PDA

View Full Version : Weekend in Tucson

Big Kahuna
03-29-2010, 08:15 PM
Hello all, hoping to learn of any good "Q" places in Tucson AZ. Mid April will be heading to Phoenix, but the first weekend will be staying in Tucson for a relaxing weekend. We are a big Diners, Drive-ins and Dive's fans and would appreciate any recommendations that would point us to a good BBQ joint or diner for a memorable dinner.
Cheers,
Big Kahuna

Midnight Smoke
03-29-2010, 08:26 PM
What are you looking for? A classy place, a hole in the wall or just some good food. Personally, Tucson is know for Mexican food. There are a couple BBQ places but to be honest nothing special.

Let me know what you would like and I will come up with a list for you to choose from.

Big Kahuna
03-30-2010, 07:03 AM
Thanks MS, both the wife and I enjoy Mexican food tremendously. We are open to all suggestions. We feel more comfortable in a regular joint as opposed to a classy place but are not adverse to getting dressed up.
Understand about the lack of BBQ spots, so if you recommend Mexican over BBQ we are all for it. We are staying at a resort north of Tucson so one dinner will be there. That leaves a couple of places for lunch and a couple of places for dinner.
Look forward to your suggestions,
Cheers,
Al.

Scottie
03-30-2010, 03:41 PM
I agree about Mexican food and Tucson. One of my favorites is El Charro. I love their Carne Seca. They also have very good margarita's. We always go to the downtown location, just because of the decor and the atmosphere.

Also this place just opened in Tucson... If you really want BBQ.... http://www.jwmarriottstarrpass.com/Tucson-Restaurants-AZ/Catalina-Sports-Bar-and-Grill-34.html

I'd also recommend Pat's Drive In, which is just West of the 10. I believe it is Grande and Speedway? (maybe?). real good chili dogs. And huge order of fries!!!

Big Kahuna
03-31-2010, 01:08 PM
Many thanks to Scottie and Mountain Smoke they have given us excellent suggestions that we will definately be checking out. Once again the members of BBQ Brethren come through in spades. Now I have a real stumper for both of you, where can a Canadian catch an NHL hockey game In Tucson or Phoenix, LOL.
I will cut my loses with your restaurant suggestions and report back once our trip is over,
Thanks guys,
Big Kahuna

mmmmeat
03-31-2010, 08:39 PM
all right... you wanna hit up some good spots here goes,

big burritos and SONORAN DOGS, you have to go to EL Guero Canelo (on oracle and grant {it's the english friendly one})

Pats chili dogs over off speedway and grande is great!!!! good rec on that one

el charro is fantastic

if you ever watched man vs food, he did a show here last season had a few good places .

but you have to get a sonoran dog if you come to tucson, i think it's an unwritten law!!!!

G$
03-31-2010, 10:58 PM
<---- Tucson Native. PM me if you want specifics on anything.

For Q, go to Mr. Ks.

Other than that, eat Mexican every meal.

Visit El Guero Canelo and get a Sammy Dog and Very Mucho Carne Asada Burrito. Take Half the Burrito you don't eat for a late night snack.

Find some green Corn Tamales. El Sur or Lerua's would be good spots for that.

If you go to El Charro, go to the original one downtown.

Mi Nidito is popular, but there are others along 6th that are as good or better (IMO)

For Modern Mexican, Cafe Poca Cosa is great.

BBQ Grail
03-31-2010, 11:19 PM

big burritos and SONORAN DOGS, you have to go to EL Guero Canelo (on oracle and grant {it's the english friendly one})

el charro is fantastic

if you ever watched man vs food, he did a show here last season had a few good places .

but you have to get a sonoran dog if you come to tucson, i think it's an unwritten law!!!!

<---- Tucson Native. PM me if you want specifics on anything.

For Q, go to Mr. Ks.

Other than that, eat Mexican every meal.

Visit El Guero Canelo and get a Sammy Dog and Very Mucho Carne Asada Burrito. Take Half the Burrito you don't eat for a late night snack.

Find some green Corn Tamales. El Sur or Lerua's would be good spots for that.

If you go to El Charro, go to the original one downtown.

Mi Nidito is popular, but there are others along 6th that are as good or better (IMO)

For Modern Mexican, Cafe Poca Cosa is great.

Now I want to go to Tucson!

You've got to forget about BBQ and eat mexican and local regional cuisine.

Big Kahuna
04-01-2010, 06:12 AM
Now look what I've done, so many choices not enough time. May have to postpone my business trip in Phoenix until I check all these places out. Thanks so much!!!
Al

Scottie
04-01-2010, 11:18 AM

el charro is fantastic

The Sonoran Dog is the one thing that I have not had a chance to sample on my visits to Tucson... I am making a note of those location and will try them out! I know right where that Grant and Oracle location is at...

G$
04-01-2010, 08:12 PM
The Sonoran Dog is the one thing that I have not had a chance to sample on my visits to Tucson... I am making a note of those location and will try them out! I know right where that Grant and Oracle location is at...

Sorry Scottie, you gotta go to the South Side location for the real experience.

mmmmeat
04-02-2010, 12:07 AM
yer right there g$ but if no speakie spanish... they not understand ya.... unless ya go down there with a friend "who fits in" if ya know what i mean ;)

Midnight Smoke
04-02-2010, 12:24 AM
yer right there g$ but if no speakie spanish... they not understand ya.... unless ya go down there with a friend "who fits in" if ya know what i mean ;)

Burrito in Spanish is Burrito :icon_devil:-D

JohnJ
04-02-2010, 10:15 AM
I concur on a visit to El Guero Canelo. Great place! Never had anything bad there at the one at Grant and Oracle. Travel Channel's Man v Food was there not to far back, by the way. That location is very busy and popular. (Have a house in Tucson so down there often... just sayin'.)

Have yet to find a really good Q place in Tucson.

John

G$
04-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Have yet to find a really good Q place in Tucson.

John

You did not like Mr. K's?

G$
04-02-2010, 02:11 PM

We'll agree to disagree. :becky:

Never had an order misunderstood, and I enjoy the atmosphere very mucho more than the Oracle location.

JohnJ
04-02-2010, 02:19 PM
After Googling and doing a google maps on Mr. Ks, I have not eaten there yet. I thought it was on the east side where there are a couple of BBQ places that I have tried.

Mr. K's is now on my radar and I will be down in a couple of weeks to get the ol' swamp cooler working. Google street view shows a pretty industrial area there for Mr. K's.... hmmm it might have to be good!

I wish I could remember the names of the places I did eat at. I mean they were just okay but nothing that rocked my world.

John

G$
04-03-2010, 02:15 PM
After Googling and doing a google maps on Mr. Ks, I have not eaten there yet. I thought it was on the east side where there are a couple of BBQ places that I have tried.

Mr. K's is now on my radar and I will be down in a couple of weeks to get the ol' swamp cooler working. Google street view shows a pretty industrial area there for Mr. K's.... hmmm it might have to be good!

I wish I could remember the names of the places I did eat at. I mean they were just okay but nothing that rocked my world.

John

It is in a 60s vintage Circle K. Shares the pad with the Afro American Museum that the proprieter "runs". If you are luck his pickup (complete with colt .45 door handles) will be parked in front.

Mr. Ks is the only Q I'll pay for in Tucson (and in fairness I have not tried ANY of the umpteen places to sprout up in the last 2 years - if they still exist).

mmmmeat
04-03-2010, 11:11 PM
where is this mr. k's, i lived there since 2003, and never heard o it? i lived on the east side.... maybe was on other side of town?

JohnJ
04-03-2010, 11:19 PM
1830 South Park Avenue
Tucson, AZ 85713-1723
(520) 792-9484

45acp
04-04-2010, 08:14 PM
I have lived here for 32 years and eaten at all of the places mentioned and yes they are good. My favaorite is Teresa's Mosaic Cafe, 2455 N Silverbell Rd, Phone: 624-4512. Hand made tortillas in front of you, wider range of mexican food than most all area resaurants, and a great view of the Catalina mountains while you eat. Just my opinion but I do like mexican food.