http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/thinbluesmokebbq/brisket.jpg
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/thinbluesmokebbq/pork.jpg
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/thinbluesmokebbq/rib.jpg
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/thinbluesmokebbq/Chickenbox.jpg
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/thinbluesmokebbq/bluehog.jpg

BBQ_Mayor
04-14-2010, 07:07 AM
hum...where to start.
Brisket - Slices look too dry and box is messy. Score 6..maybe 7.
Pork - Again, the box is a wreck. It looks like you didn't take time for placement.. Score 5 or 6.
Ribs - ribs don't look too bad. might want to spray with AJ to give it a shine. score 6 to 8.
Chicken. Looks pretty good but hard to tell from a distance. score 6 to 8.

The biggest thing I noticed that would drive the score down was the greens. I know you don't score on greens but if it looks like the greens are tossed in the box..ie, stems up, wilted... then it's going to draw away from the meat.

Lake Dogs
04-14-2010, 07:53 AM
hum...where to start.
Brisket - Slices look too dry and box is messy. Score 6..maybe 7.
Pork - Again, the box is a wreck. It looks like you didn't take time for placement.. Score 5 or 6.
Ribs - ribs don't look too bad. might want to spray with AJ to give it a shine. score 6 to 8.
Chicken. Looks pretty good but hard to tell from a distance. score 6 to 8.

The biggest thing I noticed that would drive the score down was the greens. I know you don't score on greens but if it looks like the greens are tossed in the box..ie, stems up, wilted... then it's going to draw away from the meat.

Pretty much what he said. Largely, all the boxes look as though messy
and greenery just thrown in. Too much greenery, IMHO. Also, while I'm
not certain (has more to do with taste), it's possible that the pork has
too much sauce (overpowering the meat). I wouldn't take off of
appearance for this, but it's probable that the volume of sauce will
overpower the meat.

Ribs, definitely the best box. Shine might help, but not a lot. If you
dont like the taste with a little apple juice glisten, go without it...

swamprb
04-14-2010, 07:55 AM
Brisket: Is that an eclipse? I can't tell if there are 6 identifiable slices of brisket, but assuming they are..they look very dry and unappealing next to the glistening burnt ends. 6
Pork: 6 It looks like you were in a hurry and threw the shredded pork in the box
Ribs: 6 They are not that bad, I would have tried line them up a little more evenly, and probably sauce the sides to cover up the jagged cuts.
Chicken: 6

I'd look for bushier parsley, and pack the boxes tighter with it, again a lot of stems showing, making it look like they were thrown on.

Jacked UP BBQ
04-14-2010, 08:04 AM
Brisket - meat looks very dry. 5
Pork - meat looks ragged and all messy and stringy. 6
Ribs - poor cuts, decent color 6
Chicken - best looking box there 7

Not being harsh, just being honest. Keep practicing and you will get it.

RobKC
04-14-2010, 08:07 AM
Brisket - How many slices are in there? Assuming there are at least 6, I'd give it a 5-6. The burnt ends look OK, but the slices look like they were cooked last week. Spray with a little water for moister look.

Pork - Take your time arranging the meat. The slices in the back are just as sloppy as the rest of the box. 5-6

Ribs - Not too bad. I like bones pointed up. Again, spray with water to make them shine. 7

Chicken - Like the rib box, not too bad. The messy greens do detract from the meat though. 7

big brother smoke
04-14-2010, 08:37 AM
Brisket 5-6 looks dry and the greens are disheveled
Pork 6 appears thrown together
Ribs 6 Need a better knife for cleaner slices
Chicken 6-7 best box

In all cases you need to work on your putting greens. Should look like a well maintained golf course versus a course that was abandoned.

Keep working, you have a base point!

BRBBQ
04-14-2010, 09:18 AM
I'm agreeing with ^^^ I do like the brisket chunks, dry looking brisket
Pork over sauced
Chicken looks good
Ribs need better cut job, but close
I didn't look at the greens at 1st but they are every which way

Scottie
04-14-2010, 09:31 AM
I would just suggest to get a little more involved with detail. Make things look moist even if they are not.

On a good note for you. Your brisket only finished 3 spots behind mine. Mine looked a little different though....

Woodreaux BBQ
04-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Thanks for all the comments so far. The parsley was my first attempt and i do need help. I will try Paul's 7 minute box or his parchment box. Now for the surprise
scores
ribs
887 888 876 977 876 888
pork
978 887 776 778 977 981
brisket
877 877 977 987 999 966
chicken
788 989 987 989 988 888

Alexa RnQ
04-14-2010, 10:07 AM
Your judges are awfully forgiving compared to ours -- I want them!!!
But... 9 8 *1* on pork?! Please tell me that's a typo!

BBQ_Mayor
04-14-2010, 10:10 AM
WOW! :shock:. I'd like to run into judges that giving. Nice work :clap: but keep working at those putting greens.

JohnJ
04-14-2010, 10:11 AM
@Woodreaux BBQ (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/member.php?u=13738). What comp did you enter?

Scottie
04-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Trust me... Those judges were not that forgiving at this contest.. They bombed my brisket and that was my best category for the day. They scored me high in pork and I didn't deserve a 3rd place. It was mushy. I guess I maybe have better plating skills than I thought. Because my pork was garbage.

So on any given day...

BTW, It was in Columbus, Mississippi.

Spydermike72
04-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks for sharing!! I find these very useful.

Bbq Bubba
04-14-2010, 12:57 PM
What % was CBJ's?
I agree with the others, nothing there better than a 7.
Lucky table maybe cause i woulda figured Scottie for all perfect scores judging like that. :heh:

Scottie
04-14-2010, 01:11 PM
100% CBJ's...

I did get all 9's for my presentations last weekend.... :shocked: I just wish those other scores hadn't popped up on my score sheets. But I guess that is BBQ. We don't complain when they over score us... So no complaints by me... As it was a very good contest. One that I would make the drive back for.

What % was CBJ's?
I agree with the others, nothing there better than a 7.
Lucky table maybe cause i woulda figured Scottie for all perfect scores judging like that. :heh:

Diva
04-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Thanks for all the comments so far. The parsley was my first attempt and i do need help. I will try Paul's 7 minute box or his parchment box. Now for the surprise
scores
ribs
887 888 876 977 876 888
pork
978 887 776 778 977 981
brisket
877 877 977 987 999 966
chicken
788 989 987 989 988 888

WOW! :shock:

Scottie
04-14-2010, 01:28 PM
I was just figuring that region scored high. I think the GC was 692... Honestly, looking at my individual scores, you would of thought it was good enough for GC and not 6th place... I quit looking at my scoresheet and started to concentrate on my next contest... The GAB 6 weeks away... :doh:

Woodreaux BBQ
04-14-2010, 10:06 PM
Your judges are awfully forgiving compared to ours -- I want them!!!
But... 9 8 *1* on pork?! Please tell me that's a typo!

no typo!! that was very surprised...finished last in pork

Woodreaux BBQ
04-14-2010, 10:13 PM
I would just suggest to get a little more involved with detail. Make things look moist even if they are not.

On a good note for you. Your brisket only finished 3 spots behind mine. Mine looked a little different though....

Scottie , wished i got to meet you... we were in the back 40 across from the amateur teams and behind a team running there waste water onto our spot the entire event.
I am getting an FEC 100 in May so I will be rid of the 500 gal COS i have been using.

Woodreaux BBQ
04-14-2010, 10:21 PM
100% CBJ's...

I did get all 9's for my presentations last weekend.... :shocked: I just wish those other scores hadn't popped up on my score sheets. But I guess that is BBQ. We don't complain when they over score us... So no complaints by me... As it was a very good contest. One that I would make the drive back for.

Scottie,
Thank you and BBQ Diva for your teams making the effort to come to this contest. Our team competes mostly in benefit competition like Grilling for Life in Madison and the Shriners in June in North Mississippi. We would love to hit the road, but the cost kills half our team and the other half can't miss work that much.

SmokinOkie
04-15-2010, 07:54 AM
You're right it was a surprise, i reduced it down to appearance only, just proves we don't know our scores I guess :crazy:

Now for the surprise
scores
ribs: 888988
pork: 987799
brisket: 889999
chicken: 799998

Woodreaux, I'll say congrats, for posting your pictures and asking for feedback. It's a great way to improve your boxes.

I get so confused when I see 100% CBJ's score appearance like you got. It just shows a lot of inconsistency in scoring.

I'd take the comments here and work on the greens and the placement and let us know how the next event goes.

I'm a CBJ, TC and I cook also. I also would have scored them in the 6 or 7 range for appearance. It's also hard to do with the photos being dark, but we get the general look.

Good luck on your next contest, let us know how you do.

Russ

rweller
04-15-2010, 09:02 AM
no typo!! that was very surprised...finished last in pork

Why did you get a 1. If you don't mind telling. That is a disqualification that has to be done by a REP.

Scottie
04-15-2010, 09:27 AM
Scottie , wished i got to meet you... we were in the back 40 across from the amateur teams and behind a team running there waste water onto our spot the entire event.
I am getting an FEC 100 in May so I will be rid of the 500 gal COS i have been using.

Heck, I was over on that side of the contest plenty! I was over by the Late Night Whiskey Smokers and Blinddog's camp comparing different vintages. I was usually carrying a Clonesicle or a bottle of Tito's or holding a large refreshing shigging cup of my favorite beverage. :thumb: