PDA

View Full Version : REVIEW: Dinosaur BBQ, Syracuse

vr6Cop
03-24-2010, 02:57 AM
Monday night I went to Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse, NY.

When you walk in, you smell that it's a BBQ joint. It definitely smelled right. I don't know about the other locations, but this place is definitely a biker place - NTTAWWT. Lots of old biker movie pictures and posters on the walls, and the waitresses look like biker women - NTTAWWT. Our waitress was very friendly.

I had the Ape Hanger Ale, and was impressed. I only had one in order to save room for the meal.

I ordered the Traditional Sampler with sliced brisket, 1/4 rack of BB ribs and 1/4 chicken (thigh & leg). The food was out too quickly, if you know what I mean. It seemed to me like it was there waiting on us. The ribs were too fatty, and the brisket had a little more fat than I prefer (but the fat tasted very good). The chicken was pretty darn good, but I've cooked better.

Their sauce was pretty good and had a balanced mild flavor. I didn't try any of the table sauces.

It was not the best place I've ever been to, but it was VERY far from the worst. I liked it better than Famous Dave's chain. I would definitely go again, given the opportunity.

I would recommend going to any of the Dinosaur locations if you're in NY and need a BBQ fix. :thumb:

The Giggler
03-24-2010, 09:27 AM
Monday night I went to Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse, NY.

When you walk in, you smell that it's a BBQ joint. It definitely smelled right. I don't know about the other locations, but this place is definitely a biker place - NTTAWWT. Lots of old biker movie pictures and posters on the walls, and the waitresses look like biker women - NTTAWWT. Our waitress was very friendly.

I had the Ape Hanger Ale, and was impressed. I only had one in order to save room for the meal.

I ordered the Traditional Sampler with sliced brisket, 1/4 rack of BB ribs and 1/4 chicken (thigh & leg). The food was out too quickly, if you know what I mean. It seemed to me like it was there waiting on us. The ribs were too fatty, and the brisket had a little more fat than I prefer (but the fat tasted very good). The chicken was pretty darn good, but I've cooked better.

Their sauce was pretty good and had a balanced mild flavor. I didn't try any of the table sauces.

It was not the best place I've ever been to, but it was VERY far from the worst. I liked it better than Famous Dave's chain. I would definitely go again, given the opportunity.

I would recommend going to any of the Dinosaur locations if you're in NY and need a BBQ fix. :thumb:

Dinosaur BBQ is a pretty good joint. Lots of atmosphere. Right respectable food. Glad you're experience was a good one.

Apehangler Ale is one of my top 5 favorite beers. Its contract brewed by Middle Ages Brewing, and they use a special yeast called Pride of Ringwood that gives the ale a very clean and distinct taste. Good stuff.

jason
03-24-2010, 10:15 AM
what is NTTAWWT?

The Giggler
03-24-2010, 11:50 AM
what is NTTAWWT?

Not That There's Anything Wrong With That

1_T_Scot
03-24-2010, 07:46 PM
Good review.

I thought there Brisket was good and Pulled pork was really good. Different Day different location. I went to the Rochester location. I bought there Foreplay rub its really good IMHO.

That ApeHanger stuff is really good!

cheez
04-13-2010, 09:27 AM
I've been to both locations mentioned. Maybe not "amazing" bbq, but good, and usually a fun place to hang out. Go late (after 10, I think?) and enjoy the live music, it makes it that much better.

Briney Dave
05-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Its one of my favorite places. loved the sides better than just about any other bbq
the q itself is pretty good maybe not the single best but darn good

put the atmosphere, sides and general fun of the place and its a hit to me