PDA

View Full Version : How do I set up a comp.?

Chef Jim
03-28-2010, 01:55 PM
This morning my wife and I were discussing how we might do a fundraiser for our favorite local charity. Sharon thinks that my new hobby is the perfect way to do it.

Now mind you I have never been to a comp. so I don't have a clue!:confused:

I have sent an email to the FBA to see if they can be of any help and I need to go to the Town to see if we could use one of the parks. We need to keep it close to home in order to pull it off.

The location seemed good to me because it is easy to find and has ample parking for a small event.

Now the charity can help a little but it is the Florida Outreach Center for the Blind, so I am limited as to how much help I can get.

I was reading a thread here a few days ago about prize money and other things, so I need any suggestions you all can come up with.

How to set it up, sanction, prize, entry fees and how many other things I can't even think of.

No dates are set or anything like that. I think I would like to take my time so I can do it right.

Many thanks in advance, Jim

Rub
03-28-2010, 01:57 PM
Just saw your email and will reply real soon.

Willie's BBQ
03-28-2010, 03:38 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
the man to yalk to

CivilWarBBQ
03-28-2010, 05:37 PM
As an organizer, let me say you absolutely should NOT make any moves until you have been to several other events and done a lot of research, talking to other organizers, cooks and judges.

A BBQ contest takes an enormous amount of work - you'll need months of preparation and many volunteers to help. Best to know what you are getting into before you commit to this big job, my friend.

Chef Jim
03-28-2010, 08:49 PM
As an organizer, let me say you absolutely should NOT make any moves until you have been to several other events and done a lot of research, talking to other organizers, cooks and judges.

A BBQ contest takes an enormous amount of work - you'll need months of preparation and many volunteers to help. Best to know what you are getting into before you commit to this big job, my friend.

This is just the kind of info I am looking for. As I said, I am in no rush as I would like to do it right.

But I still need info as to how to start, Can anyone help?

CivilWarBBQ
03-28-2010, 10:34 PM
As I said, the place to start is to attend other contests. You have to see what takes place at an established event before you will have any context to work with. You can't set out to create the NFL if you've never seen a football game.

Check the FBA and KCBS websites for schedules of upcoming contests in your area. Call or email the organizer in advance, explain your interest and ask if you can help out as a volunteer in some capacity. At the contest, talk to cooks and judges and ask them what they like about that particular event. Ask the organizers what problems they have faced and how they overcame them. Talk to some vendors and ask them for their opinions.

The first time organizers I know who have followed this procedure and visited 2-3 events before getting started had much greater success getting their events launched than those who began cold and learned the hard way. Creating a new event is relatively easy. Having it survive to the second year is hard.

WhiskeyBentBBQ
03-28-2010, 10:57 PM
There is a FBA competition very close to you in Palm Beach Gardens on May 7th-8th. We will be at the competition and can share with you what we look for as a team when selecting a competition. Stop by if you make it out.

motoeric
03-29-2010, 01:40 AM
CivilWarBBQ is absolutely right in that your first step is reaching out to existing events and organizers. Attend as many as possible to try to get an idea of what is happening behind the scenes and what it takes to keep all the balls in the air when you are juggling a contest.

See if you can shadow an organizer at a number of his pre-contest meetings. You'd be surprised to know how many moving parts there are to an event.

In the meantime, you may want to look into having your event at an RV park. They already have predetermined lots that have electricity and water run to them.

If you go here:

http://www.homeofbbq.com/2008/07/comp-tools.html

you will find a calculator that you can d/l that will tell you how much of what you need for your event depending on how many teams are competing (for example, if you enter 30 teams it will tell you how many tables you need, how many judges, how many saltines, etc.).

You will also find a document that details expected costs and possible revenue generators.

Hope that helps.

Eric

Sledneck
03-29-2010, 02:00 AM
Besides what has been said you should definitely cook a contest. Some organizers are really great at what they do but would greatly benefit from trying it themselves. See what the teams go through, need etc

Chef Jim
03-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Thanks everyone! That is great advise! Links, places to go, how to, exactly what I needed.

Whisky, If you are speaking of the Chili Cook Off, I plan on being there. Will definately look for you.

As I stated earlier, have been in contact with FBA and they have already gotten back to me. Am going to their judging class.

If anyone has anything else to add, I'm still here and willing to learn.

Thank you all, Jim