PDA

View Full Version : Please allow me to introduce myself....

bbqneo
04-28-2004, 03:59 PM
I am Chris. Live in the western suburbs of Chicago, and recently bought a Smoke King Deluxe (queer Bandera?) after seeing positive views of the Bandera.

I have been smoking for the last two summers on a modified ECB. First effort was a whole chicken, good, but took a lot longer than I anticipated. (Normally not a problem, but I had a friend over whose chemo required eating on a schedule-oops) Then I moved to whole chicken breasts, and have pleased many a hungry appetite. The biggest endeavor to date has been pulled pork sandwiches. For my daughter’s 2nd B-Day party I smoked 2 pork shoulders (all day and all night) and all our guests were very pleased (there may have been some sympathy votes after they found out I was up until 4am).

I have been thinking of getting an offset smoker for a while, and Menards is located between my house and the hospital where my wife gave birth to our son on 4/14/04. So, one day on a trip home from seeing them, I stopped and found the Brinkmann model, and doing what any good father and husband would do, I called my wife on the phone knowing her to be slightly vulnerable and got the ok to get it.

Unfortunately, it still sits in the box in my garage. Mom and Son have only been home one weekend and I was unable to squeeze in time to get the smoker together and cured. With any luck this will be the weekend.

I hope to be spending “quality time” with the family and the new smoker very soon.

P.S. I am new to groups and posts so I apologize for any faux paux on my part.

Bill-Chicago
04-28-2004, 04:10 PM
You need help putting it together, just let me know.

I'm like 15 minutes from your house.

On second thought, maybe I should post a picture of Slabby, my concrete slab I poured for a grill to sit on. That might change your mind

Welcome Chris. Got couple extra bottles of Southern Flavor seasoning at the house, a staple of sorts for some in the group, so PM me when you want some.

Greg (Parrothead) is about an hour south of us.

Finally some more Northern IL representation in the Brethren.

BBQchef33
04-28-2004, 04:12 PM
WELCOME!! And thats is one help of a babay shower gift ya got yourself...

We toast BOTH your new additions!! You'll be seasoning the bandetra AND changing diapers.. and if ya want, look at the bright side..

get a few briskets going... put them in at about 8PM, and while your up all night for those feedings every 1-2 hours.. throw a log in the firebox too.. you can feed your new baby and firebox at the same time...

damn, u wont be sleepin anyway.. may as well make some BBQ.

welcome.. and congratulations.!

BigAl
04-28-2004, 04:14 PM
Welcome, congrads on that son! Get him started on Q ASAP.

jt
04-28-2004, 04:33 PM
Welcome to the group!

and while your up all night for those feedings every 1-2 hours.. throw a log in the firebox too.. you can feed your new baby and firebox at the same time...

Get him addicted to Q early! Good idea!

kcquer
04-28-2004, 11:21 PM
neo, you are going to need an ass load of cigars. Congrats, baby boy, new smoker, and free admission to the baddest q site in the land. Noticed you must be a Stones fan, more than a few musically oriented brothers here too. Welcome to the Jungle.

brdbbq
04-29-2004, 07:57 AM
Jungle ? It's my paradise. Welcome to the group. I use to live in the great state of "Southern" Illinois.

frognot
04-29-2004, 08:12 AM
Welcome, congrads on that son! Get him started on Q ASAP.

Welcome aboard! Lotsa good cooking advice (and a whole lotta BS here).

Solidkick
04-29-2004, 11:11 AM
Welcome! The boys above did a fine job, I can't add much more!

Bigdog
04-29-2004, 12:41 PM
Welcome Chris. Next time you want to smoke a butt or do a brisket and you want to sleep, just wrap it in foil and put it in the oven. Foil helps keep it moist, and after it is wrapped, heat is heat. 8)

Cuelio
04-29-2004, 10:45 PM
Welcome, bro. I too have the young family mod going. My boy is 13 months. He's still not sleeping through the night. Just put him down a moment ago . . . for the second time. My girl's 3 years old and she gets my ass tired just from looking at her.

You need some sleep - like you don't farking know that. Follow Big Dog Smoker's advice and feel free to finish off in the oven, unless you can take the kids out to visit the bbq. I take mine to help me "feed it" when I'm cooking. They like it. My girl likes the fact that my smoker's name is "Binky" the BBQ. :)

Solidkick
04-30-2004, 01:21 AM
Live in the western suburbs of Chicago, and recently bought a Smoke King Deluxe

I'm like 15 minutes from your house.

Greg (Parrothead) is about an hour south of us.

Finally some more Northern IL representation in the Brethren.

There went the neighborhood........... :twisted:

Again, Welcome Chris!!

parrothead
04-30-2004, 09:28 AM
Welcome Chris, to our neck of the woods. Speaking of wood, I have plenty of hickory and apple. If you ever get down by Morris, get ahold of me, and I will hook you up.

Bill-Chicago
04-30-2004, 09:49 AM
If you ever get down by Morris, get ahold of me,

Hug and Squeeze Mod

brdbbq
04-30-2004, 10:01 AM

Hug and Squeeze Mod

Sounds like a proposition to me.

Solidkick
04-30-2004, 02:08 PM

Hug and Squeeze Mod

Sounds like a proposition to me.

Like i said, there goes the neighborhood.........

Arlin_MacRae
04-30-2004, 04:51 PM
Welcome to the monkey house, Chris!!
Great bunch of folks here. Dive right in!

slat
05-05-2004, 10:47 PM
Welcome to the gang. Congrats on the little one. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Slat

ciret
05-05-2004, 11:10 PM
Welcome Chris, I'm new to this group and the BSKD too.

I'm to the north a bit.

My family mod is going the other direction, 2 of 3 have left the nest and given us a couple of grandsons 4 & 1.