PDA

View Full Version : Cryovac hole problem

DMDon
04-06-2010, 09:53 AM
I took a couple of briskets out of the freezer on the 1st, to start a slow thaw. I flipped them over on Sunday. this morning I noticed some blood in the bottom of the fridge, I didn't have time to examine in detail, but it must be a small hole. This fridge is only opened 2 to 3 times per week and keeps at about 35 degrees. I plan to use these for a comp this weekend, what are the chances this brisket will be ok untill then? I don't have a food vac large enough to revac it. Will it help it I wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. I'll probably take an extra brisket along just in case, but would really like to salvage this one if possible. What do you suggest?

Scottie
04-06-2010, 09:59 AM
My guess is they should be fine. I've had that happen to me when doing the slow thaw and they were still good. If not, you will know right away if they are bad... Beef is a pretty hardy meat...

KC_Bobby
04-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Does Darren have a large cryo machine?

Will some serious layers of saran wrap help or is that useless?

RobKC
04-06-2010, 10:45 AM
I'd wrap it or bag it to finish the thaw. It should be fine for this weekend.

musicmanryann
04-06-2010, 10:52 AM
They will be fine--happens to me all the time. The outside will discolor a bit from oxidation, but other than that they should be all good.

Jorge
04-06-2010, 10:55 AM
If it's bad, you'll smell it when you cut the cryo. Should be fine, and I'm guessing that you are going to probably be trimming it up Thurs. or so anyway.....

ique
04-06-2010, 11:07 AM
I took a couple of briskets out of the freezer on the 1st, to start a slow thaw. I flipped them over on Sunday. this morning I noticed some blood in the bottom of the fridge, I didn't have time to examine in detail, but it must be a small hole. This fridge is only opened 2 to 3 times per week and keeps at about 35 degrees. I plan to use these for a comp this weekend, what are the chances this brisket will be ok untill then? I don't have a food vac large enough to revac it. Will it help it I wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. I'll probably take an extra brisket along just in case, but would really like to salvage this one if possible. What do you suggest?

Agree that it should be fine. I'd get it out of that cryo though. Then you will really be able to tell if its fine. Maybe get your trimming done early and then re-wrap tight in lots of plastic wrap.