PDA

View Full Version : Ackworth,ga. Fundraiser comp.

nolaman
04-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Just recieved a notice from the Ackworth Business Assoc.about this festival on the lake. Here is the link if anyone is interested.
http://smokeonthelakebbq.com/

Redheart
04-14-2010, 02:36 PM
You interested in pitching in on this one?
it is a little expensive for the prize money but it is right next door.

Lake Dogs
04-14-2010, 02:41 PM
They're definitely priced to bring in only local teams; very close... It would cost me
anther $150 in gas just to get there and back (in an RV). I know, it's about charity.
My charity right now is in her junior year at UGA; daddy funded. To attract more teams,
they might consider some of the other comp's ideas with allowing competitors to sell
their BBQ. Set the price, take a percentage of the gross. Something. Right now
someone would have to take 1st in most everything to break even.

SirPorkaLot
04-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Sounds like a good cause, unfortunately there is a KCBS comp. right down the road on the same weekend. Roman Roast in Rome, GA that will probably get most of the teams.

Redheart
04-14-2010, 03:05 PM
Roman Roast has been full since early Feb at least. They called me as I was first on waiting list and a day later rescinded their offer, because the team backing out decided no to back out. T'ed me off more than just a bit!

SirPorkaLot
04-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Yes the Pro side is full, they are still accepting backyard teams though. The Acworth comp is backyard only as well it looks like

Redheart
04-14-2010, 03:13 PM
Yes the Pro side is full, they are still accepting backyard teams though. The Acworth comp is backyard only as well it looks like

Prize money for backyard is non-existent in Rome, so I am gonna see about Acworth.

SirPorkaLot
04-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Good point

Lake Dogs
04-14-2010, 04:28 PM
Mind you, if it's that close, and Rome is full (with the other major guys being there),
this does have it's draw. They may find it tough to field more than 7 or 8 teams...

$200 entry fee, $100 meat, $50 in fuel (cooker fuel), $30 in stuff [spices, sauce, etc]. Figure without
travel costs you'd have to place first in one and second in another to come close. Me, I'd have win out
just to go home with a smile. I think they're going to have tough sledding, even with Rome full. The good
news is that you probably wont have many teams to compete against. If you're looking for a good warm-up
practice one that's close, this may be it.

CivilWarBBQ
04-14-2010, 07:47 PM
That Acworth cookoff is a bit sketchy. If I had a choice, I'd choose another event, but that's just my personal opinion.

FYI, you are prohibited from entering if you've ever cooked on a team that has won a category in a sanctioned contest. I imagine that includes a lot of you as it does me.

DawgPhan
04-15-2010, 10:09 AM
I would do it for a chance to win the primo grill, but I dont think that I can enter...I guess I have never won 1st in Chicken..I could enter chicken.