I think they will listen. You also have to convince them that your product is far superior to anything that they can get. Take a look at some of the frozen bbq pork products like Austin Blues and see how much they are selling per pound. You have to build a relationship with the caterer because ultimatly it is their name on the line.

big brother smoke
04-23-2010, 10:10 AM
I have nothing more to add that has not been said!