PDA

View Full Version : Kale

G$
03-16-2010, 03:10 PM
This is a serious, but entirely un-important, question:

Why is Kale prohinbited as KCBS garnish? Anyone know the specifics on this?

Last month as I was picking parsely, my eyes longingly wandered to the kale, as I noticed how nice the heads of Kale looked, how easy they would have been to box up.

musicmanryann
03-16-2010, 03:15 PM
I agree it would look good, but sorry...

12) Garnish is optional. If used, it is limited to chopped,
sliced, shredded or whole leaves of fresh green lettuce, curly
parsley, flat leaf parsley and/or cilantro. Kale, endive, red
tipped lettuce, lettuce cores and other vegetation are
prohibited. Improper garnish shall receive a score of one (1)
on Appearance.

Jacked UP BBQ
03-16-2010, 04:07 PM
Half the judges would never know

Scottie
03-16-2010, 04:09 PM
for any non-sanctioned contest, it's all that I use. Well, I may use some green lettuce, as they make a better bowl... But whether it is in a clam shell or on a cutting board. I love the stuff and I wish they would just change the rukles, so that everyone has to use kale. No lettuce, no parsley, just kale. Keep it consistent.

G$
03-16-2010, 04:30 PM
for any non-sanctioned contest, it's all that I use. Well, I may use some green lettuce, as they make a better bowl... But whether it is in a clam shell or on a cutting board. I love the stuff and I wish they would just change the rukles, so that everyone has to use kale. No lettuce, no parsley, just kale. Keep it consistent.

Scottie, I agree with this. You could ALMOST provide Kale beds to all the cooks just like IBCA provides 'foil garnish'. It is so simple, and really is a nice presentation, but consistent.

(and no, I don't consider this a major issue or problem, but it is a bit of a curiousity)

G$
03-16-2010, 04:31 PM
I agree it would look good, but sorry...

12) Garnish is optional. If used, it is limited to chopped,
sliced, shredded or whole leaves of fresh green lettuce, curly
parsley, flat leaf parsley and/or cilantro. Kale, endive, red
tipped lettuce, lettuce cores and other vegetation are
prohibited. Improper garnish shall receive a score of one (1)
on Appearance.

I know the rule, just curious about the genesis of it......

Alexa RnQ
03-16-2010, 09:21 PM
I would imagine that kale is seasonal in some areas -- a while back I was looking for kale and couldn't find any to save my life. Green lettuce and parsley are ubiquitous, if not always in prime shape.

What makes me nuts is cilantro. Damn, that fragrance is so strong, is there really anybody that thinks their BBQ should smell like that?!

landarc
03-16-2010, 09:28 PM
Why not garnish with collards, then after the comp, you could gather up all the garnish and boil it with some bacon.

musicmanryann
03-17-2010, 10:32 AM
I know the rule, just curious about the genesis of it......

Sorry G$, I read your question totally wrong:redface:--my eyes lied to my brain--a residue of too many nights drinking too much tequila!:sick:

G$
03-17-2010, 11:27 AM
What makes me nuts is cilantro. Damn, that fragrance is so strong, is there really anybody that thinks their BBQ should smell like that?!

This was exactly what I was thinking! Cilantro is OK, but Kale is prohibited!? Oh well. :rolleyes: See you and Vince in a few days.

dmprantz
03-17-2010, 01:06 PM
The only reason I've ever heard given is that the Gary Wells had some kind of super secret reason for only allowing certain types of garnish and forbidding others, and though no one can say what that reason is, some people are sure it existed. In order to keep his intent (whatever it was) alive and true, only certain types of garnish are allowed in his name.

dmp

mobow
03-17-2010, 08:40 PM
I asked that question when I took my judging class. The answer was: Because we said so. And I think that really is the answer. keith

deena
03-19-2010, 07:05 PM
PNWBA banned cilantro this year because of the horrible smell that blocks all other smells when you open the box. Judges here are thrilled!

Smoke'n Ice
03-19-2010, 07:28 PM
does anyone know anyone who has used cilantro?:spy: