PDA

View Full Version : What to use in our first comp???

Smoke & Beers
03-17-2010, 01:54 PM
So were getting ready for our very first comp...TTD and me...and we are going to do our practice run next weekend.
The tools:
We've got 2 UDS's (2 racks each) which we are both very comfortable cookin' on...
A Traeger Jr. that I won in a contest a couple of weeks ago that I'll admit...I haven't spent much time with, but the few things I did cook on it I wasn't that impressed...
And a buddy of mine is going to loan me one of his Large BGE's to use. I'm getting it this weekend to mess with so I'll have a little experience with it before the test run.
In addition, we'll have 2 Weber OTG's if we need them...

So we're thinking about doing the butts (3), briskets (2) and St. Louis spares (3 or 4 on the top racks) on the drums...and doing the chicken on the BGE. Also considering doing some of the ribs on the BGE...but will that be possible while doing the chicken on it as well? Anyone? How many St. Louis cut Spares can you fit on an Egg? I'm thinking we'll probably leave the Traeger Jr. at home, since I don't want to go through another whole new learning curve on top of using the BGE at this point. BTW, no guru with the Egg.

So what's everyone's thoughts? Be brutally honest... we can take it...

Diver
03-17-2010, 03:04 PM
We used 2 drums, a bullet clone and a 22.5 OTG for our first. 2 butts, 2 brisket packers, 3 stl racks and 18 thighs. Butts on one uds, briskets on a uds, ribs on the bullet and chicken in the kettle.

It will be tough using equipment that you are not familiar with. Whatever you choose, fire em up and get the fire control thing down. I have not cooked on a BGE but the website says 7 racks vertically.

Even with known equipment, the nerves can get you. I had timed everything to the minute. I stubbornly stuck to my brisket plan ignoring the fact that I was cooking more lbs of meat in a cooler temp, higher humidity environment. The result, was a DAL undercooked brisket. The only meat we didn't get a call.

Almost forgot...watch out for the beers too. One of the neighbors came by late that night to check out the UDS. I opened the lid and he said: "You've got a piece of metal on your meat." I said " No way. It's just a shadow or something." he said: "Nope hoss. You got metal on your meat." I said; " Holy ****. There's a farkin piece of metal on our meat!" To this day I can't explain how it happened but the 2" bung had somehow fallen perfectly onto the center of our brisket.:oops:

Smoke & Beers
03-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Diver, thanks for the input! I'm hoping to log some hours on that Egg before the comp...it's April 9-10, but with Easter and other things going on... we only have next weekend to do a full blown practice run...I hope to master the Egg by then and not have any worries...but if I don't, we can rely on my OTG...I've done a lot of chicken on it and have had great results.

Jeff Hughes
03-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Eggs are easy to cook on, use it for the chicken, there won't be enough room to do ribs too.

If you decide to use the egg for ribs, you can get two or perhaps three racks on laying flat. I would not use rib racks for comp cooking.

kindollbbq
03-17-2010, 10:04 PM
I am planning on using 2 UDS's, and a ProQ Excel 20. Both UDS's are double level. Start the (2) Butts on one UDS, and the (2) Briskets on the other UDS. I am going to time my Butts and Briskets so they foil at approximately the same time. And I will time them so that foil time is approximately the time I need to start my Ribs. I will then foil my Large Cuts of meat, and put the Briskets on the bottom rack, and the Butts on the top rack of the same UDS. And then I will start (3) Racks of STL Ribs on the UDS that is now freed up. And then I will cook chicken on the ProQ.

Sounds much more complicated than what it really is.

Anyways, Good Luck

Brandon

Ron_L
03-17-2010, 10:21 PM
Why not just use the two UDS since you are comfortable with them? You can do the butts in one and the briskets in the other until you get to the point of foiling and then move them all into one. That frees up a UDS for ribs. Then when the butts and briskets are done move them into a cooler or cambro and set up the second UDS for the chicken.

Or, do two briskets and two butts and cook them in one UDS. The second one can be fired up in the morning for the ribs and the butt/brisket UDS can be set up for chicken after the butts and briskets are in the cooler/cambro. Unless you really want a lot of left over pork there isn't really any reason to do three butts.

The Pickled Pig
03-17-2010, 11:08 PM
While you could do the whole cook on one, dual rack UDS, I'd probably bring 2 UDS and the BGE from your potential equipment. Get the pork and brisket on the drums around 6A, ribs on the BGE about 8A, foil the butts and brisket around 8:30 and stack into 1 UDS, and then use the open UDS for chicken around 10-11 depending on what you're cooking. You wouldn't need to stack the butts and brisket in 1 cooker until you need the space for the chicken.

Divemaster
03-18-2010, 08:23 AM
I agree with Ron... You could really do it on just the two UDS's. I really don't see you needing 3 butts. I have never really regretted only doing two of them for a comp.

If you do feel a need to bring a third cooker, I would bring the BGE, but watch out, they are not all that easy to move.

monty3777
03-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Ron is on! Your briskets and butts should be resting by the time you do chicken.

Smoke & Beers
03-18-2010, 10:19 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice. We will definitely bring the 2 drums and depending how the test run goes, perhaps the BGE!

TrustTheDust
03-18-2010, 10:00 PM
I also have a George Forman I have been looking to put into good use... Where do you stick those damn wood chips? :confused:

Fat Woody
03-18-2010, 11:01 PM
While you could do the whole cook on one, dual rack UDS, I'd probably bring 2 UDS and the BGE from your potential equipment. Get the pork and brisket on the drums around 6A, ribs on the BGE about 8A, foil the butts and brisket around 8:30 and stack into 1 UDS, and then use the open UDS for chicken around 10-11 depending on what you're cooking. You wouldn't need to stack the butts and brisket in 1 cooker until you need the space for the chicken.

Paul - I've learned more from reading your tutorials than I have in 10 years of trial and error, so with all due respect, can we get a confirmation on those start times? I'd hate to second guess a seasoned competition vet like yourself, but I'm guessing that 6:00 AM start time on the briskys is a typo (or you're switching to hot & fast!).

moocow
03-18-2010, 11:23 PM
Paul - I've learned more from reading your tutorials than I have in 10 years of trial and error, so with all due respect, can we get a confirmation on those start times? I'd hate to second guess a seasoned competition vet like yourself, but I'm guessing that 6:00 AM start time on the briskys is a typo (or you're switching to hot & fast!).
Woody, Pretty sure its not a typo. We put our briskets on at 6 am.

The Pickled Pig
03-18-2010, 11:33 PM

Since we switched over to the UDS and started cooking at higher temps, we like to get the big cuts on by 6A so they have plenty of rest time. But when I oversleep or am hungover, I can start brisket as late as 7:30A and still be fine.

Fat Woody
03-18-2010, 11:45 PM
OK - thanks for the clarification. I was just concerned that the OP might be confused if he were planning a cook at 225-250*; since I admittedly have no experience with either a UDS or cooking hot & fast, I was relating to my own methods and equipment. I may have to give that a try, the sleep would sure be nice after a long night of "marinating"!

Diver
03-19-2010, 10:33 AM

Me too! It's definitely on my recommended reading list for anyone learning to compete or looking to improve.